Official Dark Grimoire Contest: Dungeon Design

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Official Dark Grimoire Contest: Dungeon Design

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:38 am

Dungeon Design CONTEST!!!

Make submissions to: [email protected]

say! always wanted your input immortalized in dg? sure! we all have! so howzabout a brand new contest where that's just your goal!

the build your own dungeon contest!

your entry should include (I know this is long, but be sure to read everything, because it will annoy us if you miss out in putting anything in. consequently, we will ignore your entry.):

1. PROPOSED NAME of dungeon
2. PROPOSED LOCATION [where in Valorn is your dungeon, and how do you get to it? cave? tower? mystical realm?]
3. PROPOSED CONCEPT [generally what is your dungeon about? this is a generalized summary]
4. IMPORTANT ROOM DESCRIPTIONS [the entryway, any other "particular" rooms you have in mind, and a sample or two of what most normal rooms are like]
5. ENEMIES IN YOUR DUNGEON [type of critters/enemies and what they drop]
6. THE BOSS AND HIS LOOT

Winner: The winning submission, and two runner ups, will be posted to this thread at the conclusion of the contest. The winner's prizes are described later in this post. The runner-ups just get fame and the somewhat nice knowledge they almost won. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HERE IS A SAMPLE, ALBEIT GOOFY, ENTRY:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NAME of dungeon:
PuPu: The Underground City

I was walking in the zombie poultry farm when the ground TOTALLY COLLAPSED by the farmhouse AND WHOA! PUPU CITY!

CONCEPT: PuPu City is a totally forgotten city overrun by flumengourds and rapwatangs. The giant gorban beast has PuPu City's famous treasure: the Famtam amulet! [note: we suggest being a lot more detailed than this example]

ROOM DESCRIPTIONS:
The entry room: You have fallen into a dark hole! Pupu City looms overhead, all scary and dark! You can go North, or swing on a vine to your East!
The boss room: This room seems to have once been a kitchen with a dilapidated oven in the northwest corner and a bowl and spoon toppled over on the ground, covered in dust... There is also a big pile of BONES in the middle of the room!
Sample room 1: PuPu City was obviously once a prosperous town! You're walking down a cobblestone street, to the left of you is an abandoned barber shop!
Sample room 2: [and so on, for a few samples]

ENEMIES IN YOUR DUNGEON:
flumengourds are a race of gigantic rat-like creatures. rapwatangs (who are like spiders and bats COMBINED. flumengourds drop chipped teeth. rapwatangs drop ripped batwings, or prized pristine wings.

THE BOSS AND HIS LOOT:
The Famtam amulet is another option to wearing the amulet of righteousness. It has the following stats: +1 light. +1 strength +1 Dex -1 Int. The giant beast lives in the kitchen because he likes rotten pudding. He is large, in charge, and green.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is what your entry should look like and contain. At the end of the contest, the entries will be judged by the gods Xia and Ben. If your dungeon is chosen as the WINNER of the contest, your dungeon will be created in DG and become and actual part of the game. You will also win an item to commemorate the event!

Guidelines: Keep the dungeon of small to moderate size. No attempting to rival the volcano maze at Kilican. Keep it at about the size of the sea dweller caves. Be as descriptive as possible so we have a lot to go on. The best idea that is the most realistic to implement in-game (read: not stupid or ridiculous) will win, so the more we understand your idea the more likely it will be closely considered.

Agreement: Any submission to this contest becomes the property of Grimoire Entertainment Inc. This means that if you win or even if you do not win we can use your ideas for your dungeon and monsters and loot in its entirety or in part in whatever fashion we wish. You are giving up all rights in your idea and allowing us full access.

Note: The sample description above is meant to entertain and instruct. It is not supposed to give you the idea that we are looking for GOOFY dungeons. We are looking for dungeons along the same lines as ones already in the game, mood wise.

Submissions go to: [email protected]
Include your character NAME and NUMBER.
QUESTIONS regarding this contest go in this thread.

Submissions will be taken through next weekend.

Good luck!
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:53 am

Submissions will be taken through the end of next weekend, Feb 11 and 12. A decision afterward may take another week.
Ben
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

De'Zarc Mai
New Adventurer

Postby De'Zarc Mai » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:54 am

When is the deadline? :?: *looks up* Nevermind :oops:

Isfirn Valkyrie
New Adventurer

updating

Postby Isfirn Valkyrie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:49 am

is it allowed to send updates to already done cocepts?

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:11 am

No. One entry per person. Make sure you are done before you submit. We have little interest in trying to figure out which is a person's actual submission. =)
Ben

Isfirn Valkyrie
New Adventurer

ah well

Postby Isfirn Valkyrie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 pm

I've already done my homework. :wink:

hope it didnt take the fast way into trashcan or spamfilter :lol:

ShadowHunter
Social Leech

Postby ShadowHunter » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:03 pm

ditto that, yahoos spam blocker tends to do dumb things like that (has sbc yahoo mail)
When your wife or girlfriend or husband or boyfriend is ticking you off, you don't go and delete yourself or whatnot. *shrug* - Ben

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:22 pm

If you are worried, post here saying that you sent us a submission and I'll be sure to look out for it. By the way, I've seen both of yours, so that's all good.

SylentOne
Experienced Adventurer

Postby SylentOne » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Xia wrote:If you are worried, post here saying that you sent us a submission and I'll be sure to look out for it. By the way, I've seen both of yours, so that's all good.

*bows deeply* Entry sent

Lavender Pikdame
Adventurer

Postby Lavender Pikdame » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:56 pm

I sent in an entry too.
"All writers of confessions, from Augustine on down, have always remained a little in love with their sins."-ANATOLE FRANCE

Edenn
Adventurer

Postby Edenn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Sent in my entry as well
Most helpful guild around: http://esd.dgplayers.net/phpbb
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes!
Mal: Well.. ya can't...

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:02 pm

I just sent one. Forgot to include my character name on it but I'm "[email protected]" and I figure I might be the only one with no name. Sorry.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:09 pm

haha DISQUALIFIED!!!! hahahahaha
Ben

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:16 pm

Lame. :cry:

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Never done anything like this before, but my attempt should be with you. :)

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:30 am

Should the end boss drop straight loot, or is it allowed to make a bigger quest?

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

De'Zarc Mai
New Adventurer

Postby De'Zarc Mai » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 am

Submitted mine! :evil:

Kyle Humbletone
New Adventurer

another entry

Postby Kyle Humbletone » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 am

sent mine in as well 8)

Morris
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Morris » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Entry Submitted

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:28 pm

superduck wrote:Should the end boss drop straight loot, or is it allowed to make a bigger quest?

I have no idea what you are talking about. That in itself might answer your question, since us understanding your entry would be a qualification for victory.

Needless to say, if somebody turns in some kind of dungeon that contains things that DG cannot even do. IE "You go in this room and then you have to fly to the top. All the time, Gonzos are shooting fireballs at you, which you have to dodge and then a trap falls. You have fifteen seconds to hit the Z key on your keyboard 50 times or you die." you will not win. =)
Ben

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”