fall fest top chef

This board contains announcements, discussion and planning for in-game events.
zeldin blue
New Adventurer

fall fest top chef

Postby zeldin blue » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 am

you heard it right,
this is a contest with food!
using the ingredients below, create a dish complementary of fall festival. the winning dishes will be awarded with there choice of the prizes listed at the end of the page.

ingredients,

1 pumpkin
3 fall festival candy balls

1 large mug of ale
2 korungas
and
1 piece of boss meat

you may use other ingredients to your liking but you must use all of the ingredients listed. include every step of making the dish and describe the finished product to be judged.
deadline,
october 31st 12-00 pm. est

prizes,

old invasion ingot
golden age armor mod ac plus 1
1500 plat
or
a treasure box
only one entry per character

be sure to include your characters name and number
and have fun creating your dish!

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Re: fall fest top chef

Postby AKA Azure » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Here's a festive and (I hope) flavorful Fall Fest Food
Bos and Korunga Stew in pumpkin tureen

Ingredient list:
1 medium to large-sized pumpkin
1 large mug of ale
2 korungas
1 piece of bos meat
ADDED INGREDIENTS:
2 T Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
2 tomatoes (saved from the fate of being eaten in a summer salad)
2 onions
2 medium sized root vegetables
Zest of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic
Thyme, oregano and other spices

Step one: Making the tureen:
Use a thin sharp knife to cut a large circle around the stem of the pumpkin – you may make it angled or round. Remove the lid and scoop out the seeds and fibrous ‘guts’. Sprinkle the inside of each with 1 Tablespoon of crushed candy balls and a pinch of salt. Place the pumpkin and lids on a baking sheet (or small steel shield; roast until it is tender, 3-4 marcs depending on size.

While you are doing this, making the stew. This will also allow the ‘tureen’ to cool.

Step 2: Making the stew
In a pot heat the oil. Cut the piece of bos meat into stew sized chunks. Brown them in the hot oil, drain and remove setting them on a plate to the side.

Cut up the onions into thin slices and fry them with the thyme, garlic, lemon zest and other spices until softened (about half a marc). Add in the chunked tomatoes and ale. Then bring to a boil, stirring and breaking up the tomato. Make sure to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the browned bos meat along with any collected juices. Cover pot and simmer for about 6 marcs or until the meat is tender.

Remove lid and add in cut up korunags and chunked root vegetables. Cover again and simmer for another 2-3 marcs. Uncover and stir, and simmer until the vegetables and korunga slices are softened and the mixture thickens (Another 2 marcs or so).

Pour stew into the pumpkin tureen and serve. The cooked pumpkin flesh will add extra flavor to an already flavorsome stew. You may sprinkle amining crushed candyball mixtures on top of their serving.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

asrai
Adventurer

Postby asrai » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 am

Baked Thingymajig..

Ingredients:

1 pumpkin
1 large mug of ale
2 korungas
1 piece of bos meat

Directions:

Drink the ale, every single drop. Place the empty ale mug to the side and hope some kind soul comes and refills before you are done mixing the ingredients.

Take your pumpkin and cut a hole in the top. Crush the candyballs and the korungas into the pumpkin hull. Check your empty mug of ale to see if it has been filled.

Next, chop up the bos meat and toss it into the pumpkin hull or if you perfer a more lazy approach, just toss the bos meat in whole. Check your empty mug of ale again.

Finally, find an oven and put the whole pumpkin in. Check your empty mug of ale again. If the mug is still empty, forget about trying to make something edible out of this mess (as if this concoction would be considered edible)and grab the empty mug and find the nearest inn to have it filled.

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:45 pm

1 pumpkin

1 large mug of ale
2 korungas
and
1 piece of boss meat

This is was one that made me think. So I seperated it into a meat dish, desert, and snack. You will neeed a pie crust and possibly a little more ale.

Bos Ale Jerky
First you will need the bos meat and ale.
Cut the meat into thin strips.
Soak the meat in the ale overnight, so the meat can absorb the flavouring.
If there is liquid not yet absorbed by the meat you can either drink the extra, boil off what is left, or if you wish use it in the pie(this I would rather use some new ale).
Hang meat over smoky fire. Use woods that give off a flavor you would enjoy. Hang until cooked and dry.

Pumpkin and Korunga Pie
For this you will need to a pie crust and possably have a little extra ale.
Remove the seeds and innards of the pumpkin and save seeds. Remove the skin of the pumkin and cut into small cubes.
Peel the Korunga and put in a bowl with the pumpkin pieces.
Mash together, if to solid and a little ale so you can blend them together. Be careful not to add to much.
Pour into the pie crust and bake until crust reaches a golden brown.
Crush the candyballs over the pie. Use an open flame such as a torch to melt the crushed candyballs a little.

Pumkin Seeds
Best not to let too much go for waste.
Spread seeds on a pan and cook over fire until they seems done.

Narian, 130249

Morvan
New Adventurer

Postby Morvan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:51 am

First off, love the idea, was a real head scratcher, combining pumpkin, korunga, candyballs, ale, and bos meat.

Fall Festival Pumpkin Pasta:

Ingredients:

1 Pumpkin
3 Fall Festival candy balls
2 Korungas
1 Large Mug of Ale
1 Piece Bos Meat

Pasta:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp olive oil

3 large yellow onions
4 oz ungrated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp black pepper

Extras Needed:
Water
Salt
Semolina flour

Tools:

Sifter
Fork
Rolling Pin
Strainer
Peeler, or sharp knife
Chef's knife (any sharp knife will do)
Cutting board
Saucepan
Frying Pan
Wooden spoon (or metal)
Grater
Large pot
Small bowl

Steps:

First, we start with the pasta:

1) On a clean surface, sift together your Semolina flour, all purpose flour, and the 1/2 tsp of salt, into a small mountain. Form a well in the middle, break eggs into the well, and add 1 tsp olive oil. Whisk eggs gently with fork, gradually adding flour from the sides of the well. When too thick to fork whisk, begin kneading with your hands.

2) Knead dough for just under to just over a marc (8-12 minutes). It should be smooth and supple at the end. If dough becomes sticky, lightly dust with extra semolina, and continue kneading.

3) Let dough sit for 3 marcs (30 minutes), at room temperature.

While the dough is sitting, let's get the sauce going.

4) Peel pumpkin, and remove out layer from onion. Remove seeds, and soft inner bit from the pumpkin.

5) On your cutting board, slice the pumpkin into thin slices (about matchstick thickness). Then cut the onions in half from top to bottom, and cut it into slices of the same thickness. Peel korungas, and cut these into the same thickness as well.

6) Place your saucepan over high heat, add 1 tsp olive oil. Add your onion slices, and saute for about half a marc (five minutes). Your onions should be soft, but not brown yet.

7) Add pumpkin and korunga slices, then bring heat down to low. Cook for two marcs (twenty minutes), stirring regularly. The onions, pumpkin, and korunga should get a soft, mushy consistency. They should also be browned, caramelizing them, and concentrating the sweet flavor.

While the sauce is cooking, let's get the meat going, and prep the candy balls.

8 ) Add ale to frying pan, and put on high heat. Add your piece of Bos meat to the pan, and fry until cooked medium well, flipping halfway through. The ale will cook into the meat, adding flavor, and eliminating the need to season it.

9) Finely mince the candyballs, and then place in a small bowl, for later.

10) When the meat is done, cut it into small, bite size cubes, and set aside for now.

Back to the sauce now.

11) Add a pinch of black pepper, and nutmeg, to your mix. I prefer fresh grated, but pre-grated works just as well.

12) Remove from heat, add the heavy cream, and mix well. Set the sauce to one side.

And now back to our pasta dough.

13) Fill large pot with water, add a dash of salt, and bring to a boil.

14) While waiting for the water, roll out dough with a rolling pin, to a thin sheet, and cut into quarter inch strips. If the strips are too long, you may have to cut them in half, or even thirds.

15) Once water is boiling, add your pasta, and cook for one to three quarters of a marc (two to eight minutes), depending on thickness. Pasta should be al dente when done. (Not soft or mushy, but tender)

16) Strain pasta, and rinse with cold water, to keep the residual heat from overcooking.

And here's where it all starts coming together.

17) Add your pumpkin sauce mix to the pasta, and mix well. Then mix in your Bos meat cubes.

18) Place sauced pasta and meat onto serving plates. Grate the Parmesan cheese on top, then sprinkle lightly with the minced candy balls, to add color, and a bit of sweetness.

And you're done!

The finished product is a rich, hearty pasta, with the sweeter flavors from the caramelized onions, pumpkin, and korungas, mixed with the saltier tones of the nutmeg and Parmesan cheese. The Bos meat, cooked in the ale, adds a richness to the dish, and the candy balls add a sweetness, and color. The whole meal comes in shades of Autumn, a fitting color scheme for a Fall Fest dish.

Oh, and should mention, this recipe is enough for four dishes.
Morvan: 180782
Burendi Endsul: 192391

zeldin blue
New Adventurer

Postby zeldin blue » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 am

please get your entries in, the food looks good and i'm getting hungry lol one more day, i will have the results and prizes hopefully rewarded before fall fest ends so don't forget to enter

Andy Feenix
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Andy Feenix » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Andys Fall Festival Surprise!

Ingredients:
1 pumpkin
1 large mug of ale
2 korungas
1 piece of bos meat

Instructions:
Gather your Pumpkin, Candy Balls, Korungas, Bos Meat and Ale.
Toss out Pumpkin, Candy Balls, Korungas and Bos Meat.
Surprise! All you're left with is a large Ale! Drink Ale and repeat as needed.
Andy Feenix
Wha' goes aroun' comes aroun'.
Andy's Campfire, Songs of Trinald

zeldin blue
New Adventurer

Postby zeldin blue » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 am

well, i've been judging as it went along, and though it is late this day i will anounce the winners as the end has come to the contest.
judging the completed dishes, drink ale and disguarding unfortunately doesn't count i a cooking competitio, though there where some interesting ways of planning.
in first place is morvin for the time and technique, the dish was verry delicious and i'm saving the recipe.
in second place is rikm, or rather narian good job of using the ingredients.
and in third is azure, a verry good dish and all are winners.
please contact me with your choices, narian and azure give a second and possibly third choice just in case.
also all who participated are envited to have an ale on me!
just pm me with the choices and have a happy fall festival of what remains!

zeldin blue

rikm
Veteran

Postby rikm » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 pm

Great recipies... perchance I should take up cooking.

Narian

Return to “Contest and Event Planning”