Things that go Bump in the Night (contest)

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Things that go Bump in the Night (contest)

Postby Viviyana » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:36 pm

What goes bump in your nightmares? What makes you shiver? Give me your best character descriptions, monster, or scenarios. It can be in any form you want and as many entries as you want, character bio, art work, story, poem…I’ll take it all (as long as it is created by you). Contest runs until the first turn of Fall Fest. Whatever scares me the most wins!

1st place: 3K Plat
2nd place: 2K Plat
3rd place: 1K Plat

Ends October 26th at Midnight Eastern Time.

(( Overloads of gore doesn't scare me btw, and stick within DG guidelines, of course ;) ))

Zeric of Admin
'Rifterian

Re: Things that go Bump in the Night (contest)

Postby Zeric of Admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 am

A poem by Zeric
Error Establishing
Database Connection
DG is down. ZERIC!

(I don't want a prize, I just wanted to take part.)

- Z

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Think Zeric wins... Dg down would terrify ALL of us!

Peering through the darkness trying to see the light
In this place, all the same
Is it mid-day or middle of the night
Eyes straining, trying to see
Any glimpse of anything
Hearing slithering, crawling, grasping
Things that go bump in the night
Did something past my leg just slither?
or is it in my mind
In a place with no light!
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Tirith
New Adventurer

Postby Tirith » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Keep your demons, witches and beasts under the bed,
my biggest monsters all live inside my own head.
Night after night, the crippling self-doubt grows,
constantly beating myself up with these mental blows.
Time ticks by, deadlines passing,
scheduling conflicts, obligations massing.
My best is never good enough, why even try?
Volunteer to do more as my nerves all fry.
Just keep stooping, world on my shoulders,
Hold back tears, worries heavier than boulders.
Be the most valuable player, gotta wear that crown,
smile and take the burden, don't matter if I drown.
In a chorus of thank yous, I only hear the complaint
Good person isn't near enough, I'm tryin to be a saint.
Self-hatred, insecurity, I never will be free,
because my own biggest enemy will always just be me.

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am

Turcko woke up sweating as the first rays of Sunrifter pierced through the thick canopy of Verthedge Forest. It had been a nightmare ridden sleep, but then again that was his fault for sleeping so close to the Reborn Zone. He reached for a mug of ale he had concealed nearby and took a large gulp, only to spit it out right back! The surprise and horror in his face were immeasurable, for it tasted alcohol-free! A second try proved just as dull, so the rogue sadly emptied the mug into the ground, where a few worms were also waking up. They too tasted the ale and quickly fled, in their worm-like way of being quick.

He shuffled through his pack and held out a worn-out leather case. Unbuckling it revealed a few scrolls, and he removed the one labeled Milltown. Soon he had vanished to appear again in Milltown center. A short run into the nearby inn, a quick nod to the hanging demon head and he sat down shouting "Your strongest ale, please!". Venteli the innkeeper looked at him with a suspiciously miserable look. "All I have is mead. Would it do?". The rogue sighed and nodded, accepting a mug of ale that he downed half-way before spitting and coughing again "Ack! What terrible taste! Where's the alcohol?!". This time it was Venteli that sighed "There is no alcohol left in all the lands my rogue friend. It is gone. Foreeeeever!".

Turcko stormed out of the inn with great haste, reaching for yet another scroll. Branishor, Dundee, Ryndall, Caernivale... to every inn he went, every drink he tried. Innkeepers everywhere received him with a miserable look and ended with the same dreaded words "Gone. Foreeeeever!".

After much running and portalling and spitting, the rogue somehow found himself by the well in Worldbuilder Lawn. He took a bucket of water out, but somehow even that tasted alcohol-free! At that moment, Ridder Zeric himself descended from Sunrifter, a large mug of delicious looking ale in each hand. "You mortals are undeserving of the gift of alcohol. It is now the privilege of Rifterians alone. Foreeeeever!".

The God downed both mugs with a satisfied look and proceeded to zap the rogue with an alcohol-free bolt of lightning!

It was at this moment that Turcko really woke up, sweating. He immediately looked for his concealed mug of ale and took a large gulp, feeling the familiar and expected taste of ale flowing down his throat. From the Verthedge woods seemed to come a whispering voice in the wind though... "Undeserving... gone... Foreeeeever!".

The rogue shivered and hugged his mug a little.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:33 am

The worst creatures of all don't go bump in the night. They click and skitter as they scurry around. Or worse, they make no sound at all as they try to creep up on you. The only 'bump' you might hear is if they knock something over in their creepy, implacable advance. After all, they have a lot of legs to control! And even with a cluster of eyes - far too many of them for my liking - and all gleaming with a cold, inhuman intelligence, they might not notice an obstacle in their way as they fix their attention on the prey and prepare to pounce. They'll trip you with a leg, skewer you with pointed mouthparts dripping in venom, or wrap you in a shroud of silk to be consumed at their leisure.
Each turn I pray 'Gods, keep the spiders away from me!'
Asleep or awake, I tremble at the thought of an encounter with those eight-legged horrors.
I shudder at the sight of the things, shiver at just the thought of them. If they ever start making a bumping sound as they attack I'm likely to turn into a gibbering wreck!

Pallas

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:41 pm

And the winners are.........

1st place: Pallas who hit one of my phobias with spiders *shiver*
2nd place: Tirith who hit another of my biggest monsters, that crippling internal self-doubt.
3rd place: Lavender who trapped me for a moment in the blinding dark
3rd place: Turcko who scared all the inn zombies with the dreaded thought of sobriety!

Thank all for entering (and you Zeric :) )

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”