-! Valornian Guild Challenge !- A RoK birthday initiative

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
purazon
Social Leech

-! Valornian Guild Challenge !- A RoK birthday initiative

Postby purazon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:22 pm

'Valornian Guild Challenge'

The Remnants of Kimald would like to invite all the other guilds in Valorn to enter a tournament challenge quiz about all aspects of life in Valorn and Valornian history to help them celebrate their 5th Anniversary!

Each contest will consist of a competition between two guilds; the winner of which will go through to the next round.

Each contest will be hosted at the Dundee theatre - refreshments will be provided.

The final winning guild will be crowned Guild Quiz Champions and receive a prize of 10000 platinum. The runners-up will receive hearty congratulations and a prize of 5000 platinum.

It’s a competition so regrettably that means rules!

VALORNIAN GUILD CHALLENGE RULES!

1. Only guilded Valorians may participate in the quiz although all can, of course, be in the audience for any of the rounds.
2. No member of the Remnants of Kimald may enter the contest.
3. Each team must be made up from members of the same guild. Teams can be a minimum of two, but a maximum of four contestants. It is not necessary for teams to contain the same contestants for every level in the competition, though the team starting a round must finish it.
5. Each contest will consist of 5 rounds of 3 questions. Each question is worth 5 points. Each round will have a starter question open to both teams. The team answering this question first correctly will then be asked two further exclusive questions offering the chance to win bonus points. Thus each round of questions in a competition is worth a maximum of 15 points. If neither team answers the 'starter' question correctly, then the bonus questions of that round will be asked to both teams.
6. The guilds of Valorn are built on honor and so we trust the following will be abided by: Teams may confer among themselves via private messages or guild chat. There must be NO conferring with members of your own guild outside of your team members, nor with any other adventurer. It is not permitted to search the forums or archives of your or any other Guild, or DG Players, or Dark Grimoire, or any other source of information once each round is under way. Of course you can research and ‘swot up’ beforehand. This is a competition for fun - do not spoil it by cheating.
7. Audience members may not give clues or shout out answers. Anyone doing so will be asked to leave and that round of questions will be decreed null and void.
8. There shall be no half points awarded - it will be the correct answer or no answer at all.
9. The question master shall enforce the amount of time given to answer each question. A maximum time of 120 seconds will be given for teams to answer.
10. The exact time and date of each competition will be as flexible as possible, within reason, to allow as many people from as many time-zones as possible to enter.
11. The total Prize Fund of 15,000 platinum will be divided as follows:
a. Overall winning team - prize fund of 10000 platinum. This will be given as 2000 to each player (maximum possible 8000) and the additional 2000 to the leader of the winning guild to distribute amongst their guild as he or she sees fit. If there are fewer than four players they shall still be awarded 2000 each and the balance, whatever that may be, will go to the guild leader.
b. Runner-Up team - prize fund of 5000 platinum. This will be given as 1000 to each player (maximum possible 4000) and the additional 1000 to the leader of the runner-up guild. If there are fewer than four players they shall still be awarded 1000 each and the balance, whatever that may be, will go to the guild leader.
12. The decision of the RoK guild member appointed as adjudicator for each stage of the competition shall be FINAL concerning the answers to questions.

Once we have received what we believe to be the final number of guilds entering, a launch party will be held at the Swashbuckler where we will draw the teams to compete against each other in the first round!

We hope as many of you as possible will want to participate - it should be fun - and we look forward to as many of our friends as possible helping us to celebrate this momentous milestone!

Please register your interest
by contacting Iron Knight Purazon http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow12387
OR by contacting Vardian http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow14458
OR by posting below.

Last edited by purazon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

purazon
Social Leech

Re: -! Valornian Guild Challenge !- A RoK birthday initiative

Postby purazon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:48 am

List of participating guilds

1. The Order of The Silver Wolf. (contact http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow76592.html )
2. The Alliance of Valornian Explorers (contact http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow5739.html )
3. Serendipitous Resurrection (contact http://www.darkgrimoire.com/showchar.php?char=156085 )
4. New Era
5. Brotherhood of Honor (contact http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow137340.html)
6. Kindred Spirits (http://www.darkgrimoire.com/showchar.php?char=97725)
7. Twenty Two (http://www.darkgrimoire.com/showchar.php?char=57568)
8.Company of Aurulen Dawn (http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow23924.html)

To give people an idea of timings. The first 'rounds' should planned for next week.

Timing of each 'duel' between guilds will be as FLEXIBLE as possible. We will see that we find a timing that is suitable for both guilds, and then make sure there can be a RoKer present. So, at the moment, you don't have to worry about a specific date. All that we need to know at the moment is wich guilds are interested to participate. The actual timings of your duels will be arranged as convenient as possible for both parties. (besides... I believe most guilds have at least 2 members online most of the time). This also implies that you are allowed to pick different teams for the different rounds.

EDIT: To make things clear: The dates are to be determined by the participating guilds. At the moment no actual times are given. If a guild is interested, it will be added to the list above. Next week (on the 24th or the 25th) the guilds will be drafted against each others.... then an actual date will be agreed for opposing guilds to meet in mortal combat... err... trivia, ... I meant trivia....
Last edited by purazon on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:41 am, edited 12 times in total.
Purazon 12387

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks to Purazon for keeping the above post updated!
Last edited by vardian on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your bullets cannot harm me - my wings are like a shield of steel!

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:54 pm

I am still getting questions regarding timings. So I'll try to explain more clearly.

First we want to know wich guilds are interested to participate in the in the event.
Then guilds will be drafted against each other on the 25th of June, so as a guild, you have to register your interest before that date.

Once you know who your opponent is in the first round, the two opposing guilds can agree on a time. It is certainly not the case that all of the participating guilds need to be present at the same time.
Whatever time is chosen by the opposing guilds, we will try to make sure there's a RoKer present to ask the questions.

Now, there's a lot of questions... Some really easy, some really really difficult. Some about the present, some about the past. Some about people, some about the land. But the first question is: "Does your guild accept the challenge?"
Purazon 12387

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:30 am

For those guilds still deciding:

The first 2 guilds reporting their participation to me are still guaranteed of a spot. However, the 9th 10th and 11th guild will not be able to participate if there is no 12th guild. (it would be wonderful if we get to 12, though we aren't counting on it).

9 or 10 or 11 guilds are not possible in a tournament system, so the best chance to participate will be for the quick deciders.
In the case of 12 guilds participating, the final will be held between 3 guilds.
Purazon 12387

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 am

As of now, ... 1 free spot left.... First come, first served...

Edit: Now that 1 spot is left. I've seeded the entries (quite exciting, ... pulling papers out of a hat....). The result is in the Tournament tree, wich has now been added to the first post in this thread. This tree will keep people up to date with the results of the competition.

So, now that you know your opponents, you can contact them to work out a suitable time that fits you both. Then let me know what that time is and we'll make sure a RoKer is available to ask the necessary questions.

To summarize briefly: Each time you meet an opponent there will be 5 themed rounds consisting of 3 questions (each 5 points). The team that answers the 'opening question' first (and correctly) will have the right to answer the other 2 questions and grab the bonus points. The first answer of your team will stand as your DEFINITIVE answer. If no team answers the first question, both teams will be allowed to answer the bonus questions.

Good luck!
Purazon 12387

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 am

And the Company of Aurulent Dawn is our last participating guild! (contest tree updated above)

Registration for participation closed as of this moment.
Purazon 12387

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 pm

The first challenge has been fought, and the AVE are the first to reach the semi-finals.
The contest tree above has been updated.
Purazon 12387

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:40 am

Thank you Valina and Zandor - the next contest will be between Brotherhood of Honor and Order of Silver Wolves at 6pm EST this coming Friday 11th July.

Do not forget to support your guildmates, or to come and watch the fun!

If any of the other participating guilds have managed to find a mutually suitable time please let us know - that prize purse is jingling!

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:49 pm

The Brotherhood of Honor won from the Order of Silver Wolves in a very very close competition. The difference was 1 question. I want to thank both guilds for their participation.

The contest tree has been updated. AVE and BOH will face each other in the semi-finals
Purazon 12387

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:50 pm

It was a fun, learning experience. Also quite enjoyable wouldn't mind doing it again some time. And my congratulations to BOH.

Durnhem, Wolf in Clerical Robes

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:40 am

Greetings to all!

Just to let you know that between 5.30pm and midnight (possibly a little later) GMT I will be available to quiz master competition rounds. I have pm'd the contacts we have for each guild - if you are in any of the guilds yet to complete their first round competition can you please liaise with each other and get back to me or Purazon so that we can get this moving!

Iron Knight Purazon http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow12387
Vardian http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow14458

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm

I have now been contacted by two of the guilds concerned. They will speak to each other during this week if nothing more is posted here to arrange contests.

It will be with great regret, but is becoming unavoidable, that if we have not at least heard from all the remaining guilds to participate by Sunday, we will have to consider a forfeit situation.

I really do hope we can manage to not have to, but it is not really fair on all those eagerly waiting to get into their semi-final contests!

Please, PLEASE, can either the listed contacts or any of their guildmates get in touch with available times for next Monday through Thursday, 5.30pm to midnight GMT.

Many thanks!

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, with thanks, I have been contacted by all the guilds concerned, though for two it looks as though it is only to say it looks unlikely they will be able to arrange anything. I shall contact the other 2 guilds - if they can arrange an alternative time, preferably this week, then we will allow this match to take place instead of the hoped for schedule. The remaining two will then have one week to arrange a competition time - sadly if either of these cannot be achieved, it will sadly mean we must lose by default two teams. :(

All of us would rather that did not have to happen, but there it is....

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:59 pm

Huzzah!

It looks very hopeful that three hours from the time of this post (so midnight GMT) a round of the VGC will be held and against the teams planned!

Company of Aurulen Dawn will face Serendipitous Resurrection at the Dundee Theatre with Lunitari http://www.darkgrimoire.com/showchar.php?char=161586 as question master ably assisted by Synvasti (she hopes!).

If Lennie and Marron can liaise with Lunitari to ensure all goes ahead I would be very grateful!

So good luck, and gods willing, another round will be over.

On a less happy note, Kindred Spirits will, with great regret, forfeit their place int he challenge if I do not hear that they have arranged a match with 22 this time on Monday and an alternative opponent will be sought for 22 who are very keen!

EDIT!!!! EDIT!!!! EDIT!!!!

These plans were made as is was thought one of CAD would not make a pre arranged meet to get things moving - but they have managed and as 22 members made a superhuman effort to get to the pre -arranged time, they must have first say!

Therefore - it is up to SR and KS to arrange something.

*has a headache*

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm

With regret, we decline. After trying for weeks to arrange our round with our scheduled competitors, some of our team rescheduled plans to make the agreed time of 9pm BST (31st July) against CAD. We then discover, after making extreme (and expensive... heh) efforts to avoid traffic accident enough to get here, our place has been given to another random and non-scheduled team, and then (when we have lost two of our 4 team members) told to just come after all. I think it's time we forfeit :)

Good luck with the rest of the contest, to all competitors and to the organisers (and happy birthday RoK.)

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 pm

Well. What can I say except to add public to private apologies - all events conspired against us.

It seems that one of the CAD competitors cannot stay for later either..... so sorry to SR

So 22 have withdrawn (and who could blame them) - which leaves KS (who no-one has heard from in an age), CAD and SR.

If CAD and SR can re-arrange between themselves.....

Apologies also to AVE and BoH who have been waiting so very, very patiently.

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:36 pm

contest tree updated
Purazon 12387

vardian
Experienced Adventurer

Postby vardian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Greetings to you all and many, many thanks for all the nice comments concerning the guild challenge. All did not run as smoothly as we would have liked, but we have gone away with lots of ideas of how things can be improved if there is ever a next time. Thank you everyone for your encouragement and we hope that those who DID manage their rounds enjoyed the contest.

We all learned a huge amount while researching the questions! That in itself was a testimony to how wonderful the creative skills in DG are - there were so many areas to delve into at so many levels. Current stories, heroes past and present, true history and events...amazing.

The Remnants of Kimald thank you all for helping to celebrate our 5th birthday.

Given the amount of time that has lapsed, and with due respect for the remaining two guilds who tried so hard to get together - it just wasn't to be...

The Remnants of Kimald are pleased to announce that the Alliance of Valornian Explorers are the overall winners receiving the prize of 10,000 plat. This will be distributed as 2000 per player and the rest to their guild leader to do with as they wish.

The Brotherhood of Honor are worthy runners up receiving the consolation prize of 5,000 plat. This will be distributed as 1,000 per player and 1,000 to the guild leader to do with as they wish.

Can respective guild leaders please contact myself or Purazon so we can arrange to hand the prize money over!

Congratulations all!

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”