Other forum update stuff,mainly search bar

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
Sreip
Veteran

Other forum update stuff,mainly search bar

Postby Sreip » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 am

1) I can now log onto these main forums and post without having to be logged into DG first. No windows are up containing the game or any other DG related sites. Using latest version of IE.

2) The search option appears buggy. I can't search anything it seems past 30 days ago. I can still manually go through the pages and read, but saerching doesn't seem to work. Could be connected to the problem reported in the other forum update thread about how links to older posts are essentially dead links.

Thanks.
Last edited by Sreip on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Sreip
Veteran

Re: Other forum update stuff

Postby Sreip » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 pm

And update on these two bugs.

1) Is still true.

2) Can search for a specific author of a post, and the search option will bring up everything they've posted. But if you type in a certain word or phrase, it won't go much past six months it seems. I specifically tested posts 30 days, 60 days old, 90 days old, 6 months old, 1 year old and older and searched for words within the title or within the message, game or item specific words. The search option tells me there is no match when I have the post up and reading it in another window. Even with advanced search, you get no matches. For example, I specifically searched for the term "hotkeys" within the slected Q&A forum, and got no matches, Even though that thread that contains that word is from February 2008 and is still on the page of topics posted in that forum thread. I searched the words "rogue armour" and "rogue armor" with all forum areas selected and got no matches, despite there being a huge thread from Feb 2007 about adjusting player stats due to rogue armour issues. And the word "leap" within the Contest and Events section, no matches, when there was a Leap Party posted back in Jan 2008. For everything I used "All times". and "post subject and message" to try to find matches. I even tried to be specific with just post titles or only within the past year.

So it seems telling people to search the forums for answers, or to search the forums before posting something to see if it's been posted before, are not good pointers at all since the search option does not seem to work like it used to.

It is then understandable to me that we get are getting repeat posts of questions or suggestions because the search option is telling people there is no match, so the person thinks they're being original and that it's okay to bring up. And with a forum of this size, very few people will take the time to flip through the hundreds of pages and review thousands of topics to see if something they're curious about has been posted before. They'll just use the search bar. And I know how time consuming it is when you know the answer to a question, and have to go through so many pages to find the post you were thinking about.

It's been like this since the forum update. Hopefully everyone can be patient and understanding while this bug gets looked into.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Re: Other forum update stuff

Postby superduck » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Sreip wrote: But if you type in a certain word or phrase, it won't go much past six months it seems.

Won't go past the forum update, to be precise. And that's probably no coincidence. =)

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Return to “Bug Reports”