Looking for an icon artist

This board will be posted to by Admin when changes are made to the World or to the Code. It is important to check this board at least once every few days to make sure you do not miss a new feature!
Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Looking for an icon artist

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:25 pm

Looking to recruit another icon artist. You should be good at making really tiny art! You will be working mostly on items. If you are interested, submit a short paragraph saying why you want to be part of our overworked, unpayed staff, along with a sample icon. The sample icon should be of The Holy Ring of Light that clerics get from the Altar, or of The Sword of the Warrior, as sold in Ryndall. The correct size for an item icon is 25x25. A sample will be posted below of an already-existing icon:

Item icons have that little gold star in the upper left corner, and have either a black border or a gold border (see other items in-game for more examples).

Yes, if I get more than one great submission, I am willing to take on more than one new artist.

This is an UNPAID position, with NO MANDATORY HOURS or work requirements, although if you stop making stuff you will probably be taken off the list, naturally. ;) There are no benefits, except the neat thing of getting to see your icons in the game. This is not a worldbuilder position, so you will not be getting access to in-game tools. However, you will have access to the GRAPHICS forum where the artists and admins communicate!!! Only cool people can see it!!! Plus you will get on my good side.

Please send submissions to: [email protected]

Remember... all submissions become property of Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Last edited by Ben on Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:33 pm

PS. we save our icons in GIF format, usually optimized to no more than 16 colors (to save bandwidth)

Also, the trick of the trade is to draw the majority of the pic at about 80x80 or so, and then shrink it to the right size, and then color it in. Just some tips. ;)
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:03 pm

This is still going on. I have only had a few submissions so far... anybody else interested in the spot? If so, please email me your submissions ASAP so I can make a decision. ;)
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:59 pm

I will be replying to people about this position this week, so if anybody is interested who has not submitted a sample... now is the time to do so. =)
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:17 pm

Alright. I am serious this time. I finally turned in my brief today, so the most hellish part of law school (legal research and writing) is OVER AND DONE WITH.

Now I am SERIOUS about getting a new icon artist. I will be emailing back the people who have sent me submissions so far... I am very sorry it has taken so long.

HOWEVER, now we need ANOTHER person who can do icons. This is for more of a one-time deal. Unlike our other icon artists, the person we need now needs to do a certain number of a certain type of icon really quickly. Because there are more constraints on this group of icons, a prize will be offered in the way of benefits...

1) BENEFITS
You will get one month of premium for free, after the completion of the project to our satisfaction. One month of premium will get you all the features of people who pay for premium... as a way of thanking you for your work. If you are already a premium subscriber, we will credit a month's payment back to your account.

Additionally, you will be awarded access to the graphics board, which is hidden to all normal players and will be given an in-game title after your character name (on your main character.) This title can be anything you want, but should have SOME relevance to art etc (must comply with the rules of the game, and be proper for the roleplaying environment... we get to approve).

2)THE POSITION
We are ready to implement avatars for premium users, so players can have in-game pics next to their names just like the admins do. The only problem is we don't have any avatars.

We need somebody to make 2 male and 2 female avatars per each profession. That is a total of 20. On top of that, we would like it if you could make each of those avatars at least 2 colors, which would ratchet up the count to 40 potential avatars (so, like, a knight wearing gold armor and one wearing silver look exactly the same except they have different colored armor). 20 different looking avatars is a hefty project, but you would gain all the prizes listed above and would be world famous in Valorn. =)

To "try out", merely make an example icon of a male or female enchanter, cleric, warrior, or rogue and send it to me at [email protected].

For an example of size and style, see Pete the Potion Guy in Dundee. Please make sure submissions are in GIF format, and are no more than 32 colors... 16 preferred.

Submissions are due by 9:00PM Pacific next tuesday, March 16. Stay tuned to this thread, as the rules and things can change as we think of new problems, ideas, or prizes.
Last edited by Ben on Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:18 pm

Oh... forgot to mention... if you already sent in a submission to be an item icon artist, you can also try out for this avatar icon artist position, too. The same person can be accepted for both position, no problem.

The difference between the two jobs is that the first icon artist just is more of a laid back job, making item icons when you can... the avatar icons need to be done within the next month, which is why we are offering free premium and other incentives.
Ben

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:07 am

Thank you for the submissions that were turned in by tuesday. Due to spring break, I will not be emailing in response until March 30th. If you sent a sample in, you can expect a message from me that day.
Ben

Return to “Game Changes and Worldbuilding”