Taking potions in mid battle

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Taking potions in mid battle

Postby Thomas Covenant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:37 pm

I was battling two centaurs in the mountains and after defeating one I was able to take health potions before continuing the battle with the other one.
Both were attacking at the same time so I reckon I should not be able to take potions between defeating one and continuing the battle with the other - is it not a simulataneous attack by both creatures?

I remember a similar bug a good while back when you could drink during battle with one creature - that is not what happened this time around as I could not drink during the battle with the both of them or in the battle with the final one - only after defeating the first one.

This was at about 16.35 BST 14/08/05
Character Jesper Covenant.

Dunderbach
New Adventurer

Postby Dunderbach » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:11 pm

Is this the first time you noticed this? I've done this quite a number of times, I never considered it a bug. I just thought that if we're being attacked by two centaurs, for example, one from the left and one from the right, after we kill the one on the left we can run to the left while drinking potions and then engage the one on the right... :D

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:29 pm

Yes first time I noticed it, but my understanding of the battle mechanics was that they attacked simultaneously therefore you would not be able to drink a potion. When you look at the battle screen you have one attack and two defensive movements - so they must be attacking together.

The similar bug I mentioned above that was fixed is in the same vien , in that you shouldn't be able to do anything else whilst in battle, no matter if there is only one attacking or a whole host of them.

But I'll leave it to the admins to see if it is a bug or allowable.

If you see things like this happening or anything that doesn't appear to be as it should best thing is to report it, as once a bug has been identified anyone exploiting it may end up getting smitted so hard they could loose so much experience that they might not be able to wield the weapon they have and start again from a lowly level.
Best to err on the side of caution.

micaya
Experienced Adventurer

Postby micaya » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:54 am

A similar "bug" if you call it that....

If your in the middle of a battle, and an item is on the ground, you can pause your battle by picking up the item, using health potions, and then resuming battle.

If thats a bug, then training is going to get a lot harder ^_^

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:00 am

Micaya, you mean that if you're fighting 1 monster, you can drop something, pick it up, heal, and continue fighting without retreating? That really sounds like a bug........

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

calisto
Veteran

Postby calisto » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:24 am

Definately.

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:17 pm

No wonder it takes me ages to level (about 9month between them now), I play fair :cry:
I'll need to try the one myica said, just once to see if it does occur. If it does then that must deffinately be a bug.

**shouts out loud**

Look demon you droped something

**demon looks down to see**

rather sharp knife enters demons vitals

It would be a neat little trick if it was allowed!

calisto
Veteran

Postby calisto » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Heh, I'm sure most people do it the fair/right way. I never even know you could do that until now, never needed to do that since I usually hunt things a couple of lvls below me.

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:37 pm

I just tried it with a cleric, but he couldn't heal himself.

edit: my initiate couldn't heal either. But Hentez can? :?
Last edited by superduck on Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thorin the Dainty.

And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hentez » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:37 pm

micaya that is a huge bug... I just tested it and can confirm it

EshthalaShadowwolf
Veteran

Postby EshthalaShadowwolf » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:41 pm

I always thought that because your only damaging one of the two that whenthe first one dies it's like the situation where you can heal before you start a fight again as you haven't struck the other one yet though it's been thumping you in the back while your beating up his best friend. I'd asked before if it was a bug and had been told it had always been like that. I don't know as a noob I believed almost anything
DG Portrait Gallery
The mark of the purple paw is upon you

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:09 pm

I always retreat one click after defeating one of them recharge then go set about the other one - though sometimes theres two when I get back again :?

Whispers to Esh: "If you give me all your platinum you'll mysteriously advance 4 levels " :twisted: :twisted:

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Well, this is something that only Cory can fix, so temporarily I am greatly increasing the cost of potions in an effort to remind people of the wonderful free clerics in towns. ;).
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:34 pm

**This forum is now focusing on the bug with picking things up and then healing**

Okay, playing as a level 19 enchanter I can't get this bug to work. I need people to figure out what kind of circumstances make it work, because clearly Hentez can do it, but ol superduck up there said he cant. We cant fix it until we figure it out, and potions stay expensive until we can fix it. }=D
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:40 pm

Okay, here is an important question.;..... if somebody "cheats" by doing any of these things, are they getting the full amount of XP?

The way XP works technically is that while youa re in a battle, it stores up in a buffer as you hit the monster. Once the monster is defeated, the XP in your temporary buffer is transfered and added to your main XP pool.

Technically if you are in battle mode, you cant use potions. So if you exit battle mode, whether that is by dying, retreating, or picking something up, and then go back INTO battle mode, you should have lost all the XP in your temp pool (since the temp XP only transfers to your main XP if you kill a creature). If you exit battle WITHOUT killing something, the temp XP should just disappear.

So do these cheats and see if you are getting the full amount of XP you usually get from that monster for me, please.
Ben

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:42 pm

Jade Silvermoon tried too, but can't either. Maybe it's a bug with a level requirement? :wink:

Thorin the Dainty.

dagobert
Experienced Adventurer

Postby dagobert » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:49 pm

I just fought a Malignant Horror:
I hit the Horror once, dropped a scroll, hit it again to make the scroll appear, picked up the scroll, recharged my power (which I normally can't do during a regular fight either) and healed myself.

That was in a NoXP battle. I will go try it in an XP battle.

Dag
Image Image
The only way for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Hmm.....as Dag says, in a no-xp battle it works. My lvl 23 cleric did this trick against a lvl 17 creature, and it worked.

Thorin the Dainty.

dagobert
Experienced Adventurer

Postby dagobert » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Also, while in the lower tomb, fighting a Tomb Wretch, I "picked up" the stone plinth and was able to heal myself.

On my way to an XP battle....
Image Image

The only way for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:58 pm

Is it only in a No XP battle that it works? The only way Ive tried it is in an XP battle, and I couldnt get the bug to show up.
Ben

Return to “Bug Reports”