A Deepening Darkness

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Elisabeth
New Adventurer

A Deepening Darkness

Postby Elisabeth » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I could never quite get used to the cumbersome armadillo shell shield I had been using. It felt as if it weighed a ton, and smelled something dreadful. But I continued to use it, burdensome as it may have been.
Wandering through Dundee, absorbing the sights, I came across a lone knight, executing combat drills in a bare courtyard. The knight ceased his practice and looked up and smiled at me, sheathing his sword. He immediately frowned at the remains of the animal that I was currently using as protection.

"Dreadful thing... If youre looking for something much more.. suitable, then I have a task for you. If you can find the key, which was swallowed up by a swamp viper, then you can have one of the Iron Knights shields, downstairs. The snake probably headed back into his natural habitat, in Duberry's swamp. But beware, Elisabeth. It will not be easy, I can assure you."

I pondered the Knight's proposal, weighing out the pros and cons. Suddenly the wind picked up and I caught a good long wiff of my shield.
"To Duberry's swamp it is!"

I looked over my gear one last time, securing some rations for the journey (and maybe an ale or two :D ), and headed into the marshland.

Sunrifter had begun its slow descent as I headed into the swamp, and I hoped to be through before the night. I had no intentions of being lost in a swamp after dark.

As I waded my way through the tangle and mess of the bog, I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. All of a sudden a vine grasped my leg, as if the plant were alive! And it truly was. The vine struggled to pull me into the swamp as I hacked at it with my blade. Fear suddenly struck into my heart as I realized the mess I was in. The swamp was trying to get rid of the trespasser! This mire was truly evil, it seemed...

I continued my way through the swamp, defeating snakes and great poisionous frogs, as well as even more of these animated plants. I fought my way through the tangled bog, stopping only to catch my breath, and daring the glowing eyes watching me to advance. I never realized how low in the sky Sunrifter had fallen, nor that night would be upon me soon.

I came to a cave, just as the last rays of the day disappeared from the sky, my blade's soft glow illuminating the ground around me. I took a deep breath, and descended into the opening.

I could barely see feet in front me as I felt my way through the darkened chamber.
Suddenly a decayed, bloated figure appeared in front of me, and I stumbled in shock. The moaning creature clawed at me, trying to sink its remaining teeth into my flesh. It took all I had to muster the strength to defeat this creature. As he fell with a splash into the puddles around me, I said a soft prayer, and tried to calm my racing heart.

Further I ventured into the deepening darkness, the light of my blessed blade, gradually becoming dimmer. Time and again I faced the beasts of this forsaken swamp.
I came to a set of stairs descending even further into the darkness, and I realized with a knot in my gut that my light was no longer going to be any use to me.
With a frustrated cry, I fell against the wall, tears welling in my eyes.
After all the fighting I had done, only to be cut short.
Then a fable came to mind, one that I remembered hearing the men tell of, when I was a child..

"In darkness deep you must prevail;
Without a light you'll surely fail."

And I realized what a fool I'd been.

My anguished cry must have been heard, because a wonderful cleric came to my need. Shade Muen came and offered the blessings of our god's, lighting my way.

I fell to my knees as I pulled the key to the chest in the castle of the Iron Knights from the carcass of the giant viper. And I sighed as I saw the portal ahead, feeling confident it would take me to a safe place.

Thanks Shade! :D

Return to “Tales of Adventure”