creating flags, banners & pennants

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
purazon
Social Leech

creating flags, banners & pennants

Postby purazon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:33 am

Hello all. My time to spend in Valorn may be limited these days, but that doesn’t stop me from organising a little something for the summerfaire:

Since I think the ceremony might just have that little bit extra with colourful banners unfurled in a gentle summer breeze, I’ll present you with the following challenge:

- Create descriptions of banners, flags or pennants that can be carried by your character in your character description during the closing ceremony.

- deadline: july 25th;

- your entry should be posted here in DG-forums below this post.

- All descriptions should adhere to DG-profile rules;

- I’ll leave the theme of your banner to your imagination. It can be ‘summer’, but may as well be something else (as long as it is allowed in DG);

- Since it should fit in your character description, pictures or drawings are not allowed. BUT you may use ASCII-art if you wish (ascii art by itself, or together with a written description). If you want to do this you’ll have to post your character number and keep the ascii art in your profile so I can judge it. TIP: keep in mind that the DG-description is always centered. If you prepare ascii art in a text-editor with the text aligned left, your end result might not look quite the same.

- you ‘may’ (no obligation – but advised) add an explanation below the description, for example to explain a symbols you’ve used, or why you chose a certain fabric or colour.

- To be clear: you don't have to be able to make it to the ceremony to enter the contest. (the entries are judged before the ceremony will take place anyway)

-Prize: The entry I like best will receive a ‘blank’ amulet of the order.

Now go and order your fabrics with the textile artists and start working.
I won’t make it to the closing ceremony on July 29 myself, but I hope it will be very colourful and filled with people waving their banners.
Last edited by purazon on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Re: creating flags, banners & pennants

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Is there a specific end time on the 25th?
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 pm

You have until midnight WEST (Western European Summer Time) (or WAT, basicly the same time zone.)
That would be 6 pm EST/11 pm GMT
Purazon 12387

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:33 pm

This contest is for July 25th by the way... :)
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:27 am

yes, how time flies. thanks Azure.

A few clarifications:
- You don't have to be able to attend the closing ceremony (I won't be able to be there myself, and the entries will be judged before that.
- You do not have to change your description in game (unless you use ascii art, but that is no obligation).
Purazon 12387

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 pm

I do hope this is what you are thinking of. I will probably not be able to attend the closing cerimonies but this is something that fits Narian. Also I will be quite busy and do not see me having the time to do ASCII art.

Atop a plain standard a heavy linnen, white, square banner hangs. The main image on the banner is of a green deciduous tree seeming to grow out from an open tome. An inkwell and a gold tipped writing plume is just to the right side of the tome. Behind the tree and rising from the tome is an image of the morning Sunrifter emitting golden rays.

All images on the banner have some significance.
~ The tree, besides reminding me of the trees near Dundee, it represents life.
~ The rising Sunrifter, besides being a favoured image of mine, is a representation of rebirth and renewal.
~ The tome, inkwell, and quill all are representations of scholarly pursuits, all interests of mine.

Colors can have many different meanings, cause many emotions, or mean nothing at all.
~ Before I began my research into colors gold has often been a favorite of mine. The color reminds me of the farm fields at harvest but on the banner it represents the worthy pursuit of knowledge.
~ Green represents life and renewal.
~ White represents purity and truth.

The colors, white gold and green, and tree can also be seen on my tunic.

Narian, 130249

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Fastened on a carefully smoothed and polished length of wood is what seems at first glance to be a simple blue cloth pendent. Closer examination as it snaps in the breeze reveals a mosaic of blue shades of cloth with affixed tiny blue crystals. The pattern is similar to that of the evening sky in summer.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

Helena
New Adventurer

Postby Helena » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Sticking out and up from the back of her armour are two banner poles bearing various bright-colored ribbons. They hold a rather large blue-dyed tapestry that bears a painstakingly embroidered image of a map of Valorn and smaller Kilican Island. Around the edge of the tapestry, the color fades and small cartoon-like renditions of many Valornian citizens have been painted carefully, all holding hands and encircling the map. If you look closely, you may be able to find someone you know...maybe even yourself! Painted in beautiful black script upon the blue area of the banner, above and below the islands, it reads, "As we stand together, none will fall."

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:17 pm

less then 2 days left.
Purazon 12387

Calamon Bluestone
New Adventurer

Postby Calamon Bluestone » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Carrying a flag showing a map of Valorn as if seen from above on a field of white. The white field slowly fades to black at the edges as if a light comes from Valorn into the darkness or the darkness is trying to reach Valorn. At the edges of the glow there are eighteen figures, all different from each other, surround Valorn with there backs to her looking into the darkness. There stance look to be one of protection as each readies their various weapons.
I love to learn and battle. When I can do both at the same time, Thats bliss.

Pallas
Veteran

Postby Pallas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:02 pm

A black banner is affixed securely to a stout pole. The upper quadrant, adjacent to the pole, depicts in silver the letters 'TS' nestling within the horns of a crescent moon.
Centrally on the banner, again in silver, is a circle of clerics' Holy Rings linked together by lockpicks. Across the circle lie an enchanter's staff, a warrior's broadsword, and a basic sword.

Notes
Black and silver are the colours of Twilight Serenity. The letters 'TS' cradled by a crescent moon is the badge worn by guild members.
Imagine the circlet of rings and picks as a clock-face. Laid across the circlet from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock is an enchanter's staff. Laid across from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock is a warrior's broadsword. and from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock a basic sword. The device represents the unity of all in the lands - cleric, rogue, enchanter, warrior, initiate - all equally involved in one entity.

Pallas

The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten ...

Lindisfarne 'The Things I Should Have Said'

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Thank you all for participating. I've truly enjoyed reading the entries. Narian has won and shall receive the prize.
Purazon 12387

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Wow forgot about the prize. I enjoyed it muchly and there were many creative entries. Gave me a chance to share my (Narian's) interests in both colors and symbols.

Narian

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks for running the contest, it was fun seeing what folks came up with.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am

I rolled my banner up and put it in my pack for next year :)

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”