An Old Battle Tale

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Turcko
Veteran

An Old Battle Tale

Postby Turcko » Sun May 29, 2016 1:01 pm

OOC: So... I was doing some spring cleaning and stumbled upon a written essay I did around when I started playing DG. It's dated February 26th 2005. This was for creative writing in my language class, and I found it quite boring to have to do these essays, so decided to create a tale of the game I was getting to love. Keep in mind my teacher didn't play DG, so a few creative liberties were taken and some things were simplified :)

The Battle of Dundee
Valorn is a land under the constant threat of the armies of the demon-king Balthazar. Valorn's only hope are the many adventurers that fight daily to keep the few reamaining free cities safe. One of those cities is Dundee, little more than a few houses around an old castle of the Order of Iron Knights, it's an ideal area for the young ones that wish to become adventurers and eventually master one of the four professions: warrior, cleric, enchanter or rogue.

Ignatius dodged a sword swing aimed at him. Both fighters were sweating and completely focused while training with their wooden swords. Ignatius and Turcko were young apprentices, both training to become initiates. Having enlisted at the service of Lord Zanaan at the same time, soon they developed a certain healthy rivalry and both had great dreams of magnificent destinies where they faced the demon hordes single-handedly in glorious victory and were known throughout the lands.
On the following turn they were both set to fully become adventurers, at last being allowed to leave Dundee in search of fame and fortune. Turcko was short and bulky, dark and thick hair worn short and piercing eyes. He often had a grim and concentrated face which led to keep those that didn't know him at a distance. Ignatius was almost the opposite, being tall and having shoulder length straight hair the color of hazel, he often had an amused look and some witty comment always ready.
They both knew that in Valorn no place was safe, so they took their training seriously. Sometimes too seriously. They had both lost count to the number of bruises, scratches and light fractures they had caused each other. While they were fighting this time, looking for any weakness in each other that could be exploited, Lord Zanaan entered the training yard, smiling upon seeing his two pupils.
"Good afternoon boys. You have been at it since dawn, I guess it's time for a break."
They both exchanged a last defying look and lowered their swords. As one they both replied with tired voices "Good afternoon Lord Zanaan".
"Follow me, both of you. Your ceremony of initiation as adventurers will be next turn and you must get ready. Tonight there will be a feast in your honor and I want you both washed, well dressed and rested".
They both exchanged another look and followed Zanaan out. The castle of Dundee was showing some signs of age, although it was still sturdy. In this particular corner of Valorn it had been too long since demons attacked and the need to keep the castle in top condition was sometimes forgotten. Walking through the large torch lit corridors, the three walked to the dining hall where they parted ways, each moving to their own room.

They only saw each other a few marcs later when all the warriors, enchanters and clerics of Dundee were seated on the tables of the dining hall. Ignatius and Turcko seemed rather uncomfortable with their ceremony vests, which looked like a strange cross between a flower and a bundle of broccoli due to the tight model and the abundance of quilling.
Dinner went by with no major incidents, everyone eating, drinking and singing and trying to guess which path the two young boys would end up choosing in the future. Suddenly, a guard stormed through the hall doors. He had his helm under his arm but the sword was unsheathed.
"Everyone! The gates of Dundee are under attack! Balthazar's demons seek to bring them down at this very moment. If they get in... I fear the worst!". When he finished speaking the man fell on his knees, a deep and bleeding wound on his back. Seeing this, Lord Zanaan stood up and asked for silence, seeking to calm the wave of whispers that was rising.
"Isoyami, please see to the guard's wounds. The rest of us, to arms! Dundee calls for aid!".
Isoyami the cleric went quickly to the guard's side, and all others stood up and readied their gear: swords, staves, bows, daggers... they were all quickly on the hands of the gathered adventurers. Turcko and Ignatius remained seated and exchanged a look. This action of exchanging looks as quite common for them, and it usually meant they were both thinking the same thing. They both stood up and walked to Zanaan. "Lord Zanaan, what are our orders?". He looked at them in surprise "You will both stay here. This isn't a battle for untested boys not yet bloodied. You have no idea what it means to fight demons. It won't be wooden swords you would be facing, but real, coldblooded killers."
With these words, Zanaan dismissed the two boys with a wave of his hand a grabbed his own sword, the Blade of Dundee, passed down through the ages to the guardians of the castle. Every adventurer left the hall, leaving Turcko and Ignatius alone to exchange yet another look.
"You want to go too, right?" Turcko asked.
"Of course! This is our chance to prove our worth!"
"Then let's head to the armory. I desperately need to get out of this... dress!".
They both headed in wide steps to the armory. Most of what was there wasn't cleaned or used in ages, and when they arrived there they even saw some signs of rust on a few blades. Even so, they managed to find two good swords and shields and a pair of daggers. They each grabbed a sword and shield and tucked a dagger in their boots and went in search of armor. These were in even worse condition than the weapons, but each of them found a light leather armor and that were a vast improvement over the ceremony dresses they had before.
After adjusting their new gear, they ran out of the castle and into the city itself. The streets were deserted, doors and windows shut and the lights off. However, coming from the far town gates they could hear screams and the sounds of blade and magic. They both approached slowly and carefully, backs against the walls of the closest house, and tried to peek around the corner. The sight would forever be imprinted on their memories: the gates trembling from the impacts of something unseen on the other side, demons crawling from the top of the walls in seemingly endless numbers. Many adventurers tried to stop the tide, clerics healing and blessing, warriors fighting fiercely and enchanters trying to keep the gates holding through magic. The defenders of Dundee were outnumbered five to one and several human bodies were already on the ground and beyond the help of any cleric. A split marc after the boys took their look at the scene, the gates went flying wide, taking three more adventurers with them. The demon that stormed into town in fury was enormous and held in his hands a dark steel bar with spikes on the top. Lord Zanaan was fighting alone further away from the entrance, trying to secure an area where the walls had come down. Turcko and Ignatius exchanged a look and rushed into battle, blades held strong. Two demons immediately noticed them and went to face them, claws dripping blood and jaws open wide howling in challenge. Claws and blades came together in a clash far stronger than the boys anticipated, and it was by very little and a lot of luck that they managed to fell the demons. However, as soon as those two were slain, two more took their place. Now that the gates were open, even more of the creatures were pouring in. By luck or chance, Thorin appeared out of nowhere and in an instant the heads of both demons were no longer where they should be. Thorin belonged to the fourth adventurer kind: the rogues. Although they didn't associate much with the other professions, the rogues always showed up in times of need. Turcko and Ignatius noticed several shadowy figures on the rooftops, raining daggers on the demons that kept pouring through the gates and up the walls.
Thorin grabbed the two boys with surprising strength and dragged them to an alley behind the building. "I thought you had orders to remain inside the castle."
Turcko and Ignatius exchanged a look "Indeed we had, but if the battle was lost it would be as safe as out here anyway."
"The battle will be lost if we have to spend time saving young fools." Thorin scolded.
The youngsters blushed. They both knew well that it was only selfish to go out and try to prove their value. They were getting ready to go back to the castle when suddenly another demon attacked Thorin from behind, piercing his leg with sharp claws. The head of this monster was also shortly on the ground, split from its body. Thorin was holding two blades with a defiant look, but his leg was now useless and he couldn't move. He turned to the two boys with a now pained expression "Since you're already here... might as well stay... get a cleric... I'll hold".
Turcko and Ignatius ran back into Dundee's square, now the main battlefield, and started looking for Isoyami. After facing two more small demons, they found him kneeling next to a rogue that had lost an arm. "Hold still Faithless, all will be well" the cleric whispered to her while easing the pain with his holy light. With a smile on her lips, the rogue grabbed a dagger with her remaining hand and sent it flying into a nearby demon's eye. Shortly after her head fell numb and her eyes closed, the smile remaining. Isoyami uttered a short prayer and stood up, noticing the two boys.
"Weren't you two told to stay in the castle?" Unlike Thorin, Isoyami posed the question with a smile, as if he knew all along what would happen.
"Thorin is injured and requires aid. He asked us to find a cleric." the boys said with urgency.
"The Dainty is in trouble? Very well then, take me to him". The three headed to the alley where now the headless bodies of three more demons were piled. Thorin was there against a wall, gasping for breath. "About time!" he grunted.
Isoyami approached and his hands lit with a pleasant withe light aimed at the rogue's leg. When the light faded the wound was gone and even the two boys found themselves renewed from basking in its warmth.
With a thankful nod, Thorin vanished into the shadows. Isoyami also nodded to the boys and rejoined the fight. Turcko and Ignatius followed and found themselves in the chaos that was now Dundee's square, the memories of the joyful everyday life now fading. The enormous demon that had shattered the gates was still rampaging around, although his thick skin was now covered in daggers and dark blood poured from several deep cuts, he showed no sign of intending to stop.
"We're down to half our numbers and they show no signs of weakness. This battle is lost..." Isoyami said sadly.
"But then... Dundee will fall?" Turcko asked is dismay.
"It will be damaged and in the hands of demons for a while. But we will organize a large scale attack and take it back, worry not"
"And what of the dead?" Ignatius asked?
"Don't fear young one. Every adventurer killed in battle is returned to life by the grace of Cory. That's why it was so important that you two stayed in the castle. You are not adventurers yet."
They both exchanged a guilty look, realizing their mistake.
"Oh I'm not scolding you. Most of us would have done the same. Who doesn't feel the need to fight even when success is a dim chance? I think for now it's best to take you two to safety from where we can retreat to Milltown".
As soon as he was finished speaking, Isoyami was pierced from the back by sharp claws. Two flying demons fled, cackling wickedly. The cleric fell on his knees, blood coming in large amounts from his wounds. "Bad time to die... Don't do anything foolish... run!". With these words the cleric fell. The two boys stood there for a split marc, before blind rage took them over. They grabbed their swords and ran furiously into battle. Each of them killed two demons before finding themselves before the colossal demon. It turned to them and just laughed, raising his iron club high and bringing it down into the ground, making it tremble.
Further away, they could see Zanaan fall beneath a countless horde of demons, the sheer numbers overwhelming him. For a moment the Blade of Dundee could still be seen bright among the twisted bodies, but even that was eventually gone.
On the rooftops, Thorin as being assaulted by the flying demons and the boys saw him get carried into the air and dropped outside the walls, where he would be facing the whole enemy army. During the fall they saw him throw a dagger that pierced the throat of the demon that had carried him, taking it down.
Ignatius and Turcko were sent flying by a swing of the colossus club. They both hit the wall of Dundee and slid down into the ground. With several broken bones, none of them was able to move. The huge demon approached and as he was getting ready for the final blow to turn the boys into pulp, the World Crier, the teller of time, announced midnight and the start of a new turn. This was followed by terrible pain and then... darkness.

The messenger stormed into the Throne Room and knelt before High King Deek, holding a parchment to the ruler. "A message from Lord Zanaan. It says Dundee has been overrun by Balthazar's armies and calls for aid in mounting an attack to retake the city. It also asks for everyone to keep an eye out for two young boys, likely dead, Turcko and Ignatius".
High King Deek rose from his throne. Despite his age, the king was sturdy and showed formidable agility. "See that it's done. Send word to Islander and have him lead the attack. And spread word to have those boys found. The message says anything about why they should be considered dead?".
"It seems they weren't adventurers yet, my king" the messenger replied.
The High King frowned. It was indeed a pity to lose two promising adventurers. With the town overrun, there was little chance that they were alive.

Turcko opened his eyes. He was in the outskirts of a forest. Nearby he could see a Life Monument. These were spread through Valorn and pointed the places where adventurers were brought back to life by the Gods. Ignatius was nowhere to be found. Turcko was about to rise when the God Cory himself appeared before him. "I see you're awake already. You were quite lucky.".
"I don't understand, I should be dead."
"Indeed. But you were becoming an adventurer the next day, and if you recall, the Crier announced midnight before your death."
"That makes sense... I guess. What of Ignatius?".
"Also alive, somewhere in Valorn."
"And where are we?".
"Why would I know? I'm a God, not a map maker. Anyway, you seem to need new gear.".
A sword and armor appeared on the ground, both imprinted with Cory's crest. "Use these well." Saying these words, Cory disappeared leaving Turcko alone. He grabbed the God's boons and equipped them, preparing to brave the lands of Valorn. "Who knows? Maybe I'll find Ignatius. That fool had broken at least one more bone than I did, and I'll never let him hear the end of it"

Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Re: An Old Battle Tale

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Sun May 29, 2016 3:10 pm

OOC: Thats rather well written. Was there more to it?

Turcko
Veteran

Re: An Old Battle Tale

Postby Turcko » Sun May 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Ooc: I'm afraid it was a one text thing. I did spend more time gaming than writing back then :)
Turcko, Falx Monde, Ivan Monde, Argoth

Return to “Tales of Adventure”