Alt Collective, Take 2

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Alt Collective, Take 2

Postby Topaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:29 am

Three people have expressed interest -- Bifrost, Kaballoi, and I.

So we need to agree if possible on a shared background -- that's the part of this whole thing I find really attractive. I have to say I'm with Kaballoi about the Explorer's Guild, but if we could find something else we all liked ...

bibi onyx
Adventurer

Re: Alt Collective, Take 2

Postby bibi onyx » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 am

My time is becoming more limited due to the season, but I am definitely interested in a "runner up" idea...

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 am

Over on the other post, Kabs said (I guess I should be moving over here :lol:)

I am partial to the high mountain range, a short step from the rain forest. Would be interesting to have a group of folk highly influenced by the centaurs and the ice gnomes, though cave bears could be interesting let alone the giants of Altitan.

Ooo! That sounds pretty neat. Like, at constant quarrell with the Centaur tribes? Or do they admire them for their prowess? Maybe the tribe had horses until the Centaur killed em all?

With the Explorers League idea, what/where will they be exploring?
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Luther Ghest
New Adventurer

Postby Luther Ghest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Is this open to all? I'm just level 6...

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Sure you can! We're all making new characters to play this out anyways :)
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Luther Ghest
New Adventurer

Postby Luther Ghest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Well then I'm in! Although, I know not of the explorers thing.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I'd love to join in as well. However, just when I thought RL was going to cut me some slack it got more hectic than ever :(

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Although the original idea was to start together with the same background, at level 6 you could probably slide in seamlessly.

Re: explorers, we would be discovering all the mysteries of Valorn unknown to us. We could concentrate on Golden Age mysteries, but even without those we'd probably find enough to keep busy. We'd have to decide on where we were from, that we wouldn't know a lot of that stuff already. Perhaps Ethucan?

Bifrost, we seem to have widely differing tastes, as the centaurs don't appeal to me at all. I'd like to suggest:

1. People from Kilican who are NOT pirates but are a secluded group, either in the lemon groves, the beach, or (my preference) on the slopes of the volcano. They could have a combined fear and worship of fire and fiery creatures. (Easily translated into a devotion to Miranda.) If craftspeople, they could lean toward fire-aspected crafts -- metalwork, armoring, smithing, and also cooking, candlemaking, alchemy of all kinds (I want a fireworks-maker!). Fire magic -- flaming swords and shields, etc. Note that that's only *if,* because if we really want to get all crafty, there is this:

2. Picture a group of teenagers, craftspeople's sons and daughters, from Branishor or Milltown or Dundee who are tired of being unpaid labor for their families. Now that the War is over, their lives are even more boring, and they finally decide to band together as a party of adventurers. Every one of them has a craft (at least one) that he or she can use to help make a living and that influences, one way or another, the way they work out their path as an adventurer. For example, the innkeeper's son can cook, and will learn how to forage for wild food and produce savory meals in the wild. The fabric artist's daughter can sew, make clothes, or weave, and will learn all sorts of things to do with spider and insect silk. The armorer's daughter will keep the whole group's armor repaired and will learn more and more about leatherwork or about metalwork . Et cetera ...

These are just two ideas. Please discuss or add.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:38 pm

I really like both of those ideas, Topaz!

How many character slots are people gonna have to work with? I know I'm planning on making another account so I can easy join in on more than one collective if we wanna pursue more than one idea.

Luther Ghest
New Adventurer

Postby Luther Ghest » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:49 pm

I have one free slot. Luther will be mine, but I will use the other slot for this!

Topaz, I like both of those.

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 pm

I will have one new character.

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

My time is unfortunately too limited to join in this, but I'd like to make a suggestion while you're still looking for a background:

They come from a nomadic tribe, traveling through the desert (or jungle). Their tribe/families kept away from towns, because those were frequently the target of demon attacks. Being nomads, they learned basic surviving skills at a young age and some crafting skills from their respective parents (the tribe had to take care of their basic needs without interference from other communities. Now that they've heard the demon lord has been defeated, a few youngster decide its time to come out of hiding and explore locations foreign to them. You can even tie it in with a quest to learn the history of their tribe, looking for old Agrabur or as tales have decended from generation to generation.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Thu May 04, 2017 1:37 am

So, are people thinking about this? Fire-worshippers? Young craftspeople? Purazon's tribesmen?

Please discuss.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Thu May 04, 2017 2:38 am

That is a hard one, I really like the crafter's idea. A lot...like enough to make me want to commit to something I know I will have no time for (If I quit my job I am blaming you, Topaz.)....but I also can see a zillion places to go with the others.

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Thu May 04, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm as annoyingly indecisive as ever :lol:

Crafts people might be neat though, seens as though I've never played a character like that before!

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Thu May 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Okay, so far we have Viviyana and me attracted by the craftspeople, and Bifrost willing to consider it. Anyone else?

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Wed May 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Can those of you who are interested in this please send me your preferences, in order? You can either list them here or send me a private message.

Viviyana? Bifrost? Kaballoi? Bibi?

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 am

Sorry for the late reply, got talked into making 14 bee costumes in two days. ))

So I like:

1) Crafter kids (or young adults...you think Viv is a snot, just you wait...joking!)
2) Fire tribe ( Can we call them the Kairielians?)
3) Nomadic Tribe

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I've been a bit busy so am coming to this after quite an extensive discussion. However, my idea of the Explores League is based more on the Steampunk idea having to do with Science and Engineering and Technology. I like Topaz #2 idea because it fall right in line with this premise. I do NOT want to start another tribal/Nomadic group with this idea, besides it is already beind done with Alt Collective, Take One. I want it to be as far away for that as possible.

My idea was that the Explorers League could include anyone from any part of Valorn. It is based on the spirit of Exploration - adventure, discovery, scientific principal, and recording it all. I also like the idea of mechanisms and building magically operated items like the Golem in the Gremlin Tree and the fabulous Fortress Golem of Ryn.

The Fortress of Ryn is actually a major influence for me behind the Explorers League with all its amazing interior items and rooms and how it is powered. Valorn has a deep past history that included more technologically built items such as the sewers, temples, buildings, and maritime areas that were lost with the ages. Zanaan's ticking clock is a brilliant combination of technology and magic, as an example.

As far as character development goes I see folks that might distrust magic or the gods inherent magic/blessings, and who want to attempt to create items that do what magic does, but doesn't use magic. I can see folks who want to perhaps capture and dissect a Guardian or a Golem to figure out how it works. Or, on the other hand, you could have characters who want to discover and learn more about magic or the gods but in a more scientific manner. Bif is a Fantastic example of a character who is studying the Gremlins, and though a bit nutters, champions them with perhaps the possibility of developing a relationship with them. Who says that we could not do that with the gnomes, the Sea Dwellers, the Ogres, or the Centaurs. It is wide open to lovely possibility. What about a character who loves plants? Who wants to collect every plant in the world, no matter how dangerous, and create another mad greenhouse, nor not so mad one? A scientific tinkerer? An Indiana Jones type? Someone to continue the work of Azure Greenhill's or our lost scholar Quarrus?

Right then. I've put in my penny's worth. I'm Explorer's League all the way with this one.
Kaballoi
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow93482.html
......................................................................................................................
Accomplished at something. Not sure what.

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 am

For me personally, I love the idea of an Explorer's league. Would it be something that an existing character could join?

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”