Invent a Drink Contest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
emmy
New Adventurer

Re: Invent a Drink Contest

Postby emmy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 pm

Emmy's Vials

If anyone has visited our tavern, they know I make these vials, and normally I don't do this, but seein how everyone has asked me what they were made of, I'll tell ya just one of em, it's the blue one *smirks, pulling out a piece of parchment with the ingredients and how it's made, nails it up to the wall* Don't say I didn't warn ya on this one.

Ingredients: (now this all depends on how much ya willin to make, seein how I have to keep it in stock all the time, this will make a rather large batch)

2-gooey zombie heads, various places, but I like to use the ones from the desert, somethin about the heat.
6-pirate's ale, if you don't want to use the ferry to get to Kilican, then try the RoK guild hall at the Swashbucklers
2-(chanters and clerics won't like this) Blue crystals, from Blue Crystal Guardians
enough lemons from Wil to make 4 mugs of lemon juice
a sprinkle of enchanters' dust, unless ya can still it from an enchanter without them noticin, I advice the Oasis in the desert.

Items needed to make:

1-assassin's dagger (with just a tad of the poison left in it), I find that Gunwalls has the best, or if you are able to get your hands on a Duberry's with only enough poison in it, that's great.
2-clean bucket, the fountain spring I've found is the best place
1-axe, large heavy rock, or somethin to smash the crystals with, the rock I got while wanderin around on the mountains
1-clean simple cloth, usually Heralda in Dundee has a good supply, or any cloth that is nice and clean
a large amount of empty jars with lids to put the mixture in, these you can get from Weslau

Process:

With the assassin's dagger, cut the zombie heads into tiny, tiney, itty, bitty pieces, add these to the bucket, goo and all. Then smash the crystals into slithers, don't have to be a fine dust, but not gigantic either. I've found about 12 smashes with a heavy rock does the trick. Add this dust to the zombie mush in the bucket, mix it up with the dagger real good. Next take the lemon's and still with the dagger, cut them in half, squeezing all the juice out to make 2 mugs of lemon juice, add to bucket, after which, you add the pirate's ales, stir good. With the simple cloth tied over the opening of the other clean bucket, ever so slowly pour the mixture over, this will drain away all the unwanted pieces, make sure to clean the cloth off periodically or the liquid will not flow through. Add the mixture to the jars, filling a little over a quarter full, add a tiny pinch of enchanters' dust, add the lid and shake vigorously. When you take the lid off it will be all nice and sparkly and fizzy. Be sure after uncapping to shoot it back and drink, and wait for the party to begin or better yet, let the party go on without ya

Emmy Eralass, Character Number 121779
"Live for nothing, or Die for something!!" ~ John Rambo

Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Alfin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:09 am

Verthedge Blue Ale

An old family concoction of my father's.
When it came time to brew the ale, he would take a trip to the crags just south of the forest.
He would come back with the most vibrant blue berries.
Then he would malt the famous Fartown corn, with the berries.
As with any other ale he'd barrel it for special occasions when the whole family would cut loose and go crazy.
It really makes for a madhouse.
Some folks in Fartown may still have the recipe for it. They called it the Mad Bos though.

Alfin
--- There is only one truth, but many views of it.

Bebhinn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bebhinn » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 pm

Wow ...so many entries. Thank you all so much for your time and effort. I'm sure glad I'm not judging this one :D

Just so you all know there's a small edit to the prizes ... I'm removing the treasure box and replacing it with an Amulet of the Order. I've been lucky enough to find a couple in the last couple of days so thought it would be nice to pass one on.

Hope nobody minds... if you do just pm me.

Bebhinn
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Broadskull Blossomwine (1)

Fill an empty jar (2) with clean and freshly gathered red and white rose petals (3) and red and yellow flowers (4). Pour a carafe of good wine (5) and several glasses of sweet nectar (6) over the flowers and stir in some finely ground candyballs (7). Allow this to sit in a cool, dark place for several weeks, stirring occasionally, then strain out the blossoms. When opened or served, it will have the fragrance of roses, whether cooled by mountain ice (8) or mulled during the cool nights of Fall Festival.

Notes

1. Named for Wyf Broadskull, who enjoys the taste and smell of flowers.

2. Empty jars can be purchased from Weslau the Travelling Merchant, at the end of the road through the southern plains.

3. Rose bushes with red and white roses grow at the top of a grassy hill at the southeastern edge of the southern plains.

4. Red and white flowers grow abundantly on the western prairie not far from Dundee.

5. Carafes of wine can be purchased at "A Taste of Ethucan," an Ethucan-themed restaurant on Kilican Island, or acquired from a cleric with the proper spell.

6. Sweet nectar originally comes from Ethucan, but is now also available at "A Taste of Ethucan" on Kilican Island.

7. Candyballs, seasonal treats provided by the gods, can be found for sale in most if not all of Valorn's merchants during Fall Festival. At other times they are available only in the bazaars for inflated prices.

8. The eastern mountains and especially the caves are a common source of ice the entire year round.

Topaz

Erin Rebel (Warrior)
New Adventurer

Postby Erin Rebel (Warrior) » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Although not actually my invention I have tweaked at the ingredients here and there to produce a drink slightly different from the original recipe.
I have decided to call it :-

Rosehip Tang

Some time ago, during a fight with an Ogress Matriarch in the temple of the Trodden Village, a scrap of parchment became dislodged from between the large table and the kitchen wall. Being unable to read it I recalled that the hermit, Melchor, had previously translated a document for me and took this scrap of parchment to him. He laughed as he told me it was a recipe for a thirst quenching drink and although much of the script had been spoiled by condensation, he managed to extract enough to recognise the basics of the recipe. At this stage I put the recipe away for posterity never thinking I would need it again, but with the announcement of this competition I have revisited it . Obviously this recipe was based on slaking the thirst of many ogres, but, after much trial and error, I was able to scale down the requirements to produce enough to fill an average sized jug, or carafe. Although not part of the original recipe I have added honey to sweeten, as required, I doubt ogres would have need of sweeteners.

Ingredients:
approximately 30-40 rose hips ... harvested during Fall Festival from rose bushes on the Grassy Hills, South Plains and other places.
peel of 3 large apples ... assumption of apples available at Fall Festival as warm cider has been available from Wil the Grillkeeper and innkeepers Jeffrey, Roland and Venteli
2-3 mugs of water
a small pot of honey
grated lemon zest ... the use of clean mail armor is recommended for grating.

Method:
Peel apples.
Coarsely chop the rose hips and add to a pan with the apple peel then cover with the water.
Bring slowly to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 3 marcs.
Strain, sprinkle a pinch of lemon zest across the surface.
Allow to cool, and chill with ice crystals if necessary.
Decorate with a slice of lemon.
Serve with a side dish of honey to taste.

Erin Rebel 116561

Rhia Lonespear
New Adventurer

Postby Rhia Lonespear » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Berry Cordial

This is a very simple recipe passed down the generations and can either be served cold or hot depending on the time of year. For Fall Festival we’ll be serving it warm.

Ingredients.

Bucket of mixed Berries (the bucket can be found in Dundee and the berries can be picked either in the Crags or bought from Ethucan where they sell mixed berries and nuts. If you do decided to go picking in the Crags be careful of the blue ones as they’re harmful)

½ a bucket of Sugar (as we have sweetrolls I’m assuming we have sugar of some form)

1 bucket of water (again from Dundee)

1 lemon (again an assumption as there’s lemonade there must be lemons)

Recipe
First light a good sized fire and gather together your ingredients, Mash the berries in the bucket using anything you can get your hands on … I’ve been told a pirates hammer works well but be careful not to break the bucket.

Once you’ve done this add the berry mix to a large pan that you’ve either borrowed or appropriated (if you know a good rogue) from Cerbies or any other kitchen. Take the lemon and cut it in half and squeeze out the juice. Don’t throw the peel away though. Cover the mashed berries with the sugar, the juice of the lemon and a cup full of water. Place the lid of the pan on tightly.

Now place the pan on the fire and let it simmer away for about 2 marcs until the sugar has dissolved and the berries have become more liquefied.

WARNING : The berries mixture is very hot.

Take the now empty bucket and loosely cover the top with some material … I suggest some silk as the material is nice and fine. This can be found at any good trader in Valorn. Don’t use bunnyfuzz as you’ll be picking bits of fuzz out your cordial for weeks. Gently pour the mixture onto the material and let it gradually strain through.

Now add the "bit and pip free" berry juice to the bucket of water. Clean your pan and add the water and berry mix to it. Place it on the fire and let it heat gently. Serve in a warmed mug with a slither of lemon peel as garnish.

Rhiannon Lonespear (135629)

Haul Amarante
New Adventurer

Postby Haul Amarante » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:18 am

Moonlight Madness or Hair of the Dung-Beetle (you decide)

Ingredients include:
an empty jar (sometimes found with merchants but Weslau always them)
spider silk (found with merchants or if you want to gather it yourself it can be found in the mill)
two poison fangs (merchants but also the swamp vipers if you want to catch and skin your own)
enough Borsky's Brew to fill the jar (Wil the barkeep in Dundee sells it, other ale will do but will not taste rightly of ale at the end)
two health potions (bought at any of the potion vendors, i got mine upstairs in the Dundee Inn from Tracey)
a single scarab beetle from the desert tomb (From the tunnel descriptions, scarabs were plentiful. I'm assuming that they are still. If a beetle can't be found, a locust from the horde can be substituted.)

How to make it:
First take the jar and place the two poison fangs and the scarab beetle in it. Then fill the jar to the brim with Borsky's Brew. Cap it and tie the jar with the spider silk. Take the jar out into the desert and bury it. I suggest burying it someplace that you can find again, near a life monument for example. Bury it completely in the hot sand for at least a fortnight. The heat and the poison from the fangs will increase the alcohol content of the brew enough to actually pickle the beetle outright. Upon uncapping it, the brew should have a thick layer to it that you stir down. Add a health potion for each fang you used. Pour and serve! The one "lucky" enough to catch the beetle gets the honor of eating it, if he/she is mad enough. (Watch out for their hairy little arms!)

It's believed that the scarab beetle has dark properties, hence the name Moonlight Madness. You will have to decide for yourself, magic or a conspiracy of brewers! Either way it's not a drink for the feint of heart or stomach!

Haul Amarante
(character number 167956)
Last edited by Haul Amarante on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Where the light is crooked, the shadow is crooked.

ansalan
Experienced Adventurer

Postby ansalan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 am

Sweet Tea

Ice Cubes, Tree Moss Tea, Honey, and Fruit juice.

In a mug ,combine the tree moss tea with a splash of fruit juice and sweeten with honey, then crush ice cubes and add to the mixture. A simple beverage to help refresh tired adventurers after a long day of hacking up demons.

Ansalan - 46242

Jaidyn022
New Adventurer

Postby Jaidyn022 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Thistle Milk Tea

As with most things, tea comes in a variety of forms and is flavored according to an individual's palate. The following is a recipe for a tea drink that can be served either hot or cold.

Ingredients
Thistles (acquired from Thistle Beast in Verthedge Forest)
Hardened dead jelly shavings (acquired from the Acid Jellies in the Dundee Sewers, training center, and within the dark passages beneath the Mayor's office in Dundee)
Bromidic Bos Milk (acquired from the female, free-range Bos found in the Bromidic Hills. Distract the wary Bos with buckets of lemonade before attempting to acquire milk. The sugar coma from the lemonade should hopefully prevent the female Bos from hurting you for pilfering her milk.)
Water from the buckets acquired from the fountain spring south of Dundee

Optional sweetners
Sweet nectar from Port Perfadis on Kilican Isle
Sunrifter-dried fruit from the fruit and nut bowl also found in Port Perfadis
Fall Festival Candyball shavings acquired from the trade market

Preparation
Use enough lava rocks acquired from the fire spirits beneath the Magma Fissure to heat a bucket of water. Wrap the thistles in a Bromidic Bos leather mesh to allow the flavor of the thistles to infuse into the liquid and allow for easy removal of the thistles themselves. Toss in a generous handful of hardened dead jelly shavings with the Bromidic Bos milk and allow the mixture to brew until hardened dead jelly shavings are softened. The jelly shavings provide a unique chewy texture to the milk tea. Remove the Bos leather mesh and serve hot as is, sweeten according to your liking with the above optional sweetners, or serve cold with ice crystal chips acquired from the Snow elementals or Glacial Gnomes in the western mountains. Sipping the Thistle Milk Tea through a hollowed Landray spine found on the Eastern beaches of Kilican Isle allows an extended enjoyment of the drink.

Jaidyn

Andusala
New Adventurer

Postby Andusala » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:36 pm

VOLCANIC ROSE THISTLE ICED TEA

Ingredients.....
5 Smoking Embers...Found-Volcano Maze
36 Ice Crystals...Found-Ice Caverns
1 Handful Rose Petals...Found-Southern Plains
5 Thistles...Found-Verthedge Forest

While journeying through the lands I found a most unique drink.I had an assortment of items picked up during many battles across Valorn.While resting I realized I had little to drink or eat.Trying many combinations of treasures I found a most pleasant result.

Take 5 Embers place them in a large Jar add several dozen Ice Crystals.As this mixture boils slowly add your thistles and rose petal combination...Let boil several minutes.Take a clean cloth and strain mixture over a Large Mug.Add more Ice crystals and you have VOLCANIC ROSE THISTLE ICED TEA....

A refreshing light beverage suitable for all ages...A bit hard to gather ingredients but that is the hazard of Valorn..

I wish everyone luck and hope to see many enjoying my concoction...
Andusala #143389

Luna Ambrose
New Adventurer

Postby Luna Ambrose » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:24 pm

The Sparkler!

What you'll need:
1 large carafe of wine
1 Glass Barbarian ale
1 glass lemonade
1 fruit and nut bowl
1 glowing gold crystal crushed and flaked.

How to make it:
Separate the fruit from the nuts and place the nuts aside.
Mix the lemonade Barbarian Ale and wine together in the bowl.
Slowly stir in the gold crystal flakes until it dissolves in the mix and the mix begins to glow and fizz.
place your pieces of fruit in the alcohol mix in the bowl.
Let sit there several hours so that the fruit soaks up some of the alcohol.
Snack on the nuts while you wait.
Chill and serve.

Description: A glowing drink that sparkles and fizzes. tasty and sweet.
All that glitters may not be gold, but at least it SPARKLES!!

Tristan
New Adventurer

Postby Tristan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Name of Drink: Zombie Attack

Ingredients:
6 intact zombie heads (I prefer the ones from inside the wall, they are not all gritty)
half a bushel of thistles (From thistle beast)
1 bucket of water
1 bag of powder (I happen to have my own)
some mint (from the garden of Caer Laleldan)
12 oranges from a fruit and nut plates saving other fruits for garnish
1 bucket of ice
1 empty jar
1 very helpful enchanter (Luna Ambrose is a great helper)
1 talented rogue (Emmy Eralass is an excellent choice)

Direction:
1. Find talented rogue to steal Azures small distilling apparatus (my plan) or craft your own.
2. Put thistles, mint, and water into still and leave until distilled. 1 week is usually enough.
3. Strain thistles and mint from the alcohol.
4.Collect six zombie heads from the wall.
5. Get helper to clean out Zombie heads. Make sure the eyes stay in so your drink does not spill and the bartender knows when you need a refill!
6. Once helper cleans out zombie heads sprinkle powder on the inside of them to make water tight
7. Squeeze oranges into jar making sure that seeds are separated
8. pour alcohol into jar of orange juice and mix well
9. Fill each treated and cleaned zombie head with ice
10. Divide the alcohol and juice mixture into the six heads and garnish with left over fruit

Bebhinn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bebhinn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 am

The contest is now closed. Thank you to everyone whose taken the time to enter the contest ...I'm just very glad I'm not judging it.

The Judge will post her results as soon as she's decided whose the winner :D

Thanks again to everyone. Have a very happy Fall Festival.

Bebhinn
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:41 am

This was so hard to decide upon, but eventually I looked for the ease of gathering ingrdients, the concotions that would not require a Cleric on stand by everytime a beverage was consumed and what I personally felt would hit the spot as a refreshment!

So:
The overall winner and the one I would like to see avaialble IG should Miranda be willing is Azure's.
The ingredients can be simply found with ease by adventurers whatever their skill and will satisfy both hardened ale drinkers and lemonade fans alike. Who knows, maybe Azy herself may even give it a go. ;)

In second place was Rhiannon. I personally loved the idea of a cordial, however as Sweetrolls are not so easily available in Valorn as they are in Trinald and no alternative as a sweetner was offered, I felt in practise, this would be hard to brew if these were not available this side of the doorway.

Finally, and it was so hard just picking one as I had two I wrestled with for third place, but I decided on Narian's. Simple, effective and just right for keeping the chills at bay after a long day's hunt.

Well done to all who entered, it was fun seeing what evolved and how creative people could get with what was available.

If those who have won could contact Bebhin IG and let her know what prize you would like, I am sure that would be fine. Obviously, Azure gets first pickings, then Rhiannon, then Narian will get whatever's left.

Thank you on behalf of Bebhin and myself to all who entered. I have been reading this thread with interest as it evolved and seriously, you have no idea how hard this was for me!!
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

"Or you children of today, are children of the grave"
Will never be tamed

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:38 pm

What a fun contest. I thoroughly enjoyed the contest and would like to thank you for it.

I am not much in making drinks but it was fun to give it a try and see all the entries. I could almost taste some.
I would be remiss if I didn't congratulate those who have won so my congratulations.

I not be envying you in your decision making. All of the entries be well done... It was great to enter.
Congratulations be to Az and Rhainnon. I look forward to be trying your beverage this fest Az.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:00 pm

My whole hearted congrats to everyone - most especially our winners! I can not wait to taste Night Smoke. =)

This was a very fun contest and I enjoyed reading all of the entries. Shirila you did a wonderful job with the judging and I know that it was a tough job! Thank you for the contest, and to everyone for all the creative entries.

Happy Fall Festival!
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Haul Amarante
New Adventurer

Postby Haul Amarante » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:06 pm

It was a blast reading all the entries, enjoyed participating too. Congratulations to the winners, well deserved! Gotta admit I was looking forward to getting my wonderful sponsor to having a drink of the dung beetle with me, but there's a time and place for all things... :D
Where the light is crooked, the shadow is crooked.

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:10 pm

I really enjoyed reading everyone's entries, what an interesting bar we keep in Valorn! Each entry was great fun.

And Tristan, I'll be happy to lend you the distilling device...once I can find it again. It seems to have recently vanished. :wink:

Thank you for a fun, creative contest.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Bebhinn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bebhinn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:05 pm

A big well done to Azure, Rhiannon and Narian *claps happily*

*clears her throat* I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone for embrassing this contest. I'm always worried how people will view my ideas but as always you guys have been just awesome.

And lastly a special thank you to Shirila for being so gracious and agreeing to judge this very difficult contest for me. Thank you :D

Bebhinn

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 pm

Gracious my ______. You just wanted someone to suffer with you! :P

(Was my pleasure)
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

"Or you children of today, are children of the grave"
Will never be tamed

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”