Not enough light

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
aerthiamar
New Adventurer

Not enough light

Postby aerthiamar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:38 am

I am fighting under the Wall, where I have been training for several days. Until today, my Amulet of Righteousness provided enough light to see. Now it doesn't. I was blessed by a cleric with both Infusion of the Morning Star and Infusion of the Light of Knowledge, both +1 Light, and still am getting the "This area is too dark to be visible to your eyes" Is this a bug, or have the dark areas been tweaked perhaps?

Char #: 51047

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:54 am

Enchanters have those enchantments not Clerics, but I might add that Eldrin Ivanshine is also having this problem. I had to bless him with Brilliant Light.

aerthiamar
New Adventurer

Postby aerthiamar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:59 am

[quote="Xanthias"]Enchanters have those enchantments not Clerics, but I might add that Eldrin Ivanshine is also having this problem. I had to bless him with Brilliant Light.[/quote]

You're right - it was an Enchanter. Sorry about that, all you enchanters. :)

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:44 am

The further you go in the wall, the darker it gets. Were you travelling to an area you had hitherto not travelled before?

aerthiamar
New Adventurer

Postby aerthiamar » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:54 am

[quote="Xia"]The further you go in the wall, the darker it gets. Were you travelling to an area you had hitherto not travelled before?[/quote]

No, this was an area I had been to quite a bit. In fact, even the service corrider (the first hallway down from the surface area of the Wall) was too dark to see without light enchantments, which hasn't been the case before. Previously, the light from my amulet alone was sufficient, but now I'm finding that I need the amulet, the two enchantments, plus my scarab shield before I can see, which I've neever had to have before.

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:58 am

As I said about Eldrin, the strange this is I was standing in the same spot as he was. It was immediately after dropping down into the lowest portion of The Wall. I could see fine, but he couldn't see at all. I was lit up like a beacon with all of my random things. I had to cast Cory's Brilliant Light on him before he could see and he already had light Enchantments on him.

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:03 am

I experienced something similiar in the musty room. Eldrin and I were there, and sometimes I saw something, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes without Islander I saw, and with him I didn't.

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Ergo
Adventurer

Postby Ergo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:01 pm

I too noticed this yesterday. When I dropped thru the hole into the lower passageway, it became too dark to see. I have been there several times with the same equipment and been able to see just fine. Maybe Balthazar was hanging around.

Xanthias comment brings up another issue. If two players are standing in the same spot, should not their lights combine for both to see?
May the gods shine their light upon us all.

Ergo -53615

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:51 am

Incidentally, I talked to Ben about this because I checked the light levels, and they seemed to be what I thought they always were. Some areas require more light than others, but these areas have always been this way. I checked how much light was required for what area and if I needed more light than what the area called for. I did not. So I am not able to replicate this problem if there is one. There are areas where 3 light is required. There are areas under The Wall where even more is required. That has always been the way. My only thought on this is that maybe people have forgotten that they used to be able to stack light spells and now 1 spell caster cannot give a person enough light if the adventurer only has an amulet of righteousness.

Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Alfin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:30 am

Madam Xia,

I too ventured under the wall immediately after Cory the Magnificent had updated the servers.
Prior to the update, I could venture to all areas except the darkest. I would do so with a light of 2 (flaming shield and the amulet of righteousness).
After the update this was no longer true.
A while back the light requirements were changed under the wall enabling me to venture without the blessed ring. It appears that these changes have reverted to their prior status, 3 light throughout most of the wall and 4 light in certain areas.
With the blessed rings no longer being sold, this will make training under the wall more difficult for unenhanced players ie. warriors and rogues.
This may have been intentional to promote roleplay, and I applaud the wisdom of our gods for this. It only appears that most adventurers were caught off guard by these changes.
If not an intentional, there has definately been a change to the light requirements under the wall. This started with the server update and the command to run around like crazy from Cory, to test the update.

Please excuse my ramblings, I am only trying to convey all of the information I had on the change that happened Tuesday night.

Humbly yours,
Alfin Slowhand
--- There is only one truth, but many views of it.

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:45 am

Maybe the area was bugged to need too little light to explore. Now it's all fixed.
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:48 am

Well, ok. It reverted back to its prior light levels, in that case. However, no admin was perturbed by the level of light requirements when I told them what they were. We are aware of the light requirements in The Wall and we do not find them exorbitant. We may give some thought to it due to the fact that spells can no longer be stacked. But you all can stop reporting this bug. The light levels are just back to the way they always had been in the past.

aerthiamar
New Adventurer

Light sources

Postby aerthiamar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:15 pm

First, if this comes off like a rant, please forgive me, it's not meant to. The purpose of the post is to express my confusion as to how this issue of light will be resolved. I also understand that there are many changes being implemented, and if this is just a case of, "Aerthiamar, shut up and deal with it - we're not finished yet," then I will humbly accept that.

I understand that under the Wall was always meant to be a very dark place, and the further under you go, the darker it is. Makes perfect sense, and if it hasn't been running that way for a while and has simply reverted back, no problem.

However, there are certain points that have been raised in this thread that I have spoken with very seasoned adventurers about, as well as reading the forums, and have not been able to get a clear answer:

1. The "stacking" of light sources in an area was mentioned. I was under the Wall with my amulet and scarab shield (2 light total) standing next to someone with the same two items plus a holy ring for a total of 5 light on him and 7 light in the area, yet I could only see him, and nothing else. I thought perhaps that the rings/spells/etc. were meant to provide sort of an "inner sight" that allowed the person to see in the dark, but that wouldn't seem to explain flaming swords, scarab shields, etc.

2. Regarding amulets, both the amulet of evilsbane and the amulet of righteousness are described as, "When in the dark, it emits a light far brighter than any torch," which isn't true. A sturdy torch is brighter in terms of light numbers. This may just be an old, un-updated description, but it seems a bit misleading as is. Was it initially intended to be brighter than it currently is, or will it be made brighter (especially when it's improved to one of righteousness)?

3. This whole issue also raises the concern of parity. It was mentioned that those who are not able to bless/enchant themselves (warriors and rogues) are now at a disadvantage, *especially* since the Blessed Rings have seemingly disappeared. My character is a level 27, which means that many of the creatures I would train on are soul leaches and large soul leaches, who are now in an area I can't see in without enhancements from majick users. Clerics, on the other hand are able to equip an item that is a 3 light, and, with an amulet and/or shield, can see, without the need for any spells at all. I am concerned that this results in too much of a disparity between the professions, or a dependence on the majick users,given the lack of other purchaseable (is that a word?) sources of light for warriors and rogues.

I look forward to comments.

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:22 pm

I can provide some simple info.

When it's too dark to see, you can still see other the links for other characters. As for not being able to see with total light of 7 in an area, I don't know.

Amulet of Evilsbane used to be a light source 2.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm

Darn, I didn't know the amulet of evilsbane was so buggy and bad. I'll delete them all when I get home later. It is the oldest quest item in the game, so is likely to be outdated anyways when compared to newer cooler quest items you could use instead, so I guess they aren't really necessary to the game anymore. Good catch.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ergo
Adventurer

Postby Ergo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Is that an evil grin on your face Ben? :D
May the gods shine their light upon us all.

Ergo -53615

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:14 pm

:/ What you mention has always been the case for as long as I have been around, Aerithimar (I hope I spelled that right, I'm not going to go back to check). That was always the point of dark areas. That non spell casters have to ask spell casters to help them out to encourage RP, just as spell casters have to ask rogues to do certain things for them, etc. This is why certain quests are designed for more than one person. So you don't go around Valorn alone.

Cory
Site Admin

Postby Cory » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Just to let everyone know, I'm probably not going to look into light issues until early next week or later. I am busy with the installation OF DG onto our new server.
[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/cshow31.html:ob7uupbm]Cory[/url:ob7uupbm]
President/Developer Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
[url=http://darkgrimoire.com/contact.php:ob7uupbm]Click here to Contact an admin[/url:ob7uupbm]

Return to “Bug Reports”