Open door for all guilds - permanent event

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Open door for all guilds - permanent event

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Well, I thought it'd be a good idea if there were a place were mentors could direct newbies to so they could inform themselves about what different guilds are like, rather than "accidentally" joining the first guild that happens to make a premature offer.

Basically, you're supposed to post here how you would present yourself on a stand within Jolan's welcoming center.

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:46 pm

*a bit hesitantly* While I agree that people shouldn't be joining the first guild that approaches them (and there have always been guilds who exploit that) I'm not sure I like this idea.

Even counting mistakes people make when joining guilds too quickly, learning about guilds and meeting people within them is one of the great RP joys of the first 10 levels or so (or more.)

I know plenty of mentors who will gladly give contact names for different guilds, and those who actually want to roleplay can go and do so.

Having blurbs here will not stop 'that kind' of guild recruiting from the new characters, possibly before they even check out the forum or speak to other people.

In addition, I know there was a reason why Ben closed the part of this forum that was for precisely this. It was called 'the grand guild hall' or some such. I am not sure of his reasons for doing so, but I can't imagine they've changed.

~ Fleur

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. **sheepish smile**

So please disregard the invitation to post about your guild here.

AguaVerde
Adventurer

Postby AguaVerde » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Yes, that must have happened before my time, as well.

Urkki
Veteran

Postby Urkki » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:04 pm

Might have had something to do with the fact that it wasn't used that much...and mostly didn't offer up to date information about anything. But...this is just speculation. :wink:

Ever wondered who sponsored who? Here's your chance to find out: Lineages!

charid for all the contests I forgot to post it for: 29984 ;)

JezzTheWarrior
Adventurer

Postby JezzTheWarrior » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:41 pm

Rather than an advertisement for various guilds, in which a lot of guilds would most likely say the same thing, I would prefer to see some practical advice on looking for a guild.

A guild is comprised of people, therefore the only way to know whether a guild is right for you is to read the people rather than a statement of the supposed ideals and goals of that guild.

Something along the lines of:

Take your time. There's no rush to join a guild.

Meet as many people as you can in the guild you're interested in.

Ask people outside of that guild what their impression of it is.

Then ask yourself these questions...

Do I get along with the people in this guild?

Do I share their view of what a guild should be?

Do I respect the leadership?

Do they do something to achieve their goals or just pay lip service to them?

Does this guild fit with my needs? e.g. fun, helpful, stable, peaceful, military in style, democratic, dramatic, one big party, seriously educational, small, large, devoted to the Gods of Valorn, or anything else you might consider to be important.

Does this guild recruit in a manner that is likely to attract people I want to be around?

Is this guild likely to reject prospective members whom I would not like to be around?

Do I know enough about other guilds to be able to make an informed choice?

If you can't answer at least those questions, you're not ready to join a guild.

I'm sure other folks could write this better and there are a lot more questions people should ask before choosing which guild to apply to, but it's the sort of thing I try to pass along to people who ask me about joining a guild. No matter how great a guild is, it's not going to be right for everyone.

Jezzara

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:24 pm

This whole thing sounds to me like a project someone could take on and host it on a DGplayers domain. A guild guide, of sorts, with general guild joining tips like Jezzara suggests and as objective an overview of the guilds as possible (Nothing subjective about how great they are or whatever, basic things like creation date, average size, guild hall location, leader/officer links for contact).

If any of you feels like making that, I think that'd be pretty good. ;)

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Well said Jezz.

It is a very important decission and should take some time in deciding upon a guild.

Anarion has compiled a list of most of the guilds and their leaders on his guilds forum.

AguaVerde
Adventurer

Postby AguaVerde » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Those are all great comments. I like your suggestion, Korrith to put it on DGPlayers. Perhaps we could get it organized and post it there in time for the guild event later in February.

Urey
New Adventurer

Postby Urey » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:07 pm

I forone agree with everything that all of you fine ladies and gentlemen have said and will help with this project in anyway *smiles*
Urey Blacksmith :-93750

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”