"Kid Adventurers"

This board will be posted to by Admin when changes are made to the World or to the Code. It is important to check this board at least once every few days to make sure you do not miss a new feature!
Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

"Kid Adventurers"

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:35 pm

Added more functionality for people roleplaying as children. Please see the rules on the document in-game (Kid Adventurer Guide) for more details.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:55 pm

By the way, I did this to support some of the people who CURRENTLY play child characters well and any new ones who would come along in the future... like 1 or 2 or 3. If this new thing leads to tons of people creating alts that are children so that kids start overrunning Valorn, I will get rid of the system and make playing ANY character under 15 against the rules. Children annoy me, but this system is in place to acknowledge that a small number of people can roleplay as them well.

Repeat, if this becomes a new fad, I am torching it... and all the current, good kid roleplayers along with it.
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:15 pm

Alright, this is not working out.

People were buying up the kid items and completely ignoring the rules about them, so I stuck the items in a secret room that required my permission to enter...

little did I know that putting the items in a secret room accessible only by my permission would make them highly desirable. Now I am getting TONS of messages "I am roleplaying a child bla bla bla give me items." The net result is that the world is going to be overrun by children at a rate of about 5 new children a day. Since there are probably about 300 people who play the game "on a regular basis" (log in once a day to play for at least an hour), that means that these people are reproducing like rabbits. Even if we count people who don't play regularly but still can be counted to come on (so we are up to about 1200 or so) that means a population of 1200 is reproducing over 1800 children a year. I'm sure that might be physically possible, and maybe even "fun"... but I'm not too excited about the prospect. Sorry. I don't know why SO many people are desperate to play children and toddlers now, but I'm just not going for it.

See, I've tried several different methods, and it turns out there is just no reliable way to make children roleplaying acceptable. There have been many MANY people who have tried in the last few years, and all have broken rules or just been so obnoxious as to make my eyes bleed... except one. I started this whole new system to try to reward that one person, and maybe one or two OVER THE COURSE OF THE NEXT DECADE who would have her skill in roleplaying a non-obnoxious child.

I was stupid and didn't "look forward" enough to see what would happen. Usually that is my strength, but not this week it seems. I apologize, but I'm going to have to make children against the rules.

This rule does NOT effect any child characters created before the date of the post at the top of this thread. However, and new characters that, in-character, are below the age of 15, will be considered OOC by the constables and admins and are not allowed.

After this experience, I truly believe that disallowing children is the best way to handle the situation in light of our goal of continuing the roleplaying environment of The Dark Grimoire. Yes, this will make a few people sad in the short run, but the effect on the game in the long-run will be positive.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:29 pm

To clarify, that means characters I KNEW about and had judged to be non-obnoxious before the first post in this thread. Basically that is two character: Ruby Falcon and whoever Edenn has that is a child.

Otherwise, if you think your child person thing had interactions with me and did not annoy me, you are free to remind me. Otherwise, perhaps your character would like to have a sudden growth spurt to the age of 15.
Ben

Return to “Game Changes and Worldbuilding”