secondary professions and education points

This board will be posted to by Admin when changes are made to the World or to the Code. It is important to check this board at least once every few days to make sure you do not miss a new feature!
Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

secondary professions and education points

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:00 pm

No, they don't do anything. However, over the next several weeks they will become your gateway to earning secondary professions.... such as Weapon Artist, or Chef, or who knows what else.

Weapon Artist will, of course, be first, since it is already created. Anybody who has ideas for other potential secondary "skill" classes is free to start a thread in SUGGESTIONS, although, as always, I will be making the decision of what ends up in the game at the end.
Last edited by Ben on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:13 pm

As a note to current, tester weapon artists: be aware that your temporary weapon artist status will be turned off sometime in the next week or so, after I implement the real system. So be wary of purchasing large amounts of supplies.
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:26 pm

Here is how education points will work... at least, this is my initial idea for the concept. It may be tweaked.

When you reach 100% for a level, you can either go to a trainer as you do now to level up, or you can go to an educator (or whatever, not sure what they will be called yet).

If you choose the educator, it will be like levelling up, but instead of getting a level you will get education points equal to your current level.

So a level 12 person goes to an educator and hits "Educate". That person's XP will go down, just like levelling... but instead of getting one level and going up to 13, you will stay level 12 and get 12 education points added to your total. You will need so many education points to "purchase" training of a secondary class.

You are basically "skipping" a level of getting better at fighting to get better at domestic crafts. You can do this as much as you like. So you could forego levelling from 12 -> 13 5 times to get 60 points. Then you could level from 12 -> 20, then skip another 5 times to get 100 points (20 times 5) for a total of 120 so far in your career.

Just FYI, since everybody out there is wondering how this will all work.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:41 pm

Also, remember as you are posting ideas in this thread ( http://www.darkgrimoire.com/forum/ftopic4020.html )... the idea of these secondary professions is to give people who sit around in the inn more to do and roleplay with. So these professions dont have to be useful, although they certainly can be (like weapon artists). For instance, the Chef will probably not be that useful, but it will be cool, as you can be commissioned to bake cakes or other things for special events, etc. Think art and trade skills.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:43 pm

...... and this is all premium only, of course ...... =)
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks for all the input. For now, I plan to have an introductory 4 secondary professions: Weapon Upgrader (really need to think of a better name), Chef, Artist, and Jeweler.

The Weapon Upgrader will basically work just like the current 4 people do. The fact that this is the only really "powerful" secondary profession will be limited by its small scope... I think I will not add any more upgrades than are currently in the game, at least until my fears that everybody will pick this 2nd profession prove to be false.

The Chef will be able to buy ingredients and then combine them in recipes. For instance, a cake may require Sugar, Grain, and Eggs. An omelette will require Eggs, Cheese, and Meat. Etc Etc Etc. You will make food by using a "recipe" item, which will check to make sure you have the right items, and then create the food item from it.

The Artist will combine skills in poetry, music, and visual arts. The music part will consist of playing instruments, like are currently in the game. The rest of the functions for poetry and visual arts will be finalized later.

The Jeweler will work somewhat like the chef, combining different jewels and metals to make all kinds of ornaments and perhaps other items as well.

Right now the plan is for all this to be done sometime in about June. I will not have time to work on it heavily until May/June because of finals, etc. Secondary professions will not be put in until four secondary professions are ready to roll out. Out of necessity, people who already have skills in playing instruments, or upgrading weapons, etc will have those abilities reset, and they will have to earn those skills back just like everybody else.

Suggestions for more secondary professions can still be made in the suggestions forum. Because secondary professions are made to help roleplaying, they do not need balancing like the normal professions, so it will be much easier to continue adding them as programming time allows.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Tue May 03, 2005 4:22 pm

This will probably not be done in June. I have decided to take summer classes and work seven days a week. Therefor, I will be focusing on smaller projects, like expanding the world piece by piece to give more areas to explore, and to raise the top level to over 50.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu May 26, 2005 6:29 pm

Just in case anybody is planning their life around it, secondary professions MIGHT not be happening. We are leaning in other directions for development, which is about as non-vague as I will get on the subject.
Ben

Return to “Game Changes and Worldbuilding”