"PICTURE IT" Contest #1: Building of Glass

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

"PICTURE IT" Contest #1: Building of Glass

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 am

One of the interesting things about The Dark Grimoire is that everybody probably has a different idea of what exactly things in the world look like. Of course, when I design an area, I "know" what it looks like, since I picture the thing in my head as I write the description. However, the description can't completely touch on every aspect of the things I am describing, or else it would be pages long and nobody would want to read THAT everytime they moved to a new area. =)

I am sure that based on the vague descriptions that litter the game, people have formed their own opinions on exactly what certain places look like... the more imaginitive among you may even see a picture in your head when you think about a certain place in Valorn..... such as Fartown's grass wallks, or the grand Building of Glass, or the inside of the Great Forge. Because the descriptions are vague, however, I would bet that your vision of the thing is very different from my own.

Starting with this contest, we will be running a series of contests with the goal of getting inside my head. Yes, it is time for you to run around in my head. But not literally.

I will give you a place... for this first contest, it is the Building of Glass located south of Dundee... and I will give you a viewing angle... in this case, we want an exterior shot where you can see the entire building... and then the artists out there will DRAW or PAINT or whatever what they think the particular landmark in Valorn looks like.

The winner will be the one that gets the closest to "reality"... or, in other words, what I pictured in my head when I originally made the place (and what I see in my own head whenever I read my own description.) Walking to the place and reading the area description would be a good place to start. =)

The winner of this contest will get
1) Their art displayed on a page of in-game, player-made location artwork linked off of the STORY page.
2) Their choice of 1 of 2:
a) A pre or post name title (your choice as to if it is pre or post name, but the Admins get to choose the actual name. =))
OR
b) An NPC or minor landmark for your guild hall, the type of which will be randomly drawn from a hat. (Such as a cleric, an innkeeper, a potion person, a lifestone, and maybe some other surprises I'll think up. Or not.)

RULES:

1) All art must be submitted in JPG or GIF format by posting it in this thread on the following days: January 26, January 27, by the end of the day American Central Time. You have until then to prepare your art, but you should avoid posting until those last two days so others don't steal your ideas. =)

2) All submitted art must be an original work by the submitter.

3) By submitting art, by posting the art in this thread, you are turning over all rights to the particular work to Grimoire Entertainment Inc..

4) Only one submission per contest per human being.

5) Artwork posted in here should be no bigger than 600 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. Art can be sketched, painted, photoshopped, or made in any way you please. Please use your own website to host the image, or use a free service to host the image, such as Image Shack (http://www.imageshack.us/).

Any questions can be posted in this thread. Remember, this contest ends at the end of the day on January 27th in the game server's timezone.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 am

I just wanted to mention that this particular contest is not going to be easy at all. I picked kind of a hard one to start with because, if you go look, there really isn't much of a description outside the building of glass. This was before I got really involved with the game (the building was like the third thing I ever made, and I really didn't know what I was doing.)

Nevertheless, it is an iconic thing right by the beginning of the game, so people have been around it a lot and I figure it has sparked some discussion on what exactly it is in the past....... so I think it is a good place to start despite the lack of a "lead" to go on.
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:31 am

No, you can't submit poetry. I hate reading poetry. I'd rather you submit barbed wire for me to clean my teeth with than have you submit poetry I must then read.

This is for visual artwork only, please. ;)

YES, you can submit even if you are not good.
Last edited by Ben on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm afraid this is a stupid question, but I just wanted to ask; does the NPC have to go into an already existing Guild Hall Room, or can we wait to create a room for said NPC to be inserted into?

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:22 am

It has to be there when I put it in, or else I can't put it in. Right?
Ben

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:28 pm

That's what I figured. Thank you Ben.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Don't forget to post, starting at midnight. =) Hopefully somebody will take part in this contest. ;)
Ben

Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Alfin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:52 am

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/ ... 15/ToG.gif
Sorry if this is a little "Peanuts" like. :)
--- There is only one truth, but many views of it.

sashtan
Experienced Adventurer

Postby sashtan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:04 am

i think it looks great alfin

Korba
Veteran

Postby Korba » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:01 am

Looking North Towards the Building of Glass

Korba
Last edited by Korba on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

Building of Glass by Red Bumo

Postby Red Bumo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 pm

Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already.
Marcus Aurelius 121-180 Roman Emporer

Alison
New Adventurer

Postby Alison » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Atia 102503
Last edited by Alison on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atia 102503

Red Bumo
New Adventurer

Nice

Postby Red Bumo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:13 pm

That is fantastic Alison, the colours are great.

Red
Let not your mind run on what you lack as much as on what you have already.

Marcus Aurelius 121-180 Roman Emporer

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Purazon 12387 ;)
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

Aryana Moonsong
New Adventurer

The Glass Tavern

Postby Aryana Moonsong » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:30 pm

http://mradowich.photosite.com/Album1/

*smiles*

Well here is my attempt at it. Good luck to everyone. I love all the artwork Ive seen so far!

Aryana Moonsong
Last edited by Aryana Moonsong on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~"Does this look infected to you?" Last words of the undead hunter~

Wyf_Broadskull
Adventurer

Postby Wyf_Broadskull » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Last edited by Wyf_Broadskull on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gallan Fireblade
New Adventurer

Postby Gallan Fireblade » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:14 am

Quote from Ben: Besides, I have a continent to go build after this week, so I don't have time for any goofy holidays

Fenris Amon
New Adventurer

Postby Fenris Amon » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:34 am

I had one done in oil pastel, too bad my scanner isn't working properly. I'll just post something I did in a few moments on photoshop. Can't say I didn't try. Alas, I'll get it fixed up in time for the next contest though.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m177 ... /Glass.jpg

Sinef Noma.
Sinef Noma

Cerdinak
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Cerdinak » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:48 am

Here's my simple entry.
Cerdinak (Character 90666)

One of the last of the Shadow Kin
A small group of rogues who share the night and its secrets.

Jade Silvermoon
Adventurer

Postby Jade Silvermoon » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Ok my artistic talent is not the greatest, but here goes :lol:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/g ... tower3.jpg

Char# 26335

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”