Behind the Teeth

Post here with tales of your in-game adventures, as well as any special events, quests, or invasions.
Nih Betodaru
Veteran

Behind the Teeth

Postby Nih Betodaru » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:14 pm

The following account is a biography of Nih Betodaru. I suspect there will be several entries in this journal concerning the man, separating fact from fiction, truth from myth, man from shark.

First entry. Here I cover the basic questions with the man, where he is from, his family, his friends, etc.

My personal identity will remain hidden, as I do not wish to lose the contacts and friends I have in Valorn for speaking to such a man.

I requested a meeting with the Shark, the Former Lord, Nih Betodaru. He insisted it be at night on a dock protruding from the Royal Road south into the Lake. I arrived early, having heard the man does not look well upon late arrivals, and made myself comfortable. For three marcs I waited, until the dark of night was as deep as it could possibly be, when I first noticed I wasn't alone. There was a set of green eyes, enticing, staring at me from the other end of the dock. It was certainly the man I was waiting to meet, but how did he slip by me without a single board creaking? A nervous shiver ran down my spine. I forced myself to calm down, but my voice betrayed me as I called out to those eyes. The man laughed, his voice raspy and low, but, nevertheless, he slipped out of the darkness that enveloped him, and, as silent as the wind, sat down before me. I pulled my quill and parchment up, using it to feebly shield my body from his cold gaze.

What is your name?

I am called many names, but I only have one: Nih.

Betodaru is not my true name, it was a phrase said as I made my way down the walkways of Caernivale. 'Bet or Dare you.' As for the other names you hear, Thief, Sharktooth, Sharky, Extortionist...There is usually always a reason found behind each moniker.

Where are you from?

I was born on the outskirts of Caernivale, raised within the city. Until I was a young boy, I ran supplies with... At this point, his demeanor changed from a predator, to a man. a boy. My friend. There was an attack on the platform and he died. His parents, as we all were, had no way out of the city to Jensen, the closest healer. After that, things went downhill fast. My family was forced from the city for reasons I will not share. It was then, that I slipped away. I spent a year or so, wandering around the lands, before finally coming back to Caern. The residents didn't recognize me, and it was then I began to amass a fortune of debts and favors. Finally, upon my twentieth year, I left Caern and went to the mountains, where I stayed until my coming to Dundee.

You mentioned your family, are they still alive? Do you know where they are?

Dead. Each of them. If they aren't, they should be.

His eyes flashed with a sense of hatred at this point, and so I quickly left the subject matter alone.

What about the friend, is he something you'll discuss further?

He simply stared at me, his lips curling up into a thin smile. That was when I saw the pointed teeth, with my own eyes, for the first time.

What of the rumor you have no friends now?

His smile vanished at point, and his teeth with it. I wasn't aware I had been clutching so tightly at my cloak, but when his eyes darted down, and I followed his gaze, I nearly jumped from the pale white hands before me. My own hands. He laughed light, but answered the question.

I have a friend, and I am an officer in the Nocturnal Hand. My Fair Leader would say we are all family, and perhaps I even believe that, but I would never directly tell her that. As for the friend, Isolde, His stating of her name was soft, with respect. she is one of the few reasons I am here, still. After the fire, she rescued me from the brink of darkness.

By this point of our conversation, the sunrifter had begun to peek over the horizon, and he called the meeting to an abrupt end. I looked down momentarily to double check my questions, and as I raised my eyes to meet his, hoping to protest and continue, he was gone. In his place was a simple note, "Too hot, we can continue later."

Prompting Character Development since 2013. :wink:

Return to “Tales of Adventure”