Valornian Slang

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Christopher
Veteran

Postby Christopher » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:48 am

Son of a mountain Ogre= Insult

Your mother lays with fores ogres= insult

Bright as the light from a ogre matrions staff= dimwitted

you smell like a pile of ogre Dung= insult
Life is Pain, Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

-Westley

Hentez
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Hentez » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:25 am

"Go suck on a sewer rat"
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:53 pm

May the (Cute and Adorable) bunnies eat your brains! --> insult

Thorin the Dainty.

As it says to the left......I talk WAY too much. ;)
And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:41 am

(plays Mylor Clearspring)

To add to Venus Darkmoon's mention of "Benspit", I originally meant it as a more general expression of irritation. "Aw, Benspit! There's rathair in my ale." In the tradition of "God's blood" and "God's teeth".

Also, she and I discussed expansive phrases besides "by the dribbling saliva of Ben". "Great streams of Ben's spittle!" and "Torrents of the World Building Saliva" to list two. From there, it's just a matter of timing and creativity to spring on someone a new combination for humorous effect.

Furthermore,

"May a dragon mark you." Something of a condemnation, but with a humorous reference.

"Fall like Ryndall" - epithet indicating disdain, disrespect; "As far as I'm concerned you and all of Caernivale can fall like Ryndall."

"Balthazar take [pronoun]" like "The devil take me." Literal condemnation, but softer connotations than other expressions.

"Cory forget you" Condemn you to final death, wish you ill. Harsh connotation.

glorysongbird
New Adventurer

Postby glorysongbird » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:34 pm

gremlin herder= useless person ..hence its useless to try and herd a gremlin

mire hag= well mire hag

ah for the love of ben and cory!! hehe exasperated shout

to balthazar with you= like saying go to h*^L

Borsk
Adventurer

Postby Borsk » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:40 pm

"Lest ye forget Old Ryndall!"

ah, but what does it mean:)?

Ambrose
New Adventurer

Postby Ambrose » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:57 am

Perhaps it could mean "You're getting lazy" in the sense of "Balthazar's still out there and even Ryndall fell, so quit slacking and make with the hunting." Can't think of a single time i'd criticize someone for slacking, though, as i do it often myself.

Or perhaps it could be used to discourage arrogance, implying that Ryndall fell mainly because they didn't prepare themselves well for the possibility of an attack, arrogant that they had defeated the dark lord once already. It works with the generally understood arrogance that Enchanters (our intellectuals) can be attributed with.

Borsk
Adventurer

Postby Borsk » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:32 am

Lest ye forget Old Ryndall!

I meant it to be something like 'remember the alamo'...but I'm not sure what that means.

'Old Ryndall!' would mean something like.. we 'all stood together' and fought for a greater purpose.. freedom, apple pie, borsky's brew, the smile on a child's face.. etc etc..

It could be used to defuse arguments between people in the inn (that they shouldn't be fighting each other)
or 'defeatism' in the face of the task before us..
or

carlo aggaruzzi
I talk WAY too much

Postby carlo aggaruzzi » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:07 am

(plays Mylor Clearspring)

"Remember the Alamo" was a rallying cry for those who fought to break Texas away from Mexico. I believe the French Foreign Legion has a rallying cry associated with Camaron or Camerone, another glorious defeat against overwhelming forces.

Sam Fraydye
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Sam Fraydye » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:22 am

Ambrose wrote:Perhaps it could mean "You're getting lazy" in the sense of "Balthazar's still out there and even Ryndall fell, so quit slacking and make with the hunting." Can't think of a single time i'd criticize someone for slacking, though, as i do it often myself.

Or perhaps it could be used to discourage arrogance, implying that Ryndall fell mainly because they didn't prepare themselves well for the possibility of an attack, arrogant that they had defeated the dark lord once already. It works with the generally understood arrogance that Enchanters (our intellectuals) can be attributed with.

You don't know that the citizens of Valorn re-took Old Ryndall, do you? :D

Thomas Covenant
I talk WAY too much

Postby Thomas Covenant » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:04 am

Perhaps Cameroon Mylor ?
Thats deffinetly a country - that the French were in during the "colonial times"

Venus Darkmoon
Veteran

Postby Venus Darkmoon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:52 am

I've heard the expression "Remember the Maine", does anyone know what that means?

"May you accidentally de-equip your pants!" - self explanatory :wink:

SeleneofAdmin
New Adventurer

Postby SeleneofAdmin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:48 am

"Remember the Maine" refers to the battleship "Maine" which was blown up in Havana Harbor in February of 1898. The Maine was the first American steel battleship, and was built entirely in America. When it sailed to Havana, Cuba, it rested in Havana Harbor for about three weeks. Then in the morning, it suddenly exploded, and while the Navy launched an investigation, nothing conclusive was decided as to the cause of the deaths of 290 men.

Thanks to the so called 'yellow journalism' of that time, Spain, who was also represented in the harbor, was accused of attaching an underwater mine to the ship and exploding it from shore. The United States actually declared war upon Spain in April, and pretty much wiped out their fleet. Peace was signed in August, I believe, and everything continued from there.

So... there you go. Mini history lesson.
"A councilor ought not to sleep the whole night through, a man to whom the populace is entrusted, and who has many responsibilities."-Homer (800 BC - 700 BC), The Iliad

Selene
Flunkie
Slave labor to the guys who run Grimoire Entertainment, Inc.

Venus Darkmoon
Veteran

Postby Venus Darkmoon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:26 pm

Thank you 8) Every day is a learning experience on DG :wink:

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:46 pm

You've got your brains through the ogre side of your family - stupid

Even a bunny bites harder than you hit with your sword - weak

You look like you've just seen Balthazar himself! - looking scared

May the sewer rats revolt and hang you from the tower of town hall! - insult

Thorin the Dainty.

And yes, I am fully aware that currently it says so to the right, rather than the left, which used to be the location for said line, but I am simply too lazy to change it for you.

Venus Darkmoon
Veteran

Postby Venus Darkmoon » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:54 pm

"You see like the Ring's light" - you have a penetrating intelligence/shrewdness.

"It would take a lockpick to bend you!" - you have firmly held opninions; this could be an insult or admiring depending on context

MVL
Experienced Adventurer

Postby MVL » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:03 pm

Even a bunny bites harder than you hit with your sword - weak

who says bunnies are week!!
Turn your ears for the voice of greed and you can turn a gift for one, into a gift for many.
-Elfwisdom

Waiting................

superduck
I talk WAY too much

Postby superduck » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Do you attack with your teeth? :wink:

Thorin the Dainty.

Lyndhen.
Experienced Adventurer

Postby Lyndhen. » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:02 pm

very sharp and pointy :)

Ambrose
New Adventurer

Postby Ambrose » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:35 pm

Dagnabbit, Old Ryndall was retaken two days before i posted. And somehow i completely missed the "Remember the [insert significant battle or loss here]" reference. My brain must've been switched to the "off" position that night.

Did anyone propose time increments yet? Without "minutes" i've been avoiding "seconds" entirely, so to refer to smaller increments of time i've been saying "halfmarc", "quartermarc", and "eighthmarc". Not exactly in the full spirit of this thread, but it does qualify as Valornian terminology.

Will there be a glossary on the links page or is THIS the glossary itself?

Return to “Tales of Adventure”