Guild Halls That Contribute to the Setting

A place to post what you like about the game.
carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Guild Halls That Contribute to the Setting

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:30 pm

In game descriptions of public guild hall areas are the most direct contribution to the game that guilds can make. New players can travel to all but a few guild halls while still first level, and I think that when they read those descriptions, they consider the information equal to any other area descriptions made by Ben and other World Builders. The descriptions contribute information and flavor to DG's game setting by which new players form impressions of DG. I think area descriptions and NPC descriptions are more influential than player characters' interactions on a typical DG day because it's easy for a new player to ignore other player characters, and it's also easy for tolerant new players to dismiss goofy stuff they read in chat as unrepresentative of the game. But area descriptions, including public areas in guild halls, seem a permanent, official part of the game world.

Recently I surveyed the guild halls in DG for the first time since September (except for those whose guilds I knew to be disbanded). I want to compliment some guilds for public area descriptions that, in my opinion, are outstanding for their positive contributions to the quality of DG's setting. Part of what accounts for my assessments is the belief that descriptions of buildings, natural settings, or magical effects that try to exceed Valorn’s official wonders (e.g. Caer Laleldan, “the only surviving Great Templeâ€

sashtan
Experienced Adventurer

Postby sashtan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 pm

thankyou carlo for your comments about my guildhall i'm glad you liked it i will pass on your comments to my members as they all contributed to the descriptions

Ergo
Adventurer

Postby Ergo » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:03 am

Thank you Carlo. The Beholder's and I are very honored that you have included our hall in this esteemed list.
May the gods shine their light upon us all.

Ergo -53615

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 am

Carlo, thank you for taking the time to review the guild halls in your original post and offer up some pointers on improvement.

I appreciate that you took the time to seriously consider and review the halls. Our hall was and is a group effort. Thank you for your kind words.
Also,
[QUOTE=Carlo]
I have not confirmed this, but the number of characters mentioned in the descriptions makes me wonder (or wunder) if all the current active members are given their little detail. [/QUOTE]
You are correct in your estimation. CSB is a home. People leave their mark on where they hang their hat.

Thanks again.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

jimmykitten
Veteran

Postby jimmykitten » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:28 am

thank you for including our guild hall on the list. i did specifically attempt to address the things you mentioned and it makes me happy to see that my attempts are noticeable to others. our poor guild hall fell by the wayside since i've been so sick recently. i've only just regained my health and i do plan on getting back to expanding our poor neglected hall. i was hoping to get to it after my battery of doctor visits, coincidentally. within a few weeks i hope. thank you very much for your kind review of our hall! i look forward to strolling through the halls of those mentioned in this rave. of course, my characters are very at home at the csb hall and the 22 hall.

i think you offer a great service in giving pointers to guilds. i know that i and many people have taken inspiration from areas that we enjoy in dg in building our hall, however your pointers take that one step further so that we all have a good base to start construction and have a firm foundation.

Despy
Adventurer

Postby Despy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:24 pm

Any plans on posting about other guild lots? I'd be interested to hear about how you find my guild's work in designing the hall. I'm sure there are many other leaders and members who feel left out too.

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:50 pm

My intent was to praise the guild halls I thought were the best models. They show restraint in design, creativity in concepts, style, and execution. I don't want to sully the rave with critiques of all guild halls. For those interested in my personal expectations of guild halls, see the opening paragraphs of my rave and the DG Discussion thread that I referenced in small text at the bottom of it.

That said, I'll PM Despy to discuss my thoughts on his guild's hall.

Corwin Skyborn
Social Leech

Postby Corwin Skyborn » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:20 pm

I wonder how many guild halls go through an evolution starting from their beginnings where the creators just want to get the hall built so they can be proud and then ending up months later where they have enough points to go back and rewrite the original descriptions to better reflect their desired atmosphere.
Trying to make sense of gods and goddesses has led many men to ruin. I suggest you avoid it from now on.
-Ben-

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Thank you indeed for the comment about the Twenty Two guildhall.

There is a pedagogical technique called positive reinforcement. May I congratulate your usage ;)

Shannara
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Shannara » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:08 am

I have been to most of the guild halls some by accident for getting lost. And i think they all add an intresting knowledge and a very welcome feel affect in most of them. Although i dont see alot of them used much which is kinda disapointing.

Return to “Raves”