Invention Contest (OSS)

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
rikm
Veteran

Invention Contest (OSS)

Postby rikm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:30 am

Invention Contest

Note: This contest is all in fun.

In conjunction with our mandate at the 'Order of Sword and Stylus' we are looking for innovative minds. New and wondrous inventions are what we seek.
It can be a musical instrument, a weapon, an everyday item, or whatever your mind comes up with.

There are a few guidelines that should be followed:
1) Has to be unique. Either an entirely new idea or an improvement on an old one.
2) Must be created with items that could be found in Trinald
3) Everything created must fit into Valorn society and time period.
4) Please post here with your characters name and number with the title of your invention. (Each individual gets one entry. This means if your have alts each one can enter once)

Put your invention to parchment. Be creative. Perhaps as if a grand unveiling or as if being observed being made. I leave it up to you to.

The prizes are:
All 14 Journals of Annia Sacrata
2 Doorway Crystals
1000 coins of platinum

The winner will have first choice as to which prise they will receive and so on

The contest will be running from now for a month until 11:59pm CST, May 14th .

Inventions is a hobby and I have made my share. I will post an example soon though I will not be eligible for the prises.

Kuranor
Last edited by rikm on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rikm
Veteran

Circlet of Illumination

Postby rikm » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:23 am

Just a quick one but thought I would try something different. Just an example of one way you can do it.

Circlet of Illumination

In a room heavy with the heat and humidity of a forge a slender, young man is placing an object upon the head of a bust. The head of the bust seems to have been singed from something. The man begins to grin as he adorns the bust with his latest invention.

You notice now that the object in question is a circlet. Finely crafted with several slender strands of gold and platinum intertwining about one another and coming together in a setting at the forehead of the bust. An odd glowing stone which has been worked and polished for this delicate setting.

With his latest work complete, still ginning, the man sits back and relaxes before his next endeavour.

Kuranor 130264

rikm
Veteran

Re: Invention Contest (OSS)

Postby rikm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:46 pm

By my count there be about 2 weeks left. I look forward to the ingenuity.

Kuranor

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Tue May 06, 2008 11:33 am

While bos meat is an excellent source for the famous Dundee burger, one often wonders if their horns can be of use.
I started carving and created this:
A boshornflute
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Wed May 14, 2008 1:52 am

It seems like I said the 14th but I did not realise it was the middle of the week so I will extend it to Sunday the 18th at midnight.

Plus this might give a few people a chance to enter I am sure there are more inventive people out there It could be almost anything you wish.

My first invention was a sundial there is a discription in the OSS library.
http://oss.dgplayers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173

Kuranor, Order of Sword and Stylus Officer, 'chanter and inventor

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 pm

*sits on the floor, scribbling on a parchment, various items stuck to her clothing and in her disheveled hair*

Greetings!

Outlined below you will see the progress of my work thus far. I will edit these scrolls to reflect the testing and continued progress of this invention ... and that hopefully will happen this next moon. As you can see from my notes below, I am not sure which of the two names I have come up with to call my latest invention and would appreciate any feedback.

"Sky Sail/Wind Tail"

Materials used

- Lots and lots of string
- 4 straight wooden sticks ( two for each - with one slightly larger then the other)
- Old paste ('borrowed' from the Clan of Shrouded Bunnies 'storeroom of discarded items')
- Assorted knives
- A big piece of emerald green silk and multiple other colors and scraps of silk for the tails
- A large piece of parchment (The parchment I used had been been dyed in a swirl of reds, blues and yellows and the center has been painted with the image of a dragon

Using the knife I carved notches into each end of the sticks I used, and miraculously, I did not cut myself. Then I centered the small stick to the big stick (into a cross shape) and very tightly bound them together in the center of the sticks with string ... and I used a little dab of paste (thanks Bunnies) for some added hold. I then took the sting and threaded it around the notches in the sticks of wood (in a diamond shape)over and over - several times to make the "Sky Sail/Wind Tail" frame - the whole time pulling tight to be sure the frame was very taunt and then I tied it off at the center. I made two of these frames.

N ext I laid the one frame down over my large parchment and the other frame on the silk. I cut around each, slow and steadily with my knife, leaving an extra fingers length of material all around on each one. Then I tightly folded the extra fingers length of parchment down over the wooden frame and used the paste to hold it down. I set it aside to dry with some rocks on top to hold the parchment down as it dried. On the second frame, I tightly pulled the extra fingers length of silk over the frame and then tediously sewed it around the sticks just right. Next step was to pierce a small hole through the top and bottom of both the diamond frames materials, with the bottom wholes being larger then the top holes. At the bottom of each hole I made, I tied on (through the hole) the assorted colors and lengths of silk, creating a type of light, short tail on each. On the silk "Sky Sail/Wind Tail' I sewed on all sorts of various other cuts of silk around the frame.i know it looks silly sitting on the ground but my hope is that in the skies it will wave all about a rainbow of colors!

Next I cut for each, a measured length of string. On each frame of th e "Sky Sail/Wind Tail' I tied and knotted one end of the string through the bottom holes and the other through the top holes. A measured length from the center of that newly tied string (more then halfway down from the middle of it) I carefully tied on another very long length of string and then wrapped that length of string around and around a bone. This is the string to hopefully fly the 'Sky Sail/Wind Tail' with and wrapping it around the bone keeps it from tangling and the bone makes it easy to hold.

I have not yet tested as I have already mentioned. I feel that with the materials I have used, they should fly much better with a tail, but if not, I will remove a tail from one and try that way. Hopefully the beach is breazy and clear tonight for my testing. The item I had the most trouble finding was an adhesive for my first model "Sky Sail/Wind Tail' which uses the parchment. So, I must thank Skyelark for telling me about the jars of paste at the Clan of the Shrouded Bunnies Hutch and the Bunnies for not minding that I borrowed a little bit of the said paste that I found in the Storeroom of Discarded things in the Bunnies guild hall. Also a thank you to my friend Lucy who suggested that I try silk for my second model and to Pallas who doesnt know it yet, but will be helping me test!

Thank you all - I will track my progress here.

Ellyana
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Fri May 16, 2008 12:00 am

Starting with an old double-edged dagger, I had the smith split it lengthwise to get two blades, which where then linked at a pivotal point so that the sharp sides are facing each other. Using this, one can cut hair or string or any similar material much safer and more precise than with a mere knife.

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Fri May 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Just an error when posting the extension date Monday morning the 19th I guess 12:00 am will be the close.

I enjoy hearing from creative minds.

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Sat May 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Are you tired of having to bend and stoop to pick up the loot?
Does your back ache after a long day hunting zombies?
Are your guild drudges overwhelmed with all that goo stained laundry?

Well right here... right now... I have the solution to ALL those problems!

Step right up and witness the amazing.. the practical.. the labour saving...

Super-Duper Zombie Head Scooper!!!

*holds up a long wooden stick with a giant crab-thing claw and one end and a handle at the other*

See how sturdy this is. The grabbing claw is firmly attached to the shaft with not one.. not two.. but TEN, yes I'll say it again folks, TEN pieces of top quality gremlin string, wrapped and pasted with only the finest bunny paste. You could pick up an initiate with this baby and it wouldn't fall apart!

Now take a look at this comfortable, non-blister-causing handle at the other end. It's wrapped in soft and supple mountain goat kidskin for the best grip plat can buy. Folks, we spared no expense here. That little ring by the handle is solid gold.. gold I say.

Just slip your finger into the ring while you hold the handle and pull it back... The claw grabs whatever you want to pick! See there's tough and pliable plains catgut running from the ring to the other end, over the little greased pulleys and to the claw. Let the ring slide back and it lets go of whatever it grabbed.

It's easy as spawn! No more gooey hands! No more back-breaking bending! No more Stained clothes!

*demonstrates the Super-Duper Zombie Head Scooper.. picking up three heads in a row and dropping them into a big sack without having to bend*

Plus..... Oh yes, folks, there's more! If you order NOW we'll include this high quality, carry-anything-without-stress-and-mess, big volume sack! Now you can get those heads to the mayor still looking fresh, clean and so pristine.

And it's all for just 29p 9g and 99s It's a Steal I tell ya! Less than 30plat for a lifetime free from goo and aches! And.. don't forget we're throwing in the great carryall sack for FREE!

Send your message birds now! Don't miss out on this AMAZING offer.. be the envy of your friends and your washerwoman's favorite customer!

The Super Duper Zombie Head Scooper CAN be yours TODAY!

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Mon May 19, 2008 1:01 pm

Thank you all who entered. The contest tis here by closed but keep those minds active.

I must say it has been enjoyable hearing of the inventiveness. And I liked all and entries.

This tis a hard one but a decision upon winners will be coming shortly.

Kuranor, Order of Sword and Stylus

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Mon May 19, 2008 11:37 pm

I have decided to give out 4 prise packages (I have modified one ) Because they were all so good.
- 2 doorway crystals
- 14 journals + Book from Aldwythe's Landing + 250 platinum
- 1000 platinum
- and 500 platinum

This was a hard decision though with conference I believe we have an order. As I said I liked them all and it wasn't easy.

First choice (1000 platinum) goes to Ellyanna for the invention of Sky Sail / Wind Tail
- It was neat the describing of making it even to give out a sort of blueprint to make one. It also looked like lots of fun hopefully Pallas will survive the prototype phase.
Second choice (500plat) to Jezzera for the Super-Duper Zombie Head Scooper.
- What a sales pitch. Are you now going to lay down your sword and become a travelling merchant Jezz? Or just a side job. I can also see this being used by the caretakers to clean up some failed cannon rider bits. ** grins **
Third choice (2 doorway crystals) to Valina for the cutting utensil.
- What a simple yet useful invention. I know it would come in handy in many instances. Makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of it.
Forth (14 journals + Book from Aldwythe's Landing + 250 platinum) to Purazon for the Boss horn Flute.
- A musical instrument carved from a item usually discarded by many. I also like the depiction that accompanied it.

Again it was a hard choice to make an order for you all did so well for different reasons.
We at the Order of Sword and Stylus thank you all for your entries.

I am in the process of contacting the winners.
Kuranor
Last edited by rikm on Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 am

Lay down my weapon? What are you thinking? **chuckles** thank you for organizing the contest and thank you for choosing my invention. I had fun!

Jezz

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Tue May 20, 2008 12:43 am

*narrows eyes playfully* patent pending!!! :P

If Pallas does not survive the testing phase then I'll have to change the name to dedicate the invention to him. *chuckles* Thank you very much. It was great fun and all the inventions were wonderful. :)
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero

Ellyana - 118743

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Tue May 20, 2008 7:29 am

It was fun to read, all. Congratulations to the winners.

Thank you OSS for organising the contest.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 am

I'd like to place an order for the super duper zombie head scooper?

Fun contest and fun entries to read! I think I'll pass on Elly's invention. until Pallas has returned to ground safely.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 pm

No offense, Elly. I think I will just pass, period. I done the no feet on the ground thing and really don't wanna go back to it again.
Er ... this super dooper thingy .... does it work on small shields? *Looks hopeful*
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

"Or you children of today, are children of the grave"
Will never be tamed

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

*chuckles* You fly the sail into the air ... it does not fly you, silly people! it is too small! But ...hhmmm ... that is a great idea that Pallas and I did discuss very briefly. *scribbles some notes*

Disclaimer - The Pallas related mishaps (which were more accuratly involving me) were not really related to the Sky Sails themselves but more to my own, aaaah, clumsiness.

In other words, user error!:)

Ellyana - 118743

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Az your order is in the mail! :D

Shir... It works on Heads. It works on tails. it works on pouches. It works on ales. It works on Shields. It works on Jellies. It scratches backs and tickles bellies!

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm

They were all such good inventions any one could have gotten first choice of a prise package but through conferencing someone had to be given first choice.

You sound like you were born for the travelling sales market Jezzera and standing orders already. I meant nothing by asking if you are to lay down your sword.
A sail that could carry a person is an intriguing concept though I think Ellyanna may hold a patent?

Perchance we will have to hold another contest of inventions in the future. But not for quite awhile methinks. This was so much fun thank you all.

Kuranor, Order of Sword and Stylus

Shirila Blades
Veteran

Postby Shirila Blades » Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 pm

JezzTheWarrior wrote:Az your order is in the mail! :D

Shir... It works on Heads. It works on tails. it works on pouches. It works on ales. It works on Shields. It works on Jellies. It scratches backs and tickles bellies!

OoO a belly tickler ... me wanteth!
"Everyone knows the only one unmatched in blade is me. Probably the only one who can claim knowledge of multiple classes is Shirila."
Hacken

"Or you children of today, are children of the grave"
Will never be tamed

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”