The Battle of Ryn

A place to post what you like about the game.
Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Re: The Battle of Ryn

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:48 pm

This was by far my favorite admin event -- ever. Even without any loot; the best loot there could be was finding and rescuing our returned. Feeling sweet little Bobo squeeze Ellys hand was all the loot she needed. Sure, it took a long time to get where we were all going, and my hand (more resembles a claw today today then a hand) aches from the massive amount of non-stop clicking / healing I was doing for the trip inside - but I would do it all over again. Thorne and Viviyana you guys are stars. Very patient ones. :)

You can totally see and feel the love for DG and all the thought and work that goes into every bit of the game world and its story and every single event since Miranda and her team took over years ago - and I thank you so much for it. For years before that I felt like we / out characters just existed in the land of DG, not lived but you've all made us really feel connected to our world and allowed us to help shape it and again, couldn't be more thankful.

Once inside it was totally fantastic. Still don't know how I got so lost but thank you Gunthield for making sure I got back before the finale - because THAT was TRUE insanity - and although Ellys allegiance and loyalty is to her queen and her Gods she did feel empathy for......what was happening. (Do not want to give spoilers) but there are so many different feels right now. And when we entered the last chamber I thought "this is it - I've played too long, lost my mind and am totally seeing things now". I thought we had entered the twilight zone or the bizarro world. I mean who would have guessed a dark demon lord had such fancy taste and a love for foofy pillows and stuff.

What is left of the zone area is wonderful. The artwork is stunning, the creatures interesting - and I now feel like I have somewhere prosperous to farm if I advance to 64 after sitting on 63 for how many years now ? The trainers of valorn have long forgotten Ellyanas name but this may soon change. Then again with the bloody dark fire still in the path, maybe not.

So thank you EVERYONE - players and admin. I really needed this distraction / fun and it delivered. It has really been a privilege and honor to play with you over these years. I hope in 10 more years I am still here to be rocked (and sometimes confused or cranky) by new and changing storylines, with Elly living happily amongst the many cats and Pallas in her lovely guildhall - ever excited and ready to rush off into new adventure and battles to the death with all you guys.

I kinda love you guys. x ;)
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:54 pm

I was extremely lucky considering moving about didn't get terribly difficult for Dimitri until we were directed towards our final objective. Overall I loved the event and I am very grateful for the admin in assisting with transport at that last leg.

Also, amused that Dimitri has a shared love of shirtlessness with [spoilers]. I probably spent more time laughing than typing during that entire tower and I imagined Jobe setting up 'shop' there.

Hojo Musachi wrote:It finished 6:30 am for me and the other Brits.

Thank you for admin and players for all the work done, but a special nod to those who were as daft as me and played for over 12 hours *

* I had 2 power cuts during the first hour of getting inbut in totally couting that I was there for it all

I was glad to see you back ;) I'd say I hope you got a nap, but knowing you...you probably didn't.

Live life with no regrets.

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 pm

It must've been good or I'd have taken my sick, semi grumpy self to bed ;) Especially when we kept losing power and net ourselves! I missed the last hour unfortunately but what I did experience was amazingly well done.
~ Stop throwing bread at me I am NOT a duck! ~
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow48789.html

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Cordelia has successfully completed a quest!

Postby Zeric of Admin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:41 pm

12 hours? Pff. Amateurs.

On a more serious note, I don't know of many games that ask so much of their players in terms of time investment, nor that get so much in return.

We're fortunate to have a fan base that responds to what we do with such enthusiasm, and it really makes a difference. The efforts of admin (and players) in pulling this off were downright herculean. We simply could not go through with it if it weren't for how fun it all is when we get to unleash it and experience it alongside you.

That is to say, thank you.

- Z

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Ellyana Lilli wrote:For years before that I felt like we / our characters just existed in the land of DG, not lived, but you've all made us really feel connected to our world and allowed us to help shape it ...

This, this, and a thousand times this!!!
(As for the "bloody dark fire", that is what your friendly neighbourhood enchanter is for!)
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 pm

My family now thinks I am possessed as many times as I screamed at the computer... in frustration and awe. It was a wonderful event and I am thankful for everyone involved! And I am tingling with curiosity to find out what comes next in this tale. It was wonderfully done, difficult, challenging and all around positively brilliant! Thank you Admin for all the hours you put in to bring this to fruition. And thank you to all the adventurers who added their own unique spice to the mix. It will be fun to see where this leads us now! :D
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Olivia Pratt » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:02 pm

I can't say enough about how fun this was! My jaw literally dropped when I saw the artwork. I started shouting at my family to come and see! Truly amazing. That image will forever be burned into my mind! It was frustrating at times sure, but I calmed down by reminding myself that this was a massive event and I couldn't expect immediate results. Even my time in the box was amazing! lol I kind of half expected the ending, but at the same time I didn't. Admin, you did the most amazing job ever!

When I first came to DG, I fell in love with the place, but now I love it even more! It became clear to me how wonderfully dedicated everyone is. The Admin and the players. Thank you so much everyone! This has been an awe inspiring experience and I look forward to more! Great job!
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:33 pm

All I can say is, I'm glad I could stay as long as I did and sorry about what I missed.

(I'm too worn out to say any more at the moment.)

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 am

Now that I've had a little rest I would like to add a thanks to all the players, you guys were really great and extremely patient during wait times/getting lost/ awaiting orders/ general IO confusions/ etc *coughcannonfiringcough* :D (Because hey, we're just people too ya know. ) Especially my lovely team, Telmacha, Edward, Kairiel, Dimitri-- you helped carry the flow when we had a bit of wait time, while I was sick, brain fogged, and grasping a bit for RP. You were all great amusement and I really enjoyed our scenes together. Well I enjoyed ALL the scenes all day really ;)

And that artwork. I'm in love with the new DG scenery pieces.
~ Stop throwing bread at me I am NOT a duck! ~
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow48789.html

aryana_moonsong
Experienced Adventurer

Postby aryana_moonsong » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:39 am

Now that I have had time to wrap my head around everything that went on over the 12 hour marathon that can only be classified as the most ultimate, epic, fantastic, amazing role-play of all time :D

I just want to add that I was so glad to be a part of it all. Ary made some rather...unpopular choices...without going into any spoilers *grins But I was glad to be able to have that chance with her. It was an amazing time...I am still finding myself breathless when I go back over things.
*grins roguishly* Oh I just love being a rogue...dark corners, slipping through the shadows...*gets distracted suddenly by something bright and sparkly* and...SHINIES!!! *pounces on it and looks around* My...shiny...*pets the shiny*

Lillya
Adventurer

Postby Lillya » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:24 am

Well that was some amazing rp and Lil was awake for most of it especially near the end. What a great job admin a round of applause. The art work was beautiful. I cant believe it was a whole 12 hours of rp near the end goodness I was up so late and didnt care. I got alot of eye rolls from the family and do not care one bit. I can't wait to see what transpires next how exciting!!

bibi onyx
Adventurer

Postby bibi onyx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:54 am

Uh-Mazing :D

Now for an opinion that will probably earn me some haters:

My only complaint is NOT toward admin or anyone in particular, but I just always have this feeling when massive, exciting events happen, that some of the higher levels run off to seek fortune and glory while the lower levels are stuck. (BTW, there were some higher levels that DID come back to help the lowers). Now, If this is something natural for your character, fine. But I don't necessarily think that is the case for all of the adventurers. Basically, I'm just crabbing that some of the RP was lacking because people might've wanted a special "token" or "prize" or to be "first in line", or something. But, its a free world and that is everyone's right.

Ok, now that the icky part is over, like I said, it was amazing. DG is so very special to me and the fact that everyone was willing to RP this for so long means a lot, because it really allowed people from all over the world to come and play :) Its a good thing I stayed late at work the night before so I could sneak in for so much of it the day of.

I guess we really needed the frustrating bits to realize how great the exciting and fast-moving parts were. There's really no way to thank the admin properly and if there is more to come, I might just blow up. :mrgreen: (and after this post, that might please some people.)

thank you
Thank You
THANK YOU!

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

I was on for something like 9 to 10 hours. When since college I average 2...yes a lot of frustration and standing round at times..but made it more REAL and bulled you into the event , but well out weighed by the sheer awesomeness of everything. Best large scale event ever...and the most people I have seen on in a long time..All in all it was beyond any dream I could had had.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:10 pm

bibi onyx wrote:Uh-Mazing :D

My only complaint is NOT toward admin or anyone in particular, but I just always have this feeling when massive, exciting events happen, that some of the higher levels run off to seek fortune and glory while the lower levels are stuck. (BTW, there were some higher levels that DID come back to help the lowers). Now, If this is something natural for your character, fine. But I don't necessarily think that is the case for all of the adventurers. Basically, I'm just crabbing that some of the RP was lacking because people might've wanted a special "token" or "prize" or to be "first in line", or something. But, its a free world and that is everyone's right.
!

If by fortune and glory you mean running off to find and rescue our taken which was part of our missions objective, then ...sure whatever. :)

Saving Bobo was incredibly uplifting. If it makes you feel better I saw not a single piece of said loot what so ever for my efforts and I do not care. Finding and carrying Bobo back to safety was the best reward for Elly that battle.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:26 pm

SIMPLY AWESOME

Brielle Erawind
Adventurer

Postby Brielle Erawind » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Oooh! I've just had a scathingly brilliant idea!

There could be--wait. I'll think it through (for a change!) and offer it in the suggestions thread.
:mrgreen:

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:52 pm

Ellyana Lilli wrote:

!

If by fortune and glory you mean running off to find and rescue our taken which was part of our missions objective, then ...sure whatever. :)

Saving Bobo was incredibly uplifting. If it makes you feel better I saw not a single piece of said loot what so ever for my efforts and I do not care. Finding and carrying Bobo back to safety was the best reward for Elly that battle.

Likewise for Dabria. Out of everything she saw, what got ot her was Scooter flinching when she kneeled down beside him. She is a sucker for a cute animal!
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Korunga Ed
New Adventurer

Postby Korunga Ed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Ok, now that the icky part is over, like I said, it was amazing. DG is so very special to me and the fact that everyone was willing to RP this for so long means a lot, because it really allowed people from all over the world to come and play :) Its a good thing I stayed late at work the night before so I could sneak in for so much of it the day of.

I guess we really needed the frustrating bits to realize how great the exciting and fast-moving parts were. There's really no way to thank the admin properly and if there is more to come, I might just blow up. :mrgreen: (and after this post, that might please some people.)

thank you
Thank You
THANK YOU!

+1
I MUSTACHE you a question.

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:10 am

Its taken me a few days to recover from the epic MARATHON of an end to an era in DG. I was there the WHOLE 12 hours, plus a bit. Thank you Admin for your resolve and fortitude to see the whole thing through. It was an amazing amount of content to conceptualize, coordinate, code, and then run after unleashing it into the world of Trinald. I went on sensory overload after a few hours with all the rich visuals (and am talking about the writing.) I have NEVER seen something as fantastic as a HORDE-of-demons-visual launched so effectively in a mainly text based game.

Thank you to Admin for all the work it took to pull off this incursion. Thank you to the whole DG community for your love of RP. Without you all I would never have had the pleasure of sharing a game world that has inspired me, and helped me develop a form of creativity I enjoy immensely.

It will be interesting to see what comes next. For now I'm catching up on my sleep, and Kabs is recovering from battle fatigue =D.

Cheers!
Kaballoi
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow93482.html
......................................................................................................................
Accomplished at something. Not sure what.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Wow, honestly part of me is still reeling from it all. A game made me cry, those poignant bitter-sweet tears. I woke the day after and just lay there stunned with that stupor that usually only comes after turning the last page on one of those books that has sucked you in...or when you awake from a long and realistic dream. I suppose the fact that a game could do that to me might make me want to evaluate my sanity a bit, but then it is a sweet sort of insanity so why bother?

To Admin:

Yes, yes the event was wonderful! I think I expressed that. ;) But for me this rave should start two years ago when this all began. You brought lore and myth to life. You fleshed out the world of Trinald in a way that allows me to immerse myself more completely in it. You took Balthazar from a somewhat doofy guy to a timeless spoiler who betrayed his spoilers from an ancient spoiler high above a Golden Aged spoiler beyond my wildest imagination. I love nothing more than a complex villain...I miss him now. The amount of details and time is astounding. The build up of emotions, character internal and external conflict, confusion, doubt, tests of faith, and tension was even more so.

As a side note, perhaps it was just my mind, but the city of Spoiler seemed to have a bit of steam-punk flair, which is always how I imagined/hoped the GA was like. If I'm not just nuts, thanks for that too.

To the players:

So, when outsiders ask me about DG I always explain it as writing a collective novel. But really in the back of my mind I wondered how much control we actually had on things. I was told about the scripted events of the past, and even though I would see all the ways players shaped the story and took it in different directions I sort of figured this event would be more like a play for us to watch. Nope.

You all proved to me without a shadow of a doubt that we very much do have 'free will' in this game. That we don't have to just have cookie cutter characters that plod along and witness things. That there wasn't just one right path and it is all about us figuring out which way Admin wanted us to go.

From the cannons to Melchor and the tome we all set the plan for getting into the fortress. Who knows how the end would have played out if different choices had been made? I personally am delighted in how it went down, and a special shout out to those who made that unpopular IC choice!! I was over here rooting you on the whole time. (Don't you dare tell Viv that!) Thank you to those that stayed true to their characters and made that leap. And thank you to those who also stayed true to their characters to not make that leap ;) Having diversity, ethical and moral conflict, etc. is what leads to that depth that brings on the feels. That final scene set the next chapter of our little novel in place. And we players did that. (No offense admin ;) )

Return to “Raves”