When I grow up, I want to be ... Contest!

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Bebhinn
Experienced Adventurer

When I grow up, I want to be ... Contest!

Postby Bebhinn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:44 pm

After the recent talk of DG 2.0, second professions and a meander through the streets of Dundee, I got to thinking about what other profession/trade I would like to do. So, in the spirit of creativity and wishful thinking, I thought I would ask you the same but under the guise of a forum contest ... "When you grow up, what do you want to be?"

The contest is simple you need to answer the following:

1. What do you want to do?
      Have you dreamt of owning a shoe shop or being a jeweler? Have you always wanted to run a restaurant or be a street food vendor? Tell us that dream you have, that secret yearning.
  2. Where would you sell your wares or offer your services?
      Describe where your shop, bistro, stall or B&B is and write a short description of the interior.
  3. What do you sell? What's on the menu? What service do you provide?
      You can do this in anyway you choose. If you want to sell hats, either write a description or draw a picture. If you see yourself opening a cafe, you might want to design a menu or part of a menu-what is your cafe's speciality for instance? Anything goes in this section.

Please make sure that your entry would fit with the world of Valorn.

Entries: Per character, not per player.

Closing date: 31st May

Bebh and Cody

Prize: Very much depends on what Cody and I can find in our banks.
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Re: When I grow up, I want to be ... Contest!

Postby Bifrost Janger » Fri May 01, 2020 7:32 am

When I grow up I want to be...

A Gremlin Gadget Shop owner!

Some ragtag establishment is squashed at the end of this dirty-cobbled alleyway; it's windows too clouded to properly see inside, and it's doorway a hand too short for the average adventurer to gain entry without stooping.

From outside, a pair of Gremlins are drumming up a royal ruckus. One fingers some peculiar looking squeeze box, while the other beats himself half to death around the head with a tambourine. Occasionally, the duo will break out into some dirty-ditty; dissolving into peels of cackling laughter.

Inside:

There is a hole in the floorboards just inside the door. From within, comes the snuffling and wriggling of a Gremlin nest; the infants safely hidden from view by a chequered blanket.

The noise from the street permeates so loudly within that it is wonder that any work gets done in this establishment at all. But an elderly Gremlins sits crouched over a table in the back; steadily soldering his wares. A great amount of white hair sprouts from his large ears.

In another corner, a younger Gremlin sorts diligently through a heap of brass scrap; while his assistant scratches notes in a large journal.

In the highest rafter, hangs a portrait of the shop's proprietor - Mister Bifrost Janger - his likeness defiled by a scrawled on moustache, chin-wart and blackened tooth.

Shop wares:

Telescopic ring
Rifterdial
Compass
Gremlin Mellowmarsh Pipe
Polished Copper Boomstick
Gremlin gaslight/flare stick
Ear/noise mufflers
Phial bag
Gremlin goggles
Rustbucket mechanical bird - to send mail!
Walking cane
Useless whirling gizmo
Pea-shooting cannon ring
Mechanical wind-up Humie-hand
Sea Dweller Snorkel
Stilts
Pocket mechanical crabthing
Self-boiling flask of tea

Disclaimer - all purchases made from the Gremlin Gadget shop are made at the consumers own risk. The Gremlin Gadget Shop takes no responsibility for lost fingers or household explosions.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Location - Dundee Road

A large establishment on this broad and bustling thoroughfare just north of Dundee's town square has been vacant for a while. But now it is the centre of intense activity. All marcs of the day or night workmen are coming and going, and some of the finest artisans in the lands have been seen gaining entry.
Thick drapes hanging against the inside of the windows completely obstruct any view of the interior. The sounds of sawing and hammering can frequently be heard, counterpointed by the softer sound of paintbrushes busy at work.
A familiar voice might be overheard offering advice and suggestions, though Pallas' words have not as yet betrayed future plans to any who might overhear him.
A sheet of parchment is affixed to the door. It bears the simple message 'Opening Soon'

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Jobe Thaniel Steward
Adventurer

Postby Jobe Thaniel Steward » Sun May 17, 2020 9:37 am

When I grow up I want to be... a salon owner!

The outside of this establishment shines as brightly as a brass button. Through the large front window, a pleasant golden light spills through onto the street. Handsome signage above the door names the shop as JTS Hair Design.

A smaller note pinned to the door reads - strictly no muddy boots inside.

Inside
Polished wooden floors lead the way to three leather-backed chairs, each seated before an oval looking-glass. Shelves teem with glass jars; each stuffed with soaps, powders and all manners of pleasant-smelling gloop.

In one corner of the shop, a number of plush velvet couches are set about a low mahogany table. Strewn across the table top are a number of typical Valornian gossip rags, each bearing headlines such as Cordelia in bits - Royal Wedding Debacle! and Is Your Body Iscax Beach Ready?

In the back, a small section of the floor has been penned off to give home to a hutch, where resides an exceedingly fluffy white rabbit with pink eyes. His pastel pink waterbowl bears the name Firenze.

Shop wares:

Soap
Comb
Perfume
Ornate hairpin
Gentleman's shaving kit
Tweezers
Toothbrush
Fluffy robe
Fluffy slippers
There are a couple ways to avoid death, one is to be magnificent. - Ian Dury

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Pallas wrote: Pallas' words have not as yet betrayed future plans to any

So... Pallas just wants to be 'mysterious' when he grows up :lol:
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Bebhinn
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bebhinn » Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

Just to remind everyone that there are just 7 days left to enter When I grow up, I want to be...

After much discussion (actually no discussion and more me raiding Cody' piggy bank), we have decided that the prize for the winning entry will be ... drum roll ... 3 months premium paid to the account of your choice!

Bebh x

NB. Winning prize can be split across several accounts if preferred.
War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.

Cody F
Social Leech

Postby Cody F » Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 am

*grumbles about having to find a new spot to hide his piggy bank*

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 pm

When I grow up I want to be... A seller of fine rocks and stone art!

Argoth would set up shop right outside the mine to the north of Branishor. The gremlins long gone after being offered plenty of jobs at Bifrost's new place.
A carved pillar by the entrance, made of the whitest marble would read: Smooth Edges, Rocky Ledges
A short walk into the old mining camp, past the pillar, and one would see the old log cabin. A humble rebuilding and redecoration just to clear out all the... "gremlin treasures" (soon at a discount sale in a Gremlin Gadget Shop near you!) and one could arrive to find the most exquisite rocks known to Valorn. The building would have to become more pleasant than it once was. Instead of any kind of door, a big open arch would allow entry inside.
Rows of marble, obsidian and granite of various sizes are to be orderly displayed, and a miserable looking helper will have to keep trying to erase all signs of stone dust, to little success, Argoth imagines.
In his mind's eye, Argoth looks at all newcomers with a bothered look, sending many unspoken messages that visitors are an unwelcome necessity that will most likely disturb the work and order of this place.

A sign on a wall would describe the services one may find here:
Marble blocks
Obsidian blocks
Granite blocks
Geode encrusted decorations
Custom made statues
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Sun May 24, 2020 10:31 pm

Sounds of excavation can be heard., apparently coming from beneath the building on the Dundee Road. Over time those sounds also carry an echo as though the open space is becoming deeper, or maybe more extensive.
Much of the back wall of the building has been removed, and two large doors have been installed. Carts arrive empty, and leave piled high with a load which, though covered, leaves a faint trail of the smell of earth. Others arrive carrying a covered load. One such was inadvertently uncovered before entering through the double doors, revealing a glimpse of lengths of fine wood assembled into a criss-cross mesh. The cover of another cart slipped and for a moment what might have been a bookcase was revealed.
The parchment sheet on the front door now reads ‘Opening very soon’

ZarockNight
Veteran

Postby ZarockNight » Sun May 24, 2020 11:31 pm

What do you want to do?
An artist studio/gallery and an art school.

Where would you sell your wares or offer your services?
A wide open space, with polished wood timber floors, white washes plaster walls. Two large bay display windows on either side of the wide swinging doors. A small section to the left of the main entry to display and sale art works made by my self or students or anyone that wanted to use the facilities.
Would offer a wide selection of work benches and materials for crafting in the arts.

What do you sell? What's on the menu? What service do you provide?

Would offer a variety of services. People could come and use the materials to make their own art to keep or sell in the gallery. People wishing to learn or teach could use our student area. I would teach different classes pertaining to the arts from painting to drawing sculpture even carving.

As you approach the white washed from of a store house sized building, off the main path of dundee. You are first greeting by two wall sized bay windows. Warm with a glow from a hearth. Laughter can be heard though the large double doors between the windows, both standing open. As you enter the door you first catch sight of a number of word work tables with sever people gathered around each table, and at the head of each table a person stands explaining a different aspect of a creative art. Along the left white washed wall are shelves and racks piled high with every material your mind could imagine, parchment, scrolls, inks and brushes, Canvases and paints. As your eyes cross to the front right you see a small area walled off on two sides with a large arch to allow access to well lit area filled with hanging paintings, each with a plaque next to it. wood pedestals dot the space with a variety or wood, stone and clay sculptures. A glass case with every shelves above it hold smaller items made from wire and polished stones. You look to the back of the building and you see two smaller areas walled off with door access and a polished wood stairs leading to a top floor.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 am

Zarock's art school needs an NPC named Rob Boss, who paints happy little Korungas, and says stuff like, "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents..." *Wholesome chuckle*.

He's a retired royal guard that just got darn tired of yelling at folks all of the time...

I love him already : ' (
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 pm

What do you want to do?
I have always dreamed of owning a pet shop. I would love to be the caretaker of so many furry, feathered, and even scaley little critters.
I would hold them, and pet them, and love them so much they would become perfect pets!
Tiny little plainscats. Fluffy little carnivorous bunnies of death. Smol baby dark vultures. Wee hairless rats (because they havent grown their fuzz out yet!). Even some slippery little poison frogs!
Where would you sell your wares or offer your services?
I would need a very big pet shop. I think the Green Prairie would be perfect. Plenty of space and not that many neighbors to complain. I would only have to worry about the Ogres thinking it was a farm and try to eat all my adorable little pets!
What do you sell? What's on the menu? What service do you provide?
If it lives in Valorn - I will steal them as babies and tame them up for sale.
Except humans, of course. You can't tame them - especially the females. Trust me. Many before me have tried.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 am

.Except humans, of course. You can't tame them - especially the females. Trust me. Many before me have tried.
:lol:
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Sat May 30, 2020 11:58 am

Whatever excavation was being done is presumably complete.
The majority of the artisans are gone now.
The double doors at the back of the building are mostly left open to allow a succession of carts to be relieved of their loads. More of the criss-cross wooden structures are taken inside.
Various sized barrels and vats are unloaded from carts. Wooden crates emit the chink of glass contents clinking together despite the care with which they are removed from the carts and taken inside.
Pallas busies himself preparing a wooden board, apparently painting some sort of sign to fix above the front door.

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Sat May 30, 2020 8:19 pm

When we win, and I retire from roguery, I would set up Oculus Clothing Design, in Laleldan east of Beatrice.

Amid a welter of mannequins, fabric swatches and color samples, there is an open space under the skylight with a drafting board, a mirror, and a few chairs.

All kinds of suits and dresses designed; maps and locksmithing also available.

Rhalia
New Adventurer

Postby Rhalia » Sun May 31, 2020 1:57 am

Towards the South, tucked into a little grove of trees, there is a quaint bed and breakfast. It has just opened to afford travelers a place to lay their weary heads and enjoy the splendor of the oasis.
The structure stands a single story and has a spacious porch with lounge rockers and swings for guests to sit and nature watch.
The exterior has been painted an egg white, with the shutters and trim a rich and complimenting shade of indigo. On either side of the porch steps, there is a lovely garden of tulips, daisies and irises. In the left-hand garden, in the same color scheme as the building, there is a sign. The words Lilurhalia’s B&B are scrawled in an elegant indigo script against the egg white backdrop, with a bordering of crimson, fuchsia and orange blossoms.

As you enter the main reception area, the light scent of freshly baked breads and pastries greets you. The heavenly aroma wafts through the whole building from the kitchen located to the west.
The reception area itself has a rustic atmosphere. The lounge area near the door has a few comfortable leather upholstered sofas and loveseats for guests to wait to check in or out. There is a large dining area set in the northern part of the room, with elegant mahogany tables and chairs. The hardwood floor is polished to a shine and has a few tasteful decorative runners here and there. The walls are adorned with pleasant oils and tapestries depicting lovely and peaceful scapes of areas found throughout Valorn. The sleeping quarters are located through the door to the east.

Merchandise: Mug of warm cider, Glass of Wine, Bread cookie, Korunga tart, Lemon tart, Platter of pastries, Egg, Bromidic Bos meat

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sun May 31, 2020 3:52 am

Topaz stands at the entrance to the Shieldwall forge, her planishing hammer in her hand.

Once a cave beneath the mountain fortress of Shieldwall, the forge boasts a large, deep hearth where a fire is always burning. Armoring tools are laid out on a stone table, and there is an armor stand next to a well-used anvil. Also on the table are a pile of wyvern scales, fireworm skins, seadrop pearls, opalescent gems, and glowing crystals.

From the forge comes superb armor -- suits of armor both strong and beautiful, each piece crafted with care and uniquely for its wearer. Equally fine are the swords, exquisitely balanced, keen-bladed, often engraved with the sword's name or its owner's. And Topaz gives just as much attention to the repair of old and used items with sentimental value.

Through the door at the back of the forge is the armory, where oth new and old items are on display.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Sun May 31, 2020 11:37 am

Now open for business

Vines and Volumes
Purveyors of fine wines and books

The large building situated on the Dundee Road just north of the town square has recently been refurbished. The exterior is painted with a shining, glossy black coating, and the name of the establishment is picked out in silver ornamental lettering above the door.

The inside is light and airy, the walls lined with wooden racks loaded with bottles of wine, sourced from all across the lands.
An unusual feature for a wine merchant, but in keeping with the owner’s character, is the reading corner. Here are bookshelves rather than wine racks, and a couple of comfortable chairs. A small sign affixed above the shelves of books and scrolls reads -

‘Please feel free to sit and peruse the reading materials while you enjoy the wine you have purchased.’

Pallas and his assistant vintner Rojere busy themselves seeing to the needs of patrons. Making recommendations to clients regarding the range of wines available, taking orders and discussing current events. Or perhaps chatting about the range of reading material to be found on the bookshelves.
Behind the counter a small door leads down to the recently-installed extensive cellar, used for storing wines under the most favourable of conditions. A short passage leads to the back of the establishment where double doors allow access for carts to make deliveries.
A notice above the counter reads -

‘Spend 10plat on wine and receive a book free of charge. Or spend 10plat on reading material and receive a free bottle of house white’

On the counter is a board on which sits a selection of cheeses, for those who wish to complement their wine with something tasty to nibble.
In the corner behind the counter is kept a supply of fragrant tree moss tea.

Rhalia
New Adventurer

Postby Rhalia » Sun May 31, 2020 12:55 pm

Topaz... might I commission a suit of armor and a sword from you? *Grins*

Cody F
Social Leech

Postby Cody F » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 pm

So many cool entries! Bebh and I will be talking about this a bunch and we'll have a winner by the end of the weekend :) Thanks so much to everyone who submitted an idea, you definitely made our job harder.

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”