Dungeon Creation Contest

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Dungeon Creation Contest

Postby Miranda of Admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 am

Very occasionally we ask players to show us how creative they can be by suggesting a dungeon (in-game combat area) which they feel would enhance the DG world, and we thought it was about time we did it again.

If you would like to enter this contest, you will need to write the following for your proposed dungeon:

1) A background story to explain where it is and why it exists. You may include any other information you feel is relevant and important.
2) Three sample room names and descriptions.
3) A list of all creatures and any boss, with a description and list of drops.

As a prize, the winning player will see their dungeon appear in game as a permanent area.

Good luck!

RULES
* One entry per player NOT per character.
* Entries must be emailed to [email protected] - Please include a contact character name and number and title your email "Dungeon Contest Entry"
* Closing date is Friday September 13th 2013.
* The dungeon must fit within the game context and anything mentioned within it must not be OOC.
* You may post general contest questions on this thread. Anything specific to your dungeon will be deleted and remain unanswered.
* The winning dungeon will appear in game within six months of the close of contest (probably sooner but this is a maximum time period.)
* Admin reserve the right to edit the winning dungeon while building it.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Re: Dungeon Creation Contest

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Quick question. Are three sample rooms the max limit we are allowed to send? Thank you.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Ulric R
New Adventurer

Postby Ulric R » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Is it for a specific level or can we be creative with that as well?

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:23 pm

1. Three is the number of rooms to send; no more and no less. If you would like to send a list of rooms that you see being in the dungeon, include it in the background you send. If your submission wins, we might invite you to write some more. But that is only a possibility and we may just use it as inspiration.

2. You can make it for any level you like, and stat your drops accordingly. But be aware that is something we definitely include in the retained editing rights as we may feel it fits better for other levels.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

For one of our three rooms, can we edit a current room so that its description would further fit the expansion idea?

Ex: Before your gaze is a small room, that appears to be almost barren.

Edit: Before your gaze is a small room, that appears to be almost barren. Recently there appears to have been some digging that has taken place in the far left corner of the room, and upon closer observation... a freshly dug hole with a wooden ladder leading down into the darkness.

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

3. Yes, you can edit a current room and submit it as one of your rooms. If it is to provide an entrance to your dungeon and you feel you would be better to send in three sparkly new rooms, you could also submit a location suggestion as part of your 'other relevant information' background.

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Like with the last Admin run contest, if we are worried about our entry getting lost in spam or something along those lines... can we sent you a PM on here to say we've submitted an entry?

Miranda of Admin
'Rifterian

Postby Miranda of Admin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

I have finally reached some kind of a decision on this contest. I genuinely have never seen a contest in which the standards were so high, there were so many entries it made it very hard to pick a winner.

Some entries were beautifully written but I wasn't quite so keen on the idea behind it, others had a wonderful idea but were not as well written.

In the end I picked TWO winners because I really wanted both to appear in the game. I also picked a runner-up. Winners and runners-up will all receive a small something in game (chase me up if you haven't got in within a week or so) and the two overall winners will see their work appear in-game as areas within a few months.

So...

As runner-up I would like to commend the joint entry written by Sylvana & Seragil Shadowsong. Although this wasn't (after much deliberation) in my top two area picks I think this was probably the most incredibly detailed entry I received. So much effort went into it and the writing itself was also beautiful.

As joint winners I would like to congratulate Quasha Lavarte and Raffe Rychmin. Their entries have given me some real inspiration.

Korba
Veteran

Postby Korba » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Congratulations everyone, I look forward to exploring your creations :)

Korba

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Postby Blythe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Wow! Im speechless... Congratulations to Quasha and Sylvana & Sergil as well!!

And thank you to admin for offering this opportunity for creative expression!

I totally fangirl screamed when I read this!
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:53 pm

Haha, Raffe. Always good for a laugh. ;)

Congrats to everyone on a job well done - and I cant wait to explore the new areas.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 pm

Congrats everyone, and a thanks to admin for the thought provoking contest. Looking forward to seeing and exploring the winning entries.

quasha lavarte
Social Leech

Postby quasha lavarte » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 pm

*Joins Raffe in his fangirl moment, dancing a lil jig for joy* Im in shock but definitely excited and grateful! Thanks for the great contest and congrats to everyone else!
~ Stop throwing bread at me I am NOT a duck! ~
http://www.darkgrimoire.com/cshow48789.html

Seragil
New Adventurer

Postby Seragil » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 am

On behalf of Sylvana and myself we would like to say firstly, congratulations Raffe and Quasha, we can't wait to explore and play in the new areas and concepts you have helped bring to the game. Mostly though we wanted to thank the Admin for giving us all this chance to be able to create something unforgettable. Winning or not winning wasn't the point for us, it was all about the late nights, the glasses of wine, the brainstorming, the laughter...and the arguments. It was a lot of fun to say the least. So thank you, thank you for everything.

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Congratulations to the winners (and runner-up). And thank you admin, for a fun contest. I look forward to exploring the new area's.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

Topaz
I talk WAY too much

Postby Topaz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Congratulations to all the winners, and allow me to add myself to the list of those who are quivering with eagerness to see and explore your ideas.

Topaz

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”