For discussion/planning of in character game.

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Re: For discussion/planning of in character game.

Postby Blythe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm

For clarification - since we’ve had our first curse- the person being cursed will receive a narrator notification that they have been cursed during Demon Eyes and given a period of time to RP their reaction if they wish. Please stick to the details of the curse- since the demons put in all the creativity of thinking of what dreadful way you will go out.
First curse down!
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 pm

Additionally - I am considering keeping the Narrator and Vicegerent as a dual role.
Any input from yall is welcomed :) Here are my reasons -
1. The Vicegerent doesnt do much in the game, except name the Ruler at the start of each turn. He cant vote or influence the Ruler... and cannot be cursed or banished.
2. Ive found that using a randomizer (I used random.org) for the list of the population gives a tidy order to who will be Ruler - its quick and easy to keep track of. When someone on the list is out of the game, just skip to the next person. Also, as narrator and Vicegerent, there is no stake in the game except to keep it moving.

If yall think there may be ooc conflicts with this, we can discuss. But I wouldnt want anyone to sign up to play and get a minimized role - plus it gives the Narrator a little more interaction. The more yall RP, the less the Narrator needs to do (except pass information).

Thoughts?
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm fine with the Narrator being the Viceregent. As you say, they both don't interfere in the game apart from keeping it going :)
Last edited by Turcko on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Couple of questions:
1- Since this is a game that goes on mostly on the forum, would it be admin-friendly? That is, could Zeric and Miranda take part if they wished to, unlike most IG events where they would get obvious unfair advantages?

2- How are you all RPing this into DG itself? I see two scenarios in my mind, and would like to know which one makes more sense to the rest of you, or if there are others I'm not seeing.

a) Our adventurer characters know we are all playing a role playing game of pretending to be denizens of Fol. Our characters are fully aware that this is a role playing game to have fun in their real world of Trinald.

b) Someone found out a hidden section in some library with old tomes detailing the rise and fall of the Kingdom of Fol. A narrator that is not one of us players is slowly translating and recounting the episodes of Fol's history. Our adventurers are listening to these past tales, and when we interact with each others as denizens of Fol, we are not our character selves, but instead past versions of Fol's denizens and demons.

The main difference is that when Falx enters an inn and finds Cody, in scenario a) he can jokingly greet denizen Cody and gossip about demon suspicions, and Cody can jokingly bow and greet him as king Falx the Dreamer and then they both drink some ale.
In scenario b) Falx would enter the inn and discuss with Cody the latest translations made from the Follish tomes, where Falx the Dreamer King had just banished someone. They both drink some ale anyway.

Hope this didn't come out too confusing :D

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:34 pm

First question: Yes, if Zeric and Miranda felt like joining the population for an episode, that would be welcomed! I know they are really busy in putting their energy toward the game itself- so it’s not likely (but we can always remain hopeful!!)

And second question: scenario A. All characters are purposely ‘playing a game.’ And interact (so far) in good humor in their discussions and suspicions.

*and the intent is to have a good sense of humor about it all. If it gets to be where it isn’t fun or starts to feel harmful to the atmosphere, we will cease :-)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:18 am

A note for future narrators: send IC and OOC narrators notes in Forum and game PMs- that way the player and the character have the best opportunity to get thorough information in a timely manner.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Also back to Turckos question about Admin playing - since it’s an in character game, it would be highly unlikely a god/goddess would play a game like this with mortals... but it’s far more likely an NPC might take up a round to play.
(Still we all know that typically admin energy is expended in moving the game/actual story lines forward - but for RPing fun sake, of course they would be welcomed! I just can’t visusalize Raffe and Miranda plotting together as ‘demons’ in a game of play-pretend)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:05 pm

I think the gods would so dazzle any of us if they were to actually work with us in a game, that we would lose all ability to think clearly in their presence.... and if they were pretending to be demons... there would be a very real chance the "curses" would become real IG too, and not just played out...* shivers* ~Lav
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Draca
New Adventurer

Postby Draca » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Well...that sounds terriffying Lav, I kind of hope that doesn't happen.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:42 am

Another episode will be starting soon!
Depending on how well Cody recovers from whole body bruise curse ;-)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 am

Looking forward to another game! :twisted: :D
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:15 pm

It seems that some people were not clear on when the game started and what their role was - since so far, the narrator only contacted the demons.
I am thinking that when signing up, a link to your character should be included - and the narrator will contact everyone to designate roles (demon and denizen alike). Also, we can add the linky bits to the population list so y’all can find/message each other even if you’re not online or on friends list.

Any other thoughts on this?
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:36 pm

Okay, so Cody and I have been working out some kinks on the narrator end - and we’ve decided I’m going to narrate the next game.

However, we are adding a new rule.
Intuition

Basically, we have realized that in ‘live’ gameplay, Denizens have the advantage of a gut feeling to spot a deceiver. We are balancing the playing field by giving every denizen 1 opportunity to use their ‘intuition’ per GAME.

Similar to the Rogue role (which will either be revised or assume a second use) anyone (except demons) can ask the narrator the alignment of a single person in the game.
They would PM the narrator and say something like, “I want to use my intuition on Cody.” Or “What does my intuition tell me about Raffe.”
And the narrator will reply via PM and say whether you have a good/bad feeling about that person.

We hope this allows denizens to form alliances and ferret out the demons.

Remember- you CANNOT use a PM from the narrator as proof.
You can, of course, tell people you have a good/bad feeling about someone (they will probably assume you used your intuition whether or you actually have). Also, demons can say the same thing... So... trusting is always a risk. But we hope this gives the denizens a fighting chance.

Also, strategy is key for ‘normal’ folk- keep in mind that everyone is still basically good characters, pretending to be demons in disguise. *Most* of them won’t be expert liars if they are RPing true to nature. Try having more of a conversation than ‘how do you vote’ I think you’ll be surprised at how many will enjoy RPing being out on the spot ;-) and actually react.
Keep in mind: our characters are playing this game, not the players.

I will be amending some rules in the next couple of days, then post another sign up. In mean time - please discuss the above!
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:03 pm

The intuition mechanic sounds good to give the denizens some fighting chance and also promote talks between denizens.
I'm sure the demons will also have a great time with: "No really, you must trust my bad feeling about Cody, he's totally a demon! Just trust that I KNOW things!" and then behind the curtains being a demon making :twisted: Muahahahahahah

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”