Knight's Fall: Eve of Battle

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Knight's Fall: Eve of Battle

Postby Blythe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:58 pm

OOC: This would occur between Episode II and Episode III.
I did not write it as an episode within the tales, because it occurred in public. However, it was a pivotal moment before their plan could succeed. This scene took only a few minutes to play out; but contained hours upon hours of writing... trading inspirational videos/songs... and rewriting some more, for all three of us. I think that the preparation for the eve-of-battle speech brought us closer as players and fine tuned how our characters synchronized from this point forward in their lives.

It's hard to say what effect faith and trust has on people - but the faith and trust of the those that followed the rebel knights into an uncertain battle to save the High Queen had a remarkably profound effect. And for that, these episodes are my way of saying thank you - to all of you - in ways that Raffe cannot.

(Also it was posted to the forum previously here.)
--------------

Eve of Battle

The crowd was larger than they expected. New team members were quickly assigned to section commanders. Another cleric to Gold team, one more rogue to Blue team. The details were re-hashed and last marc updates made as they waited for their 'guest' to arrive at the specified marc so that they may begin. Everyone was restless. Excitement, mixed with fear created a crazed anticipation that buzzed through the crowd. All the equipment was checked and rechecked; accounted for and dispersed as needed.

Then she arrived. A cloaked woman stepped forward from the crowd and came to stand beside the three junior knights. She gave them a quick, quiet greeting and the crowd hushed at the sight of her arrival at the center of everyone's attention. Her posture straightened and she stood tall as she cast aside the cloak that hid her identity.

T'yandra Stallhart the Holy stood before them. She had been the key to all of their preparations and had acquired the support of the Archmage that would ensure their entry to save the High Queen.

T’yandra observed the crowd through serious gray eyes. Her dark hair, kept tightly bound, framed her face. She had come battle ready with holy weapons and armor.

Questions and comments were whispered through the crowd, as the buzz of anticipation gave way to both surprise and relief from her presence.

T’yandra spoke with a voice of practiced authority, “Good people of Valorn; brave and honorable adventurers all. It is time that you know that I have been assisting these Iron Knights with their plans. It is with great confidence that I can assure you that the Archmage Azeraphel has discovered a way for us to gain entry into Balthazar’s fortress.
I also feel that you should know that Hojo, Raffe and Cody have made these arrangements with great risk to their freedoms and titles. It is not lightly that we ask you all to follow us, risking your own lives, now to bring our High Queen back safely.”

Raffe made eye contact with Hojo, giving him a nod that was the signal to move forward.

Hojo stepped forward, raising his voice to be heard clearly among all that gathered, "Today is the day we have been waiting for."
An instant quiet fell over the crowd of as many adventurers as had ever been seen in one place turned their attention to him.
"Our Enemy has been relentless and cruel for these past few cycles. The Milltown Guards were killed at their posts. Branishor was assaulted on such a massive scale, we thought we might have lost the city and your homes have been targeted again and again. High Queen Cordelia was taken." Hojo's voice ended as clear and resolved as it began.

Raffe took a half step forward as well, coming shoulder to shoulder with Hojo, "Today, we say enough. Today, we take our destiny into our own hands." He drew a deep breath, the slight shudder of nerves dissipating as the continued, "For a long time you were just rogues, clerics, warriors, enchanters and initiates fighting wildly against the darkness. Now you fight in coordination against the Horde and tribes that plague our lands.
Many leaders among us have stepped forward. We are not merely adventurers. We are not play things for this Demon Lord and his minions. We will not jump at the Criers call; we will not be held down by the darkness. We are Defenders of Valorn."

Cody stepped forward next, flanking Raffe on the side opposite Hojo, "Today… This day, this marc, this moment. We as Defenders of Valorn, will bring light to the darkest pits of Balthazar’s fortress.
This is the moment we have all been waiting for. The moment we take back what is ours; the moment we start to fight back."

Raffe's voice was softer in tone, but just as clear as he spoke again, "We have not always made the best decisions. We have quarreled amongst you and we have made mistakes. The Order has not always been popular among all of you. The Order itself was secret for a very long time. No more."

Hojo motioned to T'yandra with the arm on the open side of him, "It is with the help of our ally from Branishor, T’yandra, that we come by a way to assault the fortress that holds our Queen captive." Then raised his arm high, hand closed in a first, "Ready yourselves, because now is the marc we march to war!"

The three knights moved in unison as they brought their closed fists to their hearts, gauntlets clanging against breast plates, "For the Queen! For Valorn!"

The crowd responded as they had hoped.Cheers and shouts of support and victory echoed around them. Enthusiasm boosted their confidence as they followed their leaders to take the fight to the Demon Lord for the first time in memory.
Last edited by Blythe on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Blythe
I talk WAY too much

Re: Knight's Fall: Eve of Battle

Postby Blythe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:06 pm

(An important addition has been made- as I was reminded that T’yandra actually spoke first. My inistial oversight has been corrected and many thanks for the assist!)
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am :D
Raffe Rychmin

10x2

Return to “Tales of Adventure”