Official Dark Grimoire Contest: Dungeon Design

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Corwin Skyborn
Social Leech

Postby Corwin Skyborn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:10 am

I have heard a few tidbits about various persons entries. If I finished dead last then i'm married to Balthazar!
Trying to make sense of gods and goddesses has led many men to ruin. I suggest you avoid it from now on.
-Ben-

De'Zarc Mai
New Adventurer

Postby De'Zarc Mai » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:02 am

Congratulations Islander!!!!! :D

Cant wait to explore it!! :D

Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hentez » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:19 am

Like Islander needs anything else to show off, he can wait a year :D

hehe, Congrats buddy!
:D

Lucy
New Adventurer

Postby Lucy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:48 am

Congratulations Islander!
Lucy - 42832
Valorie - 43737
Alaina Moonstone - 47099

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:22 am

Connngratulations!

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Yay! Well done Islander. :)

Abhorr Deathkisse
New Adventurer

Postby Abhorr Deathkisse » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:37 pm

Appearantly Islander's entry was so much greater than the rest of ours that there were no runners up! Now THAT is some good dungeon designing. :D

Hayate
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hayate » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:59 pm

Congrats Islander :D

dagobert
Experienced Adventurer

Postby dagobert » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:02 pm

Congratulations!!
Image Image
The only way for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:14 pm

Congrats Islander :D

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Islander
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Islander » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Thank you all **bows**

Xia
Wee Little Godling

Postby Xia » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:43 am

You deserve all the accolades! A great entry.

Xanthias
I talk WAY too much

Postby Xanthias » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:19 am

Out of curiosity, were the "runner-ups" going to be posted?

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:47 pm

Ben wrote:There really aren't any numbered runner-ups, but there are some really good ones that didn't win because of something. *shrug* We haven't decided if we will post the winning entries yet. we probably will, though, since the true winner's won't even be built for a while. We weren't going to post it before, since we figured it would be build within a week or so of the announcement.

^^

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Since everybody kinda seems to want to know. And here is some constructive criticism, Simon style, for the next time you enter... because this contest was cool and we will definately do it again. ;) (All the dungeons listed here are very good, but I'm only going to list why exactly they didn't win... which should help the entries next time, I would think. ;) So don't take the negative comments as meaning that I didn't like these... if I didn't like them, they wouldn't have been runners ups or honorable mentions.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "runner-ups" (the ones in final contention for the win) in no particular order at all, would be:

SylentOne
-dungeon: A very cool trip behind a waterfall.
-didn't win because: Too long-winded. =) The art of the worldbuilder requires interesting descriptions balanced with making them a length that people will actually stop to read.

Abhorr
-dungeon: A pirate ship with a sea monster at the end.
-didn't win because: This is a hard one to describe. Basically didn't win because it wasn't quite as good as Islander's. Yeah, seriously. ;) Also, I have this weird disposition to dislike anything that is a pirate ship. =( Which is just bad luck since this happened to be a pirate ship.

Mylor
-dungeon: A magical amusement park... also behind a waterfall. Carnies!!!
-didn't win because: Too imaginitive, complicated, and beyond the scope of typical worldbuilding. Seems silly at first, but really makes sense when you think about it, because dungeons must be actually buildable to be good. This level of complication will only be shown when Balthazar's fortress is available for storming, NOT for just a normal dungeon on there. (It will take me as long to make Balthazar's fortress as it takes to make most of Ethucan, most likely.) If we made normal dungeons this complicated and long, we would quickly burn out. =) Still, so interesting it had to be in the finalists.

Topaz (SORRY I FORGOT THIS ONE WHEN I FIRST POSTED!!! =\)
-dungeon: An awesome trip through a cliff dwelling full of ghosties of warriors and such.
-didn't win because: This is another one that just was "not quite as good as Islander's entry." (See Abhorr post.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And some additional "Honorable Mentions," too (in no particular order again):

Hayate
-dungeon: A N'rolav tomb for fallen adventurers.
-didn't win because: Very good construction, but its problem was that it was very similar to things already found in the game. Would give a person that "haven't I been here before?" feeling as they went through.

Maji
-dungeon: A village full of crazed centaurs.
-didn't win because: This entry disturbed one of the worldbuilders because of the haphazard slaughtering of an entire village of folks. =) Yeah, there are places like that elsewhere in the game already, but this was done in a way that would make anybody who played this dungeon feel a bit "evil." Characters in DG are supposed to be basically good. One would not feel heroic after finishing this dungeon. Besides that fatal error, this was a very strong entry.

Groloth
-dungeon: A quest through a magical demon realm on a question to upgrade the Ultimate Weapon.
-didn't win because: Was lacking in detail and interesting exposition. (Basically the opposite of Sylent.) Also, I don't know where people are getting this idea that the UW of Power is going to ever be back in the game, so this dungeon was made impossible by the UW's inclusion in the concept.

Fleur
-dungeon: Secret passages under the High King's castle.
-didn't win because: Hard to get into specifics with this one. I guess the concept of giant frogs just didn't appeal to me. =) This was a decent entry, though, and she shouldn't change a lot in style if Fleur enters in the next contest. Just no giant frogs. =\ Especially with such a goofy name. =) As I said, it is hard to go into specifics... but basically this did not win or get to be a finalist because it did not get me to go "oooo!" Sometimes these things come down to that.

We had a lot of entries. Every single one was good, imaginitive, amusing, or some combination of the three. =)
Last edited by Ben on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:51 pm

Congratulations runner ups and honourable mentions! :)

Abhorr Deathkisse
New Adventurer

Postby Abhorr Deathkisse » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 pm

Congrats everybody who made the list!!! Awesome job! *applauds*

And curse my love of pirates... :P

Corwin Skyborn
Social Leech

Postby Corwin Skyborn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:50 pm

So....no genocide, pirates, or frogs.....ok..... Will it be acceptable for us to re work our entries... and adapt them to be better, then submit them next time? I know mine was a bit rushed and small....I was also limited to writing late at night which meant lesser depth & quality...and of course after i submitted I thought of 20 ways i could have done better....
Trying to make sense of gods and goddesses has led many men to ruin. I suggest you avoid it from now on.

-Ben-

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:58 pm

If you did that, I would be substantially unimpressed with your imagination and work ethic. =) Besides, like I said, yours came in dead last, Corwin. Best to just start over.

:lol:
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Hayate
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hayate » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:01 am

Thanks for the tips. I will try take them into account for next time and produce something even better.

Well done to all again... It was a really exciting contest and to know I did as well as some who have been here for a long time is very reassuring :D

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”