Garden of the Gods - Statue Carving

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Turcko
Veteran

Garden of the Gods - Statue Carving

Postby Turcko » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 pm

*Argoth pins a notice to the town board*

Fellow adventurers, it seems stone carvers and masons are in short supply in the realms. Since statues in honor of our Gods are needed to decorate the upcoming garden that will replace the destroyed Building of Glass, all are invited to come by Worldbuilder Lawn to try their hands at stone carving.
All levels of expertise are welcome, from novice to master, and help will be provided in any way we can. Pooling our stone carving knowledge is key.

- The goal is to carve statues of both Miranda and Zeric. Only 1 statue of each God will be picked (2 statues in total).
- You can choose to make just one of the statues, if your creativity and inspiration or admiration for a particular deity only goes so far;
- For fun and practice, feel free to try out carving other stuff, although those won't be used in the final project for the gardens.

Address Argoth or Lavender Morgan for further details.

Smaller print at the bottom of the notice: "Choosing to carve a statue of just one God may or may not result in envious smiting. We take no responsibility on such matters"

OOC:
21st of march, Thursday
8pm GMT/UTC
4pm EST
3pm CST.
This will be mostly an RP event with entries then posted in this topic for evaluation.
The prize is having your statue in the new gardens :)
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

lucus
New Adventurer

Re: Garden of the Gods - Statue Carving

Postby lucus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Zeric: a roughly humanoid figure, made of the darkest basalt. His face is only suggested by the masses, but his armor, boots and helm almost reflect with their brilliance, and the gloved arms hold a great pike or spear, pointing at the viewer. The attitude seems prepared, but almost careless, as though the audience could be swept away like vorpal bunnies.

lucus
New Adventurer

Postby lucus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Miranda: a smaller, female, figurine of bright marble, looking at the viewer cheerfully. Equipped as a warrior, she stands, parrying with a round shield as she holds a firework ready; a broadsword is sketched on her left hip. In leather armor, with a slashed and pleated overdress, she stands bareheaded, with short but flowing wavy hair. Her face is most carefully done, and seems almost recognizable.

This image may be little, but the expression, while fierce, is confident of victory.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Statue of Viscontessa Miranda
This statue of Viscontessa Miranda standing with her arms behind her back with interlocked hands is made of white marble. It has been carefully and lovingly polished to the point where it seems to glow on its own. Instead of the usual armor, the statue depicts the Viscontessa wearing an apparently simple dress. Closer inspection reveals subtly carved motives in the likeness of flames. Once these are noticed, a reappreciation makes the statue gains a whole new life as if the dress is made of white fire. The hair flows to the shoulders almost realistically and a few roses can be seen in between the locks. The face is a gentle one as the Goddess seems to look at the garden around her and is pleased with her surroundings.

****************************************************************************************

Statue of Ridder Zeric
This statue of Ridder Zeric leaning against a rock supported by his arms stretched behind him is made of dark basalt. It has received some polish but seems to have been intentionally left with some roughness to it, as if to invoke the primal strength of the stone. The statue depicts the Ridder in his usual Inviolable Dawn Armor and Ethereal Boots, which is why the feet aren’t actually touching the ground but the whole body comes from the stone the God is leaning against. The face displays a mysterious smile as it looks slightly upward, seemingly amused at a joke you, the observer, would not understand. Upon closer inspection you notice that the rock that serves as the base of the statue has a map of the known lands of Trinald carved around it: Valorn, Ethucan and Killican, as well as several lightning bolts in the remaining free spaces.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Sorry I couldn't join you for this. The thing known as RL got in the way.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:48 am

Dang. I completely forgot about this!

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 am

I was barely there too Pallas, because of RL. So trust me we understand it happens.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:32 am

My entries are sillies I'm afraid :D Gnomehenge I intended to make at the event before passing out (dang nightshift!)

Devora Jane

In a quiet corner of the garden, a depiction of the Goddess Jane kneels by two apiaries. The soft hum of bees fills the air as they industriously work within - the fruits of their labour the infamous mead, 'Drakons's tears'.

The Weeping Warrior

An impossibly handsome warrior; immortalised in white stone; kneels dramatically as tears of finest Ethucan wine stream down his perfect cheeks. A donation box by his side reads: Boots for Initiates.

Gnomehenge

This mysterious stone circle is rumoured to align with the cycle of the sunrifter - if one were small enough to stand within and look through the monument's miniscule stone arches. The overall construction is crude, and the piled rocks threaten to topple over with each passing breeze.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:46 am

Since the goal is to have the best possible statues for the new garden, and if Lavender does not mind, I'd say entries can still be made until the end of the week, Pallas and Topaz if you wish to.

The event was simply an incentive to have the creative juices flowing and get people to get together and have some friendly, zombie-free, relaxing moments :)

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. Not that those that entered did not do a good job. You did awesomely! But as others wanted to be there and could not make it due to the dreaded RL. I feel it only fair to give them a chance too since this area will be for everyone!

So... Entries can be made here Until Mondy, March 25th. Noon Central time.

So let your creativity flow!

I will contact the Noble Inspector after we judge and hopefully have everything sent to him before the 1st is my hope.
:)
Lavender

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:14 am

Statue of Miranda
The figure of Miranda has a beautiful face and a piercing gaze, carved of dark stone with veins of red quartz.

Her uplifted hands are formed into a cup filled with rich soil. Somehow, mirandines have been persuaded to bloom in that soil, so that the hands of the mighty goddess seem to be filled with the blossoms that bear her name.

Statue of Zeric
The statue of Zeric is carved of fine marble from the northern Endless Desert. The marble, with a bluish tint, depicts the god in toga-like robes which seem to be blown by a high wind. Especially detailed are the god's strong, dexterous hands; he holds a compass in one hand and a delicate implement of some kind in the other.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:50 pm

A massive slab of grey stone is set amid the grass of the park, bearing two figures which stand atop the base, both a head taller than the average adventurer.
To an observer's left stands Miranda carved in white stone inset with scattered red sparkles:around her feet grow her favoured flower. Her resolute expression is softened by a benevolent smile.
On the observer's right stands Zeric depicted in dark stone from which a few blue points shine:his feet are wreathed in wind-blown clouds. His head is slightly tilted upward, and there is a slightly quizzical expression on his face as he observes the serenity of the sky above and the actions of those in the lands before him.
The left arm of Miranda and Zeric's right arm are raised toward the point in the sky where Sunrifter stands at noon on mid-Summerfaire's day, as if to capture some of the energy streaming down from above. Their other arms – Miranda's right and the left of Zeric – are extended outward, hand open, apparently in the process of distributing a portion of Sunrifter's strength and protection over the people who labour to protect our home.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Telvonus
New Adventurer

Postby Telvonus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:55 pm

I like the abstract effect:

Therefore two statues, pillars, shaped just enough to wear their symbols.

For Zeric, blue-tinged dark marble, wearing armor, with boot-tips and gauntlets. His Rock is the darkest chunk of the same marble, and his spear leans against the state.

For Miranda. light marble under a red window, with torc, wreath, ring and robes as separate objects.

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:57 pm

We know everyone has been wondering when we were going to reveal the winner/winners of the event so wonder no more!!!

Please join us for the reveal of the winner/winners at the Fountain Spring!

Tuesday, April 9th

5p CST/ 6p EST/ 11 PM BST

And correct me if I am wrong but I believe that would be 10p GMT...

Thank you all for your help with the cleaning, thank you for your contributions to the designs, and for your help with the awesome Statues. I truly hope this will be a place people can enjoy for many years to come!

Thank you!

Lavender and Argoth
:D
Lavender

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:21 am

Thank you to everyone who came out and made this event a success! I will admit to actually having tears in my eyes IRL because of the overwhelming love and support that was shown throughout all of this! And thank you to the admin for making this all possible! All adventurers and Admin are truly awesome and are what make this game so unique and wonderful! Thank you again!!! ~ Lav
Lavender

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:46 am

I was wandering the memorial garden this turn and noticed that while the Stone Marker and the statue of Ridder Zeric is still there, but the statue of the Viscontessa Miranda, while still described in the description the clickable statue is missing! How could someone have stolen or misplaced such a lovely piece of history commemorating and showing our love of the god and goddess as well as our thanks for what they did and do for us?
Lavender

Alfred Elpin
Adventurer

Postby Alfred Elpin » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:54 am

Ask around in game for more information on this occurrence.
Warrior by the hand of Topaz, mint farmer by birth.

Kailani of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Kailani of Admin » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:55 am

(Area error has been fixed. Thank you.

K.)

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”