An exciting afternoon

A place to post what you like about the game.
Jobe Thaniel Steward
Adventurer

Re: An exciting afternoon

Postby Jobe Thaniel Steward » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Rather than having everyone collectively urinate upon my own personal experience of the game, it would been nice to have at least one person say "Oh really?! I'll pm you and catch you up". Thanks for the comradery guys.
There are a couple ways to avoid death, one is to be magnificent. - Ian Dury

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:03 am

Your experience is valid, as are your feelings on the matter, and I'm quite sorry you're so upset--I'd fix that if I could. However, it didn't seem like you wanted to be caught up on things- it felt more like an attack on admin and now an attack on fellow players who were just trying to diffuse a rant inside a rave. Most likely to prevent you getting in trouble for breaking the no ranting rule.

I apologize if I misinterpreted.

I would be happy to catch you up on what I know, which isn't much at all since I am not involved with the story line myself. Or to offer you some RP at least, if you've been bored and feeling left out. I've not had a good RP in ages.
~ Stop throwing bread at me I am NOT a duck! ~
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow48789.html

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Zeric of Admin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:14 am

Consider this a reminder that this forum is for raves only.

If you have complaints you can email them to us at the usual email addresses. I promise we read them, and it's a more appropriate avenue to air your concerns because it won't descend into a forum spat, and we appreciate it because it means we can spend less time posting reminders of the rules and more time doing what we can to make the game cool and fun and active.

All admin take their role seriously (Well. Sometimes I go a bit wild on Saturdays.) and we work hard to make sure that as many people are included in things like random interactions as possible. This takes many forms, some of which people may not even realise. Beyond those efforts, ultimately it comes down to timing and positioning - Being in the right place at the right time makes all the difference.

Besides those moments and on the fly RP we also organise happenings in advance and share details accordingly on these forums, and on social networks. We're committed to making sure everyone has a fair chance, and I believe that we do that. Not saying we're perfect, because there is no perfect solution... In my ideal world you'd all get a push notification to your brain telling you to log on and head to Dundee Inn when Jeffrey's chatty, but that's just not feasible (Yet. C'mon Google, figure it out!) - But I take issue with anyone claiming that admin has personal vendettas or that we deliberately exclude people. We categorically, statistically, do not.

- Z

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:47 am

You are not alone at all, Jobe. The feeling of missing things, of being left out...especially when your mind starts whirling and you think it is personal, is one of the worst feelings ever. I think all of us have been there at one time or another, except the super duper mature - of which I am not one, sadly. It is like going out to lunch with friends and they all sit around raving about the kick ass movie they all went to the night before...while you were sitting at home alone.

We really are blessed with an admin team that tries really hard to make us all happy. As the others stated, there just are not enough of them to go around.

Perhaps I am alone in this thought, and I really don't want to offend anyone or start a fight. But I have noticed 'raves' that are basically "Hey, something cool happened to me" announcements cause hard feelings. I don't want to imply that no one should rave, of course, but perhaps those doing the raving should consider the effect it might have to those who feel increasingly left out of things.
For example:

Hey, I really like this story line, the beauty of the emotes and the surprise play. OR

I think the newest twist to the Bronze story arc is sweet! You diabolical jerk you...(okay, maybe don't call admin a jerk hehe )

As opposed to

Hey, last night was the most amazing thing ever, thanks!

I understand the usefulness in letting other's know that something happened they can ask about in-game...but perhaps a log or vague non-spoiler posting under Tales of Adventures would be better.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:29 am

Cheer up, Jobe. I've been missing everything lately as well. Ask people questions; it's fun and interesting.

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:21 am

Hojo Musachi wrote:If you're ever interested what has been going on, ask around the towns and inns. Someone may know or you'll create new experiences for those involved. But there's no need to turn a rave sour

That is, in fact, the purpose of being vague when raving about something story-related. Usually, it leads to Dimitri asking if anything interesting has happened, although lately his usual source of information hasn't been very forthcoming.
Viviyana wrote:I understand the usefulness in letting other's know that something happened they can ask about in-game...but perhaps a log or vague non-spoiler posting under Tales of Adventures would be better.

I barely had enough time to post that thanks muchless write a whole post under ToA. IMO even saying what storyline it is concerning is a spoiler. So my post would be:

"Thank you Bane-Of-Sleep-Admin for providing additional information and another piece of the puzzle, I've still no idea what the puzzle is supposed to look like!"

It isn't much more helpful, honestly. So, to restate a point (that hopefully wasn't sarcasm, I'm quite tired as I'm writing this):

Topaz wrote:Ask people questions; it's fun and interesting.

My reason for raving was to draw attention to the fact that something was happening recently at night with the hope that others who were available to be awake at that hour would be and that those who weren't available to be online at that hour would ask around.

Anyone with questions as to what's happened is more than welcome to ask me OOC or find an excuse to ask Dimitri IC (he does occasionally turn into an inn zombie). I've only got a fragment of the information myself, but that's the point of asking questions of others.

Live life with no regrets.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 am

Dimitri Petrov wrote:
My reason for raving was to draw attention to the fact that something was happening recently at night with the hope that others who were available to be awake at that hour would be and that those who weren't available to be online at that hour would ask around.

Anyone with questions as to what's happened is more than welcome to ask me OOC or find an excuse to ask Dimitri IC (he does occasionally turn into an inn zombie). I've only got a fragment of the information myself, but that's the point of asking questions of others.

Which is very cool and one of the many things that makes you wonderful :wink: My concern is that, increasingly, I have seen tensions arise out of raves (not just this one). I hoped to find a way to mitigate that, maybe through wording or creating a log type ooc thing. I don't know, I don't have the answers. It has just come up on my radar often lately and thought I would put it out there.

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:29 am

Perhaps those involved in happenings should try to make more of an effort to invite others to join rp, ooc or not peoples rl feelings matter since this is a game and meant to be enjoyable. Especially if they know that someone's mood is 'feeling left out'. I think that's the best solution we can give, as players, and we should all be more conscious of involving others in everyday rp so no one feels isolated.

Yes, this upset is pretty rampant lately. It is most definitely not just Jobe.
It's not fair to blame people for expressing their excitement about some good rp session they've had, that just takes down their enjoyment, it's not their fault they happened to be at the right place at the right time or that admin did this or that-- but we can put more effort into making sure players are not bored or lonely.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:02 am

I should make it clear, I don't mean to imply people shouldn't rave, or feel joy in cool experiences. I even stated that in my original post. I am speaking specifically about raves whose purpose it is to let people know something happened. And I am not saying we shouldn't have a way to give people a heads up that something happened. I just fear that by blending the two, it risks coming off in a way that rubs salt in a sore wound.

Kane of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Kane of Admin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 am

The best we can say here is that we know, and we are working on improving frequency of activity which should hopefully improve the spread of players involved.

It has been a difficult time for many of the Admin team recently which has derailed where we had hoped to be.

Thank you to all who are bearing with us while we get the train back on the tracks again.

Some very interesting things lie in wait within the carriages.

K.

(PS: I am happy to be called a jerk - I am well aware that I have zero respect for your continued need for sleep.)
The thing about chaos, is that while it disturbs us, it too, forces our hearts to
roar in a way we secretly find magnificent. - Christopher Poindexter

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Viviyana wrote:I hoped to find a way to mitigate that, maybe through wording or creating a log type ooc thing. I don't know, I don't have the answers. It has just come up on my radar often lately and thought I would put it out there.

I don't have time to do that, so I'll just refrain from posting raves so as to not upset anyone in the future.

Except this one.

Dear Players and Admin,
If you ran an event or your actions brought about something that happened in game and I was on and in the right spot, thank you. You make the game fun and interesting with your many different time zones, your fluctuating sense of humor, and overall creativity. I miss out on a lot of things with my busy schedule and I am happy to relaxed in front of my keyboard and to play this game with you, hopefully I didn't lose too much sleep in the process (you know who you are).

If I wasn't there, I appreciate you all the same. I was off adulting: working or sleeping or some other adult-like thing instead of what I'd rather be doing. I'm sure I would have loved whatever it was that happened, I just hope when I ask about the events during my "awayness" that you've a story to share. I do love a good story. If you missed something in turn feel free to ask me, if I don't know what's going on I might have an idea of who does. Unless you're admin, then I only expect "spoilers" and for you to be well aware of everything including Dimitri's boot size.

In short: like omg I totally enjoyed/wished-I-had-been-at your party/event/contest/blowing up mortals/story, et cetera.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I hope any hard times ease up. Sending good vibes and looking forward to what 2016 brings for DG - even if I end up missing it all having to adult / deal with bull sh...life.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:20 pm

I am sorry I made you feel that way, Dimitri. That was never my intention. I was just trying to address what I see as a very concerning pattern. I never intended it to extend to all raves, just ones made for the express purpose of telling people they missed something.

I can only apologize and hope you reconsider and continue to post.

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Viviyana wrote:I should make it clear, I don't mean to imply people shouldn't rave, or feel joy in cool experiences.

Naw, I wasn't meaning to imply any one person had done so. Just in general.

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:33 am

Kane of Admin wrote:
(PS: I am happy to be called a jerk - I am well aware that I have zero respect for your continued need for sleep.)

"Well I'm off to rest"

Zanaans Dull Ancient Bronze Crystal radiates Radiance of the Gods

"You know, what's the point of sleep anyways?"
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Dimitri Petrov
Veteran

Postby Dimitri Petrov » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:45 am

Zanaan wrote:"You know, what's the point of sleep anyways?"

It's not like you work a double the next day or anything *snort*

But seriously...what is this 'sleep' you speak of?

Sorynn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Sorynn » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:23 am

Alright. After sitting on this for three days now, I have decided to post something. I would appreciate no negativity in return as it is not my intention to be divisive, but to unite. And forgive me if this is addled or hard to follow...

People have the right to be happy about things that happen to their character in game regarding really invigorating RP, contact from a "god," getting a cool, unusual item...all of that. It is exciting! It adds to the feeling that we the players are not just static, uninteresting characters on a screen or that we do not matter. I am fairly certain, since Miranda has taken over, one thing she has tried to reiterate to all of us is that we do matter. Things that lend themselves to such amazing character experiences being able to occur are; frequency of time in game (sad but true--you have to "be" there for things to happen for and to your character), interest in what is developing in game with characters, storylines, folklore, history. And being involved, even aside from phat l00t, should be its own reward. But we are human and we do have feelings and some of those lead to resentment and envy. When that happens, we need to be gentle and kind with one another, not accusatory or flippant, in my opinion.

And because people have the right to feel happy about things that go on that we like or think are cool, the people who do not have those experiences do also, indeed, have the right to feel sad, left out or unseen. To imply they are wrong for feeling that way or chastise them for voicing it (even though, yes, this forum is not the best place to do it) is just not kind. I think it is wrong to make someone feel that they are not validated. You do not have to agree with someone but at least give them the right to feel how they feel. I think what Jobe was saying was not "Oh woe is me! I am left out! Fix this now!" He was saying, "Do I matter? Do you hear me?" And many of you were quick to give remedies to those feelings via RP, asking questions, anything to get the player feeling more involved. And that made me smile; the kindness. Because we are a small community and as all have noticed, bad feeling sour and stain all of us in a very short amount of time. I bet positive ones could spread even more quickly, don't you?

In my own experience, I have been an active player from December of 2006 and until February of 2014, not once was I given a special item, acknowledged by a "god" (unless it was a warning from Ben--that happened twice I think) or singled out for anything awesome. And. It. Felt. Awful. Period. I have no other way to describe it. So much so that when it did happen, I felt like a starved, crazed woman who gobbled it up without realizing how totally amazing it felt to finally be seen as vital after 7 plus years. Looking back now, a couple years later, I am thankful and grateful but it doesn't need to happen weekly or even monthly for me to maintain the wonder of the initial awe. DG has always inspired awe in me, in many forms and I cannot fathom that will ever change.

And back then, there was no chance to be involved in a storyline, simply BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ONE. Of course, we had mini-events or little scenes that we were allowed to be involved in but the script was set and we were more extras as opposed to active participants. It felt the roles had already been chosen and any others were just scenery or allowed to "witness" whatever great thing it was that was happening on screen. And I think that is because to put an entire storyline and its importance/growth into the hands of the players is a risk Ben was not willing to take then. But Miranda is. Let's not make her sorry she did.

Thorne
Veteran

Postby Thorne » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 pm

That was very eloquently spoken, Sorynn, as well as thoughtful and sensitive. Thank you for opening up honestly and sharing your experiences. I can say that at least for me, that echoes almost exactly my own paradigm of play in DG over the years. I'm grateful for the change in play style and grateful that there have always been good players to make even the leanest times worthwhile.

"I should have been a pair of ragged claws; Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." - Eliot

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Thorne wrote:That was very eloquently spoken, Sorynn, as well as thoughtful and sensitive. Thank you for opening up honestly and sharing your experiences. I can say that at least for me, that echoes almost exactly my own paradigm of play in DG over the years. I'm grateful for the change in play style and grateful that there have always been good players to make even the leanest times worthwhile.

I can't say it any better than what Thorne did, so I shall just say that I echo his remark, completely! :)
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Zarock
Veteran

Postby Zarock » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm still waiting for that singled out event/story arc envolvment or unique personal item :D but i don't let that affect my envolment in/out of game or happiness or desire to keep playing...if it happens it happens then cool, and if not :D I don't know what I'm missing anyway.

You either have to earn it or be in the right place at the right time. Only way to do either is be active in game and participate

Correction I have had little unique things mostly NPC interactions .
I would rather try and look a fool, than not try for fear of looking a fool.
Zarock12804

Return to “Raves”