A Quick Little Contest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

A Quick Little Contest

Postby Alfin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:10 pm

I'm wanting to know what the citizens of Valorn think. So, I'm hosting this little contest.
I would really like to hear from the newer citizens.

What attribute is most important to a knight, and why?
Anything from cleanliness to bravery to intelligence.

Post your answers here, and the winner will get 500 plat and a teleport scroll.
You must include your Char. Number.
Only one entry per person, and Iron Knights may not enter.
Entries accepted Friday and Saturday. I will post the winner on Sunday.
--- There is only one truth, but many views of it.

Luna
New Adventurer

Postby Luna » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:36 pm

this question immediatly brings to mind a fairy tale *smiles* heroism, and damsels in distress... somone who will save the world with a single blow from his mighty sword, then ride off into the sunset on his noble white horse... always willing to lend a hand to anyone in need, and willing to serve, and die for that which is important. having said that, my answer to this question is... body odor, I dont want a knight who stinks to the high heavens *winks and giggles*

Luna - Tic Ambrose

**blows sparkly flavoured kisses to everyone**
May all the Universe Sparkle for YOU!

FirBolg
New Adventurer

Honor

Postby FirBolg » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Honor, as it includes all other attributes of a knight, an honorable knight is charitable and honorable knight is honest, an honorable knight fights for the weak and justice an honorable knight is kind, so on and so forth,without honor a knight is just a mercenary

((if you happen to choose my response as the winner please give my winnings to H.O.N.O.R. via Kalea, Skylsganin, Reesa Ambernight, Talisk Blademaker , or really anyother member you stumble across ))

Dimli Litte
New Adventurer

Postby Dimli Litte » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:15 pm

A tricky question which brings to mind that old saying -

May I be granted the courage to change the things that I can change
The serenity to accept the things that I cannot change
And the wisdom to know the difference

So.... my answer would have to be Wisdom then...... :roll:

Valdar 103870

Thorne Blackrose
New Adventurer

Postby Thorne Blackrose » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:56 pm

First of all, congratulations on your knighthood, Slowhand. From what I have heard from those that know you better, it is well deserved. As to your question:

Knights are the armored fist to enforce philosophical and/or political will. If they were not a powerful force there would be no orders of knighthood and certainly no talk of higher ideals to justify their existence. Therefore, inherently, strength is the most important attribute of a knight.

-Th.

Thorne Blackrose
"I should have been a pair of ragged claws; Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." - Eliot

Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Alfin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:50 pm

As a side note...

I am asking this question, and I am sole judge.
Any questions, or complaints, or disagreements for that matter, should be addressed directly to me.

So far there have been none, and we have had some wonderfull entries too :D .

Please, let us continue this trend.

edit: Thank you Thorne

Azeal
New Adventurer

Postby Azeal » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:26 pm

Azeal

A knight should have fun today as he can always train tomorrow

Eno
New Adventurer

Postby Eno » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Valdar offered me this entry form, and as I am his friend I thought I'd better make the effort.
Unlike my friend, I am not of knightly bearing, but will do my best to offer my suggestion.
Humility seems to be to be most important, for pride is a sin which would burden an honouable knight.
:?

Last edited by Eno on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eno Anser

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Gaelen Char ID: 52059

What attribute is most important to a knight, and why?
Anything from cleanliness to bravery to intelligence.

The most important attribute to a knight is that of comraderie. Without the friends and loved ones who support us we would quit the first time that we failed, instead of standing once more and fighting ever onward. It is not for ourselved that we live and die, but for those unable to protect themselves.

Minnie
New Adventurer

Postby Minnie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 pm

Sincerity, its what makes him/her courageous, honorable and all things knightly.

Minevera Broueaux 80457

Zyanna
New Adventurer

Postby Zyanna » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:56 pm

In a way this is a difficult question -- given that it asks for but one single attribute to be noted as most important for a Knight; however the answer almost presents itself.

A Knight is a follower, yet he is a leader -- he follows a higher cause and path, and leads those who cannot see it for themselves there. A Knight is someone whose armor shields only his flesh out of mortal necessity, to keep his physical being ongoing, but not for what lies beneath his flesh. This is because a Knight carries no doubt in his heart of what his duty is, and when there is no doubt, there is a pure heart; an untainted conduit -- there is an unwavering loyalty to the encompassing truth: To do what is right, no matter the odds or the favors.

So I would have to say, the most important attribute to a Knight is loyalty to what he holds within himself, a loyalty to what he serves and leads others to.

(As an aside, of course all the male pronouns are also interchangeable to female.)

My Character: 95318

Zyanna.

Wyf_Broadskull
Adventurer

Postby Wyf_Broadskull » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:00 am

The warriors heart is by far his most important aspect, for what good is a warrior that does not care why he kills, or who is harmed or helped by his actions? The warriors heart defines not only the warrior, but those that surround him as well, and the size and strength of that heart will count more than any action, when people choose to accept him as a leader or a friend.

Char#:88598

Cerdinak
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Cerdinak » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:53 am

For a Knight, the most important quality is perserverance.

While all of the previously listed qualities are fine ones, and part and parcel of being a Knight, the true challenge comes with what happens when things get rough and ugly.

Perservering through whatever happens to fullfil their obligations and duties to those they serve, good and bad.

Thats my position.
Cerdinak (Character 90666)

One of the last of the Shadow Kin
A small group of rogues who share the night and its secrets.

Azeal
New Adventurer

Postby Azeal » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:48 am

Walt

A knight should help himself so that he can help others

mojo the beer god
New Adventurer

Postby mojo the beer god » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:45 am

With thanks to all who have made great strides in arguing for the attribute that most defines a warrior, I offer the the following:

A warrior must be strong, for if a warrior be weak, who can he protect?

A warrior must be intelligent, for if a warrior is dull, how can he determine who to protect?

A warrior must have endurance, for if he tires, who can finish his work?

A warrior must be well-trained, for what good is hard work if it has faulty technique?

But I submit that all the above are without merit if a warrior has not something to protect, someone to rescue, a place to call home. Therefore, that which defines a warrior is...

the burning passion to die for something bigger and more important than himself. In other words, '...of all of these, the greatest is love.'

Mooj Derkber #70934

Haven Celes
Adventurer

Postby Haven Celes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:29 am

Temperance

It is the first thing that pops into my head when I think of a Knight, and what they stand for *smiles*

Last edited by Haven Celes on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't escape this time, they gave me a day pass.

~*~ May fortune always smile upon thee ~*~

Alfin
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Alfin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:44 am

I am honored!

The responses so far are amazing, you are making this difficult.

But I do want to remind you all,
Include you Character Number!
Without it your admission will be disqualified.

The deadline for entries is 12 midnight Saturday according to the time posted on your messaage.

Keep up the excellent work.

Doyle
Social Leech

Postby Doyle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:03 am

I speak not of knights but of all, because my belief is that there is no difference between the most noble of knights and the newest of Initiates when it comes to fighting our war against darkness.

The quality most needed is balance. We all need to be able to maintain ourselves upon the feilds of war, balance allows us to make the most of the skills we have. Someone with balance can judge when to push forward and when to retreat and this in turn leads them to work well as not just soldiers but leaders. Those that are balanced are just as adept at avoiding or deflecting a lethal blow as they are at inflicting one. Those that are balanced know when an enemey is beyond them and they fall back, not in sahme for failing to slay evil but with the pride of knowing that they will continue to fight in the name of the Gods. Balance is knowing your own strengths and weaknesses and whilst working to improve oneself not foolishly taking on more then you are capable. Balance is knowing when to call for aid and when to stand alone. for no man is an island but no man can truly grow if they forever lean upon others for support.

So with these thoughts in mind remember that no matter who you are and what your aspirations may be, survival is merely a question of balance. Be it in tempering your desire to kill all servents of darkness or focusing on an area of skill you have neglected,those that maintain the balance of all thing within their lives will be those that stand against the darkness in the final days of this war.

BlueMist
New Adventurer

Postby BlueMist » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:28 am

I would deem "Patience" as the most important attribute to a Knight as
as Honor, Courage, Loyalty , Strength, and even love of a battle or
a Realm all evolves from the patience of one to hone these and all other attributes.

BlueMist Character# 90806

ShadowHunter
Social Leech

Postby ShadowHunter » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:51 am

the ability to aknowledge when one is wrong. Because as the tale of the first Iron Knights states, were it not for the one man telling his fellow miners to desist, there would be no Knights at all

c# 13218
When your wife or girlfriend or husband or boyfriend is ticking you off, you don't go and delete yourself or whatnot. *shrug* - Ben

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”