ESD's valorn general knowledge challenge

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

ESD's valorn general knowledge challenge

Postby thor darkwolfe » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:04 am

lol ok first question is who are the ESD ???

we are the enlightened sponsors of destiny guild, with edenn as the leader

lol why are we doing this and what is it

mainly as a way to say thank to the people that have made valorn the land to be, and also as a tribute to edenn who mentored me thru the game, supported me, guided me and befriended me....poor edenn
and a special thanks to to the RoK guild led by JKD whose support and info was invaluable in helping me hit the top
and a special thanks to the OON and Jimmy Kitten whose orginal contest gave us the inspiration for this one lol and no its in no way competing with the OON contest, lol the OON contest is way beyond our ability to match lol

primary the layout is this

prizes consist of cash ...plat...omg...yes...plat....so far the kitty is 1500 plat and rising, I am bankrolling this so lol its depending on how much i can farm... even if I have to sell my armour
PLUS, i am celebrating my birthday too, and my meteoric rise to the top, lol so I am putting up a 1000 plat ( 10 prizes of 100 plat ) random giveaway ( to win, you need to be there )

the contest is strictly IC based so all answers are found in valorn
its level based so we have questions based around peoples levels,
hence a level 50 can't enter the level 1-5 section

generally the prizes are for fun... so its 3 rd place is 20 plat, 2 nd is 30 plat and first place is 50 plat
so if 3 people enter for each level they all win a prize .... if 1 person only enters a level section, then they stand to win the 100 plat in total

now because I am so insane, and allowing for time zones, on the day, it will be run at 3 seperate times
so 3 chances to win

lol more details will follow but remember this is just for fun lol and to celebrate a few things

Corwin Skyborn
Social Leech

Postby Corwin Skyborn » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:08 am

Is the contest celebrating Valorn or Thor? Hehe as long as you have plats to give away i'll celebrate anything right along with everyone else.

thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

Postby thor darkwolfe » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:09 am

lol celebrate the presence of thor in valorn lol

its a excuse to celebrate but actually the main reason for this contest, is to increase peoples basic knowledge of valorn

its a case of I couldn't have leveled up like i have, without a lot of inner knowledge of valorn, a lot of strategy and around 10-12 hours a day training

I am working the contest prize money and stuff out so that nobody leaves without getting something
however, lol all the credit for this contest, and the prize money and all the fun is going to edenn, the RoK and the ESD, ben and cory for DG, and all the admin staff

its kinda my way of saying thank you very much for the fun i am having
and as a few people can already admit, my generousity is no small thing, lol I celebrated my first blue crystal with a 100 plat giveway and the same with another achievement, and today was a WP giveaway lol

Ben
Lead Worldbuilder

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:40 pm

You sure do lol a lot. =\ Kinda like The Joker.
Ben
Grimoire Entertainment Inc.
Click HERE to contact Ben or another Admin. Actually, don't contact Ben, he's somewhat pretty much retired.

Ixon Fier
Veteran

Postby Ixon Fier » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:09 pm

Ah good. Was hoping I wasn't the only one to notice. :)
"Ixon collects pretty much for the joy of collecting. He's fairly straight up for a scoundrel, double dealing, profiteering rogue. ;)" - Hacken

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:36 am

Thor runs at a whopping 4LPS (lol's per sentance)! :lol:

thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

Postby thor darkwolfe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:48 am

lol, wot ya mean i lol a lot lol

lol, i never actually noticed lol

but in R/L i have a big sense of humour lol

anyway as a update, I am increasing the price pool further as I am managing to farm better than i hoped and today i killed 550 monsters in one hour lol

the contest is up to everybody to help out with, and be involved in lol
I am flat out leveling, sorting out the ESD forums, helping in the inn, and farming for donations for newbies lol
and the offer is open to any members and guilds that wanna be involved, no strings attached, lol
about the end of sept- 2nd of oct is the time i am looking at for the contest
I am in nz so our time is roughly gmt +12 hours or in english your saturday is my sunday
and I am looking at the us saturday for it, and running it at 4 hour shifts starting at 6 am my time

I am also looking at putting in a armour/ weapon prize pool for the best profession contest winner, lol this simply means that the winner gets the best armour/weapon plat can buy, and each profession will get acknowledged

so there will be the contest sections

levels 1-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15, 20, 20-30, 40 to 40, 40-55
the winner is decided in each section by most right answers

the professions winner is decided by a random draw from the best profession members in each class

the random prizes will be decided by random number, the numbers for the random number will be provided by the members present on the day
like i will ask for a number from all the members present between one and ten, so say i get, 2,5,8,3,9... that equals 27... if 12 people are present, than 2 and 7 become 9... the 9th person going left to right from the top, is than a winner

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 am

YEah I'd noticed the lol as well I think everyone has - personaly I find it a little bit anoying when reading a post - use a smilie instead the brain doesn't try and interpret it as something usefull :wink:

jimmykitten
Veteran

Postby jimmykitten » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:31 am

how would a little animated yellow face everywhere be LESS annoying? your annoyingometer must be whack'd.

handy annoyingometer guide:

:lol: > lol

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:03 am

*whispers to jimmy* dont tell him that! people will get motion sickness! :wink:
Once, I typed 'teh' to be ironic. But, I screwed up typing and it came out 'the'

# 42308

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:34 am

Might just be me jimmy, but I tend not to take in the smilies as something that needs interpreted whereas letters and words your brain trys to interpret them and make sense of them.
though this ones doesn't move about and conveys the same - I'm happy as the other one. :D

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:57 am

thor darkwolfe wrote:lol lol lol

lol lol

lol

lol

lol
lol
lol
lol

there's all the lol's in the latest post :P

Once, I typed 'teh' to be ironic. But, I screwed up typing and it came out 'the'

# 42308

Corwin Skyborn
Social Leech

Postby Corwin Skyborn » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:26 pm

lol

thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

Postby thor darkwolfe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:59 pm

make ya a deal thomas, lol

for every 100 plat you get in support of the general knowledge contest, I will write and say * lol * one less time in the forums and in game lol

lol so theres a offer you can either take up lol or give up lol

besides lol if you work out the amount of hours i have put into the contest and leveling up, you would soon realise why i lol so insanely lol

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:08 pm

So where and when can we get information about this contest, Thor? Unless it's the "count Thor's LOL" contest. :)

Topaz

thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

Postby thor darkwolfe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:38 pm

I will be posting more as soon as I finish leveling this char to level 55

I am currently about 10% off level 52 and getting a level a day ( personal challenge )

the people behind this are the ESD ( enlightened sponsors of destiny ) run by edenn
I am personally bankrolling this contest as a way of encouraging people to learn about valorn as not just a rpg game, but a world of interaction etc
the venues at this stage are either the dundee inn as it have a more relazed and friendly feel ..or the glass tavern direct south of dundee

the rules are simple, all questions are strictly IC and game based and will be taken from within the game itself, so people that learn about the game stand a better chance of winning

there are judges.... lol everybody is a judge... they decide if the answer is correct, not me
any sponsors of the contest that want to be involved, decide what they are giving towards the contest, and they hold on to it, not me, lol
at this stage, there is no nobility on offer as I feel personally that only ben and cory can award that, but if a contest sponsor or ben or cory see fit to award nobility to any member or participant, thats awesome

the contest will be run at 3 seperate times during the day ( most likely the 2 nd oct nz time/ 1st of oct us time ), that way more people get the chance to join in

I don't have a sign up list for people to participate, lol I will post the place and the times and if people are there, they are there

the questions will based around places, stats, armour, weapons, creature names and places, creature exp etc
the profession questions will be profession based like for clerics, name the blessings of the orange crystal, and for rogues, where is the location that sells the left handed boarding axe lol

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:49 am

thor darkwolfe wrote:the questions will based around places, stats, armour, weapons, creature names and places, creature exp etc
the profession questions will be profession based like for clerics, name the blessings of the orange crystal, and for rogues, where is the location that sells the left handed boarding axe lol

and thats where having been 2 proffesions for a while pays off :wink:

# 42308

thor darkwolfe
New Adventurer

Postby thor darkwolfe » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:30 am

lol give that man a 1000 plat lol

yeah the way I looked at the contest, is the info the higher levels share in the contest, will help the lower levels learn more about the game and how it works and ideas of areas to train in etc

lol i started from stratch less than 50 days ago, and now am waiting to train to level 52.. so lol I was walking blind a lot, tho edenn mentored me well, lol
so i got the idea for the contest from those sources

the OON contest, where skills and abilities were varied, and each person used their skills to compete, and so I realised adding a profession based section will teach people more about the different professions

the guilds, ( RoK played a big part in this ) each guild have different types of natures in valorn, and so i realised that using the names of the guild in questions would help people find out more about the guilds, who they are and what they are about, and give the guilds more members lol

ben, cory, xia, julia, darren, lol the coolest admin team around ( and no i am not sucking up ) lol who are the admin team and what are their names ???... this helps people learn about the developers of the game and more importantly what god is what... like ben and cory are the gods of broadcasts, worldbuilding, and grey hairs from players like male clerics lol

the constables and mentors, lol what are they ??? ( apart from people with near unlimited patience ), and this will help people learn more about the mentors and constables lol, and hopefully cut down the work load, and raise the level of respect in valorn somewhat lol

basically the contest is to celebrate my successes, the forming of the esd guild, the DG game, and to give cory, ben, the mentors and constables, the guilds a big boost with feedback, info and support, as people will get a better idea about valorn and what they want in valorn, and will post in the forum with clearer and more balanced understanding and suggestions

now one thing i need to address is cheating in the contest ( giving answers to contestants via PM )... lol i don't care if people do it, cos i can't stop it, and the answer is given, people see the answer and learn
hence I aim to make sure that nobody gets left out from a prize
the contest is for fun, lol and cos i am insane...( being a male cleric does that to people )

Fon
Veteran

Postby Fon » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:16 am

being a male cleric does that to people

so um, am I still insane? :P

# 42308

Korrith
Social Leech

Postby Korrith » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:37 am

As far as constables go, I dont think your supposed to talk about who they actually are in game, none of the constables I've seen in game actually roleplay being a constable. Its an OOC thing to them.

Unless you mean the uber cool Dundee constable who cut Sam Fraydyes head off...

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”