Tales from the Iron Knights

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Tales from the Iron Knights

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:27 pm

Posted here you'll find a collection of stories about Various Iron Knights. The collection starts with some of the stories told in the past week or two, but may expand with time.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 pm

The Tale of Stralo (told by Azure)

When I was umm, foolishly trying to help the librarian, before I was driven off, I saw some old reports, and you know me, I love stories, so I did my best to remember the snippets I read and piece it together. Please excuse me if my pieces aren't fully, accurate, I was in a bit of a hurry and he was rather irate.

It seems that once, there were well, iron knights in training, not just junior and senior knights. This is a story of one of them and how resourceful he was.

I would assume, from what I saw, that he was young, and maybe not even a blooded warrior, but I'm not sure. He had spent lots of time in stables. I do know he was mostly just armed with his wits when his adventures began. Luckily for him, it was well-armed indeed.

He name was Stralo or well, something like that. The writing wasn't the best. He was out riding messages between two posts when he was captured.

Now, none of his messages were of great time concern, so his absence wasn't noted right away. When it was, trackers were sent out. From the signs a small band of horsemen had encircled him and taken him away. At first, it seemed they rode hard and fast, but after the first night's campsite was found, the group seemed to move more slowly.

It appears some of the horses must have gotten sore feet and foundered a bit. Now, I'm not sure how many of you know horses and their shoes, but that is a bit odd. Usually, maybe one or two would, but this seemed an epidemic!

Stralo was rather resourceful, and after awaking to find himself captive he decided to do his best to leave sign for the rescue he hoped would come. Of course, it would be even better if he could escape himself. He tried to drop sign - smidgens of cloth, fall against branches, leave scuff marks in the grass when they let him off his horse, but he knew even with that, catching up to them might be chancy.

He wasn't sure why he was captured or even where they were going.

Late that first night, even tied as he was, he was able to find some small, sharp stones and well, worm his way closer to the tethered horses. He put the stones between the hooves and the shoes. Horses don't have lots of feeling in their hooves, and as long as he moved slowly and didn't startle them, noone noticed his actions

I might feel sorry for the poor dumb beasts, but he was clever in his decision. He couldn't escape, nor leave much sign. But he could slow them down.

His plan worked.

The trackers caught up with the band, after a few more days and quite the battle occurred. The papers were snatched out of my hands at that point. However, while Stralo was on the injured list, he wasn't on the list of the dead. One of the band who captured him surrendered and they were able to get some information from him.

From what little I know, they had been influenced to try to get a knight or knight in training back to some hideout to gain information from him or her. It was their bad luck that they snatched Stralo.

Even after the unification of the kingdoms, there were always those who wanted to tear it apart. It strikes me as sad though that it took a creature such as Balthazar to bring us to working together as much as we do.

Maybe not the tale of heroic valor you came to here, but a heroic deed none the less.
Last edited by AKA Azure on Sun May 25, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:33 pm

A (brief) Tale of Mathilde: Retired Iron Knight (told by Az at one of the castle talks)

Mathilde is one of the few knights who has retired. She did this several years ago due to some injuries she sustained in battle that couldn't get healed in time to fully erase the damage.

She didn't let it stop her though, although it could have.

She's someone I have to look up to. Not just for her height. Her injuries were such that well - many in her condition would have given up and withdrawn from everything. She refused to take that path, although perhaps she like many allowed herself to sink into despair at first. In truth, I don't know.

She's ready with advice from what that strange item is you've found, to where you should take it to get rid of it.

Her symbol is a wildcat and she wears it even on her helm.

One of these days I might ask her how she was injured; one day she might even tell me.
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 pm

The Tale of Ralth (as told by Az)

If you’ve traveled by the fortress, you may have seen Knight Thrashen. He’s one of the more visible of the the Elder knights. He also has some of the best tales! He calls them history and gets upset if you say otherwise.â€
Azure Greenhills 83729
Lineages!

purazon
Social Leech

Postby purazon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:53 pm

The crest of the Iron Knights (as explained by Purazon)

[quote]Before the Golden Age, the three kingdoms, Verthor, Norwind and Alornium, were deadlocked in a war.
How this situation ended will be a story for another day... Suffice to say the the original Iron Knights succeeded to unite Valorn under one banner. That was the beginning of the Golden Age.

The Iron Knights became known as a symbol of Unity and Peace. And thus Strifegorge Fortress was built at the beginning of the Golden Age soon after the Iron Knights were founded.

It was also then that the crest of the Iron Knights *points at the crest on his armor, "a triangle formed by three mailed hands clasping each other's wrists"* was first shown.

The meaning of the triangle is quite obvious: it is a referance to Verthor, Norwind and Alornium, the 3 Kingdoms.
*looks around* The meaning of the hands? Well, one often sees friends extend a hand towards each other. It is a symbol of friendship and peace.
It was a symbol that none of the 3 Kingdoms would ever raise their arms against another Kingdom again. On the contrary, in need, a helping hand would be extended against a common enemy.
One will also notice that the hands are equally shaped, meaning thus that each Kindom, and its citizens are equal and must be treated equal.
The original Iron Knights, coming from the different Kingdoms, have given us a clear definition of unity and brotherhood and how it can be realized and implemented.
And so their symbol, the frimly clasped hands, besides being a symbol of peace and equality between Verthor, Norwind and Alornium, also became a symbol of unity and brotherhood
It were the original Iron Knights that found out: “United we stand and divided we fall”. But the meaning of the crest went further than just the 3 Kingdoms.
The crest is a symbol that all Valornians are allies of each other and that even in dire circumstantions they will stand united It is a symbol that all Valornians, men and women, are protectors one of another, no matter where they were from.
For what is unity if it breaks under a light strain but an empty promise.... True unity will not break, even under the severest strain.
And that is why the clasping hands are mailed, to symbolise that they will not break, not even in the direst circumstances. In fact, not in any situation.
Purazon 12387

Today is yesterday's tomorrow. Enjoy it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
Trinaldian Archives - Library

Return to “Tales of Adventure”