Inventory Messages

A place to post what you like about the game.
Strev Jonlee
Adventurer

Inventory Messages

Postby Strev Jonlee » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:32 am

I know this is a very small change but it has always been something that has bothered me. I'll rest easier knowing how many messages I have from my inventory screen. :D Thank you Admin team
Strev Jonlee 185839

Nih Betodaru
Veteran

Re: Inventory Messages

Postby Nih Betodaru » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 am

When a character is in an area too dark to see, the messages link disappears from the movement screen. If you wanted to see messages, you could go to inventory and click view. Now, I know from Inventory screen if there is a new pm. I love it!

Prompting Character Development since 2013. :wink:

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Zeric of Admin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:22 am

Nih Betodaru wrote:When a character is in an area too dark to see, the messages link disappears from the movement screen. If you wanted to see messages, you could go to inventory and click view. Now, I know from Inventory screen if there is a new pm. I love it!

You're not supposed to be able to check messages in an dark area which is too dark for you to see anything - It's a long standing bug.

I actually believe the inventory count number was deliberately broken, as a temporary measure waaaaay back in the day to try and make messaging in the dark a bit harder because making the link vanish from your inventory when in a dark place only was difficult to accomplish, or something like that.

So, don't be surprised if we stop you doing that at some point.

- Z

Nih Betodaru
Veteran

Postby Nih Betodaru » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:24 pm

No problem! Rarely in the dark these days, well dark that makes it impossible to see.

It does make sense for it to be the way you stated; however what of places that are -10 light and someone has personal blessings of light or an item for light, should that not be enough to read a message?

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:16 pm

I actually remember when this happened

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5184

and for reference it used to work back when:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4805

That being said I wouldn't mind just seeing that entire line disappear from the profile screen, as I'm not sure it serves any greater purpose anymore.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Zeric of Admin » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Well, it's not set in stone, because it's never worked. One way or another, your light level will factor in to whether we consider you 'in darkness' or not.

Currently, if you're 'in darkness' as far as the game is concerned you are unable to see anything. Sometimes you may encounter a creeping, pervading darkness which is too thick for light to penetrate, so despite having light on you, you still can't see anything - This defies logic of light/darkness a bit, but hey, you're playing a fantasy game.

Whether we'd change that for messaging remains to be seen.

- Z

Nih Betodaru
Veteran

Postby Nih Betodaru » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Zeric of Admin wrote:but hey, you're playing a fantasy game.

- Z

Yes, indeed. Magic needs not hold to logic and understanding. It is because it is.

Thanks for the insight, Zeric, I appreciate it.

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Zeric of Admin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:24 pm

This has now been tweaked to be more in line with the original vision for the game, which is that darkness should prevent you from being able to read messages.

Let us know if there's any issues.

- Z

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Had to test this. And laughed when I saw the message that says "It is too dark to read.".... Nice! :lol:
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Return to “Raves”