Crafter's Challenge 2017

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Crafter's Challenge 2017

Postby Viviyana » Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Crafter’s Challenge 2017

Earn the tools to do your trade!

This year the terms are much like last year, only instead of an item you will be earning the tools or materials needed to practice your craft.

Everyone is good at something. Crafts can come in all shapes and sizes: carving, pottery, painting, planting, mixing, brewing, writing, singing, acting, cooking, baking, juggling, and more.

This is not a contest where only a few will win, if you put in the effort and earn 100 points you have won the challenge. In fact, supporting other's efforts to create their items will only help you earn yours!

This challenge is meant to be for everyone! If all your characters are miserably unskilled....create a new one! If you the player is unskilled, youtube is your friend. No time like the now to do some RP research.

It was designed in the hopes of giving everyone a chance, so if you have a talent (or have always wanted to RP that talent) and don't think it will fit in, please ask me and we can brainstorm a way!

Deadline: June 30th, 2017 Midnight Eastern.

Details:

One entry PER CHARACTER ( Just be respectful and don't create a bunch of alts to play with each other and exist for the sole purpose of getting an item ;) )

The objectives of this contest is to share your knowledge and love of your medium with the world. Unlike last year you do NOT have to create a specific item, simply practice your craft and share it with others.

This contest will be judged on a point system as follows.
(( Explanations for each can be found below.))

• RP a scene involving your craft - 5 points
  • Involve another person/s in that scene - 5 points
  • RP a scene with someone involving their craft (unrelated to your craft) - 5 points
  • Announce and hold a demonstration or event with your craft - 30 points
  • Attend a demonstration or event on another person’s craft - 10 points
  • Description of your tools. - 20 points (required, obviously)

**RP a scene involving your craft - 5 points**

This is the actual creation of your thing, or a rehearsal for your play, or gathering research for a tome by interviewing, or practicing a performance, etc. ( Save a partial log and send it along for proof, if you don’t have the ability to save logs, just describe what you did. )

**Involve another person or persons in a scene - 5 points**
( 5 points total per scene, not per person. So if you involve three people in the scene it is five points for all of them. )

Enlist another person to help rp out making an item, or gather actors to rehearse, or even meet up with someone to trade for materials for your craft. This should be organic rp.

**RP a scene with someone involving their craft (unrelated to your craft) - 5 points**

NEW THIS YEAR: Rping other's crafts gets you points towards yours. So even if their craft is unrelated to yours just rping about their craft will earn you 5 points towards yours.

**Announce and hold a demonstration or event with your craft - 30 points**

This is to teach others about your crafts, or involve them in it in some way. So if you are writing a play, for instance, you could hold a casting call. A brewer could have a brewing class, or even an ale tasting event. A weaver can teach about dying wool, and so on. Because we know how things go, you get the points even if no one makes it to the event, you still did your part! The event does, however have to be officially announced on the notice board.(( You do NOT get 5 extra points for each attendant, just 30 regardless of who shows up..))

**Attend a demonstration or event on another person’s craft - 10 points**

Support your fellow crafters, go to an event, learn something new and participate.

** Description of your tools. - 20 points**

This is the actual special 'item' that you wish admin to make. What tools are you seeking as a reward? A sewing box full of needles and thread? A vat to brew your ale? A set of carving tools? Fortune-telling cards? Some mixing bowls and measuring cups? All items need to be submitted early for approval from admin.

To Enter:

Sign up below with name and craft, then go out and have fun! If you are a more private type you can shoot Viviyana off a pm as well.

Let me know of tasks as you complete them (Message Viviyana through the forums), and I will keep a record of points earned. (Keep a record yourself as well, of course.)

(( The fine print: These are for rp purposes only. They won't actually magically create anything ;)

Items will not be created until after the close of the contest (even if you finish early). Admin has the right to edit the description if needed. Icons for items are not promised. Please be patient while admin creates the items. Who knows what other stuff they might have going on at that time :) ))

A huge thank you to all the many minds that worked on this idea and for admin for their willingness to bring your creations to 'life'

A bit of clarifications on the point system:

Scenario 1

Topaz shows Zarock (who isn't doing smithing) how to do smithing type things.

Topaz gets 10 points...5 for her and 5 for including Zarock.

Zarock gets 5 points for expanding his knowledge in crafting in general.

Scenario 2

Drecq and Bris get together to swap advice and work on their smithing together. Drecq shows Bris some things, Bris shows Dreq some things.

Drecq gets 10 points...5 for himself and 5 for Kenji

Bris gets 10 points...5 for himself and 5 for Drecq

( This was deliberately designed to encourage learning a craft or teaching a craft. If you rp out helping someone learn their craft you both get 10 points each session.)

Scenario 3

Ellyana hosts a hair piece making event, she officially announces it, sets a time and date and makes it open to everyone.

Bris attends the event that has nothing to do with his craft.

Ellyana gets 30 points for hosting an official event.

Bris gets 10 points for supporting his fellow crafter.

Possible Point Combination

Description: 20 points
Announced Demonstration: 30 points
Attend 2 people demonstration: 10 points x 2 = 20
RP out two scenes of your craft with another person: 10 points x 2 = 20 (5 pts for you, 5 pts for the other person each)
Help another with THEIR scene: 5 points
RP out a solo scene perfecting your craft: 5 points

There is 100 points! See, easy right? Of course this is not the combination YOU have to use ;)

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Re: Crafter's Challenge 2017

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 am

I love the fact that this is returning this year! Of course as you know blacksmithing for a proper hammer to forge with.

Hammer of the Dragon: The blacksmiths hammer has a shaft made from Verthedge wood and smoothed over with a clear finish. The hammer itself is forged from reinforced black steel from the Eastern mountains. This hammer gets it's name from the bottom of the shaft as it doubles as a stamp due to a dragon being emblazoned on it.
Last edited by Brisingr Blaze on Wed May 24, 2017 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

bibi onyx
Adventurer

Postby bibi onyx » Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 am

Woo Hoo! ((As always, I am happy to RP with anyone who would like to share knowledge and earn points. Even if our characters don't know each other, there could be an IG introduction.))

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Fri May 19, 2017 6:29 am

Time permitting Ivan Will be perfecting his wood carving skills, hoping to get a carving knife. The basalt ones he uses keep dulling and are next to impossible to sharpen.

Argoth having recently taken up stone masonry will be trying for a set of hammer and chisel.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

I never finished Bif's geology project that he began for his Quarrus List, so I might finish that! So we'll be trying for a geology kit.

I might do something with one of my alts if time permits. Either for:
Barber/hair stylist kit - Jobe Thaniel Steward.
Knitting needles and yarn - Elenoire Rosefinch.
Or
Whatever I wind up doing for 'alt collective'.
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Fri May 19, 2017 5:35 pm

Planting / gardening. Thinking to have a laid back little event where those who participate plant a seed or tiny plantling of a Sunrifter flower in a parchment cup - both of which Elly will provide. Then over the weeks I hope to ask people how their little flower is coming along etc. =)

(Obviously these are like a sunflower - we have Sunrifter flowers growing in the TS gardens)

Not sure what would be an appropriate item. Perhaps a nicely decorated case of various gardening tools. I'll post more once I have the description and can hold a planting type event.

(Feel free to message / use Elly when she is awake for any help / RP needed regarding your event(s). I'll do what I can.)
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Great minds think alike, Brisingr. I was thinking about a hammer also.

Anello
New Adventurer

Postby Anello » Mon May 22, 2017 7:03 pm

*A muscular fellow reads the announcement and frowns. His calloused hand rubs his stubble-lined chin before he gives a surly "hrmph" and adds his own entry.*

Anello

Craft - Blacksmith

Tool desired - Blacksmith Apron

Description - A full length bos-leather apron. It might have been brown once, but the soot and sparks from the forge have seasoned it to an ashen grey. It loops over the neck and ties in the back. Narrow pockets on the chest contain specialty tools like mandrels, chisels and drifts. A double strap of leather at the hip holds a small ball-peen hammer.

Character #195130

Tess Weaver
New Adventurer

Postby Tess Weaver » Tue May 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Along with the standard spider silk and bunnyfuz, I will be experimenting with different sources of animal and plant fiber, to spin them into thread and, if possible, weave samples of cloth. For this research I would like a new drop spindle:

Carefully carved out of Verthedge wood and polished to a smooth surface, the drop spindle holds raw silk or other fiber at one end, with loops to thread it along the spindle until it emerges, under the hand of a skilled spinner, as a fine and even thread.

Tess Weaver

Telmacha
New Adventurer

Postby Telmacha » Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 pm

I will be doing (and learning) the design and making of clothing. (I do my own dresses, *smile* but tunics and suits are the same principle.) If you would like a design, feel free to ask, and I plan to have a party.

I would like a dress-maker's needle. (Description by PM.)

Character #189350.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Anyone who wears armor should be able to maintain and repair such equipment (or know someone who does). Topaz will be hosting an Armor Repair workshop at the Shieldwall Forge (date to be announced). Bring whatever needs repairing, or join us to share your own techniques for armor construction, repair, and maintenance.

Topaz

Zelele
Adventurer

Postby Zelele » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:05 am

Music is craft, yes. Will teach music of other home.

Zelele

Telvonus
New Adventurer

Postby Telvonus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:21 pm

If music be a craft, so is poetry.
And count not Telvonus from the lists.

:)

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:19 am

I'm kicking around the idea of extending the deadline on this, is there anyone out there that would like to do a project but doesn't feel that they can make the current deadline? (June 30th)

Also a huge shout out to Shieldwall for their wonderful participation! I'm sorry I can't be around more for events this year :(

Telvonus
New Adventurer

Postby Telvonus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 pm

I am feeling that the 30th will be a little tight.

I've done one course, but may need to do two more.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:28 pm

I haven't even had a chance to start. And I can't even tell you how WTF life is at the moment so if you're extending it great - maybe I'll have a chance.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:32 am

Don't forget that Summerfaire is starting. While an extension of the deadline would be very nice, it will kind of double up on trying to schedule things- if that makes sense.

Not saying don't do it, just saying be aware of the overlap.
:-)
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Tess Weaver
New Adventurer

Postby Tess Weaver » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Perhaps just an extra weekend? Summerfaire does not start until the Wednesday after that weekend.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Okay, fair enough. Extended to the 5th.

Pallas gets an extension beyond that because there needs to be a determination made on his project :)

Thanks all!

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Considering I can manage to get the 30 points this turn that I'm still missing, Argoth's items may have the following descriptions.

Scenario 1: Just one item of Hammer+Chisel to equip in the weapon slot
Holy Stone Work Hammer and Chisel: A hammer fashioned after the Holy Battle Hammers of Branishor, this one appears smaller and less suited for battle. The head has a larger and polished base and a crimson 'M' engraved in it. The matching chisel has a pointed end enchanted to never dull and the head has a blue 'Z' engraved in it.

Scenario 2: Two items, the Hammer to go in the weapon slot and the Chisel to go in the shield slot
Holy Stone Work Hammer: A hammer fashioned after the Holy Battle Hammers of Branishor, this one appears smaller and less suited for battle. The head has a larger and polished base and a crimson 'M' engraved in it.

Holy Stone Work Chisel: A chisel for stone work, this one has a pointed end enchanted to never dull. The head of the tool has a blue 'Z' engraved in it.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”