'Null'

Place bug reports here. Be as detailed as possible so we can try to reproduce the errors.
Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

'Null'

Postby Hojo Musachi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I've just had 'null' appear twice in guild chat after pressing enter. It showed for Doyle and it cleared when Doyle and I refreshed

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Re: 'Null'

Postby Zeric of Admin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:45 pm

What did you type in the box? We are aware of issues relating to certain special characters.

- Z

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I don't have an exact quote I'm afraid. I used the £ symbol in the first instance... I don't remember in the second

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm

I have had this happen whey copy and pasting Stats for items

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 pm

This has happened loads to me, ever since the chat box layout changed. It usually shows the text within thirty seconds of refreshing, though. (No special characters are ever used by me, because they show up weird!)
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Coder of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Coder of Admin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:17 am

Short answer: It's a restriction at the database that requires a lot of messing around to fix.

Nerd answer: while MySQL is happy to default to the UT8 character set, it has an "interesting" implementation that only allows 3-bytes per character. Any of the (extremely common) 4-byte characters can not be written into the column and therefore are entered with no value (null). You would think that switching the character set would be simple and just work...... you'd think.

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:35 am

Dabria wrote:This has happened loads to me, ever since the chat box layout changed. It usually shows the text within thirty seconds of refreshing, though. (No special characters are ever used by me, because they show up weird!)

Think this is different, also happens a lot to me but they load after. Says something like 'Error: no text n shiz' :roll: *legit*
~ Stop throwing bread at me I am NOT a duck! ~
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow48789.html

Coder of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Coder of Admin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:56 am

Long story short, I've fixed a large number of these issues but I'm totally expecting someone to come back and tell us their obscure emoji character didn't work (I tested the important stuff... you know... like the poo).

In that situation, I would say "OMG, panda!"

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:13 am

Oddly now whenI out in £ It goes in fine, then turns into:

Zanaan the Unsartorial says
THE NOCTURNAL HAND "£"

After refreshing

Same goes for any other non standard currency or emoji I use, so might just be a relic of old code.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Coder of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Coder of Admin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:55 am

Zanaan wrote:Same goes for any other non standard currency or emoji I use, so might just be a relic of old code.

"non standard"
:lol:

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:03 pm

Coder of Admin wrote:
Zanaan wrote:Same goes for any other non standard currency or emoji I use, so might just be a relic of old code.

"non standard"

Ouch, Zanaan.That hurt! Anyway, I have no idea why you are using that currency sign. Everyone knows that the sign for Monopoly money is $! :P
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Coder of Admin wrote:

"non standard"

Hehe...nonstandard. Like we don't have a decent split across the pond.

Live life with no regrets.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Question marks in diamonds have been showing up in places. Dundee Inn to name one, looks like in place of ` or '

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:34 pm

Image I can confirm the Dundee inn.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

aryana_moonsong
Experienced Adventurer

Postby aryana_moonsong » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:28 pm

The ? in diamonds seems to be in place of apostrophes as in Ary's bio there are all replacing them. Not sure if they are replacing other things as well.
*grins roguishly* Oh I just love being a rogue...dark corners, slipping through the shadows...*gets distracted suddenly by something bright and sparkly* and...SHINIES!!! *pounces on it and looks around* My...shiny...*pets the shiny*

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:29 pm

aryana_moonsong wrote:The ? in diamonds seems to be in place of apostrophes as in Ary's bio there are all replacing them. Not sure if they are replacing other things as well.

I had one in Dabria's profile, but it was replacing a comma ...
~Richard~

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:30 pm

aryana_moonsong wrote:The ? in diamonds seems to be in place of apostrophes as in Ary's bio there are all replacing them. Not sure if they are replacing other things as well.

I had one in Dabria's profile, but that was replacing a comma.
~Richard~

Coder of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Coder of Admin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 pm

ImageImageImage

Brielle Erawind
Adventurer

Postby Brielle Erawind » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Coder of Admin wrote:Short answer: It's a restriction at the database that requires a lot of messing around to fix.

Nerd answer: while MySQL is happy to default to the UT8 character set, it has an "interesting" implementation that only allows 3-bytes per character. Any of the (extremely common) 4-byte characters can not be written into the column and therefore are entered with no value (null). You would think that switching the character set would be simple and just work...... you'd think.

Actually, Nerd answer is kinda hot....totally incomprehensible to me, but, yeah. :D

aryana_moonsong
Experienced Adventurer

Postby aryana_moonsong » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Coder of Admin wrote:ImageImageImage

Ohh! Panda bear!! *forgets whatever else they were all talking about to watch the major cuteness* :D
*grins roguishly* Oh I just love being a rogue...dark corners, slipping through the shadows...*gets distracted suddenly by something bright and sparkly* and...SHINIES!!! *pounces on it and looks around* My...shiny...*pets the shiny*

Return to “Bug Reports”