A Proposition of Fighting

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Fon
Veteran

A Proposition of Fighting

Postby Fon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:11 am

Yes, yes, Mr. Fondour has been gone for soooo long. I could make another thread, explain that I am trying to stay active, but truth is: I doubt I will stay active. The reason for this being I used to be a 10-hour-a-day addict for the RP this site had to offer. I took it a step further, doing RP sites where 200 posts in a thread was natural, with most posts being over 500 words long. Coming back here, I have my doubts. This is in no way at all meant to be a knock on the people here; the people here are extremely kind-hearted and build up the game. My doubts lie within the ACTUAL roleplay abilities of my fellow adventurers. Coming back here simply causes my doubts, which causes my interest to waver.

So, in short; I WANT to come back, but after a while it is inevitable that like the many futile attempts before, I won't stay longer than it takes for me to use up a Nobility someone so-kindly gives me. What I wish is that some others take on my style of RP...Of I post, you post, full thread of fighting. Will it make me stay longer? Given that I am an optimist, yes it will; however, if my expectations are set too high even now, I believe it shall be my end. So, if anyone has interest pertaining to my proposition, I shall explain deeper. And no matter what, I'll be sure to give SOMETHING to the ones who really do try.
Once, I typed 'teh' to be ironic. But, I screwed up typing and it came out 'the'

# 42308

Maerad
New Adventurer

Postby Maerad » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:13 am

*grins* Do explain further, if you will!

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:20 am

That was quick.

I shall have multiple threads with however many people I may wish to fight. These threads will follow basic forum-RP rules:

1. No god-modding. In other words, if you swing your sword, you can't say it impales me. Only I can.

2. Just because you can say it doesn't mean you can do it. If you fall on the ground and break both legs, my sword swing is extremely likely to hit you.

3. And common sense.

And these fights shall follow simple rules of basic equipment to start the match, such as a sword, shield, armor, helmet, etc. Nothing special at all.

Please note that I am not seeking I swing you swing fights. Let me give you an example of one of my more recent posts on an anonymous site.

[quote]"Oh, Lord..." Kiyoshi spotted the onrush of icy snow coming at him, his eyes bulging in surprise at the power of the jutsu coming at him. Even without the eyes of some esteemed clans, the chakra placed into this technique appeared to flow off every flake of snow, every shard of ice, and every breath of wind. "I will not..." Kiyoshi turned, his back facing the ground as his wings came to a halt.[i]

A small boy with bright golden hair laughed, a friendly hand rubbing the top of his disheveled shoulder length hair. A blue suit bearing a white cross lay across his chilled and shivering body. It was abnormally cold for that time of year, even if they were on the outskirts of the ice plains. The boy was probably only 12, meaning that because of Enzeru standards he had received no genin training but had simply been taught by the ways of other Enzeru, including the large man who rubbed his hair, whom he called ‘Assh-sensei,’ his real name being Asshi, but as the name referred to death, Assh worked just fine. The man above the boy was probably only 27, his hair a long red, symbolizing his rank in the Enzeru…he was a hero amongst them. Known as an Eiyuugouketsu, these heroes were the ones of legend: playing major roles in wars, capturing hundreds of nukenin, and anything between. A man of 27 at this age must be remarkably skilled, more than likely positioned at a genius standing.

â€

Once, I typed 'teh' to be ironic. But, I screwed up typing and it came out 'the'

# 42308

Maerad
New Adventurer

Postby Maerad » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:34 am

Most interesting if I do say so. I will think about this and reply again when I've had some sleep :D
Maerad Shadowfire, Warrior

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 am

I believe the original intent of the Lord Cory's Social Hall forum was to give a place for fiction AND for forum RPs. You can find both in that forum, but it has been a long time since any of the RP threads was active. (The "Cerbie's Grill" thread fell inactive in January, 2006. Others went inactive further back.) See the sticky post in Lord Cory's Social Hall, "Rules for this Forum".

Grom Hellscream wrote:1) All rules for other forums apply here. This includes no cussing, racial slurs, perversion, hostility (out of character) and so forth. These rules are placed for your benefit as well as the rest of the players.

2) (My MAJOR rule) No forced actions. Simply...a forced action is an action during roleplaying that decides the fate of a person before the other player can decide his/her own fate. This rule is designed to keep creativity high. If you were allowed to go around ripping hearts out through nostrils, where would the fun be? For example:

*Grom punches Aethany in the chest and rips out the Blacksmiths heart* (forced hit)

*Grom throws his balled fist in the direction of Aenthany's heart*
*Aethany turns, but not fast enough to dodge the fastly approaching hand as it connected with her shoulder* AH!...(actual RP)

With the lack of forced hits, the receiving player must be creative and choose how to dodge, pary, or take the hit. You cannot miss all hits, nor should you take them all, but be realistic with this.

3) The person that starts a thread is the narrator, they make all world changes and move the bad guys (unless another is assigned to that by that player)...This will reduce confusion and allow the person to play out their story.

[There are two other rules, by the way, but these are the most relevant so far.]

What Fon calls "god-modding", Grom called "forced action", and I have called "auto-hit". Grom gave a good example.

Fon, your #2 makes me think you need Grom's Rule #3. If someone posts that they do something that is questionable, who would decide that it is invalid? Essentially you need either a game master or a policy for player(s) nullification of a previous post. Grom's solution was to declare the thread-initiator is the "narrator", and that includes the GM duty of monitoring players' posted actions for forced actions, and impossible sequences of actions.

I recommend also that you expect people to post just one new action at a time. It reduces the chance of inadvertent forced actions or forced inactions. Example:
James closed the heavy restaurant menu and used it to block the blow-dart. He rolled out of his chair to his right, drawing his pistol as he finished the roll in a crouch and tried to locate the origin of the dart. He fired a shot straight up at the ceiling. Restaurant patrons panicked. Some ducked, some covered, some ducked and covered. Some chose flight and rushed in all directions, looking for a way out. James shot at the ceiling again and brandished the pistol to scatter them away from himself, while he watched for purposeful movement to the exits that would betray the would-be assassin.

In this example, note well that blocking the dart is not what I would consider a "new action"; it is a counter to another's previous action. I think it's perfectly acceptable to respond with one action to a previous post and then initiate your own new action. But that should have been limited to "He rolled out of his chair to his right ... tried to locate the origin of the dart", and maybe as far as firing into the ceiling the first time to cause a stampede. But continuing to the second shot assumes that the assassin is doing nothing this whole time. That constitutes forced inaction. Give the player of the assassin a chance to react to the block and the James' next action. The second part is a good plan for trying to identify the assassin amid the crowd, but it assumes that the assassin doesn't follow up with a second attack or a range of potentially cool stuff. If the assassin player tries to duck out during the commotion, THEN you post the second part to justify spotting the assassin and being able to follow.

I suspect that the italicized part of Fon's example was a scene initiated by the narrator/GM, and that the final two paragraphs of normal font were the single post in response. If that wasn't the case, I'd say the italicized part violates the guidelines.

ilnar
New Adventurer

Postby ilnar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:19 pm

i like,
although my spelling and grammer will most likly disquaify me from any rp battles, i look forward to seeing some!

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:58 pm

Indeed, this form of roleplay was the original supposition upon which this part of the forum was created.

It fell wayside mostly because of an influx of "3 word post" type threads dissolving the atmosphere (which I surely attributed to time and again with parodied pop songs), and then again further as the availability of in-game opportunities for player interaction increased. People came here to roleplay early in the days of DG, because the majority of time spent in game was just clicking and there were very lax rules about OOC & IC that caused some problems.

Either way, Fondour, yer attitude is quite pretentious. So perhaps to beg myself your equal in pretentiousness, I will go ahead and wish you luck in finding somebody who actually wants to take the time to design well-written and creative play with a person whom just spent 4 paragraphs on the brink of nearly questioning their ability to form a sentence with both a noun and a verb. From the way I've always understood it, half the enjoyment of yer favored type of roleplay comes from appreciating your partners' craft, so why then bother share your clearly superior and well-practiced ability to scribble down some fantastical dance of jabs and parries with us lot of sorry unworthies. Further, you've already said your doubts are high and your interest in waning, so I'd be skeptical to believe you'd put so very much effort into your own play not that we could ever be the wiser what with all our ineptitudes.

If I call you a jerk and then beg your pardon, I've still called you a jerk, haven't I?
Last edited by Cerberus on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

ilnar
New Adventurer

Postby ilnar » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 pm

:) ahhh that was fun,,,,,
*grins at cerberus*

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”