Warning: Potentially Compromised

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
Zanaan
Veteran

Warning: Potentially Compromised

Postby Zanaan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:42 pm

it seems the main page of the forums /may/ be compromised, as every time I attempt to visit it (or a few other parts of the game) I get a pop up that tries to take you to a phishing/hijacking site that attempts to hold your PC for ransom. Be very careful until admin can figure out what is going on with this. If you do end up on the site, you will have to open task manager, alt tab back to task manager (it will attempt to keep tabbing back in to the phishing website) and manually close your browser.

I recommend running adblock on the site for now, but be aware that even with it running on mine it still will occasionally get through.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Re: Warning: Potentially Compromised

Postby Zeric of Admin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:55 pm

We're not aware of any current security issues affecting the forum or the game. We encourage you to check your own machine for malware and malicious extensions to ensure this isn't a localized issue. If anyone else is experiencing this problem then do let us know, here or via email, but we've been unable to find any evidence of an issue on our end thus far.

We'll update this thread if we find anything in further investigation or receive further reports.

- Z

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:58 pm

As it is I am only getting popup warnings on DG (forums and game) while other sites I typically visit are safe, and my malware scan came up clean.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Coder of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Coder of Admin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Zanaan wrote:As it is I am only getting popup warnings on DG (forums and game) while other sites I typically visit are safe, and my malware scan came up clean.

It doesn't make a lot of sense that both the game and the forum would be compromised with the same exploit since there is no connection between their structures. I would also be able to see the offending code because we use version tracking software so any variations would be flagged either as uncommitted changes or in the commit log.

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:14 pm

We haven't had any further replies or other emails regarding this issue, so at the moment assume that it is not a problem that is affecting DG itself. Please let us know if this changes.

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:17 am

After doing a good number of checks it seems to be an issue with the chromium browser. Why it was giving popups only on DG I'm not sure, but chrome itself has seemed fine in the interim.

Return to “Bug Reports”