OSW legend writing contest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

OSW legend writing contest

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:09 am

We have been wanting to do this for some time, so it's not part of Ben's June "contest contest":

The Order of the Silver Wolf is holding a story-writing contest. Any member of the Valornian community (except OSW officers) may participate.

We are looking for you to create a legend explaining the background story of one of the kill-boss-monster-to-get-item quests. Most of these quests don't have any story behind how the monster got there, or how he/she/it came into possession of the special item he drops. Your challenge is to invent that background story. The story you write should not contradict past and current in-game story lines.

Entries will be judged and winners chosen by the officers of the OSW. Prizes will be awarded for the story or stories we choose.

The big prize is a con+1 golden age selfmod. If you currently have less than 100+level-1 stats, you get a stat reset instead. Actually, for a certain reason, you get the money for one ;) . You also can choose the money if you don't want to risk using a selfmod.

All submissions must be pm'ed to my account on this forum. At the end, all submissions will be published in a special thread on the OSW forum. I will then put a link here. Be aware the thread will probably contain spoilers.

All works must be submitted within a month from now. that means submission ends at the day of next month with the same number as today, midnight, DG time.

The winners will be decided on as soon as we can manage.

Melevolent_Queen
New Adventurer

Re: OSW legend writing contest

Postby Melevolent_Queen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Valina Ravenclaw wrote:We have been wanting to do this for some time, so it's not part of Ben's June "contest contest":

The Order of the Silver Wolf is holding a story-writing contest. Any member of the Valornian community (except OSW officers) may participate.

We are looking for you to create a legend explaining the background story of one of the kill-boss-monster-to-get-item quests. Most of these quests don't have any story behind how the monster got there, or how he/she/it came into possession of the special item he drops. Your challenge is to invent that background story. The story you write should not contradict past and current in-game story lines.

Entries will be judged and winners chosen by the officers of the OSW. Prizes will be awarded for the story or stories we choose.

The big prize is a con+1 golden age selfmod. If you currently have less than 100+level-1 stats, you get a stat reset instead. Actually, for a certain reason, you get the money for one ;) . You also can choose the money if you don't want to risk using a selfmod.

All submissions must be pm'ed to my account on this forum. At the end, all submissions will be published in a special thread on the OSW forum. I will then put a link here. Be aware the thread will probably contain spoilers.

All works must be submitted within a month from now. that means submission ends at the day of next month with the same number as today, midnight, DG time.

The winners will be decided on as soon as we can manage.

Gosh that sounds awesome. Man I cant participate..that is really soo wrong, but it is fair...since I am a member of OSW and I would most likely be the best writer anyhow.... *wink* 8)
Only thing worse than a suckup, is a moron who thinks he's a leader, without ever listening to his followers.
You want to know who I am? look at those whom I fight to protect.

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Errm, actually we just said that OSW *officers*, who will be the jury, won't be allowed to participate.

Melevolent_Queen
New Adventurer

Postby Melevolent_Queen » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Valina Ravenclaw wrote:Errm, actually we just said that OSW *officers*, who will be the jury, won't be allowed to participate.

Really? OMG That is great!! Val you are great. Oh yeah and this is LeCondra.
Only thing worse than a suckup, is a moron who thinks he's a leader, without ever listening to his followers.
You want to know who I am? look at those whom I fight to protect.

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Oooh, folks, don't forget about this one! I'm looking forward to seeing what folks write!

*sighs* and we can't until the contest is over...

Hurry up July 9. (That's the right deadline, right?)

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:57 pm

July 9th is the right deadline, but you'll have to wait for the legends a bit longer, as judging starts only then. Unless we decide to publish them at the deadline, no real reason not to.

Participation, however, has been pitifully small so far. Only two entrants including Azure's. So come on, there is still time, and a chance to win.

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:28 pm

So it's a legend about a quest item/boss... how do you define a quest? Because otherwise I'm going to pick from what the CSB almanac has listed as Quests, if that's okay.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:09 pm

For the purpose of this contest, a quest is every occassion of an item being dropped by a creature spawned by the clock, rather than the "normal" way. You could also define these creatures as "one per dungeon", aka "boss monster". Also, everything were you need to hand over items to NPC's to get an item is a quest.

The second condition is that the item you get must be undropable.

All the quests listed in the almanac fall under this definition.

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:34 am

Thanks for clearing that up!
*gets to scribbling*
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:18 pm

I was told that it is allowed to submit more than one?

Because I cannot make up my mind.

Topaz

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Yes, you can submit more than one. But only the one we think is your best will be considered for the prizes, to be fair on the others.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Is there a word limit, and if so, what is it?

Topaz

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 pm

No **smiles**

mojo the beer god
New Adventurer

Postby mojo the beer god » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:07 am

Come on Topaz! I'm looking forward to reading your entry(s)... and everyone else's. as well! Only a few days left! **grins** Let's get those entries in! **lets out a big howl** HOooooooooooooooowwwwllllll!!!!!

Mooj Derkber

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:40 pm

Can you be more specific about this Monday deadline, i.e. is it Monday morning or Monday night, and in which time zone?

Topaz

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Re: OSW legend writing contest

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Valina Ravenclaw wrote:All works must be submitted within a month from now. that means submission ends at the day of next month with the same number as today, midnight, DG time.

DG time is the timestamp on all pms, and therefor was the obvious choice. I believe it is central standard time. Far as i could tell, it is one hour behind EST.

Valina Ravenclaw
Adventurer

Postby Valina Ravenclaw » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:23 pm

The contest is over, the winners have been notified, and a time for a reading of the winning entries and handing over of the prizes will be arranged.

All the entries can be read here:
http://osw.dgplayers.net/invboard/index.php?showtopic=432

But remember, don't click the link if quests are something you wish to learn about in-game only!

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:22 am

Congrats to the winners, whoever they are! :D All the entries were a fun fun read.

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Skyelark
New Adventurer

Postby Skyelark » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 pm

I know you wanted to have the readings on Friday-but I won't be able to make it *sighs* Will you still be having it on Fri. and if so, do you want someone else to read mine??

Skye

mojo the beer god
New Adventurer

Postby mojo the beer god » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm

Skye,

We have postponed our readings and the award ceremony until we can find a time when winners can both be present. Would you please give me an idea of best times to shoot for?

Thanks.

Mooj Derkber

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”