(POLL) Operation: Repair Nexus! (Destination Decider!)

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.

To which town/city would you like the first repaired pillar to be linked?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Dundee
7%
Milltown
No votes
Branishor
40%
The Hollows
53%

Total votes: 15

Dabria
Social Leech

(POLL) Operation: Repair Nexus! (Destination Decider!)

Postby Dabria » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:59 pm

I know we have all had several schools of thought on this, but given recent discoveries, and various conversations that have been happening, I thought it would be a good idea to decide once and for all on a pillar destination, via a vote.

"The Hollows" will also be included in this poll, as it has been implied that a new location is also possible. There are some who believe it would be nice to be able to get there more easily, as well as, should anything happen, enable a first line of defence to be established quickly. (Think like how the raids on Killican Roads used to be. We enchanters could get their quickly with the right spell learned, and hold the line until others came to the battle.)

So, for the sake of clarity (and I really do not mean to step on toes or "take over", just simply keep things moving) I will leave this here for you all to have your say and to vote. (There is no reason to specify why you chose to vote how you do.) We do however need this cut & dried before conduit names can be be given to Modus Disciplina Valyna.

Thank you to everyone for putting up with me - you must be sick of the sight of my signature by now!

D. Kamali

((OOC: I shall leave this poll open for one week, save dragging things out endlessly!))
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Zanaan
Veteran

Re: (POLL) Operation: Repair Nexus! (Destination Decider!)

Postby Zanaan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:48 pm

Dundee at ZF's doorstep. We'll even throw in a 5p discount for all shoppers arriving from the nexus*.

*please note that all persons arriving from the nexus will be charged an additional surcharge of 5p after listed discount for subsequent increased dust maintenance on the grounds.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Zanaan wrote:Dundee at ZF's doorstep. We'll even throw in a 5p discount for all shoppers arriving from the nexus*.

*please note that all persons arriving from the nexus will be charged an additional surcharge of 5p after listed discount for subsequent increased dust maintenance on the grounds.

Only bloody you ... :lol:
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:43 pm

I am changing my vote.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:10 am

Blythe wrote:I am changing my vote.

I mean if only Zanaan would have made this generous offer earlier, the job would have been a good'un! :wink:
~Richard~

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:58 am

The arguments for Branishor are straightforward:

Only enchanters under about level 45 are really affected by this. Nobody but enchanters can use the pillars, and those who are over 45 can pillar down elsewhere and walk to Branishor or the Hallows, or Milltown or Dundee, in about a dozen steps.

In peace, these young enchanters will want to go to Branishor for healing, and to buy equipment.We have no pillar that comes in next to a temple, and the equipment these is mostly to be used by middle levels. Some of the stuff in the Hollows needs levels in the 50s.

In war, Branishor is vital to our defense. It contains the Temple. None of the existing pillars leads to a healer. Loss of it breaks east from west, and makes it hard to get people anywhere further east. And enemies in Bransishor mean the tunnel system is exposed. None of this is true of the Hollows.

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:06 am

This is rather a silly "poll". There has already been discussion of this, after arguments for every choice, in the first meeting at Ryndall. I think more people were there than have voted here, and I believe that every voice was for Branishor. It is also unusual for a poll to be given limited time, and be led only with arguments for what the poll creator wants.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 pm

(As Falx where IC replies may apply. This will be a mix of IC OOC)

I believe you are making some assumptions that have since been outdated Telmacha, so please consider my personal thoughts below. These reflect only my own views, just to make it clear I'm not speaking for anyone but myself.

Telmacha wrote:This is rather a silly "poll".

This poll intends to gauge interest on pillars to fix, and also establish an acceptable sequence to do so. Valyna has since confirmed during her interactions after the big meetings that the Coruscating Stones still retain power. So we will be able to fix more than 1 pillar!
Tests using enchanters as power sources (yes, it hurts a bit) confirmed that all 3 cracked pillars are still viable to be repaired. It also showed no indication that they retained their previous links to Branishor, Dundee or Milltown. This is relevant because when it was first decided to go with Branishor first, we were working on these assumption, now disproved:
- Our choice is only between Branishor, Dundee or Milltown (it is not, any location within Valorn can be chosen. Places separated by big bodies of water like Killican and Ethucan are out of the question though)
- We will struggle enough to cast the spell even once, so the choice of first is really important (we won't, the stones can be used at least 2 times to power shards. Fingers crossed for even 3 times! Mathematically speaking they went from weight 43 to 34, so going from a -9 weight per use we could actually try to cast the spell 4 times!)

Telmacha wrote:The arguments for Branishor are straightforward:

Telmacha wrote:and be led only with arguments for what the poll creator wants.

Like you said yourself: Arguments for Branishor have been made in the past. I don't think arguments for the Hollows had been posted on the forum yet. The summary for this poll seems quite clear and yes, it does go into greater length where the new option is concerned, because it is new.

Telmacha wrote:Only enchanters under about level 45 are really affected by this. Nobody but enchanters can use the pillars, and those who are over 45 can pillar down elsewhere and walk to Branishor or the Hallows, or Milltown or Dundee, in about a dozen steps.

I take it this is your own personal experience? I'm level 67 and use the pillars daily. While having portals is great, their cost is quite prohibitive for my taste when there is a free class perk available. As many pillars as we can fix, means more free choices for all enchanters to walk to, and shorter walks too! Yes, I'm guilty of the good old jab that enchanters are lazy :D

Telmacha wrote:In peace, these young enchanters will want to go to Branishor for healing, and to buy equipment.We have no pillar that comes in next to a temple, and the equipment these is mostly to be used by middle levels. Some of the stuff in the Hollows needs levels in the 50s.

If an enchanter is using a pillar to seek a healer and chooses to go to Branishor, said enchanter should actually be pushing for a pillar that goes straight into the entrance to the Reborn Zone. I mean, Strom is right there by a cracked life monument. The Ryndall-Milltown hop lands them close to Mira too. Fixing the Dundee pillar would make them closer to Virgil.
There's actually no enchanter gear in the Hollows that I could find, no matter the level. There is, however, a huge selection of shirts that have no level requirement, candles, string pouches, and Hollowshine. In peace, doesn't one look for stuff to flesh out their RP interactions?
As for Branishor's enchanter gear, all you get there you can get cheaper in Caernivale, so I don't really see how this argument is that straightforward. I concede it may be something I'm missing.

Telmacha wrote:In war, Branishor is vital to our defense. It contains the Temple. None of the existing pillars leads to a healer. Loss of it breaks east from west, and makes it hard to get people anywhere further east. And enemies in Bransishor mean the tunnel system is exposed. None of this is true of the Hollows.

True. I'd go as far as saying that every settlement in Valorn is vital to our defense, since there are so few of them. We did have a raging dark fire right outside Branishor preventing travel further East for years, and somehow we lived through it? Still, I'd totally put Branishor and the Hollows as two great destinations for the first 2 pillars we fix. More so if we only get to fix 2 pillars.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 pm

Why thank you, Falx. I make no assumptions; I observe that this is a most unusual poll, and deserves limited credence. You are quite correct that there is no way to vote for a fifth option, and that is another weakness.

Are my comments on travel based on my own observations?

Why, yes.

I'm a rogue; my quickest way to travel to Altitan, or to the Hollows, from Dundee is to take the tunnels to Branishor or Fartown and walk north. I am familiar with both journeys; Altitan since I trained in those mountains; the Hollows since they were resettled.

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:10 pm

Now I don't see what all the bickering is about. I think it's a fine idea to figure out ahead of time the best course of action ahead of time so that we can then find candidates according to the location we chose. And as has been stated, the parameters have changed, so thus should our decision. It is not simply about putting things as it were, but now a matter of putting things where it would be most advantageous.

I may jest about making the first attachment to a place of personal benefit, but the discussion itself does need to be had, and, in as timely a manner as possible so that we can move this forward while still tenable. Things tend to move slow in the lands, best to take advantage of an opportunity to fix things while you can, elsewise you may not get the opportunity again for some turns to come... or even summers. Furthermore with the shards themselves in people's possessions, the longer we hold on to them, the larger the chance something may happen with whatever powers may covet the shards.
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:57 pm

A poll seems the most fair option. As Zanaan stated it seems the more quickly his matter attended to the better. Minds can change, especially with new information. Those who had conflicts of time with the original meeting now have a chance to vote. This format also allows for healthy debate about locations. Should we desire it.

I find the prospect of the Hallows and Zanaan's fascinating due to the research aspect of it all. Can we create a portal to wherever we wish? What implications does that bring in times not as peaceful as these current ones? I also feel that after the burning of Fartown we are obligated to assure as many quick response routes to our most remote populace.

Overall, I think it folly to trust mages who siphon godly power. But Balthazar still haunts me. If we are to continue with this experiment, my vote is in the Hallows.

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:57 am

Viviyana wrote:
I find the prospect of the Hallows and Zanaan's fascinating due to the research aspect of it all. Can we create a portal to wherever we wish? What implications does that bring in times not as peaceful as these current ones? I also feel that after the burning of Fartown we are obligated to assure as many quick response routes to our most remote populace.

This will be answered in about two turns time, to the best of my ability. We have updates to give, so we are busy working on a bulletin even as I write this!
~Richard~

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:14 am

So, now that it is close, Dabria wants to end it early?

After all, how can a cake exist without suitable icing?

(A poll, perhaps, but not this poll. Conducted neutrally, with widespread notification, by someone of neither side.)

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:22 am

*Edit, deleted - Bris*
Last edited by Brisingr Blaze on Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:25 am

Telmacha wrote:So, now that it is close, Dabria wants to end it early?

After all, how can a cake exist without suitable icing?

(A poll, perhaps, but not this poll. Conducted neutrally, with widespread notification, by someone of neither side.)

No. What I said was I would explain as best I can in two turns time. I said nothing about closing the ballot early. Please do not twist my words.

Respectfully
-D. Kamali the Forthright
~Richard~

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:41 am

(( Thanks Dabs, don't feel rushed on my account, or any accounts. This is universally recognized as the most stressful week of the year and we can always seek answers in game or wait!!!

Telmacha, I've always had a high level of respect for you and you are a valuable member of our community. Also remember that it is a stressful time of year. I've been in the same DG spiral you seem to be in. I think we all have from time to time. It sucks. I'm always up for some low-key-silly-simple-event-free rp and have always enjoyed your people. I'll be around more after this week :) ))

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:09 am

I thank Dabria for her clarification, I genuinely misunderstood her.

Also, any valid poll should be conducted by the gods, in game. There are people who don't use or like the Forum who are steadfast players, and I have just had a reminder why; I happen to be on a phone at the moment, and it took half a dozen failures to log in.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:46 pm

(( I feel admin has used the forums for polls before and it is the official supplemental forum for the game. This also appears a player driven event which is always something we pushed for in the past - to not just be some spectators in some play but to actually drive storyline.

Please remember we are all just humans and those taking the time and initiative to pull this off are giving up rp time and rl time to try and create a more enriching environment for the other players and the game. (As are admin that may or may not also be humans, they'll have to vouch for themselves there) Is it going to be perfect? No. But it can be fun and give our characters growth. Injecting constant toxicity into it and piling stress on those taking the initiative to do stuff will not help anything. It is okay to chose to not engage in a storyline you are not enjoying. Suggestions, IC healthy debate, conversation, etc is good. Going after other players for their methods and role in the storyline is not. I did not return to this community to watch it be ripped to *shreds* ))

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”