The reign of High King Deek, volume I.

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
superduck
I talk WAY too much

The reign of High King Deek, volume I.

Postby superduck » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:22 pm

With the coronation of High Queen Cordelia, the reign of High King Deek has ended. This does not mean, however, his influence has ended too. As a High King he was not seen often, but without any doubt he played a vital role in making Valorn to what it is these days. In a few volumes, I shall try to describe the events occuring under and during his rule. When the castle rose from the lake, Valorn was still in its Dark Ages. And although historians in the future might refer to our current time as being part of those Dark Ages, we have made significant improvements.

Before Valorn, except for the Temple, the Knights, and the Council of Ryndall, knew of the existence of Caer Laleldan, High King, or to be more historically accurate, High Lord Deek the Powerful was the keeper of the Remnants of Kimald Guild Hall and an officer in their guild. When the castle rose from the lake, the gates stayed shut for a thousand marcs (And a portal appeared, but I'll get back to that later). And although it is unknown to the author whether he was told he was the rightful heir to the throne or not, fact remains he stepped through the doorway, claiming his throne. And with that, the era of Deek began.

When High King Deek claimed his throne, things were a bit turbulent in Valorn. Many things changed in a short time span, but not all was bad; Shortly after the coronation (although there never was an official ceremony), High King Deek allowed the first bonding ever to be conducted in the castle, when Rendotts the Holy bonded Valac Mordstun to Luvia Bloodmire. The summer also brought several guilds to Valorn, founded to organise the High King's defense and serve as his bodyguard. Over time, they disbanded.

There was troubling news too, of course. Not long after the bonding, an exiled cleric visited Valorn. And although I won't go into detail here, High King Deek had quite a few problems keeping skeletal beasts away from his towns.

Summer had almost passed, when ferry travel to Kilican began. This might have been High King Deek's first chance to meet with another ruler, but he soon found out Kilican was a land as primitive as Valorn was, and did not have a King or Queen. He withdrew himself for a while, but showed up again after Sam Fraydye came with a bold plan to re-capture Ryndall.

Still in his first year as a High King, High King Deek booked a major victory by liberating Ryndall from the demon forces which had occupied the city almost a whole year earlier. Led by Eldrin Ivanshine, Valornian adventurers fought for countless marcs, but in the end it was Lord Worldbuilder Ben himself who saved the day for the Valornians. It had been done though; Ryndall had been taken, and although it took a while before the inhabitants moved back, it also had a great impact on the whole society. Inspired by these deeds, more and more civilians decided to take up arms against the demon hordes, and it is as if the number of new volunteers never stopped growing.

Winter brought more knowledge regarding Golden Age relics. The portal, which had been seen on many earlier occassions, one of them being the rising of the castle as I mentioned earlier, was seen more frequent. As obelisks decided it was time to rise from their slumber, adventurers slowly figured out how to forge weapons made of pure light, passed a final test, and used the tools provided to forge swords more powerful than anything mortal hands had ever held; Earthquakes have made Valorn tremble ever since.

More obelisk-like relics from the Golden Age appeared when the ancient Life Monuments, some of them damaged beyond normal repair but other ones still working as they used to do, rose from the ground near all towns and some seemingly random places. How and why this is important here will be discussed in volume II.

Spring began, and for the first time in ages Valorn was a bit peaceful. High King Deek allowed guilds to grow and to build on plots in various places all around Valorn. And all was well for a long time. But when things turned bad, the blow was worse than ever before.

Thorin.

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Zyanna
New Adventurer

Postby Zyanna » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 am

Thank you for sharing such information, Thorin -- I can't wait to read the following Volume(s)!
Zyanna.

AKA Azure
I talk WAY too much

Postby AKA Azure » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Oooh, history! Thanks for sharing this.

Korba
Veteran

Postby Korba » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Thank you Thorin, this is fascinating.

Korba

Alison
New Adventurer

Postby Alison » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Ooh, what an interesting account on Valornian history! I look forward to seeing more volumes... Thank you Thorin!
Atia 102503

skylsganin
Adventurer

Postby skylsganin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:57 am

Thank You Thorin.
As a newer inhabitant of Valorn, sometimes it is difficult to seperate the more recent history from the ancient .
I am looking forwrd to the next chapter, and hope that your original notes may be storred in the Histories for future adventurers to reference.

Sreip
Veteran

Postby Sreip » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:27 pm

This is awesome Thorin. History like this shouldn't be forgotten. Thank you.
"... who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." -Roosevelt

Sreip Enudreklaw #55234

Ixon Fier
Veteran

Postby Ixon Fier » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:28 pm

Always a pleasure to read history, though I knew it all. :)

Kudos.
"Ixon collects pretty much for the joy of collecting. He's fairly straight up for a scoundrel, double dealing, profiteering rogue. ;)" - Hacken

lukemont
New Adventurer

Postby lukemont » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:41 pm

Excellent!! I look forward to further volumes!
Lucas Montanus-48905
I don't heal wounds I make them!!

Jade Silvermoon
Adventurer

Postby Jade Silvermoon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:55 am

Thank you Thorin. This is really interesting :)

Belgarian Sernium
New Adventurer

Postby Belgarian Sernium » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:37 am

Hello Thorin, once again you amaze me with your tale. Might I ask..you were present during all of this?
To the freedom of Valorn

Cerberus
I talk WAY too much

Postby Cerberus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:18 am

Man, buddy your writing has improved dramatically. V. nice.
What kind of game would you make?
"I'd make a game about sarcasm and farce and put Cerberus in charge. =D" ~ Ben of Admin

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:44 pm

I was, yes. And thank you, Cerberus.

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Ellyana Lilli
I talk WAY too much

Postby Ellyana Lilli » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:53 pm

Very impressive, Thorin.
'When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth' ~George A. Romero
'Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart'

Ellyana - 118743

Return to “Tales of Adventure”