Apathy and the Almanac

Come here to tell your tales and meet with others. (In-character talk only)
Talisk
New Adventurer

Apathy and the Almanac

Postby Talisk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:22 am

I, Talisk, being of sound mind and body, do firmly believe the Hunter's Almanac does more harm than good.

Hunting with a friend? Wonderful. Hunting with a mentor? Fantastic. Both lead to engagement that can't be replaced.

The HA makes hunting too easy, and ultimately, does not prepare us for the trials of Valorn.

Let's lock up the copies of the HA. Other thoughts?

Tal
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Never, ever, panic. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kalea
New Adventurer

Postby Kalea » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 am

I think it should be removed. I feel it gives away way too many secrets and makes the game less interesting for newbies. I think the Almanac takes away from RPing and diminishing the role of mentoring new players.

My two copper.

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:47 am

Tal! Are you getting enough sleep? Is this some sort of side effect from all that MSG you've been drinking?

The Hunter's Almanac is the work of many Bunny lifetimes and of others who've risked their lives to gather information so that other lives may be saved. It's a guide. a tool. It doesn't fight for you. Nobody is forced to read it. To suggest that Valorn should ban a work that aids in the fight against Balthazar and saves adventurers from countless hours chained to Life Monuments is... well it calls into question the first sentence of your post!

Jezz
Proud Member of The Hunter's Almanac Logic Team

Will Rook
New Adventurer

Postby Will Rook » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 am

Assuming this as an OOC suggestion, I'd say I disagree totally. The almanac, from what I hear, was created purely through RP, and therefore has plenty of a place in DG, the same as any map that has been created, for instance. The almanac doesn't stop people from hunting in groups, either. Plenty of RP venues are open, whether or not the almanac is about. I think you're overassessing. Of course, I'll leave it to those who actually helped create the almanac to go in depth in its defense, as I'm not one of them. But I've never found it a problem.

Aroha
New Adventurer

Postby Aroha » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:16 am

This is a joke right?

If this kind of logic, if one can call it that, was to be applied fairly and equally across the board then it means that any and all guides (including maps), journals, and fansites as a whole should be baned from existence because they all have the potential to mean that people will use them instead of RP to gain information.

I am forever great full to those who've given of their time and enthusiasm to provide me with such a wonderful, and extremely efficient, almanac.

Due to the times that I am active there have been nights when I've had to wait for hours to finally come in contact with another adventurer to pester them with my questions. Having access to the almanac has made things that little easier for me.

The almanac is only a guide. No one is forced to use it, and just like any guide, individual experiences may differ. I've found many a time that upon inspecting the numbers of the kill stats in different areas for different creatures that I end up training against creatures that aren't necessarily the level suggested in the almanac.

I would be extremely annoyed if the almanac was removed. It gives away no secrets, breaks no rules, if it did I'm sure the gods would have ordered it removed long ago.

We should all be aloud the choice to use the almanac if we wish, we shouldn't have a few people who dislike it spoil it for those of us who adore it.

If you don't want to use it, don't use it.

Simple.

Shade Muen
New Adventurer

Postby Shade Muen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 am

*knocks Talisk over his head with her spoon* Don't be silly!

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:38 am

Doesn't this belong more in an IC part of the board?
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Will Rook
New Adventurer

Postby Will Rook » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:00 pm

Is it an OOC suggestion or an IC one? I'm not sure

As Azure said, though....this is something to be taken up IC. OOC, there is jut absolutely nothing wrong with the Almanac. It doesn't give out spoilers, or anything. I can understand your character, perhaps, having a problem with it ICly, but thats pretty much it.

Least, I think so. I've been known to be deadly wrong before.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:00 pm

If this is an IC suggestion (and I heard it first in an IC situation), then in my opinion it is no different than suggesting that people not use blessings or enchantments or wear demon items. Adventurers can argue for hours about these matters, but ultimately it is each adventurer's own decision.

If, however, it is being seriously suggested OOC that such works, carefully and painstakingly researched and appreciated by so many people -- and whose creators have even been granted recognition by the gods (cf. Royal Cartographer Morris) -- be actually banned by those selfsame gods, then I am absolutely opposed.

Topaz
Last edited by Topaz on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:51 pm

*shakes head* OOC: Tal in his humanity, goofed. This was supposed to be an IC thread. Perhaps it should be moved? Thanks for your patience.

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Granted.

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 pm

IC, OOC, whatever.
1) I've never seen a book that actually makes any kind of hunting easier and I seriously doubt I will.
2) Ultimately any information you might learn from a book might help you.
3) No one forces the use of HA.
4) Even if you use HA, you can hunt with anyone you like.
5) If there weren't HA...there'd be a lot of people asking for something like that.
6) Most guilds have their own lists too.
7) See 1)2)3)4)5)6) agaiin and repeat until you see the light.

Urkki

Ever wondered who sponsored who? Here's your chance to find out: Lineages!

charid for all the contests I forgot to post it for: 29984 ;)

Talisk
New Adventurer

Postby Talisk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:17 am

First, thank you Goddess Miranda.

Urkki wrote:IC, OOC, whatever.

You speak in code, sir. This missive comes as cypher unknowns't to my ears.

Urkki wrote:1) I've never seen a book that actually makes any kind of hunting easier and I seriously doubt I will.

Ahh, I see. I believe Azure has a copy with her most of the time. Take a look at hers if you will, so that we might carry our dialogue beyond blathering bluster.

Be well, and best to all.

Tal

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:29 am

Talisk wrote:
Urkki wrote:1) I've never seen a book that actually makes any kind of hunting easier and I seriously doubt I will.

Ahh, I see. I believe Azure has a copy with her most of the time. Take a look at hers if you will, so that we might carry our dialogue beyond blathering bluster.
Tal

I've seen her copy and I can assure you it's not some magical book that actually helps you with hunting. You can read it all you want, but it won't do the hunting for you. It won't swing the sword, it won't carry the 'loot'. It isn't a dog that helps you track the monsters.

It's just a book. You read it for information and it's up to you how you use that information. Sure the book tells you things about places and equipment but that's all.

Ever wondered who sponsored who? Here's your chance to find out: Lineages!

charid for all the contests I forgot to post it for: 29984 ;)

Jade Silvermoon
Adventurer

Postby Jade Silvermoon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 am

Doesn't the Almanac just give you an idea of where each lv should train.. It sure doesn't give you any idea on how to defeat the creatures or what magic to use. It is good that that information is there otherwise each and everyone of us would be loaded down from others about where to train next or what should I be killing now, because I don't get xp here anymore.. I think I understand both points of view, but I'm inclined to go with it serves no other purpose than as a guide to where your next destination should be instead of running around lost. It has been useful to me and I've sent others there
Char# 146665

My pouch is trapped so beware!!!!!!!

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:22 am

Dear Talisk,

Please accept my apologies for my slight over-reaction at our last meeting. I've given Jeffrey the plat to have the wall fixed though I'm refusing to pay for repairs to the hole in the floor, no matter how hard Jeffrey tries to persuade me, as that was a pre-existing fault in the building.

In the interests of peace, I'd like to suggest a meeting between us. I promise to come unarmed... and unarmoured. I also promise to try not to shout at you.

As a representative of the Clan, I wish to gently persuade you that the Almanac poses no threat to Valorn. If you could only see for yourself how much work goes into maintaining the book so that it can help adventurers survive and live better lives, perhaps you would change your mind about it.
Of course, by the same token, you'll have the opportunity to speak your mind and try to persuade me of the validity of book banning.

The place and time of this meeting I will leave in your hands, should you choose to accept.

Sincerely yours,

Jezzara
Clan of the Shrouded Bunnies
H.A.L.T.

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Re: Apathy and the Almanac

Postby superduck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 am

Talisk wrote:The HA makes hunting too easy, and ultimately, does not prepare us for the trials of Valorn.

Having never used the almanac myself, I do not see how using it would have had a negative impact.

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm

My beleif be that the almanac can be a good aid. You do not have to use it but can be helpful at times.

And like Urkki said
Most guilds have their own lists too.

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 am

This post is In Character. I am writing in Sreip's IC accent. I apologize for any struggles in understanding it:

Talisk,
I have known ya since the Family Three first came ta these lands.
We have spoken many a time.
But never have I heard ya speak this poison.

I speak ta ya now as ya’ve known me. Just Sreip. Someone who did write inna the Hunter’s Almanac anna corrected the words inna it. I ain’t takin what yer sayin personal like. The Almanac no be me book. It be everyone’s.

Yer sayin ya wants ta take away one of the bestest weapons we be havin ‘gainst Balthazar. Knowledge.

Ya says ta let mentors be mentors. Ben’s breath, if’n I could onliest count the number of times I done corrected where a mentor taught someone wrong. Or heard how someone new ta the lands be upset from gettin’ so many differin’ answers from differin’ folks. I no canna remember everythin’, but if’n I mean to teach somethin’ ta someone, I be makin sure it be right. Anna if’n the word of mouth teachin be bein taught several different ways, thanna the right way be harder to puzzle out for thems that no wish ta find out fer themselves.

Ya says ta learn from each other. Cory’s light, if’n folks did that, I would no be teachin folk that been here ages anna ages anna be officers inna guilds what Sunrifter be. Who Balthazar be. Or what the Purification Ceremony was. Or askin folks ta be brave enough ta go to the raids.

This “apathyâ€
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Reesa
New Adventurer

Postby Reesa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:33 am

Wow, Sreip. Very, umm, verbose of you. You sound very, smart. *ducks*

Talisk, *bonks her brother upside the head* just WHAT are you thinking?

Kelea, didn't you help write the Almanac? *looks puzzled*

Jezz, I'm in your corner, dear. I'm sure meeting with Talisk and talking to him sensible like will do the trick. *looks for a staff of sufficient length and passes it to her* Just in case. *shrugs*

*looks around for Hansen* Hansen?? Can I get some help here, please?!
Reesa Ambernight the Virtuous
There is always time for kindness.

Return to “Lord Cory's Social Hall”