Show me Your Dundee Inn

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
ZarockNight
Veteran

Show me Your Dundee Inn

Postby ZarockNight » Fri May 21, 2021 10:26 pm

I love seeing how different people express the same idea in different ways.

So i want to see how you imagine the Dundee Inn. How does it make you feel, what do you like about, how do you imagine it from the description..

Use any medium you wish

All entries are due

June 21st

Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Re: Show me Your Dundee Inn

Postby Olivia Pratt » Sat May 29, 2021 5:15 pm

When I think of the Dundee Inn, I picture the outside first. Handmade bricks, worn with age and bleached from the light of Sunrifter over many years. A faded wooden sign hanging near the door with hand carved lettering that says Dundee Inn. The door itself is heavily reinforced wood. There are two small windows set near the door.

I enter the Dundee Inn. The first thing I notice are the smells. Fermenting yeast from ale, cooking meat, wood polish, beeswax, and some sort of soap for cleaning. The smells are comforting, like coming home. Overhead, large wooden beams make up the rafters and the smooth white walls give the room a feeling of being bigger than it actually is.

To the left, is a set of sturdy wooden stairs with a beautifully polished railing. A small wooden door has been cleverly built into the stairs. Several handsomely framed paintings of smiling patrons lead up the stairs. A small wooden sign hangs above the door. It reads “Out of Character Talk Room”.

To my right, I see the narrow hallway that leads to the washrooms and a polished wooden bar with a strange looking clock sitting on it. Next to the clock is Jeffery’s mug. On the back wall behind the bar, there are several signs with various funny sayings written on them. There are also some shelves displaying bottles of wine. Jeffery is behind the bar polishing glasses with a rag.

Straight ahead is the fireplace. The light from it gives the room an appealing, peaceful feel. There are several wooden chairs and a few fur rugs near the fireplace, making it the perfect place to cozy up with a hot drink on a cold night. Tyrell is settled in by the fire with Scooter laying at his feet.

I look around the room and see several rustic tables and chairs. Each of the tables has a candle, so there is plenty of light. There are a couple of extra comfortable looking chairs made with some kind of soft material. One is a deep ruby red color, and the other is black. Both have a pretty purple trim. I wish I could sit in those chairs, but I can only assume they are for someone special and not for the general public. Everything looks well cared for.

I sit down at the bar and order a fruitflower tea while listening to the various quiet conversations from patrons nearby. I feel like I belong here at the Dundee Inn.
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Zanaan
Veteran

Postby Zanaan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:17 pm

Decided to do things a bit different this time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSLpAL6 ... nel=Zanaan
Order Adjutant Viviyana raises her hands to receive the Blessing of Zanaan's Presence , "Oh, thank you."

Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Olivia Pratt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:18 am

Awww you're version of Scooter is adorable!
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:21 am

Zanaan that was amazing!!! Loved it!!!
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:04 pm

I love it. Zanaan!

Hm.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:15 am

I’d been taking one of my usual strolls around Dundee a few turns back. In the square I came across a young adventurer, name of Joey. I didn’t recall having seen him for some time. He was looking at the Dundee Inn as though unsure whether he should enter or not. ‘It’s an impressive building, isn’t it?’ I said. ‘Have you been inside?’
The youngster shook his head. ‘No,’ he replied. ‘I haven’t gone in. I haven’t ever gone into an inn, and never drunk anything they’d sell.’
‘Come on in with me, and sit for a while.’ I encouraged him. ‘If you don’t like ale, you can try the fruitflower tea.’
Joey hesitated for a moment, then nodded in agreement. We went in and I introduced my young companion to the innkeeper. ‘Jeffrey will look after you. He’s quite good-natured – mostly. Just make sure you wipe your boots on the way in, and don’t drop crumbs or spill a drink on the floor.’
The lad looked around, again nodding. ‘It would be a shame to mark the floor. These floorboards are well smoothed and fitted. And the seats and tables have been made with great care by the look of them.’
I gave Joey a tea and a small ale. ‘Here’s some tea for you. And an ale, for you to taste. Don’t drink it if you don’t like it. Let’s sit, shall we?’
We took a seat by the window and Joey glanced out at the bustling square outside. ‘So many people,’ he said in a quiet tone. Then he turned his attention back to the interior of the inn, commenting on the heavy wooden beams in the ceiling and those set into the walls with whitewashed areas between them. ‘This is all so different from my home,’ he muttered. ‘That magnificent fireplace is the size of an entire wall of the shack where I lived.’ He took a sip of ale and shuddered slightly. With a muttered apology he put it down, being careful to avoid the candle standing in the centre of the table. ‘Got to be careful. Sometimes I’m a bit clumsy!’ He smiled rather shyly.
‘This is very welcoming,’ he remarked after a while. He sniffed. ‘I don’t particularly like the smell of ale. But the food smells good. And I can smell soap and beeswax. They sure keep busy making sure the place is neat and clean.’
‘It always has been,’ commented Jeffrey. ‘I never had any complaints.’
Joey spoke quietly, gesturing in the direction of two chairs fitted with comfortable-looking cushions: one in purple, the other in deep crimson. ‘There must be very fine people who visit here,’ he said. ‘Those two chairs look very grand. They must be kept for only the most special visitors. And some people even have their own mug!’ He pointed to a wooden mug set on the bar inscribed with Jeffrey’s name.
‘Sometimes people make little things to help decorate the place,’ I said. ‘Like that mug, and the clock. As a sort of extra thanks to Jeffrey for his fine service.’
‘And there are more of the fine people,’ Joey noted as some patrons were allowed up the broad staircase, while others were not.
‘Going up there depends on whether or not your taxes are currently paid,’ I explained. ‘And the back room in the north wall is somewhere to go if you want to talk about things not usually discussed in here.’
‘I see. I don’t think I’d need to go in there.’
‘If there is somewhere you need to go, the men’s room is through that door and to your right,’ I commented.
Joey blushed. ‘No, thank you.’ He finished his tea. ‘I should get some rest, I think.’ He stood, thanking Jeffrey. I noted with some small amusement that as he headed toward the door he walked on the floorboards, as though he feared treading on the hide rugs.
‘No need to worry about stepping on the rugs,’ I said. ‘Treat this place as a home.’
He shook his head. ‘Oh no,’ he said. ‘This is a fine place, and it feels very welcoming. Very different from my old home.’
‘Enjoyed your visit, lad?’ Tyral asked.
Joey flushed slightly once again, at being spoken to. ‘Yes, very much thank you.’ He stood for a moment as though undecided, then reached out to pet Scooter. He smiled as the little dog responded enthusiastically to the attention.
He stopped at the door, turning to speak to Jeffrey and to Tyral. ‘Thank you again. I like this place. I will come again.’
I raised my hand in a farewell, watching as the youth stepped out and disappeared into the throng in the square. ‘Jeffrey, I think I might have found you a new patron. That must be worth a free ale, don’t you think?’ I asked with a laugh.
Jeffrey also laughed. ‘No, I don’t, seeing as I don’t understand the term free ale! Take care Pallas.’
Before stepping out from the inn, I stopped and looked around, seeing the place through the eyes of a fresh young adventurer. It made me think, for the first time in a very long while, how fine a building the inn is, and how fortunate we are to have such an establishment to give warmth and welcome, set at the heart of the town.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Thank you all for your entries...I think I will have to say. Even with so few entries. They were all so good and entertaining. so you are all winners

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”