Big bug dealing with the server stall

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Big bug dealing with the server stall

Postby Hentez » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:12 pm

edited and sent a PM to CORY and BEN, but this can be done on purpose and needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Hentez on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:16 pm

It's been reported a few times here.

Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hentez » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Right but I am reporting that is can be done on purpose once an hour as the server stalls.. Which is different from the accidentally ones you guys posted about.

Ergo
Adventurer

Postby Ergo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Confirmed, I was able to reproduce this.
May the gods shine their light upon us all.

Ergo -53615

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:33 pm

Ben wrote:Just to check this isn't either:

a) something you can do on purpose OR
b) something that happens often

is it? Cory is in the process of fixing it, but it is a toughy. Just trying to get a feel for how big the prob is... if it is just every once-in-a-while and can't be triggered purposefully, we will be okay for the time being.

(If it CAN be triggered purposefully using some method, for sure please don't post the method in the forum for everybody to see. =P)

Cory
Site Admin

Postby Cory » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:35 pm

This bug appears to be resolved for the moment.
[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/cshow31.html:ob7uupbm]Cory[/url:ob7uupbm]
President/Developer Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/contact.php:ob7uupbm]Click here to Contact an admin[/url:ob7uupbm]

Yulan Marlboro
Adventurer

Postby Yulan Marlboro » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:35 pm

Its still happening I think, i just went in the Blow Hole and it came up id killed two Sea Dwellers at the same time. (which i hadnt)

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Yulan Marlboro wrote:Its still happening I think, i just went in the Blow Hole and it came up id killed two Sea Dwellers at the same time. (which i hadnt)

Did you get double XP or double Gold/plat?

Yulan Marlboro
Adventurer

Postby Yulan Marlboro » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:02 pm

not neccessarily double XP, but yeah i got two different sets of XP of different amounts, plat and drops were as though it was only one Sea Dweller

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:11 pm

I just got double XP and double plat. :oops:

Yulan Marlboro
Adventurer

Postby Yulan Marlboro » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I should also mention this :- i didnt do it on purpose!

sonoma
New Adventurer

Postby sonoma » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:41 pm

I just killed three GFD's without purposely doing it.

sonoma
New Adventurer

Postby sonoma » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 am

Also, to add to this. I've noticed that during server lags, that on occasions, when you attack a beast and do multiple hits of damage and end up killing it, the damage thats suppose to be done tto you isn't fully inflected.

Example:

I was fighting a GFD and one can deal around 1000 damage to me. When a lag in the server happened and I got a like 4 row of the beasts hits agaisnt me and then 4 lines of my damage to it.

After the battle was over, it hadn't even inflicted 400 to me. It was as if the server skipped some of the GFD's attacks towards me.

Yulan Marlboro
Adventurer

Postby Yulan Marlboro » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 am

I mention this in case it helps in some way - I had the router for the internet connected to a different computer, and used a wireless, which always makes mine slow, since doing so I've found it has occured quite a bit more often, then it did when my internet was faster.

Hope that helps in some way!

Viktor Blackheart
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Viktor Blackheart » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:33 pm

Just happened for me, again. It was just one spider I killed but got a small shield and broadsword from it.. and two different amounts of money too.

Demon Spider has been defeated!
Demon Spider has been defeated!
You recieve 0 experience as Demon Spider dies
You have gained 2g 30s for defeating Demon Spider
You recieve 0 experience as Demon Spider dies
Demon Spider takes 3195 points of damage from Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart 's attack, deflecting 1014
You have gained 2g 30s for defeating Demon Spider
Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart takes no damage and deflects 2193 damage from Demon Spider
Demon Spider takes 7898 points of damage from Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart 's attack, deflecting 1046
Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart spots a weakness in Demon Spider's armor and lunges at it.
Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart takes no damage and deflects 2257 damage from Demon Spider
Demon Spider takes 3405 points of damage from Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart 's attack, deflecting 983
Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart takes no damage and deflects 1972 damage from Demon Spider
Demon Spider takes 2860 points of damage from Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart 's attack, deflecting 1045
Iron Knight Viktor Blackheart takes 133 damage and deflects 2315 damage from Demon Spider

*edited to add* I didn't double-click 'quick fight'. Which is sometimes why it happens. Only did it once.

Yulan Marlboro
Adventurer

Postby Yulan Marlboro » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:09 am

I had something else happen with the server stall, not to do with fights, but i post it here in case it helps Cory to work out the problem.

I moved north in the Tall Grasslands and it stalled as it does at the top of the hour and then i looked and it said i had entered the area twice on the same screen, which i hadnt. So similar sort of thing, dont know if that helps but i hope it does.

Ergo
Adventurer

Postby Ergo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:42 pm

Still happening, Here is a copy of the fight text from a young rogue in my guild fighting on the beach on Killican:

Land Urchin has been defeated!
You recieve 1139 experience as Land Urchin dies
You have gained 317s for defeating Land Urchin
Land Urchin has been defeated!
You recieve 8193 experience as Land Urchin dies
Land Urchin takes 168 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 98
You have gained 317s for defeating Land Urchin
Greldan Smokehands takes 79 damage and deflects 121 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 115 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 95
Greldan Smokehands takes 55 damage and deflects 118 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 153 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 95
Greldan Smokehands takes 61 damage and deflects 115 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 177 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 94
Greldan Smokehands takes 49 damage and deflects 115 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 157 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 99
Greldan Smokehands takes 80 damage and deflects 123 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 174 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 102
Greldan Smokehands takes 43 damage and deflects 121 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 153 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 98
Greldan Smokehands takes 49 damage and deflects 124 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 110 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 103
Greldan Smokehands takes 71 damage and deflects 117 damage from Land Urchin
Land Urchin takes 169 points of damage from Greldan Smokehands 's attack, deflecting 101
Greldan Smokehands takes 56 damage and deflects 119 damage from Land Urchin

It looks like his last hit may have been a double click, which gave him full experience for the fight and partial experience for the 2nd click as if it was a partial fight. THIS did not happen at the top of the hour, but there did appear to be a slight lag at the time.
May the gods shine their light upon us all.

Ergo -53615

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi,

This bug is consistently reproducable throughout the hour.

During an hour in which the Kills This Hour said I produced 1673 kills, I was able reproduce a double kill on Ancient Zombies, Demon Scorpions, and Brown Crystal Guardians approximately 15% of the time I had spawned and subsequently chosen to quick fight the monster. On one occasion, I was able to produce a triple kill.

I was fighting using my character El Sinister (#3288) in the N'rolav Endless Desert areas #2665, 2666, 2667, 2668, 2669, 2670, 2671, 2672, 2673. These areas produce the north/south column on the far east end of the desert here.

I can confirm from further testing after that hour, when I produce a double kill, I am netted double the gold for that monster.

When double killing a monster with drops, two items were dropped. These occured fighting the Brown Crystal Guardians, and usually dropped 2 Dull Acient Crystals. However, one instance on a Brown Crystal Guardian netted a Dull Ancient Crystal and a Red Ancient Crystal.

Further testing with another character, Cerberus (36409), on Ravenous Sharks (in Areas 1672 & 1673, the far east end of Midnight Beach) also showed that with a double kill two items would be produced and not necessarily of the same type.

I did not have any instances of Treasure Boxes dropping during that hour or further testing. So, I am unsure how they are affected. I would imagine that you are twice as likely to have a Box dropped, since you are inacting two kills. As opposed to getting 2 Treasure Boxes to drop. This is inferred from the previous report that monsters that drop items consistently will reward 2 items of different types.

Often, while attempting to reproduce the bug, the server would not return a double kill. Instead the order of the combat report text would be altered, such that rounds of combat would at times be reported after the defeat and gold/xp collection from the combat.

In the past, but not tested today, I had found on occasion that when doing regular "Attack" combat for the purpose of experience gains it was also possible to produce a double kill. In those instances, I believe double gold would be retrieved, but the experience return would be slightly different. The combat report would indicate full experience return for the first of the kills and then experience return of a much smaller amount (that which would be awarded if the character had retreated and come back and dealt one attack resulting in a kill and reduced experience). Because experience is only shown to the player in terms of percentages, I am unable to test and report if double kills return experience reward the character the additional experience from the second kill.

El Sinister has about 100 Plat netted from the bugged double kills that can be removed from his purse. I can do this myself if an Admin wishes not to waste his/her time.

The Red Ancient Crystal was the lower of the item #'s between it and the Dull ancient crystal during the double kill, therefore I believe it came from the real monster. I subsequently have already turned it into the Golden Age Knowledge Machine and turned it into gibberish. Any additional items produced from the bug have been left to rot.

Regards.
Cerb

Amendums:
I am uncertain if the practice of double killing is faster for farming of platinum. Getting almost 1700 kills is generally no small feat, but it is not my highest and still 300+ short of the highest kills per hour that I know of (obtained by Kalea). When the double kills occur, it forces the server to spend more time processing scripts and the result is a slower return of files to the querying browser (that is what I have observed). While getting two kills on one spawn would seem beneficial to obtaining plat, the subsequent slowdown may or may not result in less kills per hour. However, it certainly can be assumed that when fighting infrequent spawns and even one time drop bosses, a double kill resulting in double items is definitely a beneficial abuse.

Further, during that hour of heavy killing, I had noticed that the server responded slower during each change of the Marc and I was more readily able to produce the bug. This is in addition to the normal server stall at the hour changes. During the second half of the Marcs, the server also seemed to respond faster on average and the bug less likely to occur.

I was running IE6 on a cable connection while performing the test. On http://darkgrimoire.com. Not www and not www2.
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hentez » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:03 pm

This just happened again to me, I don't think the fixed worked.

Cory
Site Admin

Postby Cory » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Is it reproducible still, or just a fluke?
[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/cshow31.html:ob7uupbm]Cory[/url:ob7uupbm]

President/Developer Grimoire Entertainment Inc.

[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/contact.php:ob7uupbm]Click here to Contact an admin[/url:ob7uupbm]

Return to “Bug Reports”