Balthazar's Fortress and Hope Renewed.

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Olivia Pratt
Experienced Adventurer

Balthazar's Fortress and Hope Renewed.

Postby Olivia Pratt » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Though I wrote of this in my journal I felt that I should share this tale. Maybe it will give others the hope it has given me.

Last turn was the most exciting turn ever! I went to Balthazar’s Fortress with a group of other adventurers who were attempting to rescue the Archmage from the Demon Lord’s evil clutches!

The land surrounding his fortress was black and dead. There were mass graves as far as the eye could see. Some sort of dark spell was keeping those poor souls from reforming at any life monument. Foul smelling gasses swirled up from the ground and the sky was heavy with dark clouds. The atmosphere was truly oppressive.

A large immutable wall encompassed the Demon Lord’s home. Once we reached the base of it, we spent a few marcs making certain everyone was fully blessed, enchanted and healed before heading up. One member of the party tried to scout the way ahead and became infected with Darkness Sickness. It was decided that we would continue on in spite of this. When everyone was ready, we began the climb.

Touching that barrier was like touching human skin. It felt warm and alive somehow. A dark hatred seemed to radiate from the stones. I got no sense of an intelligence from them, only the dull mindless gibbering of an idiot machine. I blocked it out as best I could and continued to climb.

The creatures blocking our way were fierce and difficult to fight. I had my hands full trying to heal as many in the group as I could. My weak powers really didn’t seem to be much help, but thankfully there were other clerics in the group that were more advanced.

Twice we became stuck on the wall, unable to move forward until the fighters were able to heal. We waited many marcs at one point, clinging to the wall, hoping the enchanters in our group would be able to return with reinforcements. Arguments broke out among some of the people in the party. Perhaps during this, Balthazar looked down from his mighty fortress and smiled. Dissent is surely his meat and bread.

I passed the time with Elly. She held out a small box with paints inside. I dipped my finger in the paints and drew two smiley faces on the wall. One of gold and the other pink. The faces contrasted so brightly with the gloomy surroundings that I felt a spark of hope rising in my chest. The squabbling stopped and some of the others in the group even chuckled at the sight of my silly painting. I could almost sense the stones trying to cringe away from the bright colors.

Finally, after many grueling battles, we made it past the creatures. We found a section of wall that appeared to have been scratched. There are those in the group that believe the markings are from someone named Tyrell. I don’t really have any theories about who made the marks, but I do have hope.

Though we were unable to rescue the Archmage, I feel that, if we can make it that far up the wall, eventually we’ll make it to the top. When we do, then perhaps we will succeed in our rescue attempt.
If Valorn is to survive, we must embrace our weaknesses and turn them into our strengths. We can not do this alone. Alone we accomplish very little, but together we can face any challenge. - Anonymous

Brisingr Blaze
Social Leech

Re: Balthazar's Fortress and Hope Renewed.

Postby Brisingr Blaze » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:03 am

Nicely written, Olivia.

Synvasti Shymere
Adventurer

Re: Balthazar's Fortress and Hope Renewed.

Postby Synvasti Shymere » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:49 am

Oh, lovely telling, Olivia. My gratitude to you for sharing your story of the climb. Gratitude also for the smiley faces - let it be known that our graffiti artists are more dexterous and determined than those of the enemy! -- Ss
I long for the song of the morning, the dancing of shadows at dusk, and the silence that closes the night.

Return to “Tales of Adventure”