Alt Collective - Rainforest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Re: Alt Collective

Postby Viviyana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Final List

• A "lost' tribe (Swamp, Rainforest, Canyon, Nomadic, Kilican volcano/dweller worshipping )
  • A coven of witches, hedge mages, shamans, healers.
  • A cult, religious group, monks, religious fanatics, Necromancers etc
  • An extended family of skilled crafters
  • Gypsies
  • A group of misfit highly magical folks
  • Barbarians
  • Traveling Carnival
  • Dancers (Ethucan)
  • Explorer's League

Please post your top three in order, you can also send them to me via forum PM (if you are wanting to be more anonymous in your participation) Again, you do not have to have replied to this thread to join in or vote :)

My own list:

1) Tribe
2) Cult
3) Skilled Crafters (perhaps a whole apprentice/school thing.)

I love the idea of the explorer's league, but there are a few already active characters that have been working hard to flesh out the GA and the steampunk end of things. Same with the other Humanoids. I also think that with some groups it might run into a bit too much reliance on admin stuff (to know anything about the GA or the Dwellers or Dragons) Whereas if we start a small group otherwise unknown in lore, stay within the game rules and such...we can have more freedom for creation. :)

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:23 pm

What's a 'GA'?
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Golden Age, sorry :)

Lavender
Social Leech

Postby Lavender » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Aren't all enchanters already highly magical misfits? :lol:
Last edited by Lavender on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lavender
Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this
is the beginning of wisdom. –Theodore Issac Rubin.
It takes courage to be kind. - Maya Angelou.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Ah, thanks Viv - I was like Georgia haha that's odd ;-)
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Edit: vote changed after final list
Last edited by Turcko on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 pm

My picks are:

1. Gypsies
2. Explorers League
3. Misfit Magic Users

Topaz...not sure if we are related, but who knows. :D Great Minds however :wink: Fear of frogs *thinks* don't think its mandatory, but might be an interesting quirk along with the whole reanimating-a-dead-rat scenario (I'm claiming that one. Too good to pass up.)
Kaballoi
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow93482.html
......................................................................................................................
Accomplished at something. Not sure what.

bibi onyx
Adventurer

Postby bibi onyx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I think they're all great ideas, with tons of possibilities. I'm still not totally clear about what we mean by gypsies, (I keep thinking Mommy Fortuna and Stromboli, lol) but it could be good. I made my choices in no particular order.

1. Cult/Coven (seems like a fine line?)
2. Gypsies
3. Lost tribe

Thorne
Veteran

Postby Thorne » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Stepping out of character for a bit...

((Hey guys, I'm bringing this up because I know lots of you personally, and know that you would not want to be misunderstood here about something that can be a sensitive subject. But, the term "gypsies" while still pretty widely used when I was a kid, is becoming recognized as a racist term for the Roma. Here's a link to some more details and a short documentary.

I feel deeply confident in saying no one here would mean it that way, but I thought it would probably be more prudent to go with "traveling folk" or "nomads" and get away from the negativity associated with that word.

Also, not trying to be holier-than-thou as I had a "gypsy" bard character I loved playing a long time ago and thought nothing of it. But I also figured it's good to point something out if someone doesn't know it.

Carry on! Have fun!))

"I should have been a pair of ragged claws; Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." - Eliot

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Thorne wrote:Stepping out of character for a bit...

((Hey guys, I'm bringing this up because I know lots of you personally, and know that you would not want to be misunderstood here about something that can be a sensitive subject. But, the term "gypsies" while still pretty widely used when I was a kid, is becoming recognized as a racist term for the Roma. Here's a link to some more details and a short documentary.

I feel deeply confident in saying no one here would mean it that way, but I thought it would probably be more prudent to go with "traveling folk" or "nomads" and get away from the negativity associated with that word.

Also, not trying to be holier-than-thou as I had a "gypsy" bard character I loved playing a long time ago and thought nothing of it. But I also figured it's good to point something out if someone doesn't know it.

Carry on! Have fun!))

I will admit it did make me flinch a little when I read the term (over here, in the part of the UK I am, and with the ancestry I have (yay for Mormonism and Family Tree-ing!) you just don't ever use it at all), but then I also recognise that most people here are American, and words do have completely different meanings, once they cross that big old pond!

I didn't want to be "that person" but, just in case someone of Romany heritage/ancestry does read this, perhaps the term "nomad" would be a nice, generic one to use, from this point on?

Also, as pet peeve of mine, (and I am on my soap box): Please note that "Irish", "Gaelic", and "Romany" are very much very different things,
even though some/all may apply at times!
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Hojo Musachi
I talk WAY too much

Postby Hojo Musachi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:33 am

I wouldn't worry about being that person, Dabria. It's always important to raise something like this due to the player base DG has - and Thorne-player's way shows it can be done without an argument. :)

"I'm afraid, Isoyami, I have probably already said more than was bought by the Knight's kiss " - Shaerih

Dabria
Social Leech

Postby Dabria » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:50 am

Hojo Musachi wrote:I wouldn't worry about being that person, Dabria. It's always important to raise something like this due to the player base DG has - and Thorne-player's way shows it can be done without an argument. :)

Then maybe I didn't trust myself not to be argumentative! ;) Still, no harm done, and I really did wonder if it was me just being over-sensitive (It has been known!); so I never wanted to cause waves unnecessarily.
"Stabbing someone is no longer considered rude. Rather, it is now an acceptable method in which to end a conversation."
~Richard~

Quasha wrote:I'd pretend shock, but it's Dabria the Inappropriate.

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am

Alright, let's not be offensive - replace gypsy with travelers for future voting... since everyone seems to have grown shy in fear of what to say at the moment.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Bifrost Janger
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Bifrost Janger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Or voting over pm? Will we get the big reveal later :D?
Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground. - Terry Pratchett

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Alright, we will keep the voting open until Friday! You can vote here or send me a pm, either works fine.

Thanks for saying something Thorne. :) Travelers it is!

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Right, the term "Gypsy" has never been derogatory where I come from, however in this age of political correctness and highly sensitive association I will agree that Travelers is a better term to use. I have no desire to offend ANYONE and in no way meant too. I admit I do not particularly like the idea of using the term Coven or Cult because of derogatory associations linked to those along with religious persecution. Honestly, as a community, I've never thought of players in DG as deliberately being offensive to other players on the whole. RP can express itself in characters that are prejudice, mean, racist, and offensive. These types of characters can be interesting to play, but the IC and OOC can get mixed up, much like a good actor being type cast. Honestly if your going to play a grumpy, smelly, offensive character, just like in normal life, people will generally avoid you. I digress however.

My vote: 1) Travelers 2) Explorers League 3) Misfit Magic Users
Kaballoi
......................................................................................................................

Viviyana
I talk WAY too much

Postby Viviyana » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Okay then, how is this?

Final List

• A society of people that have lived apart from the majority of Valorn, from a specific environment. (Swamp, Rainforest, Canyon, Nomadic, Kilican volcano/dweller worshiping )
  • A community of natural or other types of magical practitioners who are not enchanters.
  • A sect of people that share a common belief strongly in a common higher being or beings.
  • An extended family of skilled crafters
  • A tight knit group of performers and tinkers that travel.
  • A group of highly magical folks that don't really subscribe to the usual societal mores.
  • Large humans with less than stellar intelligence that usually value brawn over brains.
  • Traveling Carnival
  • Dancers (Ethucan)
  • Explorer's League

This conversation has made me realize that 1) we really don't want to offend people or subscribe to stereotypes...and 2) we should probably stay away from terms that might be deemed ooc. We really are trying to flesh out the diverse population of Valorn here :)

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 pm

:lol:
Mhm.
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Turcko
Veteran

Postby Turcko » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I Love the final list and therefore wish to change my vote.

1)Large humans with less than stellar intelligence that usually value brawn over brains.

2)A society of people that have lived apart from the majority of Valorn, from a specific environment. (Swamp, Rainforest, Canyon, Nomadic, Kilican volcano/dweller worshiping

3)A sect of people that share a common belief strongly in a common higher being or beings
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

kaballoi
Experienced Adventurer

Postby kaballoi » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 am

ROFLMAO
Kaballoi

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”