Writing Prompt - My DG Story

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Writing Prompt - My DG Story

Postby Bifrost Janger » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am

Who was your character when they first arrived in Valorn - what were their dreams, goals and hopes for the future? How did they see the world?

Who are they now; what events provoked them to change?

THIS IS YOUR DG STORY!

Basically a biography of your character's life in game.

I don't know if I could hand out prizes most interesting lives :lol: So let's just say this is for creative enjoyment and nosiness.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Lavender
Social Leech

Re: Writing Prompt - My DG Story

Postby Lavender » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Born to an aristocratic family she was given every monetary luxury in life from the day she was born. That day was probably the only celebration she had ever attended and she was too young to remember it. She was named such because even from birth her eyes where a lovely shade of purple. Since that day she was raised to be a lady of the society to which she was born, but she was not raised by her parents, who were far too busy having fun at grand parties and teas to worry about raising a child. She was raised by a governess who believed children should be seen and not heard, unless spoken to then to give a short answer and then be silent again; this caused her to tend to be shy and quiet even now. She was never allowed to speak to the staff that kept the estate nor were they to speak to her. She and her sister was given every toy and luxury one born to wealth could ever receive, but had no friends to talk to or play with growing up, as she and Leah were kept apart. And so it remained this way for many years then her parents finally came to tell her that she was to attend a ball thrown there on the estate thrown for her and her fiancee! She had never met the man she was to bonded, but though she was quiet as a mouse she was not shy about sneaking about her home and during one of these outings she overheard the staff talking about the manor of man she was to be bonded to, and found out he was a cruel man, one who liked to flaunt his money and fine things but cared little for his staff and the women that tried to catch his eye, even that he delighted in being cruel to them. She knew that while her situation was pitiful it was about to become MUCH worse if she were bound to the man her parents planed. So over the course of the next weeks she planned her escape from her prison. On the eve of the party her parents were throwing in honor of her bonding she managed to escape into the woods a couple miles away before they found her gone and sent the hounds and men after her! Hearing the sounds of the coming posse she ran blindly into a cave trying to hide but feeling it was inevitable that she would be found, in desperation she prayed as she backed farther into the darkness not seeing where she somehow stumbled through a portal and found herself standing in Valorn! Very shy and still very scared one day she might be found she treads on here making friends and a life for herself and even though the lands are flowing with beast and demons she dares not imagine, she does what she can to help. It was very hard for her to choose her profession, either cleric or enchanter, for reasons of her being in Valorn, ultimately choosing to be an enchanter in hopes that if the portal that brought her here is ever found she would have a way out again. Choosing to keep to herself should her former fiancee ever find her. Eventually that fear vanished after many, many years learning to open up and make friends, in fact her first friend was her own mentor, then after that it wasn't until she was hunting blue crystals that she finally found a guild to call home. While she was hunting and learning her blue spells she became more comfortable with the world. It was in that home she settled and learned she enjoyed helping people, she started opening up thanks to Cody and her new family, and even fell in love with another guild brother, but it was a love that wasn't meant to last, sadly she seemed to inherit her parents restlessness. For the longest time never sitting still for long, choosing others over those she loved, due more then likely to the fact that growing up she was never allowed to form a fondness for anyone, so the unknown has hindered her getting really close to anyone since she came to Valorn. And knowing this she has tried to settle herself down, and ended up only giving herself heart break over and over because while she is smart when it comes to magic, fighting, and knowing her way around, becoming in words of others, "the most helpful" too humble to ever call herself that she will deny it.. but when it comes to affairs of the heart, this enchanting enchanter is lost in the nature of love and how it is to actually be, not trusting herself, as it is the one place in life that she found herself nervous and scared. Until the day she was attacked by darkness tendrils... but that is another story for another day. There is more to this tale, like when she went home again... came back to Valorn with memory loss. But alas some things need not be known in one story. Lavender willingly fights demons, demon lords, gods... and many creatures in her many adventures since coming to this world choosing always to defend what she cares about. She's learned happiness, sorrow, loss, shame, humility, and to find joy in the simplest things as she travels through the lands she now calls home.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Rosaline Emily Gill

Rosaline was born in a village in between the beach and a high mountain, an only child being raised by her father who sold fish in the market in town, her mother having passed away in child birth. Morning her mother her father fell into despair and drank ale of any variety he could get. As a young child she was abused by a drunken father who blamed her for taking his bondmate away. As she was an only child she would frequently leave her house at night by any means possible and walk the shores longing to get away, the moon, stars and waves where her solitude. But every morning when her father woke from his drunken slumber would find her and drag her back to their shack. Where she would hide in the rafters while he hollered at her for leaving always asking her if she wanted to be taken away from him too, then he would cling to the bottle, like it was the only love left him and forget she was even there. Life passed this way for many a year and she learned not to talk to her father or even show that she was there for fear that his grief and anger would turn to her, as it sometimes did, and then all she could do was pray for her father to fall into a stupor once more. As soon as she was old enough, and had finally found enough courage, she snuck out one night and stowed away aboard a ship, she cared not where it was going she only wanted to be away. There was a ferocious storm that night and the ship was torn to bits, leaving her and all the crew scrambling for land, as she could not swim she was tosses about by the waves and ended up on the beaches of Dundee. She does not know how but her very first memory is waking up at Jolan’s feet him welcoming her to Valorn, she was once again healthy and could see, and hear, but her past she has somehow forgotten only remembering her name, even her age to her is a mystery. But she set forth in this new world determined to see and do whatever she could to help. Her first few times at the inn she watched the comings and goings learning this new world, she mistrusted rogues at first hating them due to most always being in the dark, but eventually she made friends and found her place in this world she was adopted by a rogue who tried, and failed, to convince her to be a rogue. And to her in amazement she eventually opened her heart and found the love of another rogue, she can not help but to sometimes laughs at the fact that she once mistrusted them, though she teased him about stealing her heart. Her love of helping others and her sadness at seeing another hurt are what drove her to eventually become a cleric, her mentor Tarryn taught her everything she needed to know about being a cleric, and when it was time, she chose to follow Miranda’s ways. She loves to help and hates seeing anyone hurt in any way, which gets her into trouble as sometimes she heals others without their permission. But with the help of her love, her guild family, and friends she has made she is learned to stand up for herself, though she is more likely to stand up for others then herself, even her memories came back after a while. For many years she happily lived life in perfect delight, content with her life here, her family, everything... so happy in fact she became annoyingly bouncy and cheerful. Then during last summer faire, she thought, life couldn't get any better for her. And for now... seems she was right, because sadly even the happiest of people fall from grace and become lost. Something happened, depression crept in... from nowhere and she became lost inside her own mind, trapped. On the outside was always a smile, the constant happy bounciness - a facade to hide the sadness that was welling up inside her for unknown reasons and she blocked it... but not only it...she became a smiling zombie, there... but not there, helpful to others as she could be, but not actually mentally available to anyone, even her bondmate. And honestly oblivious of what was happening to her until it was too late. Slowly she is now waking again... lost, feeling alone, even though she knows her family is still there for her, having blocked everyone for so long she knows she hurt many, but none more then herself. Almost feeling like things would be better in that happy craziness that held her for so long, so she wouldn't feel the loss, and pain she now endures at the hand life has dealt her. Trying to find herself again, trying to not hate herself for things beyond her own control, choosing to turn to her goddess and her devotion to her. She now wonders if her fathers condition was hereditary. Hoping to one day find her place in Valorn again, trying hard not to let herself slip back into the dark numbness that held her for so long.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Jobe Thaniel Steward
Adventurer

Postby Jobe Thaniel Steward » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 am

I had long hair and a penchant for feather earrings. Embarrassing, I know. My hair was rather impressive though; in that long and girlish sort of way. I garnered many marcs of joy out of it; be it in the weaving of braids or the arranging of ponytails; or the feel of a woman's fingers.

It has been ten cycles, or there abouts, since I first arrived in these lands. I was forty four (the maths is not terribly difficult to do) and freshly widowed. I arrived a subdued version of myself; uncertain and diluted. My grief still hung heavy in my heart. I had no romantic relationships, those first few cycles. Though the friends I found were many and dear; Caritta and Asara standing out above the rest. Caritta for being my first, true friend, and Asara for being the shameless creature that she was. The last I seen of Caritta, she had bonded to that Andy Feenix fellow, and joined the ranks of his many wives. Asara, got herself banished. The reason why I can't recall.

I remember my first meeting of Lillya - a friend I still have right up till this very turn. She had gotten herself quite lost in the swamps, in the dark of the cave. I brought her a torch to see her out and she kissed me for it. I always did possess a deep affection for Lillya.

But in those early turns, as I said, my grief kept me from pursuing relations beyond friendship. Though I had my band of women about me, the men I found not to be so kind. Many a tussle was had and I, being a worn stranger in these lands, had hardly the heart to fight back.

There was one shameful period, I recall, that I attempted to go incognito. Looking back, I now shudder at my own weakness. Contemptible, wretched thing that I was. But, I shod myself of my rings and finery. I put away my sweet smelling perfumes and done away with those feathery earrings. I wore a shirt as plain as a potato sack and slacks just as ill-fitting.

Mercifully, Kaballoi had been watching. She took note of my drab transformation and spirited me away. She took me to the hall of the Twenty Two, and bade me to look upon the likeness of Agape hanging in the entryway. The seeing of him was the epiphany that I needed - he who lived and loved so boldly and without care.

It was after that, I was reborn; twice as vivacious as before. Kaballoi gifted me my handkerchief with the white rabbit, Azure my favourite fuchsia blossom. I abandoned feather earrings entirely after that; I've much preferred jewels ever since.

You must forgive me, if my chronology is slightly off with this retelling - you must understand, I have been here for a very long time. Though, I believe it was around this period that I met Ziegfried.

I never knew which path I was going to follow; I mean, in the sense of professions and the likes. Mummy would've liked me to have become a Cleric, were she still alive. Gods rest her soul. An Enchanter, naturally, I believe I do possess the pizazzfor that sort of thing; lovely outfits and the endless benefits of not having to walk long distances in heels. True enough too, have bore the accusation that I am truly a rogue in warrior's clothing. My fingers are clever enough... But no! As you all well know I became a Warrior; and I think the position suits me well. I am spiteful and showy enough to play the part.

I decided to become a warrior after my very first meeting with Ziegfried. He was a warrior as is typical with the breed; burly, blood-peppered, ill-tempered. He wiped his dirtied hand down the front of my frilled shirt right in the middle of Dundee and a tremendous fight ensued. He called me 'poofer' - and all of the connotations that go along with the word.

"I bet that is what you're going to be, isn't it? Poofer."

I told him that I wasn't. That I was going to be a Warrior. And what was more, if he was such a prime example of masculinity; he might just make a man of me yet. He would teach me how. He would be my sponsor. Of course, he could not refuse me; to do so would be to deny his own virility. He was quite stuck with me.

Anyway my venture was successful, and I became the warrior that you see today. In fact, I surpassed Ziegfried in my training many cycles ago. In our disagreement, we did eventually find friendship and common ground. For Ziegfried, I found, was so terrified of femininity, that he was infact afraid of women. We grew much together.

Life was good. I hosted parties and had many friends. I wore the Crown of Thespis. I hadn't a care in the world. I met Bibi - who is a sister to me - one turn at Cerbie's and followed her home to The Vanguard Hall; and I've been there ever since. My home.

I fell in love. Madly. For the first time since the passing of Celeste. Though, it was a short-lived, twisted affair to look back upon. But, that is all I deserve for dabbling with a girl young enough to be my  daughter. I suppose that is what I fell in love with; that wildness and spirit. The way that she made me feel. Contagious was her youth, and for a few months I too was a young man; careless and heady.

Helena Winston was her name, and a part of me will always remember her with affection.

The fall out from the madness lasted two years, there abouts. Heartbreak, that is. The cold realisation that your very best is not enough; not enough to keep her. My best, I thought, is phenomenal. Surely, I am charming, wealthy, tall, and as handsome as they come?! To bask in the full ferocity of my admiration is as thrilling as it is rare.

No. Not enough. I had never been this before, unworthy. Unwanted. It shook me to my very core. Terrified me. Maybe I was getting old? Maybe my turns basking in the 'rifter were up, and it was time I retreated to the shadows, along with the other old and unwanted things.

Initially, I attempted to rebound from this quickly; as though to prove to myself that there was truly nothing wrong with me. But I found that I had no care of my new lovers, and was habitually cruel. So, I retreated from all of that messy business and decided yo remain alone. So began the Aunty Jobe years - the time that I was sexless, harmless and docile.

This time crept up on me slowly; so slowly that I did not even see their coming until I was safely out upon the other side. From these turns, I recall meeting Lavender Morgan, and our many lengthy nocturnal conversations laid out upon the Worldbuilder Lawn - this is before there was a well there.

I was drunk alot; but in that sleepy, pleasant sort of way. I trained and drank and slept and chatted. I got a a bit beardie a time or two; when I had been up, training in the mountains for too long.

And then, one turn, 'Aunty Jobe' was gone. I awoke feeling starved; rabid and restless. Here I am calla lily. I am Black Star. Aunty Jobe is dead. I was destructive and emotionally vampiric. I was happy in bursts; and angry just as often. This man is rather close to the one I am now. Not quite Tahapense though, not yet.

First, there were all of those others. Rowan, who'd draw me sleeping. Achelus - bonded - but he'd write me love notes all the same. Dabria and our fights. Sweet Nadya Duskborn (who's token I still carry in my pack), she'd wash the smudged eyeliner from my face when I was hungover. There was Llyewell, a fellow widow; together we found solace. Other faces and hands I recall, but who's names I do not remember.

It was all fun. A lark. I gave in with my training cycles ago; I simply do not bother anymore. I've never fought in any great battle. I don't have much care for such glory.

Who am I now? I am old, but still very much alive. Too alive. I should be slowing, but I find I want more. I'm not ready to retire. I'm not ready to leave. I plan on making deals with Crones and orchids, but I digress from my telling.

There is Lathai now. Angelo. A better man than me. Who would've thought I would ever find this; that I would find such sweet salvation in this golden-headed man. That I am wholly horrid, affectionate, mercurial, catty and wonderful with each passing marc, and I find that it is enough. I am enough.

I am promised now, as most of you may well know. When I bond, I will take his name. I have been Jobe Thaniel Steward for the whole of my life; I think it'll be thrilling to be somebody new.

For the future, perhaps I will open a salon next door to Zanaan's. I doubt if I will explore much or fight in any wars. Good shoes, good wine, and better company. I will never stumble from my path again; I would never allow other people's doubts to cloud my heart. A chaotic home with Lathai and Firenze the rabbit; that is life now.
There are a couple ways to avoid death, one is to be magnificent. - Ian Dury

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”