Escape at Twilight - The Return! Extended Deadline

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Pallas
Veteran

Escape at Twilight - The Return! Extended Deadline

Postby Pallas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 pm

As Sunrifter slips below the horizon bringing the twilight and creatures of the night, summer fades, making way for the cool winds of autumn -- and Fall Festival. We know you've probably been caught somewhere you shouldn't have been whilst under the cover of twilight.
Pick one of the scenarios below and regale us with your tale of heroism, foolishness, cowardice, bravery, death, etc. Tell us of a time where you barely escaped with your wits, or about a time you were so scared you can only just bring yourself to repeat what happened. Old story, new story, truth, non-truth -- we won't know the difference !!
You may share your tale through a short story or poem. Something that gives enough detail to immerse the reader in your heroic tale. This contest is open to all except officers of Twilight Serenity.

Have fun!

Rules:
Entries should maintain the spirit of Valorn using one of the presented scenerios
One entry per character
Please post submissions in this thread. Include character name and number
Deadline for entries - Wednesday November 8th noon EST 5pm GMT This deadline has been extended, in response to those who have spent so much time enjoying FallFest they left themselves little or no time for writing!
The entries will be judged shortly after the end of FallFest and the result announced in this thread.

Prizes
First prize 3000plat plus 15000 potions of choice
Second prize 2000plat plus 10000 potions of choice
Third prize 1000plat plus 5000 potions of choice

Choose one of the following scenarios

The Duberry Swamps

Follow your nose, they said, when you asked directions to this swamp. And sure enough the foul stench led you here. But now, it seems, the noxious gases which bubble from the mud have dulled your sense of direction. You've struggled through black water and oozing mud for marc after marc with no recollection of which way you've come. Even the vegetation of this benighted area seems ready to kill you should you let it. You hear the sound of creatures hopping or slithering through the festering swamps - and you suspect that some other, larger creature may be on your trail. As twilight fades to darkness you know you must find sanctuary in Dundee. Please tell us the tale of your adventures as you seek the safety of the Inn.

The Volcano Maze
You wake up coughing and face down in a pile of ash. Your heart instantly begins to race as you feel the burn in your throat and lungs. Looking around you immediately realize where you are and wonder why you had to lean so far over the edge of that hole to take a better view. Twilight was on the horizon and you should have waited for the rays of Sunrifter to return to get a better look! Peering around you see no ladder and begin to wonder why the spot you just awoke in does not look like the same place that you fell down into. Suddenly the ground trembles and you jump to your feet, surrounded in an aura of ash.
You know that an eruption of the volcano isn’t the only pending danger that you face. There are enough twists and turns within the maze to confuse even the best of navigators! Not to mention the presence of the strange creatures you can feel around you - cloaked in smoke and ash, lurking within the passages. These creatures are also aware of your presence - even if you can not see them.
Please dazzle us with the story of your daring escape from the maze!

Midnight Beach
One by one, the companions with whom you set out on this venture have disappeared. You've watched in sadness as some have been sent to a life monument by one of the creatures that infest the area, whilst others have sought the comparative safety of a niche in the cliffs with the intention of taking their rest. There is precious little to tell you how far along Midnight Beach you've strayed. In the distance lie the remains of some lost ship, but otherwise all you see are a range of cliffs, the expanse of the beach, and the waves of the shark-infested waters that pound the shoreline.
The fading rays of Sunrifter disappear into the blackened stones littering the beach as twilight falls. You hear iguanas slithering around you, and sea turtles scuttle past. The wind brings from afar the sound of pirate scouts and crab-things engaged in deadly combat. You must find refuge - and quickly! Please, tell us of your adventures as you make your way to the pub at Caernivale.

The Dark Forest
As dusk approaches you decide it is time to make camp. With Dundee far behind and Milltown out of reach before full dark, you decide a fire and some rest are in order. After finding a suitable location, the twilight begins to fade and the sounds of the forest awaken and become louder as more and more insects come to life. Roasting your latest catch over the fire, your attention is attracted to the edges of your camp by movement within the woods. You move your eyes slowly around, tilting your head slightly and it is only then that you realize all other sounds have ceased ...
If you can, would you share with us what came next ... ?

And of course, the classic (And Ellyana's personal favourite) ...

The Mayoral Basement
The wall you find yourself leaning against is coated in slime and the light here is so dim you cannot see what is emitting those moans and groans, but the shuffling is awful familiar. You light the torch in your shaking hand and the now burning flame briefly covers the putrid, rotting stench that reaches your unhappy nose. You hold out the lit torch, waving away the smell with your free hand, wondering "How did I get here? Last thing I remember it was twilight and I was just about to have an ale ...” and that is when you spot the disgruntled horde. Zombies! Everywhere ... and they are advancing on you! Tell us the story of your daring escape back to your ale!
Last edited by Pallas on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Re: Escape at Twilight - The Return!

Postby Blythe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm

(Thanks for the extended deadline!)

Mayoral Basement:

Raffe’s head ached. The dull throb did nothing to help his situation. How many ales, how many inns, this time? When Hacken suggested a pub crawl, he had no idea it would involve a wheel barrow and actual crawling… and now – THIS!

The smell was enough to bring the ale’s immediate revenge. Again, not helping his situation. The light from the torch he held danced with the shaking of his hands. The zombie hoard was closer still.

Raffe searched the immediate area for signs of his gear, or how he might have gotten down here. He was definitely alone and in the dark – neither things he would seek to do on purpose. His clothes were wet with the slime that coated the walls and he was missing his armor, boots, weapons and pack. This was not a good situation. Everything he needed to engage the snarling, rotting mass of mindless hunger heading his way was gone.

“Well…” he said to himself as he got to his feet and backed slowly down the long, dark hallway away from the zombie horde, “It looks like it’s time to improvise…”

Raffe ran forward, grabbing the closest zombie and launched him over his head with a backward somersault. Getting up quickly to move out reach of the clumbsilty reaching hands and claws of the horde, Raffe sprung onto the predator turned prey. The zombies head caved with a single punch. Luckily (?) for Raffe, he picked an especially ripe zombie. Next was the hard part. Raffe dragged the zombie farther down the hall way to give himself a little more room and time to get one of the zombies legs separated from the rest of it.

Armed – or legged, rather – Raffe charged back into the fray. The first dozen, or so, were easy. The protruding bone proved stronger than their skulls. After a while, they began to pile up; giving Raffe the advantage of high ground. Marcs continued, until his high ground of dead zombies was soon becoming a rising tide against an immovable ceiling.

Out of nowhere, a blinding light cut through the zombie horde taking both Raffe’s eye sight and footing. He tumbled backward off of his fighting perch, landing with the squish of rotting flesh under his weight. The snarling, growling of the herd had gone completely silent as the brilliant, warm light of a clerics ring shone down the gory, slimy hallway of the Mayoral Basement. Raffe looked up to the fading light and glimpsed the most beautiful cleric he had ever seen.

“Thank the gods…” he managed to groan as the clerical light completely dimmed.

“Raffe!” Her arms were around him in spite of the ever present gore that remained of his battle, “You STUPID, wonderful man!”

Fleur stayed by his side as they made their way out of the basement. Stroking his hair as they walked, she healed him and cursed him as only a wife could. But he was safe… saved by her love, as he would ever be.
Last edited by Blythe on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Re: Escape at Twilight - The Return! Extended Deadline

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm

No worrries! Deadlines been extended to Nov 8th! :)
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Yay!!
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:32 am

Found somewhere I didn't wish to be, sights and sounds that made me want to flee. The rifter was setting the stars did appear... along with glowing of eyeballs from within the deep. Darkness enclosed me from all around, as well as the echoing of every sound. Splashing, slithering, winds shifting around... I jumped at a croaking of a frog that I'd found. I trembled in my armor in this new world I had found, wanting to find my way back to town. Stumbling tying to find my way instead found a deep enough puddle for my foot in did lodge, wishing then for a staff to help dislodge myself, I whimpered with fear and tried to pull myself out, when out of the darkness everything grew eerily quiet, I stilled myself, holding my breath, something large was moving not far away. As soon as it stopped, I yanked my foot once more, lost my boot but into town I did bound. Shivering and pouting from such a display I made it to the inn. Where I was met by a warrior, a huge grin he gave me as he looked me over. Timid and shivering, a seat I found, and the grinning warrior he did leave. So there pouting and sulking about the swamp mess. More use to dancing and cushions not moss that tries to steal your breath! Next thing I know to a loud thud, the warrior no word said dropped a pair of new boots on the table, nodded fair well and went on his way. I knew then things would be alright. This world was strange, scary, and new. But the people were nice and did help me through.

Lav-http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow189001.html
Last edited by Lavender on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:39 am

Oh my! Lavender just laid down some mad rhymes...
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Volcano Maze
Turcko looked around him startled by the tremor of the ground and walls and coughed out a small cloud of ash lodged in his mouth. All he had to wash his throat with was stale ale, long forgotten in his pack, but he welcomed it nonetheless.

"Ok rogue, twilight is your friend, even in a dumbass situation like this, so focus and gather your luck. How do you get out of a maze?" he mused to himself.
He was certain that the trick was to follow a wall and always turn the same way. Or was it change ways every two turns? Perhaps leaving a trail would help, but Turcko had nothing with him that could serve such purpose...

He walked a few steps to the first intersection and had to stop and lean against a wall. Seemed the fall had left him with a twisted ankle. Alas, his misfortune didn't seem to be ending, since from the right tunnel a fireworm noticed his twisted ankle as well and was coming for the easy meal the rogue could provide.
Stumbling against the left wall he moved forward, deciding to take only left turns for no other reason than to escape the imediate threat of the fireworm.

The pain in his ankle was increasing, the stony slithering of the worm too when suddenly the next turn revealed a blue crystal guardian!
"This was not the luck I needed tonight!" the rogue grumbled while fighting the guardian to the best of his injured ability. Dispatching it put additional and uneeded strain on his injury, and when the fall revealed a glowing blue crystal, it was with a pain in his hear that the rogue had to walk away and leave it behind, for the sound of hungry fiery jaws was nearing.

"The next turn has to be the way to the exit..." he thought while his increased breathing rate caused him to inhale more ash. However the turn revealed another blue guardian, that promptly attacked him with an emotionless and inhuman face. This fight also ended in victory, although taking longer than the last. And it likewise revealed a glowing blue crystal that was also left on the hot floor of the maze in favor of the rogue's life.

The Gods must have been having a good laugh after this turn's twilight, for five more guardians appeared after five more turns and five more glowing crystals were left behind.

Somehow in the dry and ash filled air, the rogue managed to shed a single tear. Was it physical pain? The fear of being eaten alive by a giant worm? Or was it the feeling or profits lost in the terrible maze?
The next turn left revealed another being, which caused a frustrated cry from the poor rogue as he braced for battle.
"Cousin, you are also not what I wanted to find in this maze, so spare me the screaming. Word in Killican is that the crystal guardians are abundant here after twilight, and I came to see if it was true." Falx stated while looking at his rogue cousin.

Turcko couldn't help but to hug his cousin, such was his happiness. "I feel through a duct and have been chased around by an hungry fireworm. My ankle is close to giving up and I've lost count of the marcs I've been here. Please tell me you know the way out of this maze." he pleaded.
"I'm an enchanter you daft pickpocket. I know my way out of everywhere." Falx focused and the earth trembled again, this time from magical energies as a portal appeared. "There, that will take you out of here" he said, as he patted Turcko on the back.

The last thing Turcko saw before stumbling through the portal was a rat making the turn and looking at both adventurers, and his cousin's mocking grin as he asked "Was this your hungry fireworm?".

Coming through the other side of the portal, Turcko found himself looking up at the Wall, standing next to the cracked monument in the endless desert. While he screamed at the three demon eyes in the sky that seemed close to making way for Sunrifter to rise, a piece of parchment fell from his back.
"You're out cousin. Happy Fall Fest. Be careful for banditos may be near"

The rogue passed out falling face down on the sand. His last thought were to wish he would see another Twilight.

OOC: Submitted as Turcko
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for the extension :D I chose Duberry Swamp.

The Adventures of Bif and Ri. A Boy and his Gremlin.

"We hears em laugh. Sometimes they drop shinies and we takes them and run away. Never seen one, though. No. Never sees them." Said Ri, The Fall Festival Gremlin, as he rode the shoulders of his human companion through the murky waters of the swamp.

" Spooky!" observed Bif, holding onto the little fellow's skinny knees. "Cunning too. You know, playing on your very nature and everything to ensnare you. What happens to the Gremlins that do go after the Hags, do you think?"

"Dunno," replied the Gremlin, shaking his head, "Mire Hags is nasty. Ri not going in that cave."

"I know Ri. You don't have to come in the cave," Bif assured the small humanoid with a squeeze to his bony knee. "We'll find you a nice tree to sit in or something. I just wanted a buddy so I didn't get lost in the swamp. The buddy system never fails!"

"Never fails! Buddy!" Chimed Ri cheerfully in time as Bif bounced him on his shoulders.

As far as Gremlins went, Ri was rather a funny onion. Uncommonly chatty and unusually affectionate in his ways. He smelled oddly Clericky; though Bif was too polite to ever broach the subject. The Gremlin claimed to be disliked by his own kind. So, while his fellow kin were romping about the Vanguard Guildhall this fall fest, Ri found himself in the unlikely company of a human.

The pair walked in silence together through the swamps for a marc or so, the quiet occasionally broken by the croak of a frog or by the sound of something splashing into the stagnant water. No Mire Hag laughter, though Bif had never heard the sound before. He found himself straining to hear it. Maybe he wouldn't recognise it at all? Perhaps he'd mistake it for the cawing of a bird or the rustling of the reeds?

"I think this is it," Bif commented quietly as they came to an outcrop of rock in the water that heralded the entrance to the cave. Panicked Gremlin fingers dug suddenly into his hair as the small humanoid astride his shoulders began to struggle.

"Ri not go in! Ri not --!"

"Okay, Ri! Okay!" yelled Bif, swaying as he fought with the clamouring Gremlin, prizing skinny arms from their death lock about his head as he pointed, "You can wait in that tree, look!"

The gangly Enchanter stumbled through the waters, still half-blinded by an agitated Gremlin. Ri pounced from his shoulders scampered easily up the body of the bare tree all too readily as they neared. He hugged protectively it's gnarled trunk and turned fearful eyes back down at the human he left standing in the water.

Bif met the Gremlins wide gaze and sighed, reaching into his coat pocket. "The cave isn't all that big. I won't be long, chap. Here, have some candy while you wait." He offered, holding a crinkled paper bag out to Ri. The Gremlin relinquished his hold on the tree in favour of snatching the bag of candy and Bif smiled as Ri's countenance relaxed.

The rustling of Ri's paper bag could be heard faintly over his shoulder as he stepped into the mouth of the cave. Inside was putrid, dank and still, and a sudden gust of wind blowing into his face from within came unexpected. Bif yelped a small scream and then paused a step, snorting a small laugh at his own foolishness.

"Just the wind," he mused to himself as he took another pace inside. And then again. That same, unexpected blast of foul air from within. This time he was sure; sure that when it hissed passed his ear it spoke,

"Take it'sssss fingerssssss!!"

Bif froze. Whipping his head back around to follow the trail of the voice. The swamp outside was as still as ever, save for the curling of fog above the water and the swing of Ri's legs from the tree branch where he sat and ate. He blinked and shook his head. A Fall Fest trick. Overactive imagination, that was all. Ri didn't look distressed; cheeks packed full with candy. And Ri's Gremlin-ears were likely far more sensitive than Bif's own. He surely would've heard.

Again, he shook his head and continued once more inside. Only to be immediately startled again by a moaning swamp zombie. He choked on a gasp and clutched at his chest, silently cursing himself now for his own stupidity: Hearing voices on the wind and now near screaming over zombies. Overactive imagination, indeed! And the Zombie wasn't even paying him any mind as it morosely pawed the muddy walls of the cave. It's face was like a puddle; where all of it's orifices had melded into one. Bif swallowed down a wave of nausea and continued boldly on.

He retraced his steps from memory and found the witches place empty. He searched the room quickly, ghostlight giving off an eerie glow and chasing shadows into corners. In fact, there was no evidence of a Mire Hag ever being here. No even a solitary Mire gem littered the floor. Bif's brow knitted as he crossed the room swiftly to the stairs that led deeper into the cave. His foot had just touched the first step when a cry from above cause him to halt. The wind again? Overactive imagination? Bif was just about to snort again in self-admonition when the cry came again, louder and more desperate than before.

Ri?!

He tore from the room, knocking shoulders with the Zombie who moaned louder as he passed. Panting and splashing out into the dark, legs tangled in swamp ivy, Bif lifted his panicked gaze to the gnarled tree to find it empty. The discarded paper candy bag floated on the surface of the still, moonlit water. The swamp was hushed, undisturbed and silent.

"Ri! Riii!!!" Bif's voice rang out hoarse into the mist. He waded quickly toward the dead tree to look helplessly around it's trunk. "Ri?!" He called again, hysteria coloring his tone as he began to whimper and then shamelessly snivel in the dark.

And then all at once, in the silence of the swamp, another noise rose up to join Bif's sobs. It was a sound like icy water: One that could not be mistaken for the cawing of birds or the rustling of reeds. A sound like hail, and creaking doors, and naked tree branches thrashing in the wind: It was the unmistakable sound of a Mire Hag laughing.

Like the bark of an old, sad dog, it grew in ferocity as another Hag joined it. Soon it would sound as though the whole of the swamp were laughing at the wet-faced boy, who clutched at the trunk of a dead tree with white fingers. His feet were numb beneath the water; his brain was numb too. His eyes wide and watery as he stared out into the gloom.

The laughter cut out like the slamming of a door and the darkness seemed to press in more heavily than before. Bif was alone. He never called out again, knowing that neither Ri, nor the Hags, were there to hear him.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Oh and I would like to add... that my story was done WHILE being half out of it from an epic workout! Did my best dead lift EVER yesterday...so yeah. ROFL. Thanks Raffe for reminding me to write something, meant to do so earlier but like has been said so much going on for Fall Festival and RL I just didn't sit down to do it!
Lavender

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Bif - you're gonna make me cry :-(
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Loki Jester
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Loki Jester » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Midnight Beach

One by one, the companions with whom you set out on this venture have disappeared. You've watched in sadness as some have been sent to a life monument by one of the creatures that infest the area, whilst others have sought the comparative safety of a niche in the cliffs with the intention of taking their rest. There is precious little to tell you how far along Midnight Beach you've strayed. In the distance lie the remains of some lost ship, but otherwise all you see are a range of cliffs, the expanse of the beach, and the waves of the shark-infested waters that pound the shoreline.

The fading rays of Sunrifter disappear into the blackened stones littering the beach as twilight falls. You hear iguanas slithering around you, and sea turtles scuttle past. The wind brings from afar the sound of pirate scouts and crab-things engaged in deadly combat. You must find refuge - and quickly! Please, tell us of your adventures as you make your way to the pub at Caernivale.

"So you wish to hear the tale of what happened while in Midnight Beach do you? Oh well lets see... I remember everything pretty vivid! Some names a blur but I'll correct myself in the end, it happened something like this..." The dramatic warrior says while making his way toward the pub at Caernivale, with a bunch of adventurers and other villagers.

It was in the middle of noon, the sunrifter's light had turned the sky into a molting and yet beautiful color of orange and pink mixture among the dark blue skies, the view of the ocean line from where I stood was quite fascinating, the smell of the salty waters passed through the breeze with ease, especially during this time of Fall's becoming. If memory serves me right, I wasn't alone, there were other adventurers, though at the time, there beside me was Cody Fireblade, him and his wear with two silver bunny ears upon his head--

"Hold on.. wait a sec, not that's not right. Let me repeat;"

I wasn't alone, there were other adventurers, though at the time, there beside me was Aryanna Moonsong- "There we go"; her and all her wear with two silver bunny ears upon her head. We were checking out the lovely view, everything was peaceful, I can't recall what I was talking about with her, but I do remember something about Ale-- Wait that was it! SummerBerry Ale would be missed. Aryanna knew it was one of my favorites. Waiting two more seasons just for the beauty's of the Berry to regrow for better ale produce was difficult, but being a Warrior, I know that patience is a virtue. Me and my Guildmate's conversation was cut short when a very loud and disturbing screech startled every creature on the beach, I could have sworn I felt the vibrations on my bare feet... yeah, I wasn't wearing any boots, but that doesn't mean I didn't bring them with me!

It didn't take too long for a horde of all types of evil creatures to come running, they broke away the party we were having, disturbing every single thing, even knocking down the food that we had packed for a Midnight Beach party! Everything was in ruins because of these creatures. Where had they even come from? Everything was so calm until then.. and I tell you what, these were creatures like no other, they looked like your normal sharks but they were bigger, scarier. I, being the Warrior I am raised the moral of my friends, WE could NEVER be defeated!

And so the battle was on, I created many salves for the wounded and struck when I needed to. Every single adventurer was fighting, and Aryanna provided the battle music with her rhythmic humming. Viviyana appeared too! She was fighting victoriously. Zanaan and all his glory struck a shark with one of his poison daggers, his attire sparkled like twinkling stars in the night, I believe it provided light for us all too. We were winning, but somehow things were turning around.. the creatures that were knocked down were getting back up. Somehow there just wasn't enough potions to go around, not enough Clerics awoke or something, I don't know what happened. Adventurers were falling, I couldn't believe my eyes. We were outnumbered, I called out for the names of many with force of a shout and strain in my voice, "ARYANNA!" As soon as I said her name, she was stabbed.. and dispersed into nothingness, the Life Monument plucking every single adventurer to save the lives of the fallen.

At some point, I couldn't move... the shock was unreal, eyes were open wide and stung from tears threatening to come, but I didn't allow them. I wouldn't dare drop my Ultimate Weapon, but for some reason these creatures wasn't attacking me, they were attacking the others, "Why.. why was this happening?" I thought out loud. "Cody no, WATCH OUT!" But the warning was a little too late, the Life Monument saved him too. Short of a party, this was the worst thing that could have happened. Thank goodness for Scooter the Puppy, he whispered in my ear in dog language and I understood him clearly, we needed to hide at least to regain our strength! So the rest of us ran off to a nearby niche in the cliffs, where no monsters were, the swarm looked as if they were leaving anyway but it was hard to tell.

I seemed to have the only one with energy, so I decided to be the lookout, for when any monsters find their way to our safe zone. Strange enough, there weren't any monsters near, so I decided to walk further on the beach, losing track of marcs, there was something at the edge of the water. A small bark made me realize that Scooter was with me, I didn't want him to be... but I didn't mind it at all either. The 'something' was a ship, a pirate ship, which means this was a different foe from before.

The pup was frightened by iguanas which slithered near, hissing as they did. These creatures were the pets of Pirate Scouts, who had made it to land from the nearby ship, they were chuckling and talking, "Pup Stew and a Limb for our tummies." Is what one of them said, he had a crooked tooth and a crooked face with a crooked smile and a crooked walk, they SPOTTED US! And we ra--

"Wait hold on.. that's not how it went! I REMEMBER NOW! Let me re-explain. Where were we?"

So me and Scooter witnessed a ship and iguanas, the pup was pretty scared by it, but the pirates paid us no attention.. they were talking and fighting amongst each other and crabs-things, talking about how they were going to tare them limb from limb to eat. This could have been a dangerous situation, me and Scooter needed to find refuge and quick! Now this pup, this pup is brilliant, he whispered in my ear and came up with the best idea ever! To dress as a pirate and have the others do the same. Thank the Gods and Shadows that we were able to find lingering pirate gear, Midnight beach had a lot of pirate gear.

We took them, and wore them like a costume, it was as if we were putting on a show for a play! Fortunately, Zanaan was there--

"Oh I didn't mention that earlier? Well yeah, ZANAAN WAS WITH ME AND SCOOTER!"

Zanaan and all his stylish ways helped us get really fancy, the pirates seen us as shinies, and decided that they would help us if we help cook up some crab-things. This was easy, because you see, I, Loki J. am a master chef. We used our weapons to rid of the strange sea and crab-creatures, I struck down with one blow and they blew away as if a gust of strong winds carried them, Scooter did this mighty bark that sent the crabs in a state of confusion, and like a team, I followed by giving the crabs a smirk and they hopped onto their backs and laid dead. I think that the outfits played a part in this, Zanaan's wear is shiny, glorious and DEADLY.

And THAT my friend, is how we made it safely out of the Midnight Beach, we collected supplies, made some pirate buddies, gathered the other adventurers who were trying to regain their strength; after finding them of, course, and THEN made it home with our new pirate buddies, who didn't stick around too long,

"Oh and I almost forgot, we actually found treasure and the Gods! Miranda and Zeric were there! And we partied and shared 'interesting' and unique stories, but I'll save that part of the story for a later turn." Loki says this with a wink following, and a cunning grin.

"The End!"
Ridder Zeric of Admin says "[Broadcast] **looks at the fact 14 hours have passed on the clock** Oh. That explains why I'm tired. **collapses**"

Loki Jester

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Hahaha Loki! Talk about a taaaallll tale! Love it!
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Loki Jester
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Loki Jester » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Chuckles, "Thank you Raffe for reminding me of this contest! My memory otherwise would have failed me to." :roll: "I enjoyed reading everyone's stories and poems!"
Ridder Zeric of Admin says "[Broadcast] **looks at the fact 14 hours have passed on the clock** Oh. That explains why I'm tired. **collapses**"

Loki Jester

Cody F
Social Leech

Postby Cody F » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Personally I think I would rock silver ears :mrgreen:

thunderdrune
New Adventurer

Postby thunderdrune » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:31 am

I walked quickly and deliberately through the trees and brambles of the dark forest, the last slivers of light were beginning to fade and I was hoping this shortcut would get me back to Milltown before nightfall. "stupid, stupid Eiddew" I scolded myself as I walked "she must have reminded you a dozen times". Sojourner had reminded me that morning to not forget my pouch of powder as I left for my daily training, but listening and remembering were never my strongest qualities, no powder meant no teleportation and now I found myself actually having to use my feet and walk home through the woods.
my shortcut was turning out to not be so short and I was running out of time, "which way was it? right?.......no left!" I looked around me for any kind of clue or landmark I recognized "tree, tree, tree...TREE! UHG!! EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME!!!" I yelled in frustration kicking the nearest tree than hobbling on my now aching foot. I sighed "sorry about that" I said to the tree as I leaned against it "that's a heck of a thing for me to do, come into your home than kick you for no reason............your talking to a tree Eiddew" I breathed out heavily and slid down its trunk to the ground. the final rays of light faded behind the trees and with it any chance of me navigating my way out of these woods. I decided the best thing to do would be to set up camp and hunker down for the night, maybe when the Rifter came back up I would be able to find my way. I found a comfortable clearing and got to work.
getting a small fire going was not too difficult thanks to my fire staff and a passing armadillo served the purpose of making an easy meal, its shell even made a convenient pot to cook the meat in. after finishing my meal I leaned closer to the fire and gazed deeply into it, the warm dancing flames were hypnotic and soothing and I soon found my eyes getting heavy and my head beginning to nod.
Before I could drift off something snapped me back awake, it wasn't really a thing more of a feeling. the air was oppressive and heavy, it had already been pitch black outside the light of my fire but at this moment the forest seemed even darker, but the most disturbing part was the silence. moments ago the woods had been alive with sound, distant howls, scurrying animals, rustling trees, but now it was just dead not even a breeze moved the air. I scooted a little closer to the comfort of the fire trying to shake of the unexplained feeling of dread that began creeping into my chest, and that's when I heard it. "Eiddew, come over here" it was sojourners voice coming from out in the darkness of the woods, she must have come out searching for me! "aww did you get worried about me sweetheart?" I said trying to use my best joking, I wasnt scared at all voice as I got up and began walking quickly towards her voice. right at the edge of the circle of light from my fire I stopped, I couldn't explain it but my feet didn't want to step outside of the light, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and that feeling of dread began to rise inside me again. "this is ridiculous" I thought to myself, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I shouldn't leave the light.
I took a few steps back towards the fire, "uh...hey sojo why don't you come over here, I cant see you" it was silent for few moments than I heard another voice some where in the woods to my left. "Eiddew, come over here" it was my buddy Draca, or at least it sounded like him. I backed up a few more steps, I don't know why but I was sure whatever was out there it wasn't Draca or sojourner, but what was out there using their voices?
suddenly the woods were alive with noises, voices, the voices of friends and people I recognized from town, all calling me to leave the light and come to them. the noise was reaching deafening levels, I covered my ears trying to block it out until finally I had had enough of this game, I was going to see who was trying to trick me. I raised my staff and cast an enchantment of light, it flooded the clearing and several feet out into the nearby trees. I heard scurrying and chattering as whatever had been hiding tried to escape the light, I managed to glimpse shadows and shapes but couldn't get a good look at the.....things.
my light started fading, I looked in surprise and horror as my enchantment began to weaken and waver. it was like the dark itself was actively pushing back my magic, one thing was certain I couldn't stay here. I focused and concentrated and managed to keep a circle of light of a few feet around me, than I picked a direction and started running. I could hear the trees and bushes all around me shaking and rustling with the movement of my pursuers, I didn't try to look behind me I just ran. than I noticed something off in the distance, it was light, the light of Milltown! I quickened my pace and ran for the light for all my worth, my lungs burned and my legs ached but I didn't slow down. my foot found a tree root and I found myself tripping forward onto my face and tumbling across the ground. I quickly pushed myself up to my knees just as I heard a quick scurrying coming right up behind me. I turned around as quick as I could and blasted flames from my staff at the oncoming noise. in the burst of firelight I saw a hand, dark, gnarled, and clawed, I saw thrashing and I heard screams and screeches of pain and that's all I needed or wanted to see. I got to my feet and ran with all my might until I burst through the tree line, I practically dived through the gates off milltown falling down on the ground in the town square. I looked around and dusted myself off "glad no one was around to see that" I said to myself "I'm never walking home again" and with that I made my way to the inn.

Draca
New Adventurer

Postby Draca » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 am

Draca was racing down the hall of the Volcano maze with, whatever those shadow things are, chasing after him. His face was dripping with sweat from the heat of the volcano, his lungs and eyes felt like they were on fire from the ash and dust. As he ran he felt another rumble and thought he could see the glow of fresh molten lava spewing from the Volcanos peak; this was bad this was very, very bad. “Why in the blazes did I ask Eiddew to show me around Kilican? More importantly why did he smack my back so hard when he knew how close I was to the edge of that hole?! I swear I am going to make him pay once I get out of this!” Draca thought to himself as he raced along the path he was following.
The longer he ran the more of those things appeared. Not to mention his sight and breathing were getting worst thanks to the ash and smoke thickening as the volcano spewed more and more fiery lava. He spared a quick glance behind him to see how many of those things were still chasing him when he ran into something, something hard. As he stumbled backward and placed a hand on his now ringing head he tried to figure out what he ran into. His blurred vision from his crash and the ash made it difficult to discern what he had hit.
However, when he looked up he found himself staring at a tall stonewall, as he looked more closely he notices that he had a wall on either side of him. He quickly looked around for a way to escape and saw that only a few steps behind him was another path, the only problem was some of his pursuers had caught up with him. Draca grumbled, “Eiddew, I swear if I survive this maze I am going to kill you when I see you again.” He drew his transparent alloy axe and scarab shield to fend off the few creatures that had caught up and made his way down the new path. He continued this pattern for a time all the while the number creatures pursuing him increased as his potion supply continued to dwindle along with his ability to keep moving.
The longer he went fighting and flying from his pursuers his whole body was getting weaker and weaker. Every step he took was getting shakier and shakier, and he was continually finding it harder to lift his axe and shield to fight back with. On top of everything else the longer he ran blindly through the maze the more lost and confused he became. Eventually he came to a dead end and all but collapsed against the wall as he leaned against it to try and catch his breath, which was only made more difficult by the ash and dust still clouding the air. He quickly drank the last of his potions as he prepared himself to make his last stand against the creatures. As their cries echoed through the hall he took a defensive stance, steadied his breathing and waited for his pursuers to arrive.
When they arrived, it was like Draca was looking at a wall of shadows and ash with ghostly hands reaching out for him and their wailing sent a shiver down his spine that almost made him lose his nerve. He shook it off and braced himself for the assault, a half-hearted chuckle escaped his lips as he thought. “Well I did say I would get out of this maze…I had just hoped it would be in a far less painful manner.” Once the first of the shadow creatures were close enough Draca let out a fierce war cry and began the deadly dance of combat with it. He managed to quickly dispatch the beast as he turned his attention and axe to the next. As he fought the volcano’s eruption became more violent as it spewed more ash and smoke as well as fire and lava.
It eventually became so intense that it lit up everything making it easier for Draca to see his surroundings, but the unrelenting and merciless heat was zapping away his strength making it harder for him to but up much of a fight. Yet, he didn’t stop he kept fighting with every ounce of strength he could muster. In fact, is someone had been watching the fight they would almost think he had only just started the fight instead of being on his last leg. Wield his axe and shield, ablaze with the glow of the volcano’s eruption, with the same ferocity and determination as any warrior before him. However, he was fading and fast. Despite his best efforts to fight the shadow creatures off there were just too many now and their never-ending assault was taking its toll on him.
Eventually one was able to land a crippling blow to his side causing Draca to falter allowing another creature to strike a heavy blow to his head. Draca could feel his legs give out under him as he crumbled from the second blow and the darkness was starting to creep in. As his vision was just about to go dark he saw the creatures preparing to strike the killing blow when a strange blue light suddenly appeared, then there was nothing but darkness. Draca wasn’t sure how long he stayed in the darkness. He had expected to return to the life monument fully healed from the reformation process, but it hadn’t happened he was still drifting in the darkness and it was starting to scare him.

Had his life monument failed? Was he dead once and for all this time? His heart began to race as he started to panic. “Wait…If my heart is racing then I still have to be alive, right?” Then he started to hear something. It sounded like voices calling out to him, they were distant and muffled, but as time passed they became clearer and he thought he recognized them.
One was a woman’s voice it held a concerned but soothing tone to it and the other was a man’s and it was the man’s voice that started to bring Draca back to his senses because the owner of said voice was someone he had feared he never see again and one he very much wanted to pummel into the ground. “Hey, look I think he’s waking up. Draca? Buddy can you hear me?” Eiddew drew closer to Draca to see if his childhood friend would finally open his eyes after several marcs of him being passed out. “Sit back Eiddew! Give him some air!” Ayla, Draca’s guild leader, ordered.
Eiddew quickly sat back but remained close to Draca. As Draca began to slowly open his eyes he was greeted with the two relieved smiles of his guild-sister along with his oldest friend. Eiddew gave a relieved sigh and with one of his signature grins said, “Phew, heh heh I have to say Buddy you had us worried there for a bit I thought you were going to disappear on us and we’d have to go figure out what life monument you were attached to.” Draca gave Eiddew an exhausted glare and tried to say something but thanks to all the ash he had breathed in started to have a coughing fit. Ayla laid a comforting hand on Draca’s shoulder as she gave him some water to drink to help with the cough.
While he drank she turned to Eiddew and began to berate him about how all of this was his fault and that she couldn’t believe that he would do something so foolish as to shove Draca into the hole that lead to the Volcano maze. “Honestly did you even consider what would happen to him while he was in there?! Even if he is attached to a life monument that was a foolish and dangerous and you shouldn’t have put him through that EIddew!” Ayla declared forcefully as she defended her guild-mate. Eiddew gave her one of his typical “what’s the big deal” looks and said. “What?
He’s here. He’s alive. I don’t see what the big deal is. I mean right Draca?” He turned to Draca as did Ayla waiting to hear his response. A tired but none the less evil smirk crossed his face as he looked over at Ayla and said in a very hoarse voice, “Ayla if you wouldn’t mind, I’m too tired right now to show Eiddew how irritated I am with him. If you would please continue to berate him, maybe even pound him a little I would greatly appreciate it?” Ayla gave Draca a somewhat aghast look as she said, “Draca I will not pound on your best friend.”
A slightly disappointed look crossed Draca’s face while Eiddew let out another relieved sigh. Ayla then grabbed Eiddew’s ear and gave it a twist before saying, “But I plan to berate him for a quite a while now.” Eiddew gave a whimpering protest while Draca simply laid back to enjoy the show and was just happy that his friends were there for him when he needed them.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Ooohh... that's some SERIOUS competition!

Great stories y'all! :D I enjoyed all the entries and do not envy the TS for having to pick winners!
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 pm

I completely agree with Raffe! Awesome stories!
Lavender

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Well I am super impressed. Will have to read them all a couple more times and consult with Pallas. Great job all - and thanks for the quality stories! :)
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks for the wonderful entries! I'd hoped to take a closer look over them all this past weekend, but RL got in the way of my plans. Results will be posted ASAP.

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”