Art Contest: What does your Guild Hall look like?

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Sreip
Veteran

Art Contest: What does your Guild Hall look like?

Postby Sreip » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 pm

There's so much discussion these days about guild halls, it made me wonder, well, what do people think their halls look like?

To submit: Two drawings - one of a frontal view and one of a cannon eye view of your guild hall/mansion/compound. The aerial view must show the entire general sprawl/layout of your hall. If your hall is one big building, you could do a version of the roof being removed and looking down.

One submission per guild. Each drawing could be done by a different member of the guild.

These drawings can be any medium - pen, pencil, paint, photoshopping, clay, butter, whatever. :D

How do you win? The guild's whose pictures most accurately and prettily depict what the IC description/layout in the game is wins. I.E. if your drawing of the front of your guild hall has gargoyles and your IC description doesn't have them, well, that's not very accurate.

This contest is being run by me, the player. A set of secret judges have volunteered. None of them are members of my guild (CSB), members of the same guild, or are Iron Knights. The art will be judged on a point scale value, and the one(s) with the most points wins.

This contest is open to all guilds that have a hall in the game. Remember, it's a team effort! I would imagine some discussion and agreement to occur before anything gets submitted.

Prizes! I am donating two months of premium to the winning guild (who'd tell me which one or two people they want it to go to), and a bevy of plat, potions, and other goodies for the guild to give out amongst themselves.

Contest ends 11:59pm GMT January 15th.
Post your guild entries here - have one person submit it. Include the name of your guild and where it is located in the game. Also post here any questions.

Good luck everyone!
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:47 pm

A good idea. This may give me a chance to use my new tablet but I may not have the time.

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:59 am

Could we do a subterrean view rather than an area view for the Hutch? It's so much more lively underground :)
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:55 am

Gonna have to say no, because it's a cannon eye view layout.
If it was ALL underground, that's be a different sort of story. Since more than 50% of the CSB hall is above ground, there's enough there for an above ground, cannon eye view layout. Remember, the drawing can have the roof removed to show the interior if the hall is all one building and not a sprawling compound.

Drawings of just a roof might not be very entertaining. :D

In consideration of that, if there is a guild hall that is more than 50% of their rooms underground, they can choose one "level" - a cannon eye view layout, or one "level" of the underground sprawl. It's up to the guild to decide what they want to do.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Less than a week left! Only five days in fact! January 15th is the deadline for these fabulous arts!

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I object! It's not my fault you all built rooms above ground!
What kind of game would you make?

"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 am

Actually, technically, yeah, for CSB's hall? It is your fault Cerbie. :D

Back to the matter, a couple of guilds have asked for an extension so they can work more on their art. And so, I'll extend it another week to 11:59 PM GMT January 22nd.

The prize pot stands to be at least: Two months premium, Three Weapon Primitives, various scrolls (that aren't gibberish), and more than 2000 plat. You can only expect the pot to grow.

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

AguaVerde
Adventurer

Postby AguaVerde » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:13 am

Wow! Thanks for the extension!

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 am

Tomorrow night is the deadline.

As someone pointed out to me, how does one post?
You may post a link to photobucket, or any other image hosting site, or you can directly post the pictures here in the forums

If you are having trouble resizing, I'd like to suggest a program called Irfanview. It's free, and can resize any drawing/picture and even change the format. For example your 1200x2000 .bmp can be turned into a 45x120 .jpg with just a couple of clicks.

Thanks!

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Richard DeVille
New Adventurer

Postby Richard DeVille » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 am

Remnants of Kimald.
Location, North-guildlot of Laleldan Square

Aerial 'Cannon-eye' View
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/MasterofIllusions/compound2-1.jpg

Front Gate
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/MasterofIllusions/Gateway2-1.jpg

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 pm

Submitted on behalf of CSB - the guildhall south and west (then south again) of the northern Dundee life monument.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/Gyni_I_Papas/Coloring03.jpg

frontal view courtesy of Gyni

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/warriorjezzara/canon1.jpg

cannon view courtesy of Jezzara
Last edited by AKA Azure on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Entries from the Alliance of Valornian Explorers.
Sunrifter view

Front view

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

jahud
New Adventurer

Postby jahud » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 pm

Respectfully submitted for The New Era Guild.
We are a fairly new guild and as such these 2 perspectives are are based upon the diagram we're using as a template, and that not all construction in the game is complete yet, but when we have enough points this tis how it'll look.

Click image to enlarge

Template and other images may be viewed at New Era Guild forum, under Guildhall Construction, General Layout and Guildhall (prelim drawings). http://z15.invisionfree.com/NewEraGuildhall/index.php?act=idx

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 am

According to my world clock, the contest is now over!

Thank you to all the guilds that entered! The judges will be reviewing your halls in the game and a winner will be named in the next couple of days.
:D

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:12 pm

A couple of days turned into more than a week, but the results are finally in! Some judges just took longer than others.

Here are the point totals, in order of entries posted, with all the comments from every judge about each. They were reminded to concentrate on accuracy over artistic quality:

ROK:
Front View total: 16.5 out of 20
Comments: … I wished I could see the tower in the distance that is mentioned at the front gate, in the frontal view. Also, there is a big wooden door in the frontal view, which is not in the description… It's simple and well done, it fits with the description of the front gate and it is even possible to discern the words written on the stone, which adds even more accuarcy…. It looks like the doors are made of wood and not the white granite the description says.

Aerial View total: 17.5 out of 20
Comments: … The aerial view was particularly thoughtful and nice and architectural in feeling… dead on accurate… No pathways to statue in memorial park, no people in bazaar, no chimney on tavern, dock is short instead of long… Again, a nice and easy visual guide to what appears to be in the area, complete with Eldrin's ship. Nice use of colour aswell.

CSB
Front View total: 18.25 out of 20
Comments: … While the artwork of the frontal view is breathtakingly beautiful, and very architectural, it doesn’t stick 100% to the description. We are standing just inside the wrought iron fence and so cannot see it, and the walls of the building aren’t entirely stone in the artist rendering, although they are in the description (I think). Nonetheless, very close to representing the description and, gawd, beautiful – dig the lanterns hanging in the courtyard… I really like how this looks, it's accurate and highly detailed. Matches what is described and builds upon it giving me at least a more solid veiw of what exists withing the world….. Where’s the gate? Otherwise, the frontal view is rather accurate…. I like the trees….

Aieral View Total: 18 out of 20
Comments: …. I love the scared bird, doubtless the same one who is always getting barely missed by cannon riders….. The overhead view shows an accurate layout, but the inner garden area is confusing. The description reads like it’s a separate room, a greenhouse sort of thing. The overhead picture has it like a balcony running around the library…. Again really quite accurate though a very different style to the frontal veiw it continues to match what is described within the hall's individual rooms. I particularly like the trees. Almost missed the bird shedding it's feathers, I assume it was shocked by some adventurer flying by, made me smile at least….. The aerial view was, I thought, faithful to the description, though not particularly artistic…

AVE:
Frontal view total: 9.5 out of 20
Comments: …The frontal view is not accurate in that while both wooden doors are supposed to have a five-pointed star, the AVE symbol, the one on the left is six-pointed. The entrance of the fortress is described as “is expansive and featurelessâ€

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Thank you Sreip and judges for the comments and the contest. I know when I first read it I thought 'gee, how hard can it be?' (since I wasn't going to be drawing it). Boy, was I wrong!

It generated lots of commentary and thought, and lots of great art.

Thanks again. I'll never look at guildhalls in the same way.

And, having a silent Sreip about so to speak was an added bonus.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

AguaVerde
Adventurer

Postby AguaVerde » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 am

I too really enjoyed the idea of the contest as well as what was submitted. I wish I had time to turn out a sketch or two myself. Still might do it, just for the fun of it.

Well done, y'all! :D

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”