10,000,000 ItemID Contest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
jimmykitten
Veteran

Postby jimmykitten » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:53 am

it was broadcasted in game.

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:54 am

GreenDaemon wrote:Ummm... when did he say that? Wouldn't have been very fair, since I certainly never saw him say it. Here or in game. (And it should have been done in both.)

I was about to ask the same
Once, I typed 'teh' to be ironic. But, I screwed up typing and it came out 'the'

# 42308

GreenDaemon
Experienced Adventurer

Postby GreenDaemon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:56 am

Certainly wasn't while I was around. All I saw was him counting down with some of the item numbers.

Don't see why it would've been an issue, or how he could have any say in a contest being done by Ixon, but ah well. Doesn't really matter now.

][ Player's name = Azure ][

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 am

Ben definately did say Mass buying was against the rules, at least twice I think.

He also smited Thandar for doing so, I believe.. unless Thandar was saying something on guild chat that deserved a smite.

Ben didnt demand Ixon declare Oat the winner.. He just suggested it might be nice if he gave Oat his prizes.

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:05 pm

Fon wrote:
GreenDaemon wrote:Ummm... when did he say that? Wouldn't have been very fair, since I certainly never saw him say it. Here or in game. (And it should have been done in both.)

I was about to ask the same

Since when did I have to be fair? What version of Valorn have you all been living in? :twisted:

From the comment above about "this is a contest run by Ixon!" I guess they also missed my broadcast about how Ixon does not run this universe. He was mistaken to suggest people create tons of items, make a mess of things, and slow down the game. I simply announced that the winner must be somebody who was playing the game normally... and from that point on, I didn't notice any extreme buying sprees, so I didn't feel the need to announce again. If somebody new had started up, I would have mentioned it again.

It ended up being found by somebody playing normally, anyway, so this is all a non-issue.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ixon Fier
Veteran

Postby Ixon Fier » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:37 pm

I was indeed mistaken. Besides, he who controls the smite button makes the rules. :)
"Ixon collects pretty much for the joy of collecting. He's fairly straight up for a scoundrel, double dealing, profiteering rogue. ;)" - Hacken

GreenDaemon
Experienced Adventurer

Postby GreenDaemon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:16 pm

It would have been very misguided and unfair though (whether you actually care if it was or not, doesn't change the fact), in the sense that people thought it was perfectly valid.. and those that logged on after those particular broadcasts would never have had a clue, might've obtained the item, and then been disqualified for what was supposed to be fine, if not encouraged.

::Shrugs:: All I'm saying, is it should've been posted here as well.

I never said Ixon runs the universe. I tend to believe quite the opposite, as a matter of fact. :P But it was his contest, so as far as anyone would have thought, he was making the rules, and it really didn't seem at the time like anything he said violated the rules.

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:52 pm

Why do you need it to put it in the museum anyways?

You certainly don't have Grom's Shield and Sword, nor JKD's helm, nor a good lot of other items in that museum.
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Ixon Fier
Veteran

Postby Ixon Fier » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:26 pm

Because they are not able to be dropped?

I try to gather as many of the things that are droppable so that they do not become lost. *shrugs* Such as a certain sword Skurria still has.
"Ixon collects pretty much for the joy of collecting. He's fairly straight up for a scoundrel, double dealing, profiteering rogue. ;)" - Hacken

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:48 pm

How is it lost if you know exactly who still has it =)

"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 pm

Cerberus wrote:How is it lost if you know exactly who still has it =)

Not lost as in 'we don't know where it is,' lost as in 'lost forever to the people of Trinald.'

She left and it is buried with her. That is what Ix guards against with the mueum - that and accidental destruction.

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:58 pm

Yes, but if all that crap just sits in his bank it's not really useful to the people of Trinald, except to look at.

Ixon

Postby Ixon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:33 am

How does a useless scroll help Trinald anyhow? I'm fairly certain the museum was the only one interested in number ten million.

GreenDaemon
Experienced Adventurer

Postby GreenDaemon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 am

If that's the view on it, you can say that museums offline are useless too.. they're not helping anyone, except as things to look at. Take it you're not a museum fan, Cerb. ;)

Personally, I don't know why some people are negative about the museum. I think it's an awesome idea and have seen Ixon shell out tons of plat for things most people would consider useless.. like a scroll that simply has a cool set of numbers, for a strange instance. :roll: What is so wrong with that? It's pretty cool, in my eyes, that someone is willing to put all of that effort into it and are doing something they enjoy and TRYING to make something for others to enjoy as well.

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 am

No, I'm certainly not negative about the museum. I'm just saying that if the goal is to save things for the good of Trinald, maybe a pile of mercenary swords would be nicer to pass around guilds (his own guild even) than sit in a bank.

Ixon likes having cool stuff. I can't fault him for that. But, there are a lot of people that run around the game who have never had a unique item, title, quest, or event.

The value in these things is that they're rare and/or unique, far more than however useful they can be in game. Some players would love to have a Mercenary Sword just because it is something you don't see on every Sally Sunshine and Paulus Ringbottom.

Ixon has a good bunch of them, no? And, he apparently only values them at 75 P. He also got smited quite a few times for underpaying newbies for them who didn't realize that would probably be their only chance at a rare item. I reckon they'd be worth a good deal more than 75 P to any player who's been here a few months (years) and not had the opportunity for such an item.

His museum is a great idea for the community. However, his collecting cannot be but for himself.

Congratulations to those who through luck, longevity, or perchance even true merit of some form get these things that are so valued. Then, may they thank Ixon for buying up everything else so their rare gem is worth all the more. :wink:

Fleur
Veteran

Postby Fleur » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:27 am

Ixon does let other people from the guild use items. *shrugs* Not the ones that other people have donated to the museum, as that is not his place, but the ones he has bought himself - yes. He used to let other people have them but after a series of people a) leaving the game without giving them back, b) accidentally destroying them or c) pretending to lose them and keeping them stashed in their bank for months on end, he made the decision to keep it guild only. The nature of Twenty Two is such that we are close enough to be able to share rares without fear of permanent loss of an item.

As for the mercenary swords and their 75 plat value, these are not unique items. That quest has been run at least twice, and probably will be run again. Hence the lower (yet still high, for what they are) value on these weapons.

Yes, the museum started because Ix loves to collect. No, of course I'm not saying that it is 100% altruistic - very few actions actually are. He takes enormous pleasure in owning or care-taking unusual or rare items, but also equal pleasure in safe-guarding the history attached to them. Yes, he has been smitten before for the actions you described, but that was before he married me and now he wouldn't dare do such a thing. The wrath of gods and fear of the wrath of his wife have taught him a valuable lesson. :wink:

As Danica said, the value of an item is not determined by its material or its purchase cost. It is determined by its place in history. An almost worthless scroll to us is -was - worth the equivalent of 2500 plat. If it is greedy to wish to possess that in order to mark it with a place and description in this museum, then I too am guilty of that particular sin.

Of course we love collecting (I include myself in that, and feel qualified to write this because many months with Ix have taught me much about both the rares business and the history of Trinald) and enjoy possessing items that we view as special for whatever reason. I make no apology for it. But the reason we do view these items as so special, and the reason Ix devotes time, plat and energy in purchasing for and referencing the museum, is because we care deeply about Trinald, its past, and preserving that for the future. :)

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:30 am

Aww.

Couples that obsess together, stay together.

Thandar_RR
New Adventurer

Postby Thandar_RR » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:26 am

He aso smited Thandar for doing so, I believe.. unless Thandar was saying something on guild chat that deserved a smite.

Thandar never has and never plans to be "smited" by the gods, I simply switched to an alt in a farming location when Ben said mass buying was agianst the rules.

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:35 am

It definately said

"Ben strikes lightning down on Thandar"

Or something to that effect in chat, Thandar.. So even if you werent controlling Thandar at the time of smiting, I think you were! :wink:

Unless someone had a very similar name and I got confused, or something.

Ixon Fier
Veteran

Postby Ixon Fier » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:54 pm

Cerberus wrote:stay together.

Almost a year. *smiles*

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”