For discussion/planning of in character game.

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Blythe
I talk WAY too much

For discussion/planning of in character game.

Postby Blythe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm

This is an Ooc discussion of a possible IC game.
Most of us players are familiar with Werewolf/Mafia (if you’re not- there are endless wikis and variations).
Basically, a game moderator divides the players into two groups - we will call them good guys and bad guys for the sake of simplicity- and the bad guys try to be the last ones standing while the good guys try to get rid of the bad guys.

My thought is to have an in character running game, of sorts, that would also require forum support. The moderator would obviously have to communicate with all the players/characters via the forum (posting on the notice board) and ‘voting’ would take place on the forum as well... but our characters could/would also discuss/interact in the game during the different phases.

So before I put too much energy into rules/specifics/explanations - would anyone be interested? We would need 7-9 players (plus a moderator)
Additionally, we could take turns being the moderator... I’m not trying to ‘own’ it and would love to play as well!

Let me know y’all :) All questions welcomed!
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Cody F
Social Leech

Re: For discussion/planning of in character game.

Postby Cody F » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:50 pm

I'd be up for this, sounds fun :D

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 am

Thanks!
If there is enough interest, I will expound on my idea... but I need at least 6 more people to be on board before I unleash my imagination lol
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 am

Also - in-depth DG lore/knowledge not needed to play or win.
All levels of experienced players from n00b to admin are welcome :-)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Draca
New Adventurer

Postby Draca » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:04 am

Sure I'd be up for it. :)

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:31 am

Sounds like Cops and Robbers. Lol. Count me in!
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:57 am

I would just love this. But I would not want to be moderator.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:02 am

Pallas is interest as well. Just a couple more and we may be in business.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:37 am

I also know this as cops and robbers (from what a google search revealed for Werewolf/Mafia).
Count me in, could be fun :)
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am

Also, in case it makes things easier, DG Discord could be used for speedier interaction between Moderator and players, instead of forum postings.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:57 am

Turcko wrote:Also, in case it makes things easier, DG Discord could be used for speedier interaction between Moderator and players, instead of forum postings.

Not a bad idea, if we need it - it’s always good to know it’s a resource.
I would suspect a lot of player smack talk might be goin in there ;-)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 pm

Here is the (second) revision. We may find loopholes/glitches as we play so it may need to evolve (also as more people play, more ‘special roles’ outside the basics can be added.

Let me know if y’all have any questions/concerns confusions.
(Fair warning, this is a Long post- Best to bring a snack...)

Folly: Demons and Denizens

Folly: noun lack of good sense; foolishness.

Many of you may have never heard of the ancient Kingdom of Fol, as nary a trace of it exists in this age. The fate of this small kingdom, located in the far reaches of Trinald, is played out in a game; aptly named Folly.
The Kingdom Of Fol was ruled by its people. Literally. Every cycle, a new ruler from its denizens was named by the Vicegerent. The ruler, however brief their reign, was charged with the great responsibility of administering justice throughout the kingdom.

This was a time before the Golden Age of Heroes and long before Demon Lord Balthazar came to power. Demons in Fol had no power under the light of Sunrifter and only flourished under the ever watchful Demon Eyes. As such, during marcs of Riftershine, even the most foul demon appeared as a normal denizen. When the Demon Eyes watched the skies, the demons would revel in their evil and wreak havoc on the unsuspecting denizens of Fol.

Foolish: adjective of a person or action) lacking good sense or judgment; unwise. derived from Folish: acting as if from the Kingdom of Fol.

—————————

Set Up:
Minimum of seven players required plus a Narrator (8 in total)
Players will be divided into two teams: Demons and Denizens.
With seven players, two players will be randomly designated as Demons (with more than seven, ratio is approximately 1:3) by the narrator. The designation will be communicated via private message.
The remaining players are Denizens.

Game play:
The game takes places in two continuously rotating auspices (phases): Riftershine and Demon Eyes. A completion of both auspices concludes a turn. The turn is concluded when the Demon Eyes ends and the next Riftershine begins. The game always begins with a Riftershine.
It is the role of the Narrator to announce and track auspices and turns for each game.At the conclusion of the game, the Narrator will relate a summary of turns that will tell the fate of the Kingdom of Fol.

Roles:
Narrator - The Narrator controls the setting and pace as they announce the beginning of each auspice and make public the actions taken by the demons. At the end of the game, the Narrator reveals which side prevailed by providing a summary of the turns; as plainly or creatively as they wish.

Demons - those assigned demon roles have knowledge of each other, but their identity is unknown to other Denizens.
During the auspice of Demon Eyes, the demons may curse any normal denizen.
Their goal is to curse all Denizens before getting banished.

Denizens - There are two special roles among the denizens: Vicegerent and Ruler.

Vicegerent - the Vicegerent is randomly selected at the beginning of the game by the moderator. The Vicegerent may NOT be cursed. The Vicegerent, ordained by their own power to bring the word of the gods to the Kingdom of Fol, has the awesome responsibility of naming a new Ruler at the beginning of each turn. Why are they the Vicegerent, you may ask; because they have told everyone they are. And for the Folish, that is simply good enough. The Vicegerent must bestow the Ruler with a Title by which they will be known for their reign (For Example: King Sam ‘Big Heart’ or Empress Dana ‘Perfect Hair’) by all Denizens. Unfortunately for the denizens, the Vicegerent will have no knowledge of whether or not they are naming a Demon as Ruler. A Vicegerent can never be named Ruler.

Ruler - the Ruler is named and Titled by the Vicegerent at the start of each Riftershine. They have the power to banish any denizen except the Vicegerent. While a denizen is serving as Ruler they may not be cursed by Demons. Effectively making them ‘safe’ for a turn.

Nornal Denizens Those who are not demons and are not serving as either Vicegerent or Ruler are normal denizens of Fol. Their objective is to figure out who among them are demons and convince the current ruler it is not them! Of course the demons will be trying to do the same thing to survive!

Auspices and Actions

During auspice of Riftershine, after the Vicegerent has named and titled a Ruler- discussion may ensue among all players to determine who are the demons. Discussion and questioning of their fellow denizens may only take place during Riftershine and never during Demon Eyes. At any time during the discussion, the Ruler may call a vote. At the conclusion of the vote (when all Denizens have had their say, the Ruler decides its concluded or just gets bored) the Ruler will banish one person or declare that there will be no banishment under their reign. The Ruler is not bound by the vote but can, if they so wish, take the advice of the other denizens. Or just sleep under their crown of twigs: it’s their prerogative what to do with their reign. This announcement (to banish or not) will conclude auspice of Riftershine.
Alternatively, the Narrator may conclude auspice of Riftershine without an announcement from the ruler if it appears the ruler is too busy admiring their crown to make a decision (the Narrator becomes bored).

During the auspice of Demon Eyes is the only time demons may discuss who they want to curse and how. Once they have a unanimous decision, and appropriately evil curse to execute, one of the demons will PM their victim and curse to the Narrator. If there is only one demon remaining in game, it becomes their sole discretion whom to curse and how.
Demon Eyes is concluded when the narrator announces who is cursed and how.
Alternatively, the narrator can conclude auspice of Demon Eyes if the demons are too busy bickering with each other to make a decision (the moderator becomes bored).
The turn is now concluded and the cycle begins again when the moderator announces Riftershine and the Vicegerent names a new Ruler.
Once a player is cursed or banished, they may not take part in any aspect of the remaining game. They are effectively ‘out.’

End Game:
1. The Demons have conquered the Kingdom of Fol when only demons and the Vicegerent remain.
2. The Denizens have succeeded in saving their kingdom when the last demon is banished.
3. Everyone quits because the Narrator is skipping everyone’s turn and a new Narrator begins a new game.

The game may be as short as two turns, or excruciatingly long- Depending on the decisions of the Ruler each turn. The pacing is meant to be fairly quick- it could conclude within a single regular day or each auspice could take a regular day. It really depends on the number people and level of activity (and attention span of the narrator).

Will the Kingdom of Fol survive or will it all be folly, after all?
Last edited by Blythe on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Seems great. Not to be 'that guy' but I could swear there were 3 Demon eyes (red moons) and not just 1 :)

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Easy fix :-)
I can adds some ‘s’ lol Appreciate it! Any feed back is great!!
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:34 pm

I’ve updated the game structure/rules - replacing moderator with narrator and described their role.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm

We really need one more person - but if no one else is brave enough to join our adventure, then I have devised a way that the Narrator can also play the Vicegerent using a randomizer (and posting the results for transparency).

How does Saturday sound for a target day to play? And since it’s our characters playing, I will post an in-character recruitment on the notice board... That way Raffe has a chance to talk to everyone about it; either in person or PM (time permitting).

If anyone has any OOC questions so far, please feel free to post them or send them to me :-)

We will have an Ooc/faq thread probably in DG discussion; along with an IC actual game playing thread in Lord Cory’s Social Hall.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 pm

What time on Saturday? We may have the usual time zone issues.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Open for timing suggestions -

To overcome our usual time zone issues, I have intended that the forum substitute any lack of in person interactions (and/or serve a record so those interactions can be shared for all of our amusements).

Again, open to suggestions as this is the beta run...
But I was thinking that it would go sorta like this:
Raffe will put up a notice to recruit players (IC in the Social Hall) - characters that wish to play will sign up.
Raffe will announce a meeting time/place - anyone not able to attend will check the notice board (that’s where he/I will communicate and keep track of the phases/actions) Anyone can/should join in that game posting in character - this can be either through long form, forum RP writing or just leaving a note (Like- I vote Cody is a demon because his hair is a funny color. Signed Raffe).

Discussion in DG between characters about Folly will follow the auspice rules (honor system) as the different phases are announced on the notice board.
Until either the demons or denizens remain.

Potentially, this could be played out ‘live’ within a dozen marcs or less if 7-9 people were all on at the same time - or depending on how long the VG, demons, Rulers take to complete their actions (which will all be posted on the notice board IC either by then or the narrator)... it could stretch out to give everyone a chance to interact.

I hope that makes sense...
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm

So everyone throw out their best times- Saturday or Sunday and I will my best to do the launch when it fits as many as possible (assuming it fits me too haha)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Saturdays for me, usually....but this Saturday we have plans to go bowling around 3p CST. So I won't be around much after that for a bit. Sundays I attend worship. But might be able to do something between Noon-4p CST that day.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”